Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AprilLynne - hope you got through the concessions, and dessert making ok.  That's a lot of temptation.

Feeling pretty tired today, but I also have this cold thing going on. I'm looking forward to my slow-cooker porkchops with mushroom, onion and garlic topping.  I also have a baked squash with cinnamon as a side, and will probably try some smashed cauliflower, too.

Last night I pan fried a white potato in coconut oil, something I've done with sweet potatoes, and it was the best potato I'd ever eaten.

@kahaliti- yes, food is divine!

Day three coming to a close. My main issue is my dad. My daughter and I recently moved in with him and he has a horrible diet! Lots of fast food/junk food in the house and he doesn't understand why I would undertake such a lifestyle change. He's very set in his ways and resistant to trying new things. He could greatly benefit from a healthier diet but has zero interest in it and is actually annoyed at my cooking choices. Ugh! Other than that, I'm doing well. Kind of tired today and only one craving which was so weird and random: at the grocery store I passed a bag of sugar and wanted to dive into the middle of it! I hadn't noticed any sugar cravings so it was so crazy!

Livin - I did!  Thanks! There were even muffins in  the house all day and I resisted.  I put them on a tray and covered them with foil so I didn't have that visual cue.

Day 3 felt pretty good, but this afternoon, I was in kinda of a funk.  Just didn't want to do anything and felt kind out of it.  I'm feeling better as I head into dinner with my hubby. And I find I head to bed earlier, so I'm not out were the food is.

Pretty much what is keeping me going right now is wanting to see ig this whole thing (no pun intended  :D ) really works.

Love hearing how all of you are doing...it really helps knowing there are others on this journey!

See you all tomorrow 

Had to take a nap this afternoon. I'm lucky I work my own hours. But I hate being tired and unproductive. Looking forward to this phase ending.

Anyone else use Plan to Eat? You can share recipe books, and so I've already hooked up with a few other folks that have whole30 recipes uploaded. So cool I already have my meal plans and shopping list ready for next week!

Day 4 - woohoo!  Feeling good :)

My in-laws came into town yesterday bearing lots of wine, caramel corn, and some special homemade pretzel mix...the only thing I really want is the wine, the caramel corn looks way too sweet!!

Hope everyone is feeling good this morning!  

Congrats on everyone on making it to day 4... Starting day 3 here and I can start to feel the edge of crankiness coming on. I managed to eat a plain salad at my conference yesterday with a rilled chicken breast I had brought with me and resisted all the cookies, brownies, and sweets they had laid out. I even enjoyed a cup of black coffee.

My biggest fear right now is this weekend.... Tomorrow is Halloween and I normally LIVE for the candy. I know I can get through it, but the next day my brother is getting married.... and I know None of the food at the party after will be whole 30... going to try and whip up somethng fantastic and sneak it in.

I am feeling pretty good overall... made it through a 45 minute cardio session followed by teachng dance for 45 minutes. I am debating if I am going to run the steps today... maybe it will fix my crankiness?

Day four... I am not feeling well :mellow:  I think it's a combination of the change in diet, and the fact that I have a nasty cold or flu or something. Maybe it's helpful to me getting through the initial phase (to be sick, I mean).  Anyway, I am trying to stick with the spirit of the W30 by eating my three meals, but you know how hard that can be when you're not feeling well.  I also really wanted a lozenge for my sore throat, but drank warm tea instead.  I'm hoping by Saturday this cold will be alleviating! 

Day 4 people, wahoo!!! Didn't sleep well last night and have been feeling tired and cranky, still no head aches though! I'm a little terrified for my husband...he drank nearly two gallons of water yesterday - some of which was to resist cravings, but I still think that's far too much and a sign of diabetes which his grandfather passed from. Heart problems also run in his family. He got dizzy and felt like he was having a mild heart attack last night while power walking (said he felt like he couldn't breathe enough oxygen in) - it lasted only a minute or two and he refused to go to the hospital so I'm kind of freaking out. Wondering if it's serious or red bull withdrawals.

Does anyone else get full after eating only half their meal?! I'm confused with this. I literally only eat half of the recommended meal and I'm stuffed, can't eat anymore...weird.

Does anyone else get full after eating only half their meal?! I'm confused with this. I literally only eat half of the recommended meal and I'm stuffed, can't eat anymore...weird.

I haven't noticed that I can't eat anymore.  I do feel plenty satisfied when I'm done with my meal.  In my case, I would have to guess it's the extra fat that I wasn't eating, is giving me better satiety signals.  

Your husband's attack sounds very scary - I think he should be taking that very seriously.

Happy Day Four everyone! I was so tired yesterday, I'm hoping today will be better for that. We're reaching that dangerous point where the food we cooked on Sunday is starting to run out, so I need to get a Saturday plan together stat! 

@Kahaliti: That's scary about your hubby. I'm not a doctor, but I'd bet that with all of that water, his electrolytes got all out of whack. Have him drink some coconut water (tons of potassium) or eat a banana, and have a little extra salt with his food today and he should start to feel better. I don't know if Red Bull has the sodium that soda does, but that might also be a contributing factor. I've also gotten dizzy spells on W30 when I go way too low carb, so take a look at what starchy veggies he's eating.

My hubby had a mild heart attack earlier this year (blocked artery) and said it's a pretty unmistakable feeling, like someone is squeezing your chest with a giant fist. He was having issues when he was working out for weeks beforehand, so definitely keep an eye on things. I'd say if he's still having dizziness at the half-way point, have him go see someone. 

....Does anyone else get full after eating only half their meal?! I'm confused with this. I literally only eat half of the recommended meal and I'm stuffed, can't eat anymore...weird.

I am seeing that too. I went to eat lunch today and it was too much food. I suspect that its just an adjustment for my body to make and I have been trying to take my time to eat, so I am actually listening to the fact that I am full and not trying to cram more in. I have bene very chicken heavy with meals this week, so am going to mix it up next week with some pork and beef. My limited experience from the first 11 days of my my failed whole 30, I got tired of eating some food and the thought of them made me not hungry. I had eaten eggs, sweet potatoes and some sort of chicken everyday for the first 11 and it was horrible. This time around I am rotating through and havent had eggs yet for breakfast, saving those for later. Am also finishng up with the sweet potatoes I bought this week, so will move onto something else starchy... I am going to try making some mayo this weekend so I have another source of fat... the avocado is getting old this week.

This is my day 3. The last three went very well. I didn't have the head ache but I think it's because I don't eat any added sugar. My meals have been very simple.

B: 3 eggs with Onion, pepper and mushrooms and 1 banana

L: 1 can tuna drained with 1 egg made into a patty and cooked in olive oil   along with cauliflower and broccoli sprayed with olive oil and Mrs. Dash seasoning

S: 4oz. ground turkey mixed with diced tomatoes I canned and frozen green beans   (this is awesome)

snack cashews and apple

I made some unrolled cabbage rolls today with out rice.

Made with ground turkey, onion, cabbage and homemade canned tomatoes cooked together till cabbage is tender.

This will be lunch or supper for the next few days..

If I keep it simple it helps with time and temptation...

Keep up the GREAT work everyone..

Day 4 people, wahoo!!! Didn't sleep well last night and have been feeling tired and cranky, still no head aches though! I'm a little terrified for my husband...he drank nearly two gallons of water yesterday - some of which was to resist cravings, but I still think that's far too much and a sign of diabetes which his grandfather passed from. Heart problems also run in his family. He got dizzy and felt like he was having a mild heart attack last night while power walking (said he felt like he couldn't breathe enough oxygen in) - it lasted only a minute or two and he refused to go to the hospital so I'm kind of freaking out. Wondering if it's serious or red bull withdrawals.

That does sound scary. Typically, water consumption is 1/2 your body weight in ounces. Hope that helps. :)

Livin hope you feel better soon!

Mad I hear you about the candy, we chose to not hand candy out this year just so the extras aren't in the house!

Kaha that sounds scary.  I agree with Md, electrolytes are probably wacky.  Lots of potassium today, calcium, magneisum, it'll help.  2 gallons is a ton of water for anyone to drink in a day.

Md I'm running out of food too!  I have very vague ideas for dinner tonight and that is NOT good.  I'm thinking of finding some take-out place where I know I can get a good salad and just throw leftovers on top.  But I need a plan, stat!

I had that issue with food yesterday morning and evening where I just wasn't hungry.  I powered through as much as I could, making sure I ate as much of my protein and fat as possible.  Lunch was ok, it was just leftovers.  This morning it was fine.  I felt like eating instead of food making me nauseous, I ate what I had, and I was satisfied after I was done.  

Yesterday I had my worst craving attack.  My daughter was being a pill and I was so stressed out I just wanted some freakin chips.  I actually laid on the couch like a sick person and whined to my husband that I wanted chips.  It was pretty pathetic :-)  I was so exhausted that I didn't go walk on the treadmill I just went to bed... at 8pm!  I figured it was better that I stick to whole30 than exercise.  I feel more "hungover" today than I did yesterday!  But, onward and outward (inward? I am trying to get healthier and thinner!) to day 4.

@Livin4Lish - Keep going! You're doing great!! I always see all of these things as tests; you will overcome them all! You are strong enough to do it!

@ Stoneveggie - Thanks for the Plan to Eat recommendation; I haven't signed up, but I probably will, because it it looks like a REALLY great company!

Days 1 and 2 were a frittata and a chicken curry with cauliflower rice and chopped cilantro. 3 and 4 were turkish chopped salad and zucchini noodles with meat sauce (This woman is awesome - http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/05/27/basic-zucchini-noodles/ ). I picked up a zoodle maker for $8 at Bargain Hunt...SCORE! 

Was low energy on day 2, but have felt pretty good yesterday and today. Drinking lots of coconut water, and although I'm not a coffee drinker normally, I have had turkish coffee with cardamom and coconut cream for the past two days. Remember to pamper your bodies during this time with some good yoga and/or bodywork; I'm going to get a few massages while I'm on this program. If you have a massage school on your area, look them up and see if they have a student clinic; I've always had really positive experiences with the students as they are very open, present, and wanting to learn and practice. And they are affordable. 

Good luck, everyone!! :D

Noticed I was easily annoyed after being at work for only a little while this morning................. :o

Wondering if it had anything to do with my post workout snack/meal of:

• Cashew Cookie  Larabar
  • Banana
  • Cashews

I ate these before my actual breakfast. I think I balanced the protein & sugar in the PWO food......but just wondering if it affected my mood. Thoughts anyone?

So disappointed right now! My favorite shaker in the spice cabinet - Lawry's garlic salt - is not Whole30 compliant! What should just be garlic, parsley and salt also includes: modified food starch (I have no idea what this even is), sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (cottonseed and soybean) and carrot oil. WTF Lawry's?? Does anyone have a good swap for me? Like Frank's Red Hot, I put that #%?! on everything!

So disappointed right now! My favorite shaker in the spice cabinet - Lawry's garlic salt - is not Whole30 compliant! What should just be garlic, parsley and salt also includes: modified food starch (I have no idea what this even is), sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (cottonseed and soybean) and carrot oil. WTF Lawry's?? Does anyone have a good swap for me? Like Frank's Red Hot, I put that #%?! on everything!

I know! Whenever I check the label I get a little mad at the company... like WHY do you have to put all the crap in the mix? It has inspired me to try and make my own mixes....And I know that they have a list of compliant Hot Sauces in the Links area.

Feeling so Tired right now... I normally run 20-30 flights of steps on thursdays before I teach dance, but I just couldnt get myself to do, especially knowing I have dance to teach tonight. I know we are suppossed to take it easy the first week or so, but i feel like a complete slug.... and not in a good way! I know this is all part of the whole deal... but I feel pretty crappy right now!

Oh and Aelxian- No candy for us this year either.. but I know there will be some at my Brother's... I WILL resist!

I just found this thread today.  I actually started on Tuesday 10/28, but I'm hoping maybe you all will let me ride along with you! :)   I am very excited to be on this journey and am really looking forward to sharing support and experiences.  I'm doing OK so far - so glad I'm not alone!  Really hungry today! 

@Livin4Lish - Keep going! You're doing great!! I always see all of these things as tests; you will overcome them all! You are strong enough to do it!

@ Stoneveggie - Thanks for the Plan to Eat recommendation; I haven't signed up, but I probably will, because it it looks like a REALLY great company!

Days 1 and 2 were a frittata and a chicken curry with cauliflower rice and chopped cilantro. 3 and 4 were turkish chopped salad and zucchini noodles with meat sauce (This woman is awesome - http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/05/27/basic-zucchini-noodles/ ). I picked up a zoodle maker for $8 at Bargain Hunt...SCORE! 

Was low energy on day 2, but have felt pretty good yesterday and today. Drinking lots of coconut water, and although I'm not a coffee drinker normally, I have had turkish coffee with cardamom and coconut cream for the past two days. Remember to pamper your bodies during this time with some good yoga and/or bodywork; I'm going to get a few massages while I'm on this program. If you have a massage school on your area, look them up and see if they have a student clinic; I've always had really positive experiences with the students as they are very open, present, and wanting to learn and practice. And they are affordable. 

Good luck, everyone!! :D

Thank you Saara -  I do feel like I'm on the mend, which is a great turn-around from this morning. We do actually have a massage school right in my area, I think I'll schedule one.  Good suggestion!

I just found this thread today.  I actually started on Tuesday 10/28, but I'm hoping maybe you all will let me ride along with you! :)   I am very excited to be on this journey and am really looking forward to sharing support and experiences.  I'm doing OK so far - so glad I'm not alone!  Really hungry today! 

Welcome, and hope your day three went well!  Have you been following the food template?  I haven't been hungry if I keep my meals within the template.  That's not to say I haven't been tempted by the piles of Halloween candy we have laying around our house :wacko:

OK, yes, I have been cranky, and not feeling well, but here's an observation I haven't seen anyone else mention.  I haven't really been restricting calories, and have kept my water consumption about the same as always. I have noticed that I'm gettin up like three times during the night to pee!  If this extra weight I'm carrying has so much to do with water retention, I will be happy to maintain this lifestyle forever.  And you know, come to think of it, my knees are feeling a little better (especially since the cold seems to have moved from achy to stuffy).

Noticed I was easily annoyed after being at work for only a little while this morning................. :o

Wondering if it had anything to do with my post workout snack/meal of:

• Cashew Cookie  Larabar
  • Banana
  • Cashews

I ate these before my actual breakfast. I think I balanced the protein & sugar in the PWO food......but just wondering if it affected my mood. Thoughts anyone?

Maybe you needed a little more protein?  I don't know, I was crabby as heck yesterday, but seem to have evened out today.  I notice you're a swimmer - cool, one of my favorite work-outs.

Archived