Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

@ sidneybr - stick with it! we are 1/3 of the way through this. here's what i think when i'm feeling like throwing in the towel: if i quit now, i might always wonder what benefits would've been mine had i stuck with it. i'm 1/3 of the way through, and if i finish the rest of the 30 days, i'll know for sure, beyond the shadow of a doubt, whether this diet is good for me and i like its effects.

also, be gentle with yourself and find some ways to reward yourself that don't involve food. i've been taking short naps and baths with powdered buttermilk and ginger (a wonderful anti-inflammatory and vasodilator). 

@ livin4lish: 

option 1: cut sweet potatoes into (1/2" or 1/4" rounds, pressure cook or boil them until almost cooked, and then finish by sauteeing them in coconut oil with a little salt and lots of sesame seeds.

option 2: mashed with coconut oil, salt, coconut butter, and fresh grated nutmeg.

and stoneveggies is right; roasted parsnips (with a little bit of dill weed) are the bomb! (as is rutabaga mashed up with olive oil and a little bit of nutritional yeast on top). hope one of those works :)

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW...the food fantasies have begun in full. i oscillate between wanting to live on prana, totally disinterested in food, and plotting to break into the nearest ____________ (fill in type of restaurant) and eat ____________ (insert off-limits food here) until I have a seizure of some kind. 

For whatever reason, I have hit a major wall today. Zero appetite, zero energy, super crabby, cravings are taking over, sick of cooking and doing loads of dishes and eating foods that I just don't really care for all that much. My daughter is 18 months and has been so draining today - it's like she knows I'm about to break. It's 11pm in Chicago and she just randomly woke up so even though tired as a dog, I'm stuck up for the next couple hours. I have no creativity or energy left in me anymore. I know I'm being irrational - of course my toddler isn't out to get me, of course this lifestyle change is for my health...I just want some chocolate, is that too much to ask?!?!

Kahaliti, that time of their lives is so hard, but so precious, not while you're living it, but I know for me I look back at those quiet nights alone with the babes and think they were the greatest (our minds have a way of whitewashing things, that's how we end up with multiple children ;) ). That being said, I know how you feel - this back thing is really putting a wrench in my daily activities, and when I was nearly bedridden, all I wanted to do was dig into that candy bowl, and eat - piece after piece!  Not to mention this weather (I'm just a little north of you in the Milwaukee area).  I don't know about you but the cold and dark is not my favorite.  But - we've made it through day 11!  We can do this!  Remember, you don't have to eat food you don't like, just keep on making paleo tacos if you have to :D .  

BTW...the food fantasies have begun in full. i oscillate between wanting to live on prana, totally disinterested in food, and plotting to break into the nearest ____________ (fill in type of restaurant) and eat ____________ (insert off-limits food here) until I have a seizure of some kind. 

:D Funny -  I haven't had any food fantasies yet - I hope mine are as entertaining as yours!

Yesterday was a doozy and one I don't want to relive :).  Yes I'm sick to death of compliant food....what tasted good in the beginning is now making my stomach cramp just thinking about it.  I was soooo tired and in a fog all day I can barely function and of course wow I'm a total B to everyone that even comes near me.  This is my first Whole 30 but I can already see the benefits so I'm sticking it out no matter what!

On to Day 12 and staying strong...we can do this!  After reading the day by day post in the blogs it looks like day 16 is the turning point so here's to 4 more days.  I'm just going to clean everything and prep for the weekend today.

Stay strong everyone, just think we've already done 11 whole days without sugar (to me that's success).

@ Kahaliti just keep with it, you can do it. I know that I have had a few nights where I wanted to hit the candy, but remind myself that I can do 30 days... Like Livin said, just eat what you can even if its the same thing for a few days... it will get better!

@Saara... I currently want to eat ALL of the food, everywhere... I dreamed of bbq chicken tender mac and cheese....

@Livin4Lish I have been taking it easy with working out just becasue I wasnt sure how I would feel, but had a good 3 mile run on Wed and was able to teach my 45 minute dance class without being tired... Hope the Chiro helps and you are able to get your 10 miler in :)

Day 11! Did I mention day 11? My last whole 30 I made it to day 12 and caved into cravings. I will not do that this time! I am looking at this being like the ultramarathons I have done... I know there are going to be rough patches, just need to mentally push through... If I can run for 24 hours, I can fix my food for 24 hours. I have started taking it one day at a time and keeping the big goal in mind!

Last night I made pork chops with ginger and pineapple.... and some roasted red potatoes with ghee, basil, and garlic.... yummy... and had some more of my cole slaw I made... I need to make sure I have the ingredients on hand to make that cole slaw and the Bora Bora Fire Balls.... cause they are the only things that I havent felt like I couldn't eat.

And the time change is a killer...I hate how it is getting dark when i leave work... I try to go out and get some sun during the day.. seems to make it better!

Have a great day everyone! Sending you all good vibes!!!

Yesterday was a doozy and one I don't want to relive :).  Yes I'm sick to death of compliant food....what tasted good in the beginning is now making my stomach cramp just thinking about it.  I was soooo tired and in a fog all day I can barely function and of course wow I'm a total B to everyone that even comes near me.  This is my first Whole 30 but I can already see the benefits so I'm sticking it out no matter what!

On to Day 12 and staying strong...we can do this!  After reading the day by day post in the blogs it looks like day 16 is the turning point so here's to 4 more days.  I'm just going to clean everything and prep for the weekend today.

Stay strong everyone, just think we've already done 11 whole days without sugar (to me that's success).

Hang in there!  and yes 11 days (10 for me) without sugar is a HUGE deal.... when you look at labels and see how it is in almost everything. I have some good days and bad days, but think part of that is just needing to find the right balance of  pre post workout meals, and getting in my starchy veggies.. the inclusion of white potatoes this time around has changed it for me... 

Here's to getting to day 16!  

I will say I haven't had any white potatoes at all and really don't miss them all that much.  Going to have some roasted tonight in with the other veg but I'm going to really make an effort to avoid them in the future.  Who knew parsnips were so yummy (and my family totally thought they were potatoes :)

Roasting up a bunch of acorn and butternut squash tonight.  Hoping for enough to make a soup as well for the week.

I'm glad I'm not the only one hitting that "kind of over it" phase. Despite the fact that I have a lunch of perfectly good compliant food packed, there's some little part of my brain that's wanting to go out for lunch. Even though none of the options around here are better than what I've packed. I know it's the inner two-year old having a meltdown about being denied things and that it will pass, but it sucks.

The stomach has felt better today and my energy seems pretty good. I need to come up with something yummy to make for next week to push through the food fatigue. Preferably something that won't break my already taxed grocery budget. ;-)

Hang in there, we're almost at the halfway mark! 

M

I'm glad I'm not the only one hitting that "kind of over it" phase. Despite the fact that I have a lunch of perfectly good compliant food packed, there's some little part of my brain that's wanting to go out for lunch. Even though none of the options around here are better than what I've packed. I know it's the inner two-year old having a meltdown about being denied things and that it will pass, but it sucks.

The stomach has felt better today and my energy seems pretty good. I need to come up with something yummy to make for next week to push through the food fatigue. Preferably something that won't break my already taxed grocery budget. ;-)

Hang in there, we're almost at the halfway mark! 

M

I looked at the Foodie website under the whole30 tab and they have tons of good stuff... I made the Cole Slaw with walnuts and raisins and it was pretty cheap (I bought a bag of shredded cabbage).  Last night I did prok chops with ginger and pineapple slices, and it wasnt too bad. Right now I am trying to cook things from my freezer... and I am totally "over it".... I know I will get through it, but man is my brain telling me to get something bad for me and feed the need for sugar!

I thought I'd share this text from my hubby (who is also on Day 12 today):

"Uggg. I don't know that I can make it through this whole 30. I am feeling very deprived today...chocolates, Mexican food, ice cream, drinks... I want it ALL!"

He usually sails through these things with no issues, losing obnoxious amounts of weight in the process. He's actually done one without me. So, for those of you who are struggling, you are not alone!

Quick post and I will come back and catch up on what you've all written soon:

I put a pork tenderloin in slow cooker for about 8-10 hours on low...with a little cumin, sumac, coriander, paprika...then I took it and wrapped it in lettuce/cabbage to make some 'tacos'. Add homemade guac (fresh cilantro, cumin, onion, lime juice, salt) and...(this surprised me) steamed rutabega...HOLY GUACAMOLE, Batman!!! That was yummy! So surprised! LOL

"Uggg. I don't know that I can make it through this whole 30. I am feeling very deprived today...chocolates, Mexican food, ice cream, drinks... I want it ALL!"

@mdraegerPNW tell your hubby I'm feeling his pain today :(.  It hit hard while driving around doing errands...I just wanted to drive in somewhere and eat.  Didn't matter where that's the sad part it all looks good, and jeeeze I want ice cream and I usually don't even want it when the kiddos have it for dessert.  

Oh well stayed on point today and ate compliant.  The stuff in the fridge is not looking any better but that's all there is.  Here's to getting through the weekend.  We can do this!

Mdraeger, thanks for sharing!! It makes me feel better that I'm not alone as an amateur, and that even experts feel the same! ;-) I forced myself to eat more today and am feeling like the fog is lifting a bit (although it seems like it's been a roller coaster for me)...tonight is rotisserie chicken with baked sweet potatoes cut into 1/4" slices and covered in almond and coconut flour and garlic/onion powder and chopped cashews, sautéed zucchini onion and garlic and a fresh pineapple!

I'm so proud or my husband. He is doing phenomenal with this lifestyle change - the first week was rough for him but he has had no symptoms or cravings since!! Makes me feel like a baby for whining! ;-)

Just reporting in for the morning....sleeping great at night, no crazy food dreams but really vivid good dreams :).  The downside I just got dressed and my clothes are feeling really tight.  The thing is I know my body feels so much better and I don't feel bloated, this is just so bizarre.  I checked the day by day thing and this was supposed to happen on day 8 or so and this is my day 13.  I guess I'm just a late bloomer.  Here's to staying strong for the weekend!

@sydneybr - how are you doing over there?

@kahaliti - yum! your dinner sounded good; thanks for the inspiration! :D

@nashville sugar addict, mdraeger, madsciencem - yes, i've officially arrived at the "over it" phase too. one of the reasons i've taken on this whole30 has been that i've seen just how much control the food i eat has over me, when i want it to be the reverse. eating has often been emotional (and such a social activity) to me; i know that what i could cook at home would be cheaper, better, and healthier, but oftentimes, i just want the 'junk' and the stimulation of being out. luckily, i have a few buddies here doing w30 as well, so we band together and cook and get our social fix. 

we did a family dinner out last night, and although it wasn't hard for me to order compliant food, it felt kind of mechanical, and i didn't enjoy it so much. i also had had a stressful day (blame it on the full moon? everyone was crazy yesterday), and i found myself bargaining with myself that i would comply to the whole30 in full, except that last night - and only last night - i'd allow myself stevia extract in my iced tea. the justifications were interesting, and i was concurrently relieved and somewhat disappointed when i pulled the bottle of stevia from my purse and realized it was...empty. (sigh...this must be a sign from the gods). thanks to that fluke, i am still on track. but i'm finding myself looking for the stimulation that sugar gives me; after dinner, i went to the grocery store and bought several bags of unsweetened dried fruit and ate some. realizing how deep my addiction to sugar goes, and recommitting myself to no cheats whatsoever. 

for now, i will try to eat regularly, drink A LOT more water, and shift my attention to the areas of my life that don't involve food. 

happy day 13, everyone, and good luck! 

Day 12 here and still on it!!!

Last night at the dance studio I had several of the parents ask me what I was doing because I look like I was losing weight and my skin and eyes were bright. The  another one of the parents this morning said that I was looking good :) Can I just tell you that it made my night?)

I told her what I was doing and see was really interested in it, so I sent her the link... maybe I have brought someone into the fold? I was big to stress it wasn't for weight loss I was doing this, but to "reset" my eating. Get off the sugar and the gluten type stuffs.... so we shall see

I made some chicken meatballs in some tomato sauce with broccoli. I have some packed for tonight, since I wont be home.

Keep it up over the weekend everyone!!!!! Doing great!!!!

It is *too* funny how we are all going through the same symptoms through each phase.  I am SO in the OVER IT phase too but the idea of giving up seems ridiculous because I think of the 100 small victories I have had in the past 12 days.  I can totally see how people quit at this stage because you are like, "okay, I get it.  I don't have to do it 2-3 more weeks, do I??"  I was down right ANGRY about sitting at home last night with my toddler driving me up the wall, with no pizza and wine to celebrate the end of the work week like usual.  I watched a little TV and just went to sleep.  It was nice to get rest but I guess I feel like this is isolating or punishing me...don't really want to go out to dinner/happy hour with friends like usual.  But I know I need to get over it.  I think it was @mdraegerPNW that said its our "inner two year old".  So true!  I worry though...on day 31 will I just go and binge on pizza and wine??

Omgsh stoneveggies, I've been thinking so much about what we will do when day 30 is over. Some days I can't wait to dive into a pizza, candy, chips, etc. anything I can get my hands on but other days I know it defeats the purpose and I think I'll have a guilty conscious now...my husband and I agree we are going to stick to a paleo diet for the most part but indulge every once in a while. Decisions decisions!! If I've dropped 6 lbs and a pant size in only 11 days (among all the other small victories)...what other accomplishments are ahead?! :-)

I love everyone's updates, and I can easily empathize with all of it.  My back is still not well, but better, and along with it, I feel so flipping bloated.  I don't like it, I thought I'd be feeling better in the gut by now.  That being said, I do seem to be regaining some energy, and that makes me happy.  I had mentioned a 10 mile walk tomorrow - that ain't happening, my back will not allow that.  I have a pot roast in the slow cooker right now, and I'm looking forward to that yummy dinner!  I keep thinking, "are we there yet?!" 

Half way is in sight!

Woof!! I hate weekends on the whole30! Everywhere I turn there is a non-compliant craving staring me dead in the face! Even my husband is having a hard time today and boy, does he have will power!! Hang in there guys!!

On a positive note -- my cuisinart mini prep plus and my spiralizer arrived - which means paleo ranch and zoodles will be taking our meals to a new level! :-)

Hi everyone!

The hubby appreciated everyone's support. :-D We staved off cravings by getting some nice steaks for dinner (WF's perfect steak recipe is exactly what the name promises. Yum!) and roasted some Brussels sprouts with bacon. Definitely made the evening better.

I did my grocery shopping today and I swear every kind of snack food was calling my name. But I put my head down and focused on my list. I've got a nice mix of old favorites and a couple of new recipes to try. I'm hoping that will help week three go more smoothly.

For those who are wondering what happens at day 31, I can only speak for myself, but I've never had the urge to binge on junk. Odds are, you'll be feeling pretty good and all of the things that look irresistible right now aren't going to seem worth it. You owe it to yourself to do a full reintroduction process, so you can see how the various food groups effect you. I'm sure there's an official article on it, but I typically start with the thing I've missed most and then go from there.

But if it makes life easier now, go ahead and lie to your inner two year old (Sure honey, you can have all the pizza in just a 17 more days... ) ;-P

Archived