Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

Hello to 10/27 Starters! Started Monday but just joined the forum today looking for support. Feeling weak and light headed during my work-outs and wondered if anyone had recommendations. Eating plenty drinking lots of water. Not sure what I might be missing.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello to 10/27 Starters! Started Monday but just joined the forum today looking for support. Feeling weak and light headed during my work-outs and wondered if anyone had recommendations. Eating plenty drinking lots of water. Not sure what I might be missing.

@Livin4Lish - Keep going! You're doing great!! I always see all of these things as tests; you will overcome them all! You are strong enough to do it!

@ Stoneveggie - Thanks for the Plan to Eat recommendation; I haven't signed up, but I probably will, because it it looks like a REALLY great company!

Days 1 and 2 were a frittata and a chicken curry with cauliflower rice and chopped cilantro. 3 and 4 were turkish chopped salad and zucchini noodles with meat sauce (This woman is awesome - http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/05/27/basic-zucchini-noodles/ ). I picked up a zoodle maker for $8 at Bargain Hunt...SCORE! 

Was low energy on day 2, but have felt pretty good yesterday and today. Drinking lots of coconut water, and although I'm not a coffee drinker normally, I have had turkish coffee with cardamom and coconut cream for the past two days. Remember to pamper your bodies during this time with some good yoga and/or bodywork; I'm going to get a few massages while I'm on this program. If you have a massage school on your area, look them up and see if they have a student clinic; I've always had really positive experiences with the students as they are very open, present, and wanting to learn and practice. And they are affordable. 

Good luck, everyone!! :D

Saara and Livin4Lish - Plan to Eat is an online recipe generator, meal planner, and auto-shopping list maker.  As I mentioned, I have already made friends with 4 people who have recipes tagged "Whole30" and so now I have about

*****200 Whole30 compliant recipes*********

at my finger tips!  I click which recipe I want, select a day to cook it, and a shopping list is populated for the week.  Its pretty darn amazing.  I have a toddler so I need to get planning and shopping list done in a snap.  I usually just sift through the recipes really quickly and grab one chicken, one fish, one venison, etc.  And I run through the grocery and check off items from my grocery list from my phone.  I asked a question about using bone broth on another thread, and moderator Tom suggested a golden cauliflower soup recipe from his blog.  Well low and behold, it was already posted to my "friends" recipe box so I just saved it to mine---done!  When you find a new recipe on a website, you can just copy-and-paste the url into the Plan to Eat site and it populates the recipe for you.  Again, just so easy and awesome.  I swear I am not getting any kickbacks---just a big fan of the service :)  Been using it for over a year now and it has really made the cooking side of this so seamless.

Stone - Can you tell me more about Plan to Eat??  Where do I find it? It sounds like a great resource.

Hi, I just posted details to this thread...sorry I'm not up on how to "tag" people here yet.

Guys~~ My Plan to Eat username is sstone160, so if you sign up, you can request to friend me to share recipes.  I am not sure if you can see friends-of-friends...I am learning this feature right along with you....I only realized I could do this 2 days ago!

OK, yes, I have been cranky, and not feeling well, but here's an observation I haven't seen anyone else mention.  I haven't really been restricting calories, and have kept my water consumption about the same as always. I have noticed that I'm gettin up like three times during the night to pee!  If this extra weight I'm carrying has so much to do with water retention, I will be happy to maintain this lifestyle forever.  And you know, come to think of it, my knees are feeling a little better (especially since the cold seems to have moved from achy to stuffy).

