Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

Thanks Ladies!!! I do love my tattoo artists, he is quite amazing. 

Day 30 here and I feel great. I am so happy I did focus on some life changes as well, all around I am feeling so great. No plans for another whole 30 anytime soon, my plan is to to try and stay close to paleo, but have treats if it is worth it. My best friend started her whole 30 on Feb 1st, so I am going to her place this weekend to share some recipes and tips.

My mom has had great success, she lost 9 pounds and is feeling good. 

This time around I found the food part easier, making the food, finding compliant things etc... I didn't have the Ick feeling during the first week and I had pretty steady energy for the most part. Sleep is still good for me and waking up is easier. The point of food fatigue didn't happen until this weekend, and last time around day 16 I was like... ugh... need something different... so that was good.  Overall I feel pretty good and this just solidifies my knowledge that those foods I have left behind aren't things I need in my diet all the time. I am looking forward to being a little less watch dog about all the ingredients in things, but still will check labels... :)

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats!!!!

Day 30, Whole 30 #2 in the books!!  Really impressed!!  Great news on your mom and her 9lb weight loss.  I have to say it went so fast or maybe it just seemed like it was pretty easy for you.  I love how you focused on other life changes as a part of the experience.  So inspiring!!  Also sounds like while you did this with your mom, you still felt like it was worthwhile.

I do ponder doing another... I know I could only benefit.  I fear slightly no wine for 30 days.  Not that I drink a lot, it's just that we are super-foodies and gosh I enjoy my half glass of wine with dinner...  I definitely am up for a strict paleo challenge for 30 days. 

Congrats again!!  Finish line!!!!!

Thanks Loves~ It was nice to focus on other things than the food!

A 7 day reset sounds fantastic... I think I am good on whole 30s for now and want to see how I do over the next few months.... I want to try and stay in my happy place.

I am happy to report that in addition to awesomeness in the gym and in dance, I have lost a total of 21 pounds since 10/28. And my activity level has not changed, so I know that what I eat does make a HUGE difference for me!!!

Hope you guys are having a great week!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys....  madscience?  livin4lish?  you guys out there?  Saying hi and saying that man I am losing steam and not sure why.  Maybe because the moodiness has returned?  The emotional roller coaster has come back in to town?  :( The feeling great and motivated is waning? And of course the scale takes over all.  I've lost nothing in a month despite being 100% faithful to "the plan" and exercising.  And actually I am up 2lbs from my low.  Seriously???  Let's make it all worse!  Add it all up and teetering on "why bother" which is not a good place to be.  If I felt great, full of energy and my mood was in a good mode it would be easier but with both of those gone it's hard.  I didn't expect the physical and mood improvements to normalize back the old way despite continuing to faithfully eat according to Whole 30.  It's a bummer.  It is so easy for me to keep at it when I feel great and am getting the emotional boost. 

How are you two doing?  On one hand I could say, is it time for another and on the other that seems like the last thing I can stomach right now.

Debbie Downer signing off...

You are okay @Michele66.... remember we still do have hormones and things that can really do a number on us...And also, 2 pounds... thats not too bad and really could represent a really full meal... I know I can fluctuate 5 pounds in a week, depending when I weight myself and how much water I had to drink... just saying. And maybe the weather is getting you down? I know this Polar Bear Frigid cold is making me a little crazy. I actually bundled myself up for a run yesterday afternoon in like 0 degree windchill just to have 25 minutes of "Sun" time... it really helped...

Be kind to yourself, everyday is a new day... don't feel bad about feeling "why Bother", embrace, work through it and get to the other side... 

Thanks.  I don't feel OK.  Every day I wake up and the scale is higher, my pants feel tighter and I have a headache (they are back but not the whoppers thankfully).  Something is way off again.  All despite continuing to follow Whole 30.  Pretty much to the letter.  Can't even blame it on a little wine now and then as I can't drink it right now.  Gives me an instant headache.  At least I am finally sleeping.  That took months to fix. Pondering adding in legumes and creating my own modified version as heck, this is not working for me.  Not in mood, nor physical improvement.  Both in how I feel and weight loss. First, I miss them and second I wonder if some slow release fiber may do me some good since I am exercising daily.  Still feeling like why bother as no matter what I do/eat/don't eat/how much I exercise/drink water, etc... it just goes up, up, up.  I don't get it.  Super discouraged as I can't even say well at least my pants are baggy... as they are not, they are getting tight.  It is all causing quite a funk.  I don't want to have to get radical.  I don't want to have to feel hungry or exercise a crazy amount.  I thought we didn't have to go that route don't this.  I am OK with slow improvements but sure didn't expect a swing the other direction.

I can't really blame it on the weather either... here we are having the most bizarre winter.  50 degrees and sunny almost every day.  I worked in my garden this weekend.  My asparagus is up and I've eaten a few stocks.  The mint is sprouting.  I planted a plum tree, I transplanted mustard and lettuce.  It's nuts.  The rest of the country is buried in snow and we are like California up here...

Hmm that does sound a little weird... having the headaches come back and getting the instant headache from wine.... And i don't see where a little legume reintro could hurt? You can always try them and see if how it goes. And it sounds very frustrating, with all the good feelings slipping away. I really don't know what it could be... maybe it is something that you are eating, even though it is whole 30 compliant? Maybe you have healed your gut so well that something that didn't really bothered you, now bothers you since you have changed your eating? Have no idea, but sending *Hugs*! Keep us posted on how you are doing and I hope it gets better!!!

And your weather sounds very appealing right now... I am so excited that it will be 40 degrees tomorrow... 

Hello Ladies - sorry I have been MIA here.

Michele, how frustrating this has to be for you.  The only thing I can come up with, and Madscience said it before, hormones.  It's either the whole change of life thing going on, or you are having some other issues with your endocrine system.  Have you had your thyroid checked recently?  I know I am on medication for thyroid, and it helps a lot.  If you are eating compliant, and haven't changed anything, I don't understand why you would be gaining weight.  I would attribute it to the exercise, and perhaps adding muscle, but that would not make your pants tighter.  On a positive note, your weather sounds lovely.  We have been in a polar deep freeze around here.  Despite the extreme cold, my dogs insist on walking, which I suppose I should count as a blessing.  I am thankful for getting out in the fresh air, but at negative temperatures, it takes it from exhilarating to nearly painful pretty quickly.  Anyway, I hope you find some answers soon.  Oh, and just a thought, do you eat white rice at all?  Are you getting enough carbs through starchy vegetables.  I do think sometimes our bodies just need a few more carbs, especially when increasing exercise.

As for myself, I am kind of waffling with proper nutrition right now.  I do well for several days, then I take a nosedive, too many temptations around me.  I have increased my exercise some.  I'm trying to lift a couple times a week, and I have definitely increased my walking.  I am also trying to do a lot more flexibility training, and that has helped a lot.  I do know sugar is my nemesis.  Since doing the Whole30, my body seems to respond very quickly, and forcefully.  On a day following one high in sugar, I am achy and inflamed!  I can really feel it, so I am trying to convince myself I'm allergic to sugar, and if I don't want that uncomfortable reaction, I need to avoid it.  It's working for the most part (but don't ask me about yesterday).  Where I really need to find a solution is dealing with unexpected stress...

Happy Wednesday to both of you!

• 4 months later...

Hi Michele,

Just noticed you posted here!  I hope your summer is going well.  Mine is speeding by as usual (that old adage about time going faster as we age sure seems to be true).  

Well, I must admit that I have failed miserably in the quest for living the Paleo lifestyle.  I would love to start again, but it seems I need support, of which I do not receive at home.  Not that anyone is trying to ruin me, it's just that nobody is willing to go without (you can fill in the blank - sugar, bread, ice cream, you name it).  I have started my day off right today with an egg and veggie scramble in coconut oil.  It was delicious, and I could so live like this if there weren't so many temptations around me.

So...I'm going to give it a go again, thanks to you reaching out here.  I guess even if I get a couple good days, or even a couple good meals, it's better than nothing at this point.

I'd love to hear how you're doing.

Lisha

Lisha!!  Hello!!  Nice to hear from you!   

Summer is going really well.  Our weather has been freakishly nice and hot so my garden is exploding.  For me that is fun as growing things in the Northwest is typically an ordeal.  But I do it anyway.  I had no idea how easy it is to grow things when the sun is out and it is warm every day.  I am working part time this summer which I am loving.  I've never really worked anything other than full steam ahead so this is a nice change of pace.

You are so right about the older we get, the more time flies by.  And the more I seem to be aware of not wanting to waste it.  Which really just adds pressure. 

I am doing pretty well living Paleo.  I eventually lost 23 lbs but then have been completely stuck here since May.  No movement despite really adhering to Paleo.  The past few weeks I am definitely veering and dabbling so need to do another too.  I can see how a reset can keep you going longer term.  Thankfully there are no kids here and I shop and my hubby tries to eat what I eat as I know I'd have it far harder otherwise.  If there were salty things around <my vice vs sugar> I'd probably eat it too.  I suppose it's time to up the exercise.  I never really got that going. 

I still struggle with vertigo and vestibular migraines.  That has been the biggest issue for me.  it started last fall, it hasn't stopped.  I can hardly drink any wine which is a drag.  I am in the hunt for a new doctor who will hopefully have some good ideas as I am tired of feeling crummy on a daily basis.  Is it perimenopause?  One theory or hormones or just bad "headache head" luck. 

That is it for me!  I did a 1 week reset...it was good, felt good but I can tell I really need to do a full 30 days.  Thinking August... you?

Archived