Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

So glad to hear everyone is doing well and had such great results!! I have to admit, I've fallen off the wagon a time or two! :-( We still mostly stay compliant but we have tried almost all the food groups ruled out of whole30 (except legumes) and thankfully no headaches or anything but of course, the bloating and digestive upsets suck!! It's mostly dairy and grains that do it for us. My husband feels like total crap and he's been eating better than I have so I'm not sure it it's due to stress from work (peak season at FedEx) or if it has to do with food. He wants to start a whole60 on Monday...ahhhh!! Not sure I'm ready for that but honestly, I think it may be the best choice. My will power and cravings are just really bad. :-(

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still hanging in there, eating mostly compliant... except for some added sugar here and there... got some steamed shrimp last night and treated myself to some of my favorite locally made cocktail sauce... it is made with sugar, but no corn syrup or preservatives... so good and so worth it!!!

Me too, still hanging in there.  I am feeling really great.  Still pretty much compliant other than some wine here and there which I seem to be tolerating a bit better.  Still off of the grains, sugar, legumes and dairy so call me paleo. I had a bit of gorgonzola on a salad this weekend and could feel it in my skin and did have a small breakout.  Guess me and the dairy don't get a long.  Oh well.  Headaches radically better, vertigo almost gone.  Doing my 30 mins of cardio daily and back to Pilates.  Feeling so much better.  The scale is finally moving and I've lost 8lbs now.  Not boulders or anything but I'll take it.  I am going to do my best to stick with this thing as I feel clear headed, happy, energetic.  I don't want to take an afternoon nap, feel optimistic about the days ahead and the future and feel like the crisis I was in a few weeks ago is past. 

It's like now, finally, I get to enjoy my Whole 30 so no way I am going to let it unravel. 

I've met a handful of people lately have done Arbonne?  No idea what it is but sure seems like there is a clean eating movement.  I was at a party last night and I was one two celiacs and of many that has done some form of this thing which was really cool...

Hello all... am on travel for work, so have been enjoying a little "off roading" had a compliant breakfast, but enjoyed a nice burger for lunch at a local place that does all grass fed organic stuff.... had kale cole slaw which was amazing....I did eat the bun, because since I completed my 30, I have only really had bread (grains) once... so will see how I feel tomorrow. My plan is to be pretty compliant tomorrow (not like crazy, but mindful of no grains/ no dairy) and see how I feel... So far clothes are still fitting better and everyone seems to be noticing the weight loss....

I will say that I am a bit nervous about indulging in some things, but I know that this is an important part of the whole 9.... making food choices and not feeling bad about it. I guess I am struggling with gaining back the weight I have lost by indulging today... silly right? I know when I get back home, I will be back to my "new normal" eating... Boy do I sound like an ego maniac... but I like that I am looking better in clothes and I don't want to lose all the other benefits...

But, I know I cannot eat a burger on a bun everyday... I would feel horrible... I know that I will return back to my good foods once I get home.... cna you believe I miss kale chips and a was craving my whole 30 cole slaw? hence I got the kale slaw on my burger....

@michele... sounds like you are doing great!!! Bravo!!

Oh and My mom decided she wants to do a whole 30 in JAn, so I will be back strict compliant with her!

Hi everyone!

Things have been slowly getting back on track. I had to majorly rein in the hubby (or at least not follow his example!) I'm finally shaking off the vestiges of the stupid cold. (To those of you who were sick on the W30, major props!) This week has been pretty compliant, with the exception of some dairy here and there and the occasional adult beverage (trying to keep these occasional is tricky for me, so that's been a focus.)

I also had to share this with the group: I bought an Instant Pot on a whim during Cyber Monday craziness on Amazon. (Nom Nom Paleo has written about them in the past.) It's a combo slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, etc. and I tried it out for the first time last night and IT IS AWESOME. I made NNP's Mexican Beef and it took 35 minutes to make a crazy tender chuck roast. (Usually, I have to cook those for 8 hours plus to get them that tender.) I'm very excited to try some of my standard recipes and see how it does. But if you have a little extra $$ to spend on kitchen gadgets, I highly recommend it. Lord knows, anything that saves me time in the kitchen is a god-send!

Hi All - Nice to hear from some of you!

@madsciencem - I hear ya - I struggle with that every day...fear of gaining it back, fear of it all unraveling, all that despite feeling marvelous and not wanting either.  When does that stop??  Would another whole 30 help?  I'd do it if it would. 

@mdragerpnw - I want to know more about that pot.  I've never heard of such a thing that does all those things!

I did dabble in some dairy one evening, cheese at a party and then yesterday, again some cheese that was on a salad that I ate vs picked off and oh goodness my body didn't like it.  Skin broke out, bloated, gassy, crampy.  Didn't take much either.  OK message received. 

I too have had a couple of people notice my slight weight loss. That is kinda fun!  Still feeling good, great energy, sleeping, headaches better. 

We made our most amazing recipe yet... from Stupid Easy Paleo, the Plantain Beef Pie.  Really amazing.  Food just tastes so good right now!

I got in a "tiff" with a vegetarian yesterday who first remarked how great I look, asked what's changed and the preceded to tell me my "body would adjust" because of course being a vegetarian is the ONLY right way to eat for everyone after telling what I've been doing.  I hate that righteous  judgmental veggie mindset.  I am very careful when sharing what I have been doing to say, gosh I find that I feel really great and this seems to work really well for me.  I said well, after 48 years in this body and fighting it, I dunno maybe it's being celiac or something, all I know is that no, my body does not adjust.  WTF?

I know more vegetarians that look sick, pale and drawn and eventually learn they need to eat meat, do and feel better than paleo people that feel bad and stop eating meat.  Just sayin...

Michele - I guess I have been very lucky - people I talk to about Whole30 are interested, but if they are judging, they keep their thoughts to themselves. I often get the 'I could never do that' reaction, but never a lecture like you received. Just tell the vegetarian you meet that you're a 'meatatarian'. ;)

@Mdraegerpnw and Michelle66 - When I first read Michelles' comment about the "pot," I got a little excited - LOL!  Kidding aside, I have seen those, and wondered how they work, sounds really great!

I just wanted to check in, and it sounds like everyone is doing such a great job keeping on track.  I have not been as compliant as I would like.  That being said, just this morning I gave myself permission to pause.  My schedule is crazy right now, and I have three tween/teen aged kids who are running in every direction.  It has been next to impossible to squeeze in activities, AND continue to prepare as many great paleo/ Whole30 compliant meals as I had been.  I threw in the towel a couple times, and stress got the better of me.  In the days that followed, I really punished myself.  I know I don't want to do that, either physically or mentally, so I am just going to take things in stride.  If I have to prepare a meal that is not 100% compliant,, or, God forbid, run through a drive through, I will just make as sound choices as possible.  I had been avoiding that, but then allowing myself to get way too hungry, or low-sugar, then went off on a real tangent grabbing and stuffing whatever I could into my mouth.

I have inched up a couple pounds, and I don't want it to go any farther.  I am sticking to my pause plan for now, and intend to get firmly back on track on January 5th.  I do feel so much better when eating whole30, so I just need to figure out how to make it work with my life! Glad to see you all still posting.

@Michelle and Joyce - I haven't had anyone critique me on how I'm eating.  I also haven't had many comments about my weight loss.  I know you can tell since I'm down at least one pant size, and 20 pounds, but mine was pretty gradual.  I've been working since May...

@Michele66: Nom Nom Paleo just did a blog post where she's giving one away: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/104901750733/giveaway-time-win-an-instant-pot-ip-duo60. If you click on the Mexican Beef link in that post, she writes more about using one. I'm pretty excited to play with some of the other features. I'm going to have to try that Plantain Beef pie, it sounds awesome. 

@Livin4lish: It's really hard to stay on track this time of year. I try to just do the best I can and not stress about it too much. I do try to make as many good choices early in the day, I feel like it either sets me up to stay on course or limits the damage I can do. ;-)

M

The funny thing was I sat there thinking,

• so as we talk about grass-fed beef...you gonna tell a cow they will "adjust" to the grains we shove in the ruminant gut?
  • and as we discuss wild caught salmon, do you think the salmon eating corn will "adjust?

I had quite the backstory going on with myself.

OK more later :-)  I crack myself up!

2.5 days of travel and being a bit off plan....

I learned that I can no longer tolerate sugary lovely latte type drinks... they make me feel like crap

Eating just a little grains makes my stomach very bloated and gassy.

I had a few meals that were no dairy, no grains and I felt great. Yesterday I had some fruit for breakfast and a sugary latte.... and I felt so terrible, thats right Terrible, that I will never do that again. 

I have never been so happy to have a hard boiled eggs for breakfast in my life this morning. Happy to be home and happy that I got a little experiment in. For right now I will continue with my whole 9 lifestyle and make good choices for myself....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone from this thread is around anymore, but I thought I needed a little accountability check-in.  I have really been struggling with my paleo lifestyle.  I know it's the time of year, and the many stressors I've been hit up with lately, but one of the major components of the Whole30 was to get the emotional aspect of my eating habits in check.  I didn't think it would be at all difficult to keep up with eating "mostly' paleo, since I felt so good.  Actually, I didn't realize how good I felt until more recently as my diet has regressed into looking more like it did before embarking on the Whole30.  I do not feel good - I feel achy, tired and bloated. I seem to have undone so much of my hard work.

Now, I could get down on myself for volumes, but instead, my plan is to get through the holidays, and begin again on January 5th when my kids return to school.  I will try to eat as good as I can in the meantime.  I know I've gained a couple pounds back since Thanksgiving, but what's even more noticeable is the body compostition, and negative mindset.  

I remember back in this thread some of you mentioned a January 5th restart date (in my smug mind back then, I thought I'd be rolling with the Whole9 effortlessly).  Anyone still planning that?

Hope you are doing well, and I wish you all Happy Holidays!

I'm not sure if anyone from this thread is around anymore, but I thought I needed a little accountability check-in.  I have really been struggling with my paleo lifestyle.  I know it's the time of year, and the many stressors I've been hit up with lately, but one of the major components of the Whole30 was to get the emotional aspect of my eating habits in check.  I didn't think it would be at all difficult to keep up with eating "mostly' paleo, since I felt so good.  Actually, I didn't realize how good I felt until more recently as my diet has regressed into looking more like it did before embarking on the Whole30.  I do not feel good - I feel achy, tired and bloated. I seem to have undone so much of my hard work.

Now, I could get down on myself for volumes, but instead, my plan is to get through the holidays, and begin again on January 5th when my kids return to school.  I will try to eat as good as I can in the meantime.  I know I've gained a couple pounds back since Thanksgiving, but what's even more noticeable is the body compostition, and negative mindset.  

I remember back in this thread some of you mentioned a January 5th restart date (in my smug mind back then, I thought I'd be rolling with the Whole9 effortlessly).  Anyone still planning that?

Hi there. Try not to beat yourself up about what's happened since your Whole30.  Yes, there are a lot of extra hurdles to healthy eating this time of year. The important thing is to commit to getting back on the wagon, as you had such success in eating that way. 

There is a January group thread that has started here: you may want to check that out.

Welcome back!

Hi there,

I did 10.20 whole 30 start date so have been off the rails a week longer than you---lol! And it is TOUGH this time of year, especially for me who struggles so badly with moderation. Let's just say I have repeatedly eaten off plan foods and done a fair share of drinking too. I also feel that I have 'undone' all my good work but am not using that as an excuse to completely derail further. I am still doing the majority of my meals whole30 compliant but at least daily it seems I am off track. My body definitely feels 'ick' but I am still working out at least. Definitely going to do another whole 30 in Jan (havent commited to start date yet). I'm hoping that off roading to another time of year (not right into the holidays) will be a slightly easier transition. I see myself trying to do at least 1-2 whole 30s a year, as a nice reset... so, no you are not alone! Hang in there and make the best choices you can in this CRAZY time of year. 

@GFChris - thanks for the encouraging words, and the link to the 1/1 thread, I'm giving it thought, although I think I will wait to start until 1/5.

@melanieamcleod - I'm sorry you seem to be in a similar predicament as myself, but also a little relieved to hear I am not the only one having trouble remaining compliant.  If you're interested in starting January 5th, or thereabouts, I would love to join with you.  I really enjoyed the support of this thread, and I know some members here did mention a 1/5 start date, so I'm hoping that will be the case.  My kids don't go back to school until the 5th, and I know if I try to begin before, i will not be able to be compliant (I know myself all too well). Good luck with the holidays, and congratulations with sticking with your workouts, and being mostly compliant!

Hi livin4lish - it is nice to hear from you!  I am sorry to hear the holidays have been such a challenge. I guess the silver lining in there is to know that you don't feel as well as you have so recently.  My hunch is you haven't undone much of your hard work at all...it's there.  It is, if you feel it that quickly and have such a desire to return to the Whole 30 way of eating Jan 5th.  The holidays are so hard and having kids around at home even harder.

I am doing OK, hubby not as much but I have such an advantage being celiac that it gives me an easy out as holiday food is full of gluten so no one shoves it on me and I am never seen as impolite when declining the foods people have spent hours preparing. 

We are planning Jan 5th to do a Paleo 30 so I'll be here.  I don't think we'll do as extreme as Whole 30 for 30 days but I know that I have more work to do on breaking the emotional ties to food and hubby has more work to kill his sugar dragon.  I say not as extreme as W30 as I may choose to have a small glass of wine now and then.  We are choosing to move more towards the longer term sustainable lifestyle in our next 30, how we plan to live vs do more of the detox which we definitely needed round 1.  We also plan to add in an exercise component and keep making more of our food from scratch.  So I am in!!

Happy Holidays to you, your family and everyone else on this string.  :-)

@Michelle66 - Hi!  It sounds like you're doing great - congratulations!  I am kind of back on my "old" roller-coaster of good days, bad days. The holidays are tough with even more temptations than usual around.  I am still making dinners for the family in a more paleo fashion, but have not been quite as extreme with added ingredients (if the bacon I'm using has some amount of negligible added sugar, I'm still using it).  

I would love to join in the Jan 5th Paleo 30 with you, and perhaps even keep some accountability for exercise in the thread as well.  I wonder if we should just stay here, or start a new thread?  

My 2015 goals are really to get into better shape.  My focus for too long has been weight loss, when I know that I need to get back into weight training and stretching to really feel better. I want to look and feel my best by 50!

Looks like I will be doing another whole 30 starting Jan 6th... my mother is determined to do it and I said I would go along for the ride! I haven't strayed too far off and have found it much easier to control my cravings... my running and weightlifting keep getting better as well... so I am enjoying the results... once the holidays are over I know there won't be as much temptation, but I did say no to extra large milkshakes my husband was making last night for him and the kids... so it felt good to be able to say No! and stick with it!

Hope everyone else is doing okay and a Paleo January sounds great! keep up the good work folks!!!

Hi everyone!  Happy New Year!!  Hope everyone did well through the holidays.  I know it was easier for me to just keep at it and not worry so much keeping to the plan having the structure of the W30 behind me.  A few splurges here and there but nothing that threw it all to heck at all.  I feel pretty good and I am excited to start the new year revving it up a bit.

I have realized in pondering this experience that the magic happened for me after it was done.  Even without my headache crisis this may have been true.  I've been asked by people, did you do this lose weight? Did it work?  So short sighted... Good thing too as I didn't lose much and I wouldn't still be at it if that were my only goal.  But what I've realized is the real answer was no but what I did get out of this surprised me.  When I answer people I say, in this order, this is what Whole 30 has been for me:

1. A huge improvement in my mental health.  I feel happier, lighter hearted, positive, patient, my mood is better, consistent, I feel happier in a genuine way vs a I should try and be in a good mood way. I am less depressed and feel less anxious.  I am nicer, less likely to get irritated, present and just plain ole easier going and I don't have to work at it.  Gosh if there is a link between sugar/grains and mental well being?  I am a test case.  For this reason alone, I am off the sugar and grains from this point forward.  I am clear-headed and feel sharper.
  2. Improvement in my physical health.  I realized a few days ago I had been waking up stiff and achy.  No more.  I sleep better, no aches/pains, allergies are gone.  I have more energy, and no longer feel tired in the afternoon. My body just feels good.  Tied to #1 I want to go go go.  I've added in exercise and am feeling even better since doing so.
  3. Weight loss.  Yes.  I've lost almost 15lbs.  I have another at least 15 to go but I don't worry about it.  Stick to the template, add in exercise and it will come off at the rate it's meant to.  (see #1, less anxiety ;)

When I tell people I figured eating this way would mean weight loss, how could it not?  But really #1 and #2 were my focus they look at me like yeah right but it is the truth.  What I have realized the past few weeks is this is the key to this being lifestyle and ongoing for me.  When I am tempted by chips and salsa it is the mental clarity, energy and emotional well being I want to hang on to vs the risk of a few pounds. 

Livin4lish - I too am staring 50 in the face and want to look great/feel great.  My next step is exercise.  Cardio, weights, Pilates.  I've been pretty lazy here so focused on the food stuff.  My main goal in 2015 is to get in much better shape both in how I look but also building strength and focusing on feeling even better through stepping up the exercise. 

MadscienceM - way to go with the exercise and passing on the milkshakes.

Anyone up for a new 30 day challenge?  I can start either the 5th or 6th officially.  Do we want to start a new thread or keep/rename this one?  I suspect we'll see some of our past friends return as the holidays close up shop. 

Have a lovely Sunday all...  Looking forward to our regular check ins, swapping meal time tips, chatting about how great we feel and successes we have.  I ordered my spring/summer veggie garden seeds this week and realized, gosh this is going to be fun this summer since we are now so veggie focused!

I am still planning on a modified Whole 30 starting tomorrow, the 5th.  I plan

, this is what Whole 30 has been for me:

1. A huge improvement in my mental health.  I feel happier, lighter hearted, positive, patient, my mood is better, consistent, I feel happier in a genuine way vs a I should try and be in a good mood way. I am less depressed and feel less anxious.  I am nicer, less likely to get irritated, present and just plain ole easier going and I don't have to work at it.  Gosh if there is a link between sugar/grains and mental well being?  I am a test case.  For this reason alone, I am off the sugar and grains from this point forward.  I am clear-headed and feel sharper.
  2. Improvement in my physical health.  I realized a few days ago I had been waking up stiff and achy.  No more.  I sleep better, no aches/pains, allergies are gone.  I have more energy, and no longer feel tired in the afternoon. My body just feels good.  Tied to #1 I want to go go go.  I've added in exercise and am feeling even better since doing so.
  3. Weight loss.  Yes.  I've lost almost 15lbs.  I have another at least 15 to go but I don't worry about it.  Stick to the template, add in exercise and it will come off at the rate it's meant to.  (see #1, less anxiety ;)

When I tell people I figured eating this way would mean weight loss, how could it not?  But really #1 and #2 were my focus they look at me like yeah right but it is the truth.  What I have realized the past few weeks is this is the key to this being lifestyle and ongoing for me.  When I am tempted by chips and salsa it is the mental clarity, energy and emotional well being I want to hang on to vs the risk of a few pounds. 

These are amazing results: please add them to the Success Stories section of the forum, and congratulations!

@ livin4Lish and @michele66 I am starting tomorrow Jan 6th... my boss is taking us out to my favorite thai place for new Year's lunch today and I want to enjoy myself... 

I have posted in the big Jan 5th thread, but wouldn't mind checking in here with you guys as well. I think we could be helpful to all the newbies who joined the Jan 5th one, since we all had different experiences on our Whole 30s... but still like having our 10/27 group to check in with. 

I made some Hawaiian style pork yesterday in the crockpot (I believe it was a nom nom paleo recipe, but I used regualr coarse sea salt and not the fancy pink hawaiian salt) and it came out great. I then took a can of crushed pineapple in its own juice and and heated on the stove with some of the juice from the pork and it was so good. Looking forward to having that this week, as well as some of my old standbys.

My husband got an immersion blender and it revolutionizes making mayo.... no more arm crapping as I SLOWLY drizzle in the oil... 

Keep up the good work and look forward to doing another whole 30 with you guys!!! :)

@madsciencem & @livin4lish - hello!!  so nice to see you both here :rolleyes: 

Day 1 - whole 30 #2.  Gosh I am so glad that a) this feels like I am already past all the hard stuff and B) my headaches are under control now (thanks to drugs but oh well) so perhaps this time I'll enjoy it!!

So where do we post... I am torn...  good point that we could be of help to the newbies on the Jan 5th thread (OMG I am so thankful I am not a newbie, just a restart, feels so much easier!!)  and this group is so amazing I am wanting to hang here and see if anyone comes back.  So I guess my vote is stay here and pop on to the 1/5 thread too?

Wow- you were making mayo by hand??? Julia Child would have been proud!!!

We got a pressure cooker for Xmas (not the fancy one, a Cuisinart) and have been using it the past week.  It's really great so far for complicated meals quickly. 

Must go exercise now so I have time to make a proper breakfast...  Michele

I like that idea, pop over to their thread, but still check in here... 

I think that # 2 is less daunting because I have been there and know what to expect... and I also have been trying to keep up a good lifestyle (but I did splurge on sugar, dairy, and some grains a few times over the holidays) Looking forward to the feeling of well being that I had. I mean I have been feeling good, but know that sugar, grains (especially you grains) really take away some of me happy. Dairy just gives me some digestive issues and sometimes a drippy nose.... looking forward to keeping that at bay as well!!!

Not completely by hand with the mayo, just a food processor, which requires slowly drizzling in oil as well! The immersion blender is wonderful!

Pressure cooker!!! I am jealous... maybe I will look into one after I finish up this round.

Have a good time exercising!!!

Archived