More Changes to Come

Tina Marie

ok ladies, I am back and tomorrow morning back to pure program.  I feel like crap.  My gut has been a mess, I am not even sure the trigger, I've had a headache all weekend, and I have just not slept well.  I know it is the food I have been eating.  I have pulled leftovers out of the freezer for tomorrow, and should be well set until Wednesday when I am off again and can get to the store, and do some more cooking. 

My weekend was restful and pleasant.  Had a nice visit with my niece and her son Oliver.  They get big too quick.  Then I went to my sister's.  We visited my mothers grave, had a chance to go through some family photos and just caught up.  Then Casey and I had some time.  We swam in the pool and soaked in the hot tub, saw a couple of movies, and then went to a museum.  Last night we even just snuggled into the bed and read.  Lovey time. 

We warmed up here too, actually hit the 40's.  I took my car to the carwash, along with everyone else, there was a long line, but I figured it was a good day to remove one layer of salt and mud.  Casey wanted to know why we say we just removed a layer and not that it is totally clean now!  Gave me a good laugh.  Tina, I am so sorry about your cat.  It is hard to lose those fluffy companions that become a part of our life.  I have been down this road many times.  So sad.  Also I'm sorry you got the feeling talk.  It is so hard to find that special person.  It becomes a lot of work.  I think you have really stayed strong through all of these emotional upheavals.  You will get through this one too. 

Chrissie, do not let anyone know you have that free time, give yourself a moment of special bliss.  I know when you have a family to keep going and a job too, it is a rare moment to get time for yourself.  Do something for You!

I love those camper shows, though then I want a new rig.  Today when we were at the Henry Ford museum, they had some early campers and RV's from the 20's and 30's.  I actually enjoyed reading through though displays and thinking about how the automobile changed the fabric of our existence. 

Donna, I hope you are not still sick.  I am a bit worried about you.  I know this influenza has been ruthless this year.  And besides that is just no way to spend your birthday.  I hope you are having a happy one!

Well I don't really want to do it but I must, Work.  Ugh.  I have some journal articles to read, a test to prepare and an agenda for tomorrows nurse practitioner meeting.  So off I go.  I will be checking in though with you guys.  I need the accountability.  Have a nice evening.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good evening.  Wow, what a crazy work day!  Did make the day go by very fast. 

Back on program today, M1 sweet potato, sausage hash with egg, in coconut oil.  M2 Sweet potato soup with chicken, some carrots and peppers and an apple.  M3 Sauerkraut, pork, and sautéed spinach, and a blood orange. 

Little hungry, but not to bad. 

Tina I am thinking about you.  Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Hi Ladies ~

Last night was a very hard night - we said good bye to our kitty. She was not good - barely moved when I brought her in, she was trembling as I held her but when the time came - she just laid there (it was so sad)  like all her fight was gone.  (she was a very feisty kitty - and did not have a problem telling you she was one !)

I really wanted a drink after that - and I also made my daughter a pizza so that was tempting me as well...  but I resisted both - and thought "I'm sad - but I can't throw away the last 20 days"   That is exactly why I'm doing this - to help break the ties between emotions and food and alcohol.

Good job Tina. I know it was hard. I'm so sorry about your kitty. Sending warm thoughts. When I did my first 30 days I was right there when my partner left. Wanting to use food as solace. I have for so long. But I feel with this program that is changing. Be proud of the changes you have made too!

Strong day today, m1 scramble of two eggs, onion, asparagus, salmon and olive oil. M2 unrolled cabbage roll and a pear. M3 Czeck meat balls, mashed cauliflower or cabbage (not sure if I can do 2 cabbage meals today) and broccoli

Was supposed to be off today, but ended up going to work part of the day to cover an I'll call. Tomorrow should be shorter day and I can get to the store and do some cooking. Craving some veggie beef soup. Anyone have a recipe out there?

Hi  I am feeling much better today. Just have some of the coughing left.  I haven't been out for the birthday dinner just wasn't feeling up to it. 

We will go in a couple of days.

Tina so sorry about your kitty. Glad she is no longer suffering but I know how you must miss her.

It is your friends loss that he didn't feel the feeling. I am just glad for you you didn't invest more time before you got the message.  There is somebody out there waiting for you and Lori and when the time is right you will meet.

You have been very strong with your eating. That tells you how much you have learned from this and your using what ever tools you have picked up along the way to be accountable to yourself. I tell myself the same thing when I am tempted. That I don't want the last 20 or whatever days to be a waste.

I still think about sweets to some extent but not like I used to. I shouldn't really say sweets because I very seldom ate any kind of dessert.  Never eat candy or cookies.  Mine was in my coffee.  Now I do look at the paleo desserts and want them. Weird.

