Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

I had my first "Eat Out" experience this morn. After swim workout on Saturdays, some of us go eat breakfast together. I was nervous about this today! But no worries. It was at Cafe' Central Market and the set-up was so that I could easily ask about what they use to make their omelets (oils, butter, etc.). They used butter.......eek!!! Or spray Canola Oil.....eek again!!! I asked if they could simply use nothing, and the cook heard me and asked "How 'bout Olive Oil"? I said "perfect"!! I was so happy that this worked out. The omelet was delicious. I added tomatoes, onion, peppers and avocado. It came with a side of toast and fruit. I declined the bread. I was proud of myself and happy this worked out. Yay! Enjoying this plan so far....the overwhelming part is subsiding.

Have a swim party potluck in 2 weeks, and have been nervous about that too. I am bringing plan-compliant meatballs; i'm hoping that somebody will bring a side-dish salad or other easily identifiable plan-compliant dish :). I'm not wanting to ask anyone what they used to make their dish with. The alcohol is usually free-flowing at these parties, and this is the part I'm most nervous about. Any suggestions on how to deal with this, and not feel deprived?

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 6 is over and I'm feeling good about what I'm eating.  I feel good one minute and really tired the next.  Just going up a flight of stairs left me really dizzy, hoping after the weekend everything will start smoothing out.  I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts....it's keeping me going.

Hang in everyone we're gonna feel great really soon!

Have a swim party potluck in 2 weeks, and have been nervous about that too. I am bringing plan-compliant meatballs; i'm hoping that somebody will bring a side-dish salad or other easily identifiable plan-compliant dish :). I'm not wanting to ask anyone what they used to make their dish with. The alcohol is usually free-flowing at these parties, and this is the part I'm most nervous about. Any suggestions on how to deal with this, and not feel deprived?

If you're not yet comfortable asking others the ingredients in their contribution, then either bring your own compliant side-dish along with the meatballs, or eat beforehand, so you're not famished at the party.  Regarding alcohol, drink compliant sparkling water or seltzer with a lime/lemon, or toss a couple olives in it, so it looks like an alcoholic beverage.  No one will be the wiser ...

I just usually eat my meal after my workout, within an hour/hour & half. I know that's not what W30 recommends, but it's the best I can do right now. I will try to practice the after-workout recommendations; it's just that there's a lot of eating-habit changes this 1st week, so this post w/o one will have to wait a bit. And I'll try to find the "For Athletes" forum. Thoughts, anyone, on POST & PRE workout food?

Eating your meal 1-1.5 hours after your workout is too late to be considered a Post WO meal.  It's just another meal at that point.  If you're going to have a true Post WO meal, have it within 15-30 minutes after your workout, per the recommended meal template. The idea of the post WO fuel, per ISWF, is to "help you start the recovery process faster and more effectively. As you train, your muscles and connective tissue need protein and your glycogen stores may need replenishing."  Chicken and sweet potato is a popular choice. Here is the link to the Whole30 for Athletes forum for more ideas.

Day 6 is over and I'm feeling good about what I'm eating.  I feel good one minute and really tired the next.  Just going up a flight of stairs left me really dizzy, hoping after the weekend everything will start smoothing out.  I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts....it's keeping me going.

Hang in everyone we're gonna feel great really soon!

Yes, I have those experiences, too.  I go upstairs and feel like my heart rate has gone up.  I have added a pre-breakfast snack to my day since I actually felt faint a couple times, this is the third day of that, and it seems to be helping.

Another one in the "Man, last night was tough!" camp. Having Halloween be on a Friday night made it really hard to be on the Whole30. I decided to make a really yummy dinner to keep from feeling too deprived: Nom Nom Paleo's Cracklin' Chicken with Well Fed2's Coconut Cauliflower Rice and Casablanca Carrots. It was amazing and did keep things from feeling too pathetic.

Now it's time to replenish supplies for the week. Looking forward to that shopping cart full of vegetables. It always makes me feel like a rock star. Have a great weekend, everybody!

M

Tough for me, too.  My daughter's volleyball party with pizza and desserts.  I ate left over paleo fajitas before we went, and munched on the veggie tray I brought to the party. It was OK, but I did feel deprived :( .  Made it though, and happy to be on day 7!

Day seven!  Woo! Hoo!  I made a crockpot chicken yesterday, forgetting that we had a pizza party last night, so guess what?  Dinner is already made for the evening.  I found a very lovely "gravy" recipe that I'll be using.  Not sure about sides yet.  Perhaps mushrooms and onions with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, or possibly some potatoes pan fried in coconut oil (my kids love this). I have had white potatoes twice since starting, though, and I don't want to have them too often.

Oh my gosh!! I just woke up from the most vivid dream. I was on my second bite of a yogurt covered granola bar, when i realized I had blown it. Then I thought, well, I'll have to start over, might as well finish the bar.

Was so relieved to wake up and find I was ok, but a little frustrated that in my dream, going of Whole30 didn't seem to bother me much. The dream was so real!!!

