Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

Holy crap, Nashville - AWESOME!! Congrats! Madscience, that is awesome!! Nonscale victory!!! :-)

We weighed in this morning and my husband dropped a whopping 33 pounds!!!! We were both in disbelief! 246 to 213!!! Insane! I handed him a fun size snickers because we planned on celebrating with a piece of chocolate and he threw it back at me and said, "Nope, these results are just too good to lose!" At which I shoved my Milky Way into my mouth lol! Didn't taste as good as I remembered though. Today is going to remain whole30 and tomorrow will be nothing crazy - not our usual thanksgiving.

We are in a much better place mentally thank goodness! Can't wait to hear how you are all fairing! Hugs!

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kudos all you Whole 30 finisher (this makes me think they should make a bumper sticker for this,LOL).  I got on the scale and am down about 12 pounds - I couldn't be more pleased.  But wow, Nashvillesugar addict, 20+ pounds, amazing, and Kahaliti's hubby 33?! That seems crazy.

I really don't have much desire to eat "off plan" as of right now.  I will be happy not to scrutinize every label, however, which will make cooking a little easier.

I just went to a local farm and picked up about 30 pounds of grass fed beef.  My next mission is to find chicken, eggs, and pork.  I know there's a pretty big farm near me, so I'll probably be making a trip out there (it's nice to cut the cost of the middleman, but it's still pretty pricey, but it's for the health of my family, right).

So this morning I was looking for something easy to eat for breakfast and saw some pulled pork I'd made for my family (with Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce - mine had a homemade paleo sauce).  It only took two bites, and I had to put it down - grossly sweet.  I'm really surprised at how my taste buds have been altered, and how damamged they likely were before this undertaking.  I'm HAPPY!

@Kahaliti- congrats to you and your husband... great results

@livin- congrats as well 12 pounds is huge!!!

Had some compliant prepackaged salmon for lunch with homemade mayo and some of my cran-cherry sauce... haven't added any honey yet and it was delightfully sweet and tart... guess my tastebuds have reset as well... 

And I just purchased myself my "no food" reward for the 30 days. I fell in love with a cute pair of boots and they are now mine!!! 

Livin4lish - 12 lbs? That's awesome!! And madscience, Nice!! I should have thought of a non-food reward. I ate like 4 pieces of chocolate today and I can't lie, I have a head and stomach ache and feel bloated. Crazy how something that I used to eat no problem (or at least thought no problem) affects me so much now. Guess I really have to keep an eye on my sugar intake.

Hi Everyone - congrats on the amazing success of the past 30 days!!  Pounds lost and control gained. 

livin4lish - 12lbs?  nice!  since we are the same age, I know that is an astounding amount!!!  congrats to you!!  I am so glad you are happy!

kahaliti - you and your hubby could be on the front page of the whole30site with those results,  fabulous!

madsciencem - great idea...the nonfood reward.  nice one!

Nashville - here's to starving the sugar bug and 20lbs?? wow!! 

Yesterday I did have a small glass of wine and a piece of 90% dark chocolate which still tasted sweet.  Both were fine.  No fireworks but it was nice to enjoy a glass with dinner.  I think we will naturally remain eating this way albeit in a less rigid manner.  We had no desire to go rogue.  Hubby had his blood tested and his LDL, HDL and Trigl's all moved in the right way.  Sugars didn't move but all in all he's finally a believer.  Whew.  Paleo here we are :-)

I think the worst is finally behind me w/headache and vertigo.  Scan was clear feel better so far so good this morning.  If that is the case I'll be thankful!

I plan to continue on.  Disappointed I lost so little weight as the eating was easy and I know I wasn't over eating and snacking and heck I do have weight to lose so after today and with some modifications to be a bit less rigid here and there I'll be lurking!  Have a good TG all! 

@Michelle66- I'm glad you are feeling better.  I hope having the stress of the unkown relieved will be of help.