This happens to me everytime I eat consistently paleo for a week or two (this is my first strict whole30) and it IS from water retention!  The pounds just melt off of me and I am peeing like crazy.  From what I can tell, grains make me very bloated. Last November I lost 14pounds in 2 weeks and I am not a dr but I believed it was from releasing all that bloat.  Yuck!  I know, I know, it's not about the weight.  Don't weigh yourself.  I know I know.  I wont :) But to me it's just so cool to consider the science, the adjustments, that are amazing bodies are going through.  It really makes me buzz and I just hope I can keep it up this time to make this my lifestyle for good :)

Noticed I was easily annoyed after being at work for only a little while this morning................. :o

Wondering if it had anything to do with my post workout snack/meal of:

• Cashew Cookie  Larabar
  • Banana
  • Cashews

I ate these before my actual breakfast. I think I balanced the protein & sugar in the PWO food......but just wondering if it affected my mood. Thoughts anyone?

Check the "For Athletes" forum.  I was just there yesterday reading up on pre and post workout meals.  Turns out I was doing it all wrong.  From what I can gather, ideally:

-Preworkout - an egg or two (combo of protein, fat, little carbs)

-Postworkout - within 15-30 min - protein, no fat, carbs like sweet potato or winter squash only if needed.  Plain chicken breast or tuna was suggested

-Meal - within 1-1.5 hr after workout - pile it on - a normal whole30 meal.

The moderator told me that fruit should really be minimal, maybe a serving a day.  And a lara bar is a big fruit serving, so as Livin4Lish said, focus more on protein than sweet.  The above suggestions will be really hard for me to get used to...I dont like to eat at all before or after a workout.  But I am going to try :)

Did not sleep well last night, by that could have been some other factors (husband was out all night so no one to cuddle with). Had some body aches last night so I used a heating pad to alleviate them. Day 2 here we go!

Sidney, Are you sleeping better? I started Monday and have not slept much since. Was sleeping fine prior to. Got on here tonight specifically looking for sleep problems.

Thanks everyone for the tips/encouragement!! He seems to be doing much better today but I will continue to keep a close eye! :-)

I've been overwhelmingly creative with this whole30 because I'm terrified of getting bored and giving up. For example, I made zucchini fritters this morning as part of our breakfast and boneless spicy chicken bites for dinner. - both of which called for quite a bit of ingredients and instructions. So.many.dishes. Gah!! I'm having fun though! :-)

Feeling good today and retiring for bed now! Night all!

Good morning all Day 3 in the books for me, starting on Day 4. 

So I am still a bit tired, but cheered myself up with hardboiled eggs and guac with some ghee. it was quite good, had it with some steamed broccoli. I really enjoyed it this morning.

Last night I was going to make carnitas, but the pork was so expensive at the store, so I opted for some beef and cooked it the same way. Just have to crisp it up in the oven and viola, I have something else other than chicken for a few days. I used this recipe from mark's Daily Apple. 

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/crispy-carnitas/#axzz2ajyiRDIF

I made the real deal carnitas before and they were a hit for everyone. My husband ate some of it last night and said it was really good... I think i am going to divide and freeze the beef, so I have something for later on. 

My other goal for the weekend is to make these: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/03/05/bora-bora-fireballs/

I made them last year for a family holiday party and they were a huge hit!!! I also have some almond butter and going to use that to make the sunshine sauce to go with it. I havent gotten around to getting sunbutter yet and I am trying to limit my nut/seed butters... TOO MUCH TEMPTATION!

Welcome to those folks who joined the thread and hope everyone is doing well on Halloween!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!!! 

Resist the candy today!!!! 

Well, I've made it to Day 5. Sometimes I'm wondering if I'm doing it all right. I haven't been super crabby, tired, or irritable. I have had a hard them sleeping the whole night though.

Oh thing I have noticed, is in being true to Whole30, I've notice how often I reach for snacks, tastes, "just a bite" of whatever is around me. I've been able to stop, evaluate, and move away, but "wow!", I've been doing that a lot!!!

On to Day 5! We've got this!! NO sneaking candy from the kids bags tonight, and here's to hoping I FINALLY get a while nights sleep!!

Well, I've made it to Day 5. Sometimes I'm wondering if I'm doing it all right. I haven't been super crabby, tired, or irritable. I have had a hard them sleeping the whole night though.