I had 2 eggs, bacon and spinich for M1  M2 was butternut squash soup and 1 hb egg and sugar snap peas.  Dinner is paleo fried and baked chicken, Roasted small red potatoes and not sure on the veggie yet.

Chrissie hope you enjoyed your time to yourself  and your mid week trip. I think your meals sound great. Your stew and shepherd pie sounds like real comfort food.  I never cook with lamb. Years ago I had the real small lamb chops and liked them but lamb is kind of pricey and I am not sure if I would like it other ways.  Tina and Lori do you cook with lamb much?

Chrissie I also think you are on the right track with your eating. You are very aware and listen to your body when you eat off your plan. I am sure you will also continue to lose weight eating the way you are if that is what you want to do. It sounds like you have paleo down.

Lori I hope you are feeling better being back on track. Glad you and Casey enjoyed your trip. Happy to hear your weather has warmed up some.  We are in the low 60s which sounds great but we need the snow and rain.

Ginger - so glad that you are on the mend !  and it sounds like you are right on track as well.

Thank you ladies for your kind words - it does mean a lot to me.

M1 was 2 fried eggs and a spaghetti squash fritter -  I'm still surprised they turned out so good - even warmed up

snack a 1/2 coffee cup of zucchini soup and an orange

M2  stew

M3  made Cold Citrus Shrimp Zoodle bowl (from www.paleomg.com)  but instead of cold - I ate it warm and it was delish (I wasn't going to wait for it to get chilled !)This would most definitely be good cold as well.  If any of you are shrimp eaters - you should try this.  I love the zucchini noodles and the spiraler (sp?) worked great at making the noodles.   (recipe is on her website)

Chrissie can't wait to her about your "me" day !

Lori - great job on having such a good day !

day 22 !!   whoot whoot !!

M1 zucchini soup and 2 boiled eggs

M2 will be stew

M3 will be same for M1 - actually it will be a mini meal to hold me over until I get home from the RV/Camper show.

Slept ok last night - which is nice ...haven't been sleeping the best because I was keeping an "ear" out for my cat and the last night she slept right next to me so I didn't sleep so well because I didn't want to disturb her

I have off tomorrow until Tues and I am looking forward to it !   Will take little man to the Children's Museum, and probably hit up the YMCA so he can burn off the energy that he has !   So it will be a busy weekend.  Will bring him back to mom and dad on sunday - so then I will be able to get some cooking done and maybe even take a Nap !! 

Work is opening up some more positions for working at home... giving it some thought - that would help cut down some of my expenses - well atleast the driving expenses.   Waiting on some last minute details before I make any sort of decision.    This is a wrench thrown into the mix - as I was looking at claims -  we will see how it all comes out in the wash

I hope that everyone is having a great day !

Good morning ladies. I ended up having green beans and cole slaw with the fried chicken and roasted potatoes.

Dressing for the slaw turned out good. No sugar so I soaked a couple of dates and chopped them fine. M1 this morning eggs bacon and a mixed veggi thing of brussels sprouts, kale and several other finely chopped veggies. It was left over from a birthday lunch. M2 will be lettuce wraps of buffalo chicken and avocado and 1/2 apple. M3 left overs from last night with butternut soup replacing the green beans. Tomato and avocado on the side.

I am feeling much more like normal today.  Feels so good to feel good.

Tina working from home sounds very tempting. Would you spend some time at the office so your not cut off from the adult interaction. That is what I missed when I retired but I didn't miss having to be someplace at a certain time everyday.

How old is little man? Enjoy your time off it sounds like fun.

Hi everyone, I'm still around, just so busy juggling stuff.  I'm working a stretch of 7 nights, and I've been on call with helping out with families!   My 'day off' on Tuesday was nice, hubby and I drove out to a lovely little old village that had been around since the Roman invasion, there are lots of historic sites near us as we are in 'Hadrian's Wall' country. Indeed, the village where I grew up had a stretch of the ruins of the wall in a nearby field, me and my friends used to play our games round there, never really appreciating the historical significance.   Indeed, many of the villages from here to Cumbria - the stretch of the Wall - are built with stones pilfered from the wall after the Romans left!   While we were there we visited an antiques centre - it gets scary when you recognise many of the things being sold as antiques used to be around our grandparents homes! 

Nice to see you back on form Donna, Tina I hope things turn round for you soon, and Lori, don't work too hard either!  

Back to the grind, there's no rest for the wicked! 

