Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm right with you about attempting this in my head! Did you read "It starts With Food?" Here's something from the book that stuck with me;

"Commit to the program now. Today. This minute. Take as much time as you need to prepare but make the decision to start. Don't put this off one more day. If you give yourself excuses to delay, you may never begin. Do it now."

I kept trying to think of when the perfect time to start would be, and then I read that and realized - NOW! Glad you started, we can get through 30 days!

Yes! Thanks for this! I will need to reread it often!

Ok friends, I try to meal plan and make a list for the grocery store - going from conventional to whole30 is definitely overwhelming! New items to buy, new tools to use, new ways of cooking, all new recipes and I feel like I'm learning how to cook all over again!

Can we share recipes, kitchen gadgets we love, etc. :-)

The 2 kitchen gadgets that I think are a must for living the Whole30 lifestyle during and after your initial 30 days are a stick blender and a food processor.  Stick blenders are a must for making your mayo, this is PaleOMG's recipe and it is SO EASY.  It's also great for whipping up sauces and you can find some great recipes on her website (although watch the ingredients, a lot are not strict Whole30 friendly) and on http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/, she wrote Well Fed and Well Fed 2 which are both excellent resources for Whole30 recipes.  During my first Whole30, I found it was best to keep it simple and cook ahead of time.  I always have a batch of roasted sweet potatoes ready in the fridge, I love making skillet hashes at the beginning of the week and eating it throughout the week for breakfast, and then keeping lots of grilled chicken handy for lunches and post workout meals.  Try not to get too complicated with the recipes at first or else you'll get overwhelmed.

A food processor is a must for quickly chopping veggies and most importantly, whipping up some cauli-rice.  You can find lots of variations of cauli-rice online, but my favorite is to use the grater attachment to "rice" a head of cauliflower after you've chopped it into florets.  Melt 1 Tbsp of coconut oil and saute the cauli-rice for 5 min, then add about 1/2 cup of coconut milk, some lime juice and some fresh cilantro and let it simmer until the milk is absorbed...you've got Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice (sorta)!  Serve it with some fajita meat and sauteed veggies and you have a burrito bowl, super easy :)

Anger Management!  I had a rough evening last night, just being crabby.  I have several things going on in addition to being on Day 2 (now Day 3), cold coming on, three teens/pre-teens who have a tough time listening, need I say more?  Anyway, I was pretty negative last night, and I hope that improves.  Starting today with a meditation and jog with the dogs!  Good luck with day 3.

Would love to get in on this group, just joined the forum today but "started" the program yesterday (28th).   

I thought I was eating "clean" and have been since July.  However, since reading "It Starts With Food" I realize that I was still not doing the best I could for my health.  Really looking for encouragement, support and information and more than willing to share the same!!

Good Luck and Hello!

Thank you, Annette!! Definitely going to try that "rice" with my romaine tacos next week! Woohoo!! :-) I really would love to make my own ranch, mayo, etc, - also some zoodles and sweet potatoes baked curly fries using a spiralizer - but my goodness, the food is already expensive enough - didn't realize I would be needing all these pricy gadgets to keep it tasty! :-/

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I've been feeling very crabby also!! And hungry, but I know it's mostly cravings! Chasing a toddler around all day does not help the crabbiness either! Couldn't imagine 3 teens!! Ahhhh!!

By the way, any of you on Instagram? I am as kahaliti again - let's follow each other! Another tip for anyone wanting whole30 approved seasonings and condiments/dressings without making them yourselves - check out Flavor God (so good!) and tessamaes (spelling?)

Good luck with day 3!! :-)

Would love to get in on this group, just joined the forum today but "started" the program yesterday (28th).   

I thought I was eating "clean" and have been since July.  However, since reading "It Starts With Food" I realize that I was still not doing the best I could for my health.  Really looking for encouragement, support and information and more than willing to share the same!!

Good Luck and Hello!

Hi, I need all the support and encouragement I can get!  Good luck with day 3 :)

Who found themselves opening the fridge and pantry last night out of habit?! I did!! Lol

So far, so good but my husband is going through major sugar withdrawal and having horrible headaches! Luckily, I don't have that problem because nasty red bull was NEVER in my diet! Poor guy. I am, however, dying to sink my teeth in to a loaf of French bread or a warm apple pie. Gah!

How did you all fair day 1? :-)

Ha! I did that "look in the pantry & fridge" thing every night before starting W30!!! Not so these past 2 days....yay! I would eat fruit in place of that, but staying in the 1-2 servings per day range; and mostly eating it soon after dinner!

Alexian28, etal:

Loving all the encouragment here.......I sure need it! It's helpful to hear of your joys & struggles! Thankfully, I'm not having any headaches...maybe because I'm still drinking coffee....LOL. Also, temptations have been minimal. Saw many "yummies" during my trip to Whole Foods last night, but resisted! They should NOT have the little cylindrical container that has those bite-size pieces of chocolate at the register.....LOL.Anyway, was so happy to find bacon without sugar & Tessemae's dressing; tried the Southwest Ranch flavor of dressing last night.....really good on my salad!

So far, so good, thru 2 days of this healthy eating. I'm really happy to be on this plan.....wondering if a plateau is coming?!?!?

Totally helpful to hear encouragment in making meals ahead & keeping them simple!

By the way, any of you on Instagram? I am as kahaliti again - let's follow each other! Another tip for anyone wanting whole30 approved seasonings and condiments/dressings without making them yourselves - check out Flavor God (so good!) and tessamaes (spelling?)

Good luck with day 3!! :-)

Thanks for the tips on the condiments/dressings, I'm trying to find anyway I can to "snazz" up my food options a little :)  I agree that things can get a bit expensive, I noticed that there is a cookbook called Well Fed, Flat Broke - Recipes for Modest Budgets and Messy Kitchens....might be something to check out? I'm on Instagram and would love to have other fellow Whole30ers to follow, look me up at kdrauck :)

Didn't sleep very well again last night.  I even tired some of my new doTerra oils, and no such luck.  I hope that part gets better, I am wiped out by 9.  I work in banking and today I am inside of one of our locations at a Grocery Store!  YIKES!  Good part- they have a wonderful Salad Bar that I can hit for lunch.  bad part... I have an entire store that is filled with items I WANT to have, but know that I have to make better choices and be intentional about them.  I printed the Off-Roading Guide and have it in front of me!  It gets better... Right?

Day 3....Feeling much better than yesterday, still pretty tired but I'm also chalking some of that up to not going to bed at an appropriate time.  My goal today....no mid-morning snack.  I've been having an apple or grapes...and I know I'm breaking the 3-meals-a-day rule so I'm going to try my hardest!!  We carved pumpkins last night and my husband nicely roasted pumpkin seeds...and added seasoning salt and whatnot.... :(  I stayed strong lol  I have a desk job that I've just returned to from mat leave, and after being at home and busy every second of the day and not having much time to sit...I just want to eat at my desk.  I'm making an effort to go for a mid-morning walk instead of grabbing something to munch on, or I drink more water and try to get my mind off of food. I am determined to beat this sugar dragon!! :D

Hope everyone is having a great start to Day 3!! You can do this!

Feeling super tired but loving the food.  Much love for the meal road maps in the back of ISWF.  Using this Whole30 to "keep it simple stupid" when it comes to cooking.  Cooked 2 lbs of ground venison, used one for the Taste of Greece recipe and the remaining pound for something later on in the week.  Drizzled it with classic pantry vinegarette and side of pumpkin.  I am using lots of frozen and precut veggies (like winter squash and broc/cauli bagged mixes available at almost any grocery store) to save time.  I feel freedom knowing I just need meat+2cups veggies+fat seasoning.  Simple.   

Welcome to our new people and our veterans!  I LOVE waking up and reading this forum first thing in the morning.  Y'all get me pumped for the day.  

Regarding food/expenses/gadgets etc.... Although I have a fun zoodler, and a food processor to make cauli-rice, and a hand blender to make mayo and dressings... I'm purposefully keeping it as simple as possible this first week (and maybe two weeks) so as to not overwhelm myself.  No new recipes, no extra prep, lots of frozen veggies... if anything I'm trying to keep prep to a minimum.  The only "work" I'm doing this week is making and eating breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It's hard enough for me that I have to make time for breakfast, that I have to pack a lunch, and we can't go "oh we're tired let's go out to eat", without worrying about making stuff I've never made!  I just don't eat the rice at dinner, or I sub our regular package taco seasoning with homemade, or I buy more onions and garlic to cook with rather than relying on spice mixes that have something called "natural flavor" in it.  I found I'm a bit overwhelmed with everything in life PLUS the whole30.  However I can see myself making that yummy ranch recipe in the Well Fed cookbook next week for my carrots and broccoli and salad :-D

Last night was pretty good; it was nice to come home to a crockpot full of already done dinner.  I snuck in a few pecans at the end and they were oh-so-tasty!  Slept pretty well last night, I fell asleep faster than usual and went back to sleep faster than usual when I woke.  I'm hoping it's the start of a trend and not just a fluke.  My lower back is hurting though because I didn't do my stretches at my desk yesterday.  Feel ok today, no headache (yesterday's headache sucked), just a little lethargic.  However I'm pumped and excited because today is my daughter's first day at her new PT and we're hoping to get her a walker to use at school!

Happy Day 3 Everyone!

Happy Day 3, everyone! I made it through book group last night, (It's called Reading Between the Wines, if that tells you anything!) It was a little challenging to resist the wine, but I brought a kombucha with me so I had something a little more special than regular water. I ate a good-sized dinner before, so the treats were easier to resist. I was most worried about navigating this, especially so early into the W30, so I'm feeling a nice boost of confidence this morning.

@Khaliti: If you haven't already, check out http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/ and http://nomnompaleo.com/. They both have tons of great W30 resources and recipes. During our first W30, I was really struggling with the complete change in our cooking/shopping, but when I found Well Fed (the cookbook from the first site's author) life got a million times better. I haven't made a recipe from that book that hasn't been delicious and they are very straightforward and easy to follow. She posts a lot of recipes from the book on her site, so you can try it out before you buy the book(s). NNP is also really fantastic, but for whatever reason, I think of her site/recipes as a little more advanced/fancy than WF/CMtG. We cooked last year's Thanksgiving dinner almost exclusively from her site, so she's definitely a good resource. :-)

The only real gadget I bought for "paleo cooking" was a vegetable spiral cutter to make zucchini noodles. I just went with a basic one from Amazon (I don't remember what kind, but it looks like a little hour glass and doesn't have all of the fancy attachments.) It's been fantastic for making veggie noodles, which are far tastier than I expected them to be and a nice change of texture when you get a little tired of meat & sides or salads.  

I haven't read all the replies yet (will later!) because I have a crabby toddler and am trying to manage getting through lunch but just wanted to ask -- any of you enjoy the taste of your food so much more?! Holy cow!!!! I've been trying to eat slowly and have enjoyed my food so much! The fruit tastes out of this world and I even like my salad dry. Seriously?! On day 3 and am already seeing major results. My husbands chronic upset stomach is gone, my breast feeding acne is gradually going away. Just nuts but loving it, of course!! See any results yet guys?! :-)

Been reading some more of the postings about the vegetarian plan.  Since there are some differences, I have the correct grocery list for this weekend and can plan some meals for next week.  I did not plan well for this week, I don't think since I had the wrong list. doing some research for paleo vegetarian meals I think will help as well.  I am not feeling good today.  headache and I am very tired.  I hope my little one goes down easy tonight.  I am one tired momma!

Having cravings this afternoon, but resisting so far by drinking water. Ugh, my co-worker had a bag of my favorites (CHEEZ-ITS) right under my nose, at my desk! LOL! They smelled so good!! Feeling tired at 3pm. Hmmm.....now I'm having symptoms I've heard about in the forum comments. I shall conquer!!

Archived