Oh thing I have noticed, is in being true to Whole30, I've notice how often I reach for snacks, tastes, "just a bite" of whatever is around me. I've been able to stop, evaluate, and move away, but "wow!", I've been doing that a lot!!!

On to Day 5! We've got this!! NO sneaking candy from the kids bags tonight, and here's to hoping I FINALLY get a while nights sleep!!

Oh yes, I did have a hard time sleeping last night... not bad just very restless during the early morning hours... 

No CANDY is the motto!

And I hear you on the "just a bite". I was warming up some ziti for my husband and almost licked the fork as I was stirring it... I wasnt hungey, just out of habit... but I caught myself and thought "Hmmm have to watch out for that!!!" its funny how little things like that add up over time....

Day Five!  I was laughing with my husband this morning as we were talking about this Whole 30 - he says this is a record for me - consistency isn't my strong point :P .  I mad chicken fajitas last night with a Whole 30 seasoning/marinade, and nobody seemed to notice a difference in my house.  They were perhaps a bit spicier, but my kids are good with spice.  Theirs, of course, were served on tortillas, I put mine over a bed of mixed greens, and topped with guac. Very yummy!  

I'm still battling this cold, but feel way better today - although I'm very tired because I kept waking with irritating coughing fits.  I also am feeling less crabby than before, so that's a good thing.  I really think I could make this my lifestyle!

Oh yeah, I have a 10 year old boy who is ADHD. We have never had him officially diagnosed, but it's pretty evident to my husand and I and most of his educators.  We have resisted medication.  I think, in light of what I know about paleo now, I am going to seek counseling for our family.  I would like to change his diet for his sake, but I don't want him to think I'm punishing him by taking away the sugar.  I don't think his brain could process that I'm rewarding him by taking away the sugar all on its own - outside intervention is necessary!

Sooooooooo.....last night I hit up against one of my biggest struggles: eating as I'm going to bed. This usually happens when I've fallen asleep in my chair, then wake up, then go to the fridge! Last night's food was a palm-size serving of chicken salad. I wonder if I'm "sleep eating"? I would add that what I ate was plan-compliant :D .

Thoughts anyone? Does this happen to any of y'all?

Day 5 – woo hoo! For those of you who were feeling crabby yesterday, you're in the "Kill All The Things" part of the timeline, so you're right on schedule.  ;)

Yesterday went pretty smoothly for me, I wasn't as tired or cranky as I expected. I've been feeling a little "cravy" as we head into the weekend, especially with today being Halloween, but I keep repeating to myself that nothing I want is going to disappear 25 days from now. It's crazy how much habits govern our lives. I'm reading a book about the power of habits on human behavior, so I think that's really shining a spotlight on things.

I'm going to channel my desire to go out for happy hour after work into shopping for new running shoes instead. (I figure the store won't be crowded tonight with everyone out getting their spooky on!) 

Have a great weekend everyone!

I made it through day 4 even with it being Halloween. I was a little sad, but had read the post on the Whole 30 FB page about Halloween. Helped save my day. Today is actually going to be one of my biggest struggles, my brother is getting married this evening. I have food prepared and am going to pack it, but i know it is going to be hard.

Congrats to all of you guys who made it through their day 5! Enjoy you weekends!

Two tough temptations last night: (1) trick or treating with a 2 year old and our neighbor friends. Our daughter is too young to even know what candy is but my husband insisted that she take some so he could eat it, just a handfull of pieces total but he kept trying to make me share it with him.  He is so clueless about why I am doing this.  He is not much for discipline when it comes to eating.  and (2) ...probably the hardest of all...our friends were solo-cupping it around the block and we had a little campfire afterward.  So they are all enjoying a nice beer by the fire and I have to say that was way harder than the candy.  I have relied on wine to relax every Friday night for the last 10 years.  It was hard, but I have to admit, it wasn't as bad as I imagined!  I'm not so scared of temptations now.