I did indulge a bit too much today, I will admit.  I feel like I'm going to be paying for it tomorrow already. I'm laying in bed and feel like a big wad of yuck is sitting in my stomach (well, even though it was good yuck, I guess it is yuck just the same).  Anyway, my plan for tomorrow and the rest of the weekend is to get back to eating clean, Whole 30 style, then gradually reintroduce without ALL the challenges of a major holiday.  I also fully intend to begin working out more diligently. I want to weight train at least three times per week, and get a good cardio session in two to three times per week.  I do walk daily about 2-3 miles, and I'm naturally pretty active all day long.

I have lost close to 25 pounds since May, and I feel very flabby.  If I could achieve the goal of completing the Whole30, I'm sure I can be successful with getting back on track with working out (and I think I'll take a before picture).

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving!

So happy to see everyone's results and so proud of the acheivements! Good work everyone!!

For myself, I have definitely noticed better skin, better sleep, and not on such an emotional rollercoaster.  I didn't go into this wanting to lose weight, I felt that I had lost a lot after breast feeding and was ok where I was, but I have lost about 7lbs...not going to complain lol I feel pretty good :) Today a co-worker brought in pumpkin cookies with a cream filling....so that was my celebratory item for completing my first W30!

I'm going to start reintroducing dairy, I feel like it was my biggest culprit regarding my skin and feeling bloated, but I guess we will see! I know I have to watch my cravings, I seem to have brought the sugar dragon back to life lately (thinking it's a lot to do with "monthly" timing) so it's just a little mind over matter and telling myself I don't "need" that sugary item. 

Overall I know that I now have the tools to make better choices and it's not as hard as I once made it out to be.  I have really enjoyed cooking more, and trying things I would have overlooked before this journey.  Looking forward to keeping in touch and hearing about your reintroduction of foods!

Awesome job my friends!! :D

Wow it's great to see everyone is keeping up with the program.  I did great on Turkey Day and just had pumpkin pie and stayed compliant.  But on Friday we had Chinese food that was vegetables, chicken, and rice.  Holy moly the next morning I felt like I was hit with a sledge hammer....headache deluxe and every joint in my body was throbbing and swollen.  Too much sodium and msg so clearly there in lies a huge problem.  I feel better tonight, I drank water all day and just did veggies and fruit, so there ya go I'm back on the wagon for sure.  So my plan is to eat at home and eat as close to the program as possible through the holidays.  January 4th the hubby and I are doing 100 days of really strict nutrition.  I'm doing a Whole 100 and I have no idea what his plan is yet (he's vegan) but we've committed to supporting each other through the thick and thin of it all.  This year will be life changing for the both of us nutrition wise and overall health wise.  

Best wishes to us all for better health in the New Year :)

A lot has happened since rolling off on Tuesday.  Headache cycle finally broken.  OMG what a relief.  Insane.  Correlation does not imply causation.  I know that.  Really I do.  Looking back now what on earth would make me think W30 was the cause of my ongoing headache??  anyway.  Feeling pretty good other than the nagging vertigo which is getting better but is still there.  It makes me so very tired and rather than fighting it I just nap.  I'll try and take it easy this week.  Gosh so much about this is about learning to listen to your body and what was I doing?  Fighting mine.

Thanksgiving went well, a pretty W30 compliant dinner all in all and it turned out great.  No one missed the extra ingredients and no one complained afterwards about feeling stuffed and bloated.  I did have a glass of wine and by 9pm felt horrible which was such a drag as it wasn't due to the food.  I had another glass of wine last night and woke up today with a headache.  OK I get it.  No wine for me right now.  I get it.  Not in the cards. 

Today we sent our kid back to college with a box from our freezer and pantry with food we won't eat.  He was thrilled naturally.  Pasta, stew, chili.  Healthy stuff by his standards, not stuff we want to eat right now.

I am settling in to a new awareness that I want to keep at this thing...and it doesn't feel BIG or as hard as I expected.  I do want to add in regular exercise to see if I can accelerate some weight loss.  I'll keep avoiding wine, drink more water, see if I can emphasize more veggies.  I admit when sipping my wine last night I didn't enjoy it a bit when I could "feel it" not that I drank wine for that at all but it really bothered me last night in a new way.  I found myself thinking today, "this is the new me"  I could start another Whole 30 tomorrow and I think it would be really easy but I don't think I need to start as I am already here.  