Well, on to day 7! Let's do this!!!

Happy Day 7, everyone! So, I've had no major cravings so far and things have been going smoothly...energy level good most of the time (apart from Day 2, when I needed - and took - a nap and was cranky and low energy), no trouble finding delicious and W30 compliant menus...but on most days, I'm finding I'm having some pain in my joints. Anyone else experiencing this? 

Day 7 and YES I'm feeling like for sure I'm going to finish this 30 and do it again to get through the Holiday's.  I'm feeling better today, just a little tired.  Still having a hard time eating the eggs for breakfast (this started on Day 4).  I'm off to the store to stock up for the week so I'm hoping to find some new inspiration with the produce, I may even start doing a green juice smoothie with nuts for protein for a few days just to get a break from the eggs :).  Onward!

Oh my gosh!! I just woke up from the most vivid dream. I was on my second bite of a yogurt covered granola bar, when i realized I had blown it. Then I thought, well, I'll have to start over, might as well finish the bar.

Was so relieved to wake up and find I was ok, but a little frustrated that in my dream, going of Whole30 didn't seem to bother me much. The dream was so real!!!

Well, on to day 7! Let's do this!!!

LOL too funny I had dreams all night about junk food...it was super bad.  I'd wake my self up and sure enough fall into another junk food binge dream or should I say nightmare :).   So glad to read these posts and have a little support day to day!

Day 7 and YES I'm feeling like for sure I'm going to finish this 30 and do it again to get through the Holiday's. I'm feeling better today, just a little tired. Still having a hard time eating the eggs for breakfast (this started on Day 4). I'm off to the store to stock up for the week so I'm hoping to find some new inspiration with the produce, I may even start doing a green juice smoothie with nuts for protein for a few days just to get a break from the eggs :). Onward!

Smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food vs drink it, as chewing is more satiating.

Also, nuts are considered a fat source, not a protein source, on a Whole30.

There are boatloads of ideas for non-egg breakfasts on the forum. Start with thinking about it as Meal 1. Google Whole30 non-egg breakfast and you'll get links to several past discussion threads on this topic.

I'm having the opposite experience here! Was going great in the beginning and just now feeling like this 30 days is going to be tough! For the first time, I too had a food dream last night - how crazy is that?! My husband and I have been doing phenomenal the first 4 days but weekends are SUPER hard! Baby shower today had all my favorite foods - Caesar salad, a cheesy broccoli pasta, bread and cheesecake with strawberry sauce for dessert. I ate nothing and wanted to cry but I'm proud for holding strong yet again! Look forward to another work week so we can stay focused and not be tempted to break!! :-)

I feel like I was doing great most of this week with only a couple cravings that I beat with out much trouble, and then the weekend came. I worked back to back, 12 hour midnights & it about did me in. I stayed out of the break room & ate only compliant food (although I don't think I packed enough for Saturday night) so that was a win, but today has been rough. I think that not enough food last night added to not enough sleep pushed me right into the "kill all the things" phase that I thought I had sailed past earlier in the week. I am tired, crabby & having trouble worrying about the rules of the plan. My hubby made dinner (compliant for us & not so compliant for the girls) so hopefully I can eat well tonight, sleep & feel better tomorrow.

Smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food vs drink it, as chewing is more satiating.

Also, nuts are considered a fat source, not a protein source, on a Whole30.

There are boatloads of ideas for non-egg breakfasts on the forum. Start with thinking about it as Meal 1. Google Whole30 non-egg breakfast and you'll get links to several past discussion threads on this topic.

Thank you...I'm on it now :)

One week in!  Not feeling it this morning - I opened my fridge and nothing looked appealing.  I need to be a better planner.  Also, as I look at the what to expect list, I would say the gastric issues are revealing themselves.  Last night I felt bloated, this morning some real cramping.  Gotta stay strong, because ultimately, I know this is going to make me a healthier person!

I made it through the weekend!!! It was tough but I did it. I ate some baked chicken, spinach, and a sweet potato before the wedding and was so glad I did. The only compliant thing was green beans at the wedding, everything else was not compliant or was questionable. So i had some raw veggies (wit some Guac I brought with me). Wasn't too bad and I had a glass with Seltzer water and some limes in it and looked like I was in the party, but wasn't going off plan.

Sunday was a hard day just due to life. There were 3 different "stressful" events during the day and it was topped off at the grocery store when I went to pay for my stuff and realized I didn't have my wallet or checkbook with me! I almost cried in the middle of the store! Luckily I have a cousin who lives right around the corner, so she showed up pronto for me and got my groceries! Life Saver!

With my groceries, I was able to make delicious Bora Bora Meatballs! With Sunshine Sauce! It was worth the extra time I spent reading every label! I really enjoyed dinner last night... it was the highlight of my day!

Nashville... I get "Food Fatigue" as well and am trying to rotate through different things. Saturday was my last day for Sweet potatoes for the week. I switched to some squash this week and red potatoes as back up. I also have no plans to eat eggs for breakfast... this morning I had some left over meatballs with some broccoli. Was amazing. 

Hello everyone!  I hate to report that I need to leave you all for awhile.  I hope to come back in a few months, and I will carry what I've learned from whole30 and all of you forward until I return.  All the best!

AWw we will miss you... WE know you will be back!

I had yet another food dream last night and have been experiencing some digestive upsets - last night I was slightly bloated and cramping too LIVIN4LISH. This morning after good sleep, I feel much better and I think I'm already starting to drop a bit of weight (or maybe just bloat!)

For the first time, I look forward to week days instead of weekends lol I am dreading next weekend!! So hard! We did groceries last night at Costco and meal planned so I'm ready for the week for the most part, although I feel like I have to go to the grocery store several times a week for one ingredient or the other which is annoying. Our grocery bill is significantly higher than before as expected. :-( I also purchased a spiralizer to make zoodles and curly fries and the cuisinart mini prep plus to make my own mayo and ranch (dry salads with olive oil are starting to become unbearable) off of amazon yesterday and got free shipping! Yay!

Day 8 and looking forward to the week ahead!! :-)

Hi everyone! Congrats on making it through the first week, especially the weekend. I had a two-hour trail run with a training group that I was VERY nervous about how I was going to do, especially on what to eat during. (I typically do gels or the like.) I'd made some unsweetened cherry-applesauce a few weeks ago, so I put some of that in a little squeeze bottle and brought a Lara bar and made it through. I know I'm supposed to be moving away from using sugar as a fuel source, but I didn't want to completely crash in the middle of the woods. I'll continue to experiments as I go, but it was such a relief to know I have something. I need to be better about packing a post-workout meal though, that's my goal for next week.

Otherwise, the weekend was all about food shopping (holy grocery bills, Batman!) and then a ton of food prep. I love rolling into the week with a fridge full of options, but I was pretty tired of cooking by the time I finished yesterday.

I've also had a couple of really vivid food dreams where I ate off-plan foods and was totally devastated about it, so I'm glad to know I'm not alone in that!

M

Day eight and this morning was much better....no eggs I ate left over Spaghetti Squash and Red Sauce with Ground Buffalo from last nights dinner.  It was a winner last night and even better this morning to get me going.  Did my shopping for the week last night (but you know there will be lots of trips to the store for a few things).  I feel prepared and ready for week two.  I'm feeling really good this morning and have just a little bloat left, I'm feeling energized and I slept great for the first time last night.  YAY :).

I'm glad the moderator stopped me from doing a green juice or any kind of smoothie! I love the support I'm getting on this page thank you all so much.

Hang in there week one is gone <3

One question I see Deli Meat on so many of these recipes and snacks but I've been able to find any at all that don't have some kind of sugar in the ingredients.  Any suggestions on brand or where to get?

Hi Susan! I've also brought kombucha to things where I knew I'd want to drink. Search the forum for all of the rules about it, but I think it's basically as long as sugar isn't added after the fermenting process, it's compliant. I like the GT's brand (I think it's the classic ones?) It has a nice tang to it that feels similar to wine and it looks pretty in a wine glass. I've also done the club soda with lime to good effect.

Hi everyone! Congrats on making it through the first week, especially the weekend. I had a two-hour trail run with a training group that I was VERY nervous about how I was going to do, especially on what to eat during. (I typically do gels or the like.) I'd made some unsweetened cherry-applesauce a few weeks ago, so I put some of that in a little squeeze bottle and brought a Lara bar and made it through. I know I'm supposed to be moving away from using sugar as a fuel source, but I didn't want to completely crash in the middle of the woods. I'll continue to experiments as I go, but it was such a relief to know I have something. I need to be better about packing a post-workout meal though, that's my goal for next week.

Otherwise, the weekend was all about food shopping (holy grocery bills, Batman!) and then a ton of food prep. I love rolling into the week with a fridge full of options, but I was pretty tired of cooking by the time I finished yesterday.

I've also had a couple of really vivid food dreams where I ate off-plan foods and was totally devastated about it, so I'm glad to know I'm not alone in that!

M

I know that I keep a larabar with me during my longer runs as well... that cherry apple sauce sounds really great! I will have to try something like that too... 

Whew! Week #1 is in the books. Last week, my concentration seemed focused on making sure my eats were plan-compliant. Getting started last week was overhwhelming, so this week I'm focusing on the balance of protein/vegetables/fats/fruits in my meals, and also paying more attention to portion sizes. I was lacking a bit in veggies last week. I'm noticing the brain-switch in knowing that I don't need as much food as I was eating last week. I'm enjoying this plan and will be making some different things to eat this week. I have made homemade mayo & it's awesome!! Praise for the little things :).  Best of luck to everyone this week!!!

I'm wondering if there's a plan-compliant way to make pizza?? Is there such a thing as plan-compliant cheese & pepperoni?? :wub:

Archived