Cx

Good morning ladies. Having a lazy morning on the couch with my cup of coffee and a good book. Casey is still sleeping, so I'm just enjoying the quiet.

Tina sounds like you will have a busy weekend. Hope you enjoy yourself. Seems working from home could be a plus. Though I see Donna's point about adult interaction.

Chrissie, your wondering a sound delightful. I'll have to do a little reading to refresh my memory of that history.

Donna, your fried chicken and cole slaw sounded yummy. What did you use for the coating for the chicken?

Food wise I'd say I'm hitting 80-90% on program. Casey is going through a "I want to be a vegetarian, don't like that we have to kill animals" phase. Sort of at odds with my paleo plan. It is a work in progress. So tonight I'm going to make a Mexican dish with a chocolate mole sauce. I'm also getting ready to make some beef bone broth. I hope I have enough bones. Then I'll make some veggie beef soup

Have a good Saturday

Hi

Lorie I used an egg wash and dipped in almond flower  fried to brown then baked the chicken.  It was really good I like the almond flower a lot. It is called Best Fried Chicken and is on The Paleo comfort foods site. I just googled Best fried Chicken and paleo comfort food came up.  Its a good recipe and has other spices that you mix into the almond flower.

I just stopped in for a minute. I am leaving to go to a University basketball game.  I never watch it on tv but enjoy the local University games.

Have a great weekend everybody.

Hi Ladies -  wow where does the time go ??? !!

2 more days and then this 30 is done !!   I can't believe how much more stressful this was - I did not struggle on the first one like I have done with this one.

Had to really pay attention when I was getting snacks for little man, it was so hard to not put that Dorito in my own mouth - or have a little dip or cheese and crackers... or a  coooookie !!

This time I am going to do a formal reintro to rice... and Cheese.  I'm only doing to cheese to see if I will have some issues with it.  I do miss having a slice or two but don't fore see me adding cheese to every meal.   I may do a reintro of specific dairy items - like cream cheese, sour cream and maybe yogurt.   Again I do not miss them entirely - but would like to know if they cause issues.   

I am thinking of buying a Soda Machine - the one where you can make your soda because it turns out Brooke and I like seltzer water w/ juice. We both were craving some soda and I bought some seltzer and juice and it tasted just fine.  Gave me the bubbles that I was looking for

Wow, well done! You've had a lot to deal with Tina as well as staying strong.

My eating has slipped this 7 night shift but I still feel quite well and energised, going to get a grip before it's becoming a habit of grazing again.  So as not to take too much meat in place of veg I'm going to do alternate days vegetarian; I was veggie for years, but poor diet not unsurprisingly, bread cheese and pasta were my basics.  I have just got a lovely recipe book  (English, so the ingredients are more familiar) a vegan who is wheat free too;  it feels like a good thing to do when I come back from my Mini break next week, if we do not get snowed in, ha-ha!  It is blowing across the sea from your east coast as we speak! :)  

have a good weekend ladies.

C x

Hi  I so relate to what you said Tina.  I don't understand why this was so much harder.  The time even passed slower for me.  It felt like 2 months instead of one.  You kept me strong Tina. With all you had going on you still stuck to it so how could I not.

I can't wait to have a glutin free bagel and my good coffee while watching meet the press Sunday morning. Something Doug and I do every Sunday. Its the only day we turn the tv on in the morning.

Do you get much snow in your part of the country Chrissie. We are still in the 50 and 60s.  How are you Lori and Tina doing in the weather department.

Well it's day thirty and you ladies have my total respect for keeping going when the going was tough :) .  I feel such a wimp, but coming off was right for me at the time.  it's easier to just do mini resets.  At least I now recognise the evil bad habits creeping back and nip them in the bud!  

It seems all around us have deep snow while where I am is just sprinkled with a light layer.  That could change though, as more is forecast.  

As if it is not cold enough outside, I have decided the freezer needs a good clean out and defrost, I'm doing it with bowls of hot water and the hair dryer to try and speed the process.    Yesterday I cleared out my wardrobe, now it is temporarily lovely and organised.   This energy is fab, I've told hubby not to stand still or I might start on him next! 

Take care all, and enjoy your treats!

Cx

Well Chrissie you have more energy then I do. My closet/ wardrobe needs to be cleaned out and organized.  I think I procrastinate on things more now that I don't work because I know I can always do it tomorrow.  That can make you lazy.  I think you did the right thing on the food plan Chrissie. It is what works for you and your body is appreciating it. You were not feeling well mentally or physically on it this time.  Lori you also did what felt right to you.

I am just glad we all learned to recognize when a  food bothers us and what makes us feel good.

Hello all, 

Congratulations to those of you who made it through the 30 days.  That is a great accomplishment!  Tina you did incredible, and Donna too despite being so sick.  Chrissie, we did what we had to do.  We are all a work in progress.  I wonder if part of the struggle has been the weather and the lack of seasonal vegetables availability.  I know in the winter I am drawn more to soups and stews plus comfort foods, and in the summer, more salads and fresh produce.  We all did our initial 30 late summer.

We got 3-4 inches of snow on Monday, then another little dusting this am, and rain, turning to ice in between.  It has been miserable weather this week.  Casey ended up with a snow day on Monday.  I know we have not really has a severe winter, but i am ready for some spring green and the ability to get outside and breath some fresh air.  I think as I get older I am becoming a wimp.  I didn't even want to go out and shovel my driveway on Monday.  I did finally do it on Wednesday, but I didn't find joy in being outside.  Chrissie, you are just full of energy and coming off a 7 day stretch.  You are incredible.  Donna I would love to have your 50-60's.  Hopefully when I get to retirement I can spend the winter in warmer climates and then summers in the north.  

Not to make this an excuse, but Casey is desiring to be vegetarian.  Seems like direct conflict with my paleo diet.    I struggle to support her wish to not eat something that has to be killed and knowing I have really felt good on this plan.  As a start I told her we could have meatless Monday's.  My week has been a little out of sorts.  Casey had a stress meltdown, thinking no one likes her at school and that she is doing horribly on her school work.  She also has been frustrated with some fighting at her other mothers house.  I think mostly we are dealing with that puberty hormone surge!  I feel like I have been putting out fires.  Then I had to go to a retreat at work to look at some struggles between the neonatologists and the nurse practitioners.  Ugh!

Today starts a 5 day work stretch for me.  I will stop at whole foods on my way home and pick up some provisions.  I will have some time for just me and hope to settle into a new book in between the bed covers when I get home from work each evening.  

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Lori, you have hit the nail on the head (what a daft phrase that seems) about seasonality of food.   It is far simpler when the days are warm and stores are bursting with fresh produce, and, when it's hot, you just don't want to eat as much.    Looking at how I struggle to eat lots of veg I blame my childhood living in a small village where mum's idea of veg through the week was opening a tin of peas and a tin of carrots - she was liberated from the kitchen!  Fresh veg were for Sundays, with the Sunday roast!    Anyhow, what has inspired me to look again at vegetarian eating is that new book I mentioned - it's called 'simply Ella', who has dealt with her health problems by being not just wheat dairy and sugar free, but meat free too!   Her recipes are simple and the book is lovely, she is light hearted, not preachy.  Maybe looking her up on line will help you with some ideas for Casey.  She also talks sensibly about the nutrition  benefits of the foods she does use.   However we chose to eat, I read a really good description somewhere recently; as long as we chose to JERF (just eat real food, I love that acronym) we'll be ok!!!   Poor you Lori, dealing with not only a hormonal daughter but hormonal adults at work too. Funnily enough when I go back after this holiday, my stat-man training starts  again and I kick off with conflict resolution update, I'll share any tips, ha-ha!    

I truly don't know where the energy surge has come from apart from I have been supplementing with Baobab, touted as the new super-food, and bursting with anti-oxidants.   I got it off good old amazon to support my immune system against work, lots of patients with winter bugs as per. I hope it lasts!  

Donna, I agree with procrastination too, there often many things I put off in favour of doing something more pleasant - like today the kitchen floor needs washing but hubby has just asked if I fancy heading out for a coffee..... guess the answer, LOL!  

Grandson no.1 coming for a sleep over tonight so I'll need some energy for him too, he'll want to play out in the half inch of snow we do have!

Have a lovely weekend, I'll check in when I'm back :)

Lori - I feel your pain... I'm going throught the EXACT same things with Brooke - no friends- home work issues - hormones.  I don't even know who this kid is !  Her doctor and I have discussed anxiety meds (which I really don't want to do - but if it makes school doable - then I have to go with her suggestion) 

I went out Saturday for lunch and dinner... went to Olive Garden (Italian) and had some chicken and gnocchi soup - I thought it was going to be a clear soup - turned out cream.  didn't eat the 4 gnocchi I got in the bowl,  and then a salad.  Also enjoyed a wine drink, it was a white wine w/ fruit puree.  Dinner was Mexican, so I ate chips - and had 1/2 of HUGE mango daiquiri. and a chicken taco salad  (which was iceburg lettuce, chicken, guac and sour cream - pretty boring)   as for the rest of the evening I had 2 drinks that were cranberry juice and southern comfort.

Sunday - had a headache on and off.  I ate clean yesterday - but didn't drink enough water. 

Today will be another compliant day - to get rid of all that junk. !!

Me again !  Fighting another headache today - so made an appt with my back snapper - my neck and shoulders have been really tight -so my guess that is what is causing my headaches.

I weighed myself on Friday - and according to the scale - I didn't lose a single pound - which I don't believe and I will re-weigh myself.  I now fit nicely into size 14, and finally bought a brand new pair of jeans..  I think I will be at this size for a bit until I get my butt moving and get some exercise in.   Yoga starts Wednesay, and I have a dvd I should be doing as well .. so feel free to give me a KICK in the Pants to motivate me.. I'm giving you permission.  I obviously need someone to hold me accountable cuz I'm certainly failing myself in that department.

Life is different without my sweet (obnoxious) cat.  She was my vocal one - and greeted me every day - always let me know when she was hungry - and if I was cooking and not paying attention to her, she would jump up and bite me in the butt... Not even lying.

Hi  Well I lost 2 lbs my granddaughter lost 6. She is real tiny so didn't need to.  My daughter lost 8 and her husband lost 26. Granddaughter thinks she has improved skin but the others didn't really seem to notice other real improvements. 

I had the gluten free bagel w/cream cheese for Sunday breakfast and a margarita watching the super bowl. Other then that I kept the super bowl food compliant. Buffalo chicken tenders, coleslaw, carrot an celery sticks dipped in homemade ranch and a pieces of fresh pineapple with a pieces of yellow bell pepper wrapped in a small pieces of bacon and baked.  Very good.  Also a cup of creamy butternut squash soup. A different recipe then I have used before but still good.  I can't believe I never cooked a butternut squash before whole 30 now I think it is my favorite vegetable. That is something I have really enjoyed on this venture is finding new foods I like that are good for me. Anyway I gained the 2 lbs back already.   It may be inflammation I don't know.  I don't think I would gain 2 lbs of fat over night. But it has hung on for 2 days.

I went to yoga 3 times in the last week and a half and to the gym twice.  Slowly working back into it.  The trick is to make it a PRIORITY and plan everything else around it.  That is what worked for me for a year of going 5 days a week to something. like 3 days a week to yoga, 3 for weights and cardio on weight days a couple times a week or going to zumba. That's to much if your working but you can do it 3 times a week.

Ok time for fessing up.....

I bought a bag of Oreos !!  and ate FIvE  yes 5 of them....  and within hours my stomach was bloated and it was not happy with me at all.  I was looking for the red velvet oreos but couldn't find any.  I love or rather Loved Oreos, would eat the whole bag within just days of buying... Now I don't know that I like them so much.  Funny how before I never noticed the stomach issues, but it is probably because I so much other garbage in my system so oreos wouldn't make much difference.

I didn't even get that response from eating my pecan pie.....  so I guess I will make some pecan pie the next time I would like something sweet and something that I will totally enjoy.

Today I made coconut pancakes w/ some honey and some real maple syrup.  I just had a egg sandwhich with the spaghetti squash fritters as the 'bread'.  Tasted pretty good.  I had roasted a chicken on Sunday - so am going to make a chicken casserole - it usually calls for cream of chicken soup, so I am going to make chicken gravy w/ some coconut milk instead.  I know Brooke will eat this - and I will leave one side without cheese.

There is a chicken nugget recipe on paleomg so going to try that as well as nuggets are still one meat choice Brooke will eat.  So if I can make them, organic and wholesome, instead of processed meat, I will be so happy !   She has now decided she no longer likes almond milk, but I am not really on the milk bandwagon - I think there are too many hormones in it.  I guess I will just need to really shop and find some grassfed, no hormones added.  Without paying an arm and leg.  Wish me luck !!

I cleaned out closet and dresser of all clothes too big and that felt wonderful !!  will donate them to the homeless shelter.   I am in a better frame of mind - and it feels good that I am actually wanted to purge things !

Trying to rearrange my bedroom so I can see where my desk will go - for working at home.  I'm going to get some book cases to put next to my bed to make it look like built in's around my bed.  Then I should be able to empty all the boxes that are sitting in my room...   my stuff has just been waiting patiently for me to find homes for all of it.

Bonnie - You did awesome for the party !  The food sounds wonderful.   I have tried gluten free but it didn't make a difference for me - it still bothered my stomach, so I just going to forego having any bread of any kind.

Chrissie - enjoy your trip !

Lori - you are an inspiration with your desire to stay in the game and keep getting healthy.

off to the dentist - back snapper already did his good dead for the day and now my neck feels wonderful

Archived