I made it through day 4 even with it being Halloween. I was a little sad, but had read the post on the Whole 30 FB page about Halloween. Helped save my day. Today is actually going to be one of my biggest struggles, my brother is getting married this evening. I have food prepared and am going to pack it, but i know it is going to be hard.

Congrats to all of you guys who made it through their day 5! Enjoy you weekends!

Good luck at the wedding!  You do have a tough day ahead of you, but just remember: it's just food.  Food that would not make you feel good except for the 3 minutes that you are eating it.  That thought has been helping me.  Good luck and dance the night away!!!

Yesterday was T-O-U-G-H!!! I have been doing so well about going to bed early with my daughter that those late night munchies haven't been able to get me but last night was another story. My husband's birthday happens to fall on Halloween and so the best we could do to celebrate was buy $3 chipotle chicken salads and only add salsa and guac and then I put together banana and sugar free almond butter (trader joes) sandwiches and stuck some happy birthday candles as his "cake" lol - definitely no cupcake but it worked!

The hardest thing was the bowl of leftover candy that was staring both of us straight in the face while we were watching our movie rental late at night after my daughter went to sleep. We contemplated eating "just one piece" for the sake of my husband birthday and it would be our secret. We even picked our favorite piece and held it on the couch but I kept stalling opening it and eventually said, "hell no! We've come this far and I'm not doing it!" And we sadly put it back before retiring for the night at 1:30am. Stomach was growling but we held strong and I'm pretty proud. Pathetic, I know! But I found it funny enough to share!

Bring on day 6 yo!! :-)

Seems like a lot of similar themes last night, it was a tough one.  It was just my youngest and myself home last night watching movies.  I don't usually watch much of any TV, so I guess my old reflexes of having to eat something while staring at the TV kicked in.  I did not give in, but it was the first day I felt hungry.

Yesterday I decided to add a little "pre-breakfast snack" to my day.  I wake up pretty early, and usually wait too long to eat breakfast.  This morning it was a hard boiled egg with guac and a banana.  It seems like the banana helped kick me in gear for my jog with the dogs.

So here we are, day six!  Yay! 

Sooooooooo.....last night I hit up against one of my biggest struggles: eating as I'm going to bed. This usually happens when I've fallen asleep in my chair, then wake up, then go to the fridge! Last night's food was a palm-size serving of chicken salad. I wonder if I'm "sleep eating"? I would add that what I ate was plan-compliant :D .

Thoughts anyone? Does this happen to any of y'all?

I used to do this all the time.  I would sit on the couch, watch tv, fall asleep, wake up and head to the kitchen for my evening supplements, AND some sort of carby crap!  I have gotten out of this habit for the most part, and now with this Whole 30, I have really been going to bed earlier, and I've read other's posts about doing the same,  A lot fewer temptations in the bedroom, and the ones that are there are Whole 30 compliant :D

Another one in the "Man, last night was tough!" camp. Having Halloween be on a Friday night made it really hard to be on the Whole30. I decided to make a really yummy dinner to keep from feeling too deprived: Nom Nom Paleo's Cracklin' Chicken with Well Fed2's Coconut Cauliflower Rice and Casablanca Carrots. It was amazing and did keep things from feeling too pathetic.

Now it's time to replenish supplies for the week. Looking forward to that shopping cart full of vegetables. It always makes me feel like a rock star. Have a great weekend, everybody!

M

Check the "For Athletes" forum.  I was just there yesterday reading up on pre and post workout meals.  Turns out I was doing it all wrong.  From what I can gather, ideally:

-Preworkout - an egg or two (combo of protein, fat, little carbs)

-Postworkout - within 15-30 min - protein, no fat, carbs like sweet potato or winter squash only if needed.  Plain chicken breast or tuna was suggested

-Meal - within 1-1.5 hr after workout - pile it on - a normal whole30 meal.

The moderator told me that fruit should really be minimal, maybe a serving a day.  And a lara bar is a big fruit serving, so as Livