Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

@Michele66 - I have started today as well, and you're right, not nearly as daunting as last go-round!  As I sent the kids off to school today, I started to feel more in control already :lol: .  

@MadscienceM - I hope you enjoy that meal, it sounds lovely.  You sound like you've been doing awesome.  I have kind of slacked on the homemade mayo, but now you've given me incentive to mix up a batch (luckily I do have an immersion blender).  It is so nice as a base for so many recipes.  I did not find it as revolutionary as some of you did back in November, but I did add variety to some recipes.

So, it sounds like we stay put here, and if it's too boring, jump over to the other board.  I truly want to get back on this lifestyle, and this group was so supportive last time!  Happy 2015, and here's to even greater success!

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far so good!!  Compliant breakfast and lunch... got my exercise in.  40 mins on the elliptical.  I am thinking I'll make some mayo tonight.  We made a pasta sauce last night to re-heat tonight with spaghetti squash for dinner.  I might try and grow it this summer...

Either of you gardeners? 

What is the name of the other group?  I'll pop over and take a look...

Any one else out there reading, lurking, wanting to get back in to the swing of it?

My new afternoon snack is a delicious rooibos chai tea I found over the holidays.  Tasty!! 

Good Morning Ladies and Happy day 2 to you!!! and Day 1 for me! Feels like old times, since I was a day behind you guys the last time we did it as well.

I must confess I would love to try and grow things, but I just never seem to get the hang of it outside... I do have a nice aerogarden that has been producing lots of dill and basil... might try tomatoes in it later this year. Although we moved back to the farm i grew up on (horses not crops), so since I have more space, I might give it a shot this year....

I had an egg and broccoli scramble with some roasted sweet potatoes and some spicy mayo this morning... was pretty good!

The other group is the Jan 5th thread... I was following the one that had the most pages associated with it. 

Good Morning!  Day 1 in the books, Day 1 for you @madsciencem and happy day 1 I hope it is.  How was that Thai lunch?  Gosh Thai food is awesome.  I have figured out that panang curry with chicken, add no sugar with steamed broccoli instead of rice is paleo (prob not Whole 30) and in a pinch works if stuck eating out....  not that I am encouraging thai food but it is one of my paleo tricks of the trade.

Day 2 means I need to get back in the swing of pre-cooking up stuff to have on hand.  Forgot that it makes it easier when I get home starving at lunchtime.  Last night I baked some red kuri squash.  I am back to making my breakfast hash.  Shredded onions, zucchini and sweet potatoes as a way to get in my morning veggies and I need to make a frittata as that will last me a week.

I love to grow veggies.  Kind of obsessive actually.  We grew lots last year given a good sunny summer despite a cool temperate climate up here in the PNW.  Hoping for another!!  Just finished my daily cardio.  Work commitment means I miss Pilates :-(  Oh well!  Have a good day all!

oh the Thai was outstanding!!! I had Basil glass noodles with chicken made "thai Spicy" it was very good and worth the splurge!!! I love curry and will have to try that trick when i am not Whole 30ing. I did find some compliant yellow curry paste and used it the last time around... looking forward to that as well.

I am making Well Fed's Chocolate Chili tonight... since we had little snow today, seems to be the perfect time to make it.   

Your breakfast hash sounds good... I normally just dump whatever left over veggies I have into a pan in the morning with some Ghee and drop some eggs in with it.  But a planned out hash may be the way to go!!!

You have 2 green thumbs!!! I am getting inspired in planting some stuff in the spring.... will have to research and see what I want to grow!!!

Wow, snow, cool!  Perfect weather for that chocolate chili....how is it?  I've not made it.  I do like the cinnamon beef from that same book.  I have learned to make the full 3lbs as it is worth having many meals of leftovers.

I love my hash.  So good....the onions make it a little sweet as I Iet them caramelize a bit... so good. 

Gardening runs in my family :P yet my green thumb is learned by trial and error.  I now just grow what grows here and buy the rest!!  No beefsteak tomatoes to be had.  Just cherries and grapes.  And lots and lots of greens, lettuce, kale, beets and carrots.  I did manage to grow 1 eggplant (the entire plant produced 1 eggplant!) a few years ago.  HA!  I am going to try again this year.  I am a sucker for 1 warm weather veggie each year... last year it was cucumbers and they turned out OK.  We still have the pickles everywhere to prove it!  I try and grow the stuff that gets expensive to buy that we eat a ton of and grows easily (herbs, lettuce, kale, tomatoes) It's fun.  I can hardly wait to start my seedlings end of January... :wub:

I think I am more excited to be W30'ing today that I was yesterday.  I have bookclub tonight, hosted by a fellow W30'er so know what she is serving I can eat! 

Hello Ladies - Day 2 - Woo! Hoo! 

I truly feel better after only one day completed.  When I woke up yesterday, I was really puffy, and already, I can see that going down around my eyes.  I do have a slight headache, but that could be because I just spent 5 hours on my volunteer project (if only they'd pay me...).

The chocolate chili sounds wonderful, maybe you could share the recipe.  I have been using the Chili - As It Should Be, recipe from Paleo Comfort Foods.  I absolutely love it, and usually have enough left over for several meals.  I just finished my last bowl of leftovers, and I discovered a new twist - I threw some cashews in it.  It gives it a little crunch, and kind of takes a cracker like feel.  I also had a brainstorm that I'll bet bamboo shoots would be good in chili.

Since Saturday, I have been getting a little strenght training in.  I am a little sore, but not overly so, so that's good. 

I am making drumsticks with mixed greens and veggie salad for dinner. 

Have a great day!

@madsciencem Glad you liked my sausage recipe on the other string :-)  It is dandy stuff, worth the effort.  I try and pick up ground meat on sale and freeze it so it can be any mix of meat when I make it up.  I also tend to go heavy on the herbs as I like the sage and fennel flavor.  YUM!

Can I just say, I am so gosh-darn-thankful to not be going through first timers detox???  I am a so grateful!!  I kinda want a piece of chocolate but that is more me protesting my commitment to not snack in the afternoon vs sugar detox.  I know the difference.

@livin4lish, glad you are feeling better so quickly!!

I did like it, I always have a silent hope when I check the ingredients in sausage at the store that it will be compliant... I never really thought about making it myself! You are totally making my day!!! 

I agree, it is nice to not be going through the first time around detox... I am thankful that I didn't go too crazy after I finished up my last one... I am sure I will feel little cravings here and there, but I know that they are not true and that I can have _____ whenever I want in 29 days... and I found that after the first whole 30 that I enjoyed the benefits more than I would enjoy whatever I was craving....

I am also glad that you feeling good after the first days... I think I read somewhere that it gets a little easier each time and that the timeline speeds up a bit, ie you reach the feeling better aka tiger blood faster? I can't remember if it was on the forums or a blog post... I can say that Day 1 was pretty standard for me, I made some chili last night and some roasted potatoes to get through the week with. I am planning on making some sausage this weekend and probably my favorite Bora Bora Fire balls from Well Fed http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/03/05/bora-bora-fireballs/

I have my Fire company annual party this weekend and I know nothing will be compliant, so planning on bringing some goodies to eat and some club soda to drink, so I can seem festive. 

Which thread are you guys posting on? And Michele1966, can you post a link to your breakfast sausage.  

I really want to get my kids more on board with paleo this time around.  They eat the meals I prepare, but I usually "dumb it down" for them with a starchy carb side of bread or pasta or rice.  They don't need that!  I need to assert myself around here.

Can I just say that it's tough when my 56 year old husband, who is so healthy, and in great shape, and who has accomplished this by following the moderation template, is making it hard for me to persuade otherwise.  He literally plays basketball with guys 20+ years younger than him, and is able to keep up without any issues.  He eats everything, but he doesn't overindulge in anything.  I really wonder if he has the key?

I do know that I feel so much better when I cut out all the garbage, so I do hope doing paleo is indeed right for me.  I need the psychological barriers to be broken (because moderation did not work for me since I couldn't be moderate), and I need the lifestyle to become permanent!

We are posting on the Large Jan 5th start one... it is the one with the most number of pages....

And some people just have the makeup to do things in moderation. I am not one of those lucky ones, although I was lucky enough to experience good results with the whole 30... so I am thankful for that.... 

I love the mental happiness and well being that comes with this... already starting to feel better!!!

I am also enjoying my clothes fitting better. I tried on a pair pants I bought over the summer for fire duty (were TIGHT around ye olde booty, like going out to the club tight)) and they fit much better now. I have to admit the psychological boost from having people tell me I am looking good is nice. *BRAG TIME Even the guys at the fire station noticed* Nice to have the hard work pay off... Plus I REALLY want to PR my half marathon this year and think that nutrition is a big part of it!!! 

@Michele1966 - found the sausage recipe - definitely going to try it!

@MadscienceM - Compliments are definitely great incentive to keep on.  

I have been doing a lot of reading and soul-searching, and have finally decided to put away my scale (note, I didn't say throw it away).  First, I know you are not supposed to weigh yourself during a Whole 30, and second, I think I'm to the point where I just want to be as healthy as possible.  I would like to be smaller, especially in the middle, and I think I'll notice if that's happening.  My goals this year have gone from scale weight, to physical triumphs.  I am trying to work on my knees, without the help of a physical therapist (our $12,000 deductible has begun again with the new year). I want to be able to do a deep squat with no discomfort, and get off the floor with no assistance from hands, furniture or otherwise.  I also want to be able to do a full pull-up.  I think there has only been one other time in my life when I could achieve that, and I really want to do it (I guess I'm embarassed about this, and feel the need to say that I am quite strong.  I am 5'11", and for some reason, my mechanics have never been great in this department).

Day 4 - I woke up with a headache, and don't have a plan today.  That's not a great start, but after my coffee, I'll be able to pull it together :blink: .

Good Morning all... 3 days in the books... day 4 here I am. 

Livin4lish:  I hope your headache is gone by now... The scale.  Oh the scale.  Congratulations!!  I think you are on to something as when you list your goals?  None of them are supported by that number on the scale and what it tells you...I agree, I think you will notice by looking and how your clothes fit as your middle shrinks.  You'll also notice the complements!  Wow you are 5'11"!  Awesome!! 

I seem to be married to a similar man... 54 and has more stamina than is fair, loses weight by cutting back a beer or so.  Easily eats in moderation.  With no effort it seems can climb a mountain.  Not fair.  Slender with no effort.  He did W30 with me and got down to a weight he's not been able to since he was in his 30's but I think he's too skinny.  But moderation is natural for him.  I don't think he's a carb addict like I am is the key difference between us.  Now on the flip side?  His tummy issues did not get better, he sleeps no better so he didn't feel any better after W30.  So for him while he lost weight and his blood results were better but he didn't get any of the physical improvements he'd hoped for. 

We've noticed our 19 y.o, kid is probably a carbaholic... I think most teenaged boys are but wow it's really apparent now that we've done this!  That whole moderation thing didn't work for me.  I tried.  I packed on 20lbs.  I think it is both - I really can't do moderation and my body doesn't like grains/sugar.  I just feel so much better following paleo and it does get to be my normal lifestyle.  Last time I stopped after a very long stretch when we traveled for a month in Italy.  Oddly I did not gain weight and I felt marvelous- their food is different.  I can eat in moderation there.  That same approach did not translate back here.

@Madsciencem - whoop whoop!!  A well timed compliment is a sure-fire (haha) way to keep things going!  way to go!  I too love putting on clothing that now fits...

Last night we made chicken thighs coated in egg/almond meal and pan fried in avocado oil.  So good.  And my favorite.  Eggplant.  Grilled.  I need to start cooking again.  Super busy day today but get to go to Pilates tonight... have a good one all!

I finally added a picture!  Not that you can really see it and it may be inappropriate that I am holding a wineglass given this particular site... but I realized there are just not many pictures of me out there as I don't like having my picture taken!  So one of my goals is to get to a place where I like what I look like enough to not avoid having my picture taken!  I am guessing 20 years from now I'll think I look just fine... cheers!

@Michele what a great pic!!! I love it!!! and those chicken thighs sound good... man I am hungry today... much be the below zero wind chill here that is kicking my "eat for hibernation" into full gear!!! 

@ livin YAY! Throw that scale away!!! I think doing a pull up of a very good goal... some many people cannot do it or get up without some serious help. I think those are awesome goals..

Speaking of scales... I totally weighed myself at the gym last night as my "starting weight". I actually don't have a scale at home, so I weighed myself there to get my start weight this time round. I am currently wearing jeans I haven't worn in 2 years (they even were dried in the dryer!!!!) so it is good. 

My goals for this are:

1. keep my happy up

2. increase my max bench by 10 more pounds this month

3. Enjoy my supermarkets current supply of plantains. 

Work is currently incredibly stressful for me. One of my coworkers is on vacation and I am covering her work, my work, and one of my other coworkers was unable to keep up with her work, so I am doing 75% of her work as well.... I only leave my desk to pee, heat up my food , and get tea.... Today I promised myself I would go run the steps for 15 minutes... so I am really looking forward to that!!!

Hope you all have a wonderful day 4!!!

@Michele1966- Love the picture!  We enjoyed pan fried drumsticks two nights ago - delicious, and I plan to eat the last for lunch today!  I think it's great that your husband embarked on the Whole30 with you.  Since mine has not troubles with a middle aged middle, or sleeping or headaches, I don't think he gets why it's so important.  I should also say that in addition to being physically fit, he is also so mentally balanced, he's such a jerk :P .  Just kidding, I'm not sure how he does it, but it is admirable.

I also know what you mean about the kids carboholism.  All three of mine are addicted to sugar for sure.  My youngest are very fortunate to have inherited their dad's physique.  Even my 12 year old daughter is ripped (she can do lots of pullups :D ).  My 14 year old, however, is not nearly as active as his younger sister and brother, and boy can you tell a difference in body type.  I need to be a better example for all of them.

@Madscience- Where are you located?  Here in SE Wisconin, I woke to -4 (windchills way below zero).  Many school closed in our area, but not ours.  I really bundle up when I walk the dogs, but we could only go a mile or so since I could tell their paws were too cold.  I did want to clarify my getting up from the floor.  In the past two years or so I've developed patella femoral syndrome.  I was convinced it was all inflammation, but now realize that when I consistently work on stretching, stengthening, and IT band stretching, it does improve.  I think I made it sound as if I am so out of shape, but I'm really not (I participate in triathlons, and am an avid bicyclist, in season, of course).  It just really bugs me that I cannot get up without using some type of support when that was never the case. I want to be able to cross my ankles and stand from that position, like I used to!

Now that I've had my coffee, I have decided on chicken thighs for dinner.  My family loves this recipe that I make with Corn Flakes.  I just bake mine with seasoning.  I truly prefer dark poultry - flavor, tenderness and juiciness.  @Michele1966 - If you make chicken breasts in the pressure cooker, do they come out more moist than baking or pan-frying?  I really have to start getting into marinating, I think that helps with keeping them juicier!

OK, enough said - Good luck to all!

I am located in Delaware near the Delaware Bay.  Our schools were delayed today by 2 hours because of the windchill. My poor dog didn't even want to stay out too long this morning... he was back in the bed curled up before I finished feeding the cats :)

and I didn't think you were out of shape, just trying to improve your flexibility and dynamic movement... some people really do struggle with doing pull-ups... even strong people.... and it sounds like that you have the right plan to get to your off the floor goal... 

I am hoping to finally get a particular ballet move down that has to do with fine muscle control and not really strength.... It is like I cannot get my brain to inform my legs the right way to do it...

Wow you two live in some cold places!  I guess I can no longer complain about 47 and raining :wacko: which I do endlessly as I am freezing all the time and drink tea all day.  I know, probably not compliant but it's watered down and only because I am cold.  Sometimes I drink warm water.  It's an awful wet bone chilling cold here all the time in the winter but guessing nothing like what you two describe.  Schools closed due to wind chill?  Seriously I've never heard of such a thing.

Both of you have cool fitness goals as they are achievement, strength and movement based.  I like it.

I also have a well balanced, even keeled happy all the time husband.  Not fair!  I keep thinking what is going to happen when menopause craziness hits??  I am already a little whacky.  Being female is such a curse sometimes.

I have come to accept that with age (ahem) comes the need for more stretching, strength training and conditioning types of exercise.  Hence my bumping up Pilates to 2-3 times per week.  It seems to make a difference.  I cannot go without stretching, I just can't.  Pilates and better core strength helps but I hear ya - despite being in decent shape, I don't just bounce around without the other.

Chicken... so we don't often cook chicken breasts any longer as we too prefer the darker meats.  We don't use the pressure cooker for them (OK we did once, did a whole chicken though which we didn't like.  It was bland and rubbery)  If we do chicken breasts we pound them and make a marsala type of dish (Whole30 version we use mushroom stock vs marsala mmm mmm good).  When we have chicken breast meat it tends to come from cooking a whole chicken.  Lately we brine it for an hour, spatchcock it and either cook it in the oven or on the BBQ.  I tend to use the breast meat on salads.  Our latest chicken craze is the bonelsss/skinless thighs which we coat in the egg/almond meal and fry up.  We have done the crackling thigh nom nom recipe which we've actually done for years, long before W30 but do it in the summer, outside in a cast iron skillet on the BBQ as it makes a mess... so good.  Is it time for lunch yet?

@madsciencem - every time I read a post you are noting yet another type of exercise!  amazing!!

@ michele- I am so hungry now reading your chicken post.... mmmm will have to whip up something good and chicken over the weekend!

I like to vary my workouts... my go to has always been running.... then 10 years ago I added weightlfiting, so I run some days, lift others...Then I started dancing hip hop (again) and added in Ballet, Tap, and Lyrical classes, which lead to me teaching at the studio and coaching dance at a local gymnastics place. Being busy keeps me out of trouble... And when I cannot run outside I run the stairs inside my building at work or use my elliptical at home... 

I am happy I have stayed with the dance because it has helped my flexibility for sure.... 

and I think it is perfectly okay for your to hate the wet cold.... While this freeze your face off weather isn't my favorite, it is better than wet, soak you to your bones rainy cold.... And the east coast makes up for it for some pretty toasty temps during the summer (which I enjoy!!!)

Happy Friday!

Good for you varying your workouts... I probably should do that more.  I used to be a figure skater so never needed to workout or it didn't feel like working out.  I suppose skating 2 hours 5 days a week was working out.  I just was in great shape (until I was 38 and quit) and took it for granted <_< pooh.  Not now.  Now it just all feels like working out and something I have to do... I've often thought of taking up dance but I am not coordinated so get frustrated.  Part of what is so hard about winter for me is in the spring/summer/fall I garden like crazy.  So for hours and hours I can putter outside so to your point, I am busy busy busy as it never ends.  There is always, weeding, planting, picking, moving, pruning.  It's endless but doesn't start until March.  How cool to teach as you get your workout in at the same time.

I have noticed the wet cold is a more bone-chilling cold for me.  I can't get warm.  It drives me crazy.  Being from here means I also have no ability to take the heat or humidity.  We are weather whimps here.  It's true.  I dream of Sonoma County these days.  Happy for my SoCal trip next week for a wedding.  I am cold.  One of the downsides of being thinner that I'll suck up and live with.

Planning to cook up a storm this weekend!  We have a beef brisket on hand and I picked up a bunch of winter squash at a farm stand for .69c a pound.  A bunch of varieties that are new to me.  I also plan to roast up the last of my beets and carrots!!  Hope you are all having a good start to Friday!

Gardening is a good workout!!! And a figure skater... wow! I bet you would do fine in a ballet class or a barre class....

Just had what I consider a most excellent lunch...

Had some compliant salmon from a package, used mayo, chives, onion, and some chopped red bell pepper... I added some raisins and it was AWESOME! Like Excited to eat it, couldnt wait to get my lunch in awesome!!!! had some carrots with some mashed avocado to end it.... Day 4 is going good...Well food Wise and Whole 30 wise... but work wise, I could just admit defeat....

Back story- one of my coworkers is on vacation, so I am covering her work and my work... 

2 days before christmas another coworkers goes to our boss and cries, like grown woman cries, that her job is too hard. So they broke her job in 1/3rds. I got 1/3 and so did vacation co-worker. So I am covering 2/3rds of that job currently. On a conference call this morning, our big boss commended Crying lady about the hard work she is doing and thanked her for working around the clock.... A little piece of my soul just crumbled.... i have been busting my tail to stay on top of the 2/3rds of work, plus all of the other work and I don't complain.... erg!!!! Ughh!!!! GRRRR!!!!

But my lunch was really awesome and you guys sound like you are rocking it out... so good thing for my friday!!! :)

@Madscience, you sound like a work-out maniac to me LOL!  Seriously, you are obviously very busy and I'm sure all your hard work pays off!!  I hope you didn't have to be outside too much in the cold.  We had a bit of a reprieve yesterday when we got a couple more inches of snow (it warmed all the way up to 12), but today, back to freezing and below, with super strong winds - so thankful to have a warm home.

@Michele- I know what you mean about the cold dampness, too.  Here in the Great Lakes region, we get a lot of extremes.  In the summer it gets very hot and humid, but early winter and early spring, we get that cold wet stuff - bone chilling for sure.  Why did you stop skating, just curious?  Could that not be a possibility to reintroduce? When I was at the very tail end of my 30's, and up until about 41, I was a very aggressive bicyclist.  For some reason, I gradually stopped, but have since reintroduced, and wonder why I ever stopped (there was a lot of emotional junk going on for a few years with me, then a sense of hopelessness, and now, back on the right track)! 

I am planning on doing a bunch of weekend cooking as well.  I have a butternut squash I plan to put in right now, and then a big head of cabbage I want to make sweet and sour with (I'm going to purree pineapple for the sweet, it's my first try at this, but I can't see why it wouldn't be fine).  A couple months ago, I found a grass-fed beef farmer locally, and I have a good looking rump-roast out to slow cook tomorrow.  AND, I think I'm going to try that chocolate chili on Sunday.  I made a great shrimp recipe the other day, even my kids liked it; http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/garlicky-baked-shrimp-recipe.  I used ghee and almond flour in place of the butter and panko, it might not have been as coarse as I would have liked, but tasty just the same.

I have been really working at rehabing the ole knees.  I am impatient, and expect immediate results.  I am so glad that I have these other physical goals to focus on, rather than just the scale.  And @Madscience, I love your goal of Keeping Your Happy Up!  I am working on that, too.  I am finally beginning to realize that 's it's ultimately my choice, and I'm trying hard to teach my kids that, too!

Have a great weekend, Oh, and Happy Day 5 :)

Archived