Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

Whew! Week #1 is in the books. Last week, my concentration seemed focused on making sure my eats were plan-compliant. Getting started last week was overhwhelming, so this week I'm focusing on the balance of protein/vegetables/fats/fruits in my meals, and also paying more attention to portion sizes. I was lacking a bit in veggies last week. I'm noticing the brain-switch in knowing that I don't need as much food as I was eating last week. I'm enjoying this plan and will be making some different things to eat this week. I have made homemade mayo & it's awesome!! Praise for the little things :).  Best of luck to everyone this week!!!

I'm wondering if there's a plan-compliant way to make pizza?? Is there such a thing as plan-compliant cheese & pepperoni?? :wub:

I believe anything close to Plan Compliant Pizza is considered "Sex With Your Pants On" and is a no no! I wish.... cause I love me some pizza

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One question I see Deli Meat on so many of these recipes and snacks but I've been able to find any at all that don't have some kind of sugar in the ingredients.  Any suggestions on brand or where to get?

Try Applegate Farms. Last time I checked, their roast beef was compliant (but their turkey was not).  In any case, always read ingredient labels carefully, as companies have changed ingredients, and sometimes ingredients differ in various regions of the country.

Besides sugar/sweeteners, the other biggies you want to watch out for in deli meat are carrageenan, soy and gluten.

Finding compliant prosciutto may be easier: many have an ingredient list of just pork and salt.

I know that I keep a larabar with me during my longer runs as well... that cherry apple sauce sounds really great! I will have to try something like that too... 

Thanks! I got the applesauce recipe from this: http://www.theyummylife.com/Fruit_Spice_Applesauce_Blends It's insanely easy. (I riffed on the cranberry version for the cherry flavor.) I've also made the blueberry one and a pear/apple one. (My veggie box this year contained A LOT of apples... ) I blended mine really well with an immersion blender and then just stick it in a gel flask, but you could use one of those small water bottles that go in the waist belts as well.

M

Week one has been a success...but I am still wiped?! I think an earlier bed time is in store for this mama! I'm struggling a little with how to organize myself and shopping for groceries.  I find I'm also at the grocery store multiple times during the week, running on my lunch hour to grab something that a recipe needs that I don't have...it all adds up and my grocery bill is definitely more than it used to be.  I realize though that I would never have questioned spending $10 on a item full of unhealthy choices, but all of a sudden a bottle of avocado oil thats $12 seems crazy...so I'm starting to justify my choices a little more easily :)

This week was full of challenges for me...Halloween for one...and I also had company and thought I'd make them cookies...really?...yep I did that....but I didn't indulge which is showing me that I am truly dedicated to a better self with healthier skin, so I'm super proud of myself!!

I'm not having crazy food dreams, just crazy dreams in general with people that I haven't talked to in forever or that I used to go to school with, going on random adventures...so bizarre lol

Congrats to all you rockstars out there...week one is under the belt, pat yourselves on the back :D

It has been a few days since I posted.  I also have reached the digestive issues and bloating... went to put on a pair of jeans and it was a NO but I know that I am losing weight. I can see it in my face/chin/neck.  Prepped some meals for this week yesterday, when all I wanted to do was take a nap.  I have a chili for lunches, egg casseroles (no cheese) for me to reheat this week for breakfast.  Then I have Black Bean Burgers (made from scratch) for some dinners.  Among some other additions to my pantry.  

We had a family birthday party to go to, so I took a salad and some shredded chicken and a yogurt for dessert instead of the delicious looking ice cream cake!  Ugh!  I so wanted a bite! 

Is anyone else experiencing a loss of appetite? I find that I will have a few bites of something, and then just get completely uninterested in eating.  So I have been giving myself more options during meals. Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

Feeling like I emerged out of the fog today. Hooray one week down! I am challenged in the kitchen so I Downloaded Nom Nom Paleo cookbook App onto my ipad. It has Whole30 recipes that have helped me to not eat the same thing everyday...the recipes have been delicious and I finally learned how to cook hard boiled eggs the right way!

Sidneybr - I did experience a loss of appetite around day 3-4 - I only got through half my meal and was stuffed, so weird! Im back to eating more now, not sure if that's a symptom or should be expected? Don't mean to burst your bubble, but I thought black beans and yogurt were both non-compliant foods? No dairy and no legumes allowed on the whole30.

I'm feeling amazing today -- could be due to a full fridge and options galore but my energy is starting to increase, my mood is better, I'm noticeably losing weight, my sleep is regulating, my horrible Breastfeeding acne has calmed tremendously, just feel great! So proud of myself and all of you awesome people!!

Anyways, one bump is that I started teaching natural childbirth classes this week Monday nights 7-9pm and I typically go to sleep with my daughter at 8/9 so I'm drained by that time. Will figure something out though!!

On to day 9 everyone!! Hold strong! :-)

P.S. Tonight I made romaine tacos with homemade seasoning and homemade guacamole topped with tomatoes, red onion and cilantro -- to die for!! I didn't even miss my typical soft flour shell - the romaine added a nice crunch - so yummy!

Here is the simple seasoning recipe if anyone cares to try it - so simple!! : http://www.2catsandchloe.com/2014/07/whole30-approved-taco-seasoning-and.html

Day 9 and I'm soooooo tired this morning....dreams about really non compliant food all night :).  I have my day all planned so come heck I'll be sticking to the plan.  I plan to drink a lot more water today I feel very thirsty this morning so maybe that's what all the crazy dreams were about.  We're almost 1/3 of the way there and I can't wait to start feeling more of what I felt yesterday!

P.S. Tonight I made romaine tacos with homemade seasoning and homemade guacamole topped with tomatoes, red onion and cilantro -- to die for!! I didn't even miss my typical soft flour shell - the romaine added a nice crunch - so yummy!

Here is the simple seasoning recipe if anyone cares to try it - so simple!! : http://www.2catsandchloe.com/2014/07/whole30-approved-taco-seasoning-and.html

Thanks for this I made some last week that were missing a little something...this should do the trick!

Nashville - no problem!! They were a bit on the spicy side so if you don't like that, I would tone down the cayenne pepper! I love spice so it was perfect for me! I sprinkled a bit more cumin on while making but that's my only advice! Enjoy!!! :-)

Here is my recipe for guac:

3 ripe avocados

1/2 of a small red onion, diced

1/2 of a tomatoe, diced

Chopped cilantro (I use about 1/4 of a regular bunch bought at the store)

Half of a lime, fresh squeezed

Salt to taste

Cayenne pepper to taste

I eyeball everything so if half an onion seems too much or not enough for your taste - omit or add what you want!! :-)

Ooh the recipe for the guac looks amazing. I am on day 8 and feeling pretty good. And i had a nice culinary breakthrough!

I made my own mayo.... took about 10 minutes total used light tasting olive oil and my food processor. I normallu dont eat mayo, but am excited to try it and try out some different spices in it. Just has some with smoked paprika and some broccoli and some oven crisped beef. Is awesome.

Really am working through some cravings and the hold that has as a reward for me. I decided that when i finish my 30 days i am going to treat myself to something. I also decided to dangle the carrot and when i make 15 days am going to buy Well Fed and when i finish my 30 days i am going to treat myself to a new workout tank.

So what is everyone treating themselves to when you finish?

I'm so impressed by all of you rockstars! Energy levels are slowly starting to rise and stay steady all afternoon. There are still a few afternoons and evenings where I get that afternoon crashy feeling, but it's getting better. i've been able to work out yesterday and today and my sleep has been fantastic. 

@MadscienceM: Congrats on the mayo! I found that a complete game-changer. It was so great to be able to make creamy dressings, chicken/tuna/egg salad, etc.

Keep up the good work everyone!

M

Ooh the recipe for the guac looks amazing. I am on day 8 and feeling pretty good. And i had a nice culinary breakthrough!

I made my own mayo.... took about 10 minutes total used light tasting olive oil and my food processor. I normallu dont eat mayo, but am excited to try it and try out some different spices in it. Just has some with smoked paprika and some broccoli and some oven crisped beef. Is awesome.

Really am working through some cravings and the hold that has as a reward for me. I decided that when i finish my 30 days i am going to treat myself to something. I also decided to dangle the carrot and when i make 15 days am going to buy Well Fed and when i finish my 30 days i am going to treat myself to a new workout tank.

So what is everyone treating themselves to when you finish?

Wow today was tough....after dreaming about food all night and being tired all day, I really hit a wall after lunch.  I couldn't eat very much so I drank water, then the same at dinner.  But the cravings for other food is off the chain.  I'm glad I read the  Timeline Day by Day so the next 6 days may be a little tough.  At least now I know what I'm up against and willing to do whatever it takes.  For sure the kiddos Halloween candy is going bye bye, until today it really didn't bother me.  

Oh well off to bed and day 10 will be better because I'm mentally prepared.  Night All

@ md and mermaid- Yes the mayo has been wonderful. so nice to have something else to spice up my meals!

@Nashville- I hear you on the cravings. I packed my dinner last night because I had fire training at the station and even though I had just eaten a big meal, all i could think about was all the candy everyone around me was muching on. To the point that I zoned out during our lecture while watching one of our junior members peel the wrapper off of an AirHead. And they had a gallon size bag they were passing all around. I stayed strong, but it is all i can think about right now....candy. Just shows that much of my life and eating is driven by the need for that "happy" hit of sugar.

I will say that I am sleeping pretty well at night and at night I have a lot of energy, more than before! I do a lot of extra stuff other than my day job and am normally crashed by 830, but I am finiding I am feeling great in the evenings, fall asleep fast and sleep great throughout the night....

Now if I can just get my cravings under control.....

Had 2 slices of breakfast meatloaf (made with ground pork and seasonings) and a medium salad (greens, 2 tomatos, onion, and Tessemae's SW Ranch dressing) for dinner. I was REALLY full afterwards; my tummy kinda rumbled a little, so not sure what caused that. Still learning about portions. Because of a Candidate-related Election Day duty, I didn't get home 'til after 7pm, so was probably more hungry, although my tummy wasn't growling. What I put on my plate didn't LOOK like it was TOO much. Although it seems like it may have been too much, just looking at the written words of dinner above makes it seem not so.

@MadscienceM – I get that from time to time. I just sort of do the best I can with it. Sometimes I'll make myself finish the meal, sometimes I'll just wrap up the rest to have later.

Day 10 for me, one third of the way through. According to the timeline today and tomorrow are the hardest days. I'm still feeling pretty good all things considered, but let's just say I'm really ready for that gut bacteria to finish adjusting. It's not cute. We're having a very blah week weather wise and I think it's affecting my mood today. Luckily, I have a lot of leftovers in the fridge and a solid dinner plan, so I can go a little bit on auto-pilot food-wise. On the plus side, the gloomy weather and darkness happening earlier has made it much easier to go to sleep at a reasonable hour.

Hope everyone is hanging in there!

M

Hey all - congratulations on day 10!  I feel like the sick kid in the classroom, beginning this Whole 30 with a terrible cold (which has resolved a bit), and then yesterday, having severe back issues arise.  Yesterday, I was in so much pain a could not be upright, had to crawl to the bathroom.  Fortunately, I have a supportive husband who brought me compliant food a couple times (I did eat breakfast before my back decided to flare up).  Last night he made me a lovely mixed green salad with vinegar and oil dressing and grape tomatoes, and a steak that was absolutely wonderful. 

I had planned to go to the grocery store yesterday, but obviously did not make it, and neither did I go today.  I think I'll just make a couple chicken breasts with some frozen veggies tonight along with a sweet potato - boring, but it will get me through until I get to the grocery store.

I still have way too much crap in my house, and it's beginning to taunt me.  I will persevere, we're just about 1/3 through!

Boy, I've been tired today! Last night was not good. Woke at about 2pm with the worst acid reflux I've ever experienced. Finally fell back asleep. Woke at 4pm to use the restroom and felt like someone had tied lead weights to my legs. Couldn't get back to sleep, so read til 5:30. Then finally slept again til 7.

Today, food wise has been pretty good. Dinner is roasted veggies and chicken beast. First time brining them. Can't wait til they're done.

On to Day 11!

Boy, I'm so busy at work it's really distracting me from cravings. I just pack my leftovers for lunch and feel too lazy to go out for lunch like I used to. I had serious bloat the last two days but today I actually felt toned and flat bellied.

A few things that are helping me:

1 frozen veggies-- cheap and quick. I have 2 veggies for breakfast (cauliflower, winter squash, broccoli green beans okra whatever) with 4 runny eggs. Love it!

2 Canned fish -- made super simple salmon patties (one large can salmon + 1 egg + seasoning). Pan-fried it and covered it in paprika mayo and it was delicious and ready in 5min

3 mayo everything - homemade mayo with an immersion blender takes seconds. A game changer!!! I've mixed it every which way: with curry paste, avocado, paprika, and balsamic vinegar and I'm obsessed!

4 cooking meat in big batches and saving the second half for a recipe a few days later.

5 roast something as soon as I get home from work. A pork tenderloin, asparagus, carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, chicken thighs. I would eat a shoe if it was roasted in olive oil!

Feeling strong and hope you ladies are too! We *can* do this. We *are* doing this!!!

Archived