As I read your post Nashville I thought, our bodies have an amazing capacity to accommodate and adapt to the crap we put in them over time.  Truly.  To hear what happened when you had 1 meal is so telling.  On the flip side, what is possible if we fed them as intended and in a clear manner.  What is possible?  And wow, 30 days hardly seems enough???

I too am really proud of everyone's resolve, results, commitment beyond completion date and hope for the future. 

@Nashville - I am so impressed with your resolve to embark on a Whole100!  Although I truly love eating this way, I find the label reading rather tedious, even though I know it's the safest healthiest route! 

@Michelle - thank goodness your headaches have let up.  Maybe you need to switch to vodka for your drink of choice LOL!  Seriously, though, I read Robb Wolf's book, "The Paleo Solution," and he has some big explanation why clear alcohol mixed with seltzer and lime on an empty stomach is your best option for alcohol consumption.  Something about the lime slowing the insluin spike - not wholly buying it, but I do like vodka : )

So, since completing the Whole30, I have disappointed myself twice already.  Thanksgiving I already fessed up to, but yesterday I had issues.  I had a houseful of teenagers, and started with an innocent little cookie, which spiraled into a couple AND several pieces of candy.  Once again, I am feeling tired and achy today. I am thinking it's got to be the sugar or gluten, or combo, that is causing the pretty serious aches.  

My goal is to continue with weight training at least three times a week, and walking daily.  I will also throw in some more intense cardio as time permits.  Nutritionally, I KNOW I feel better eating paleo.  Better than I have in years.  I truly want to keep this up, since I know it's the best option for my overall well-being.  I know one should never look backwards, but I have been in situations of very good health, only to find myself spiraling out of control.  I made it through thirty days of serious restriciton (which really did not feel restricitve during the process), but I am not sure I have the confidence in myself to maintain.  I truly want this, so I will be working on changing my mindset to believe in myself!

I survived the holiday!!! My Cran-Cherry sauce and my sweet potato pie came out amazing. I had some stuffing on T-day and some potato chips the next day. Stuffing made me feel bloated, potato chips gave me a headache. The rest of the weekend I was pretty good, just had honey as my sweetener in my pie. It's funny how I "think" I really want something and then I consider it and realize it is not worth it to feel bad or not continuing to get the results I want in the gym. Not saying I am going to 100% whole30 compliant, but I am going to be sticking to the paleo thing... 

Glad to hear everyone made it through the weekend and @nashville... a whole 100! that sounds awesome and help from the hubby will be great...

Have a great Monday!!!

Hi everyone!

I'm so impressed by how well everyone is doing! We had house guests in town starting on Monday night, so I had a pretty solid plan in place for pre-Thanksgiving/Thanksgiving dinner. Unfortunately, I wasn't so diligent with post-Thanksgiving planning so there was a bit more off-roading than I would have liked. (Too many turkey sandwiches! And wine, so much wine!)

Then on Saturday, I finally caught the cold that's been floating around my work and social circle for weeks, which didn't help. (The superstitious part of my brain blames going off the W30... ;-P) But today I've got a bunch of compliant food packed and it's time to get this bike back onto the road. :-)

OK

Didn't give anyone my aftermath report. I lost 11 pounds!  195 to 184.  BUT - the HUGE differences -

Cholesterol - 229 to 194

LDL- 142 to 136

HDL - 41 to 44

Glucose -  95 tp 94

A1c - 6.1 to 5.1

AND

Wait for it

Triglycerides

231 to 69.    REALLY! !

That means no Statins for me, and the whole "familial" lipid issues, may just very well be how my familial chain processes sugars, rather than something else.  

Since last Tuesday - 1 week ago - I went back to having some sugars. I had two medium glasses of wine at Thanksgiving, and some Basil Pesto bread bites. and some Sweet Potatoes with brown sugar in them, and a piece of grape pie. Wow..  In addition, I have had small amounts of sugar and some dairy.  AND - splitting headaches each morning. Hangover type headaches. They go away once I get up and start moving.  BUT - yesterday I went back to Paleo, no honey in the coffee, no slips, nothing.  Just Whole30 foods.  And - voila, headache gone this morning.  

So - I will try to figure out what exactly is causing the headaches.  Try to add my honey back in, then maybe that slice of provolone on my morning eggs, etc. Until I figure it out.  So much for jumping back in.  

On the good / great news end. I have 3 friends who are going to do a reset in January with me, and my family is going to go Paleo starting at the same time.  Not necessarily go Whole30, but a conscious attempt to clean it up.  I couldn't be happier.  

mdraeger - I am with you 100% on the cold and going off Whole30.  The headaches and the runny nose, and pardon me for saying, borderline constipation!  I noticed in the first week of the whole 30 that things were moving better, and just a few days off of it, and I am sold.  Going Paleo for sure, and paying far more attention to what goes in the "pie hole". 

You guys all rock.  Plus - I am back to running, and my pace is dropping like my pant size.  It's awesome.  I'm flying.  Going to be a GREAT Christmas. 

Take care all, 

Colin

YAY Colin! good for you!!!

The only thing I have added back in is a little bit of honey, but am still pretty much riding my whole 30 bike. My results are just too good to let up now...

My biggest thought right now is that I "want" something bad for me, but cannot actually bring myself to eat it... It really is psychological! My head tells me Yes! eat that candy, got nuts, eat a cheese burrito on a corn tortilla with msg seasoning...Why not just say F! it and get some Chik-Fil-A.... but then I think about it and go... it's all in my head... I don't need that food to survive... 

I think the biggest part of it was on the Whole 30 I COULDN'T have it, so I wanted it, but now that I can have it if I really want it, but I don't. Like the grass was greener on the other side of the whole 30 fence, but now I have no fence... and the grass looks better on my side.. since it comes with faster run times and better weight lifting... oh and the weight loss... that's nice too!

Fighting a cold and wanting comfort food - canned soup? Blech! Have you seen what they put in those cans? Went to my favourite cooking tool (Google) and literally searched on 'how to make tomato soup from crushed canned tomatoes' and voila!

http://elleninthekitchen.com/2011/10/23/easiest-tomato-soup-ever/

Smells delicious - can't wait to taste it!

Got my Whole 30 reward boots yesterday!!!! I am wearing them today with a pair of skinny jeans and feeling great! 

Last night I did go a little of track with a dessert my husband made for me. He works at a local restaurant and they make homemade ice cream sandwiches. So my husband whipped up some last night and I was excited to have one, but didn't have any more and told him to take the leftovers over to my grandparents to share. Felt really good to enjoy a little dessert without it feeling like I "needed" it and also was proud that I had my serving and was able to move on from there. Little victories!!!

@Colin - Wow, impressive results.  I have my bloodwork done on December 26th, looking forward to nice results, too.

@JustJoyce - I'm so impressed that you're sticking with it.  I hope you're feeling better, and the soup sounds delicious.  I'm having homeade turkey soup, and it smells delicious, too ; )

@madscience - sounds like you're doing awesome.  I love that your husband brought you such a yummy dessert.  Was that your first dairy?  Just curious how your tummy felt.  I haven't tried dairy yet, but I have had sugar and flour - neither felt good...

I don't think I have been as tenacious with the paleo as you others who have popped in here.  But, I am back on track today.  I now have a much greater appreciation for how clear-headed I was when I was eating Whole30 - I need that back.  I do have a sugar dragon, but if I could get through 30 days, I can live my life without it, especially knowing it is neither good for my body or my mind.  One thing that has been helping me stay on track is listening to paleo podcasts - I listen to Robb Wolff, Sara Fragoso, Jason Seib.  Just hearing about the benefits of paleo is helping me stay on track.

Hi all - how is everyone doing?

@colin - great results, congrats!!

I am doing pretty well.  Keeping at it actually.  I have not veered from the food plan at all since Thanksgiving other than a bit of wine and dark chocolate.  It is exactly as madsciencem describes above.  There is a little game or battle in my head... I think it's over, I can have that now but then I think really?  Unravel the whole thing?  Nah.  And I don't  Part fear that if I start, won't I stop and then part a new sense of control and I really don't want to.  I am also solidly in that mode of not getting hungry.  And no fake hungry!

I don't want to lose feeling clear headed either.  Even my small amounts of wine 2-3 times while tasting good don't make me feel good so I think meh - not sure I even want that. 

Headaches?  Still almost daily but far less severe.  seem to go away when I get up and have some coffee.  More and more I am thinking menopause is the culprit.

My recent challenge is to do 30 mins of cardio every day no matter what and so far I've done that.  Hoping the 30 mins while not a lot and not likely to change my body composition will help get some serotonin going and help with the headaches.  Once I can cross that hurdle I can get going again with more regular vigorous exercise.   Have a good day all!

@livin4lish- Yes it was my first time back with some dairy and it tasted great at the time, but did have some stomach upset throughout the night and some the next day...so am going to keep the dairy at a minimum for now. 

@ michele- Yay for doing the cardio! And yes it is a game that I play every day over what to eat....

Still progressing well here... running a 5K this weekend as the running mentor to one of my dance students... hoping to have a good run!

@madsciencem - impressed with your level of activity - especially in the winter!  I am on the west coast, it's balmy here compared to here and I whine over how cold I think it is!  impressive! 

And what is with that little game we play?  Seriously?  When do our brains get on board?  I play the game all the time with meals, the well you could have (insert pasta or bread)... at many meals and then the well how about a snack many afternoons.  C'mon.  Ready for my brain to play too.  :-)

I'm glad to see some activity here - it really keeps me in check.  You guys are amazing, I think I caved way too many times.  I was back solidly on board yesterday, and hope to remain.  I know I didn't revert to my old ways completely, but I think if I didn't rein it in, I could have easily talked myself into it.  Tuesday was a bad day for choices, and I felt very yucky yesterday.  Since I ate well yesterday, I do feel much better.  Why would I not consistently make healthy choices?

@Michelle66 - good for you for getting some exercise in.  I have been listening and reading some of Robb Wolf's stuff, and he really does emphasize that once you get the right diet going, just living an active lifestyle (incorporating it into play, walking, and lifting heavy things), is much better/healthier, than spending hours in the gym.  

OK, gotta get to work, but I'm so excited to hear everyone's progress.  I do believe this is a lifestyle :)

Ahh the head games... I actually just played a little game with myself at lunch... we went to a local BBQ place and I got a salad with pulled pork and chicken on top, no cheese, no croutons. I DID get the Hot Bacon Dressing to go with it, but literally just dipped my fork in it occasionally .. so I only had maybe a tablespoon. Now I feel guilty... and i don't know why... It is not like I am "cheating" on the whole 30, just do not want to undo all of my progress with this. And I know part of this is also learning to forgive yourself and be okay with your food choices... guess I am still struggling with being off road. Don't get me wrong, I so enjoyed my salad and it was exactly what I wanted. My husband had the sandwich with sweet potato fries (which is normally what I would get), but I didn't even want that... Guess I am rambling because I feel guilty for something I shouldn't feel guilty about... I made the choice I wanted and I highly enjoyed my meal. In reality, i don't think I am going to ruin all of my running and lifting progress with some dressing that has some sugar in it... will see how I feel later tonight.. maybe treat it as a REintro meal? okay, so that ends my crazy rant for the day....

And as for the activity level, I really have to push myself to do things outdoors in the cold, although I love to run in the snow  :P  Since I have a pretty packed schedule, I usually 2 days of stair running on my lunch break a week.. just so I get some cardio in and Steps are a high intensity cardio, so if I only can squeeze in 15-20 minutes, i am a sweaty mess after. 

@ Michele - glad to hear your headaches have moderated. Mine are gone for now, but not sure if that is timing or diet. I am not staying Whole30, but my husband and I like to eat Primal (paleo plus dairy, basically), so dairy is the only big change. That's not to say I've been a saint, but I think about my food choices more and have become a compulsive label-reader. The crap they put in some foods turns my stomach. Blech!

Met my new trainer on Monday, his name is Nem. I wobbled out of our first session and looking forward to the next one. :-P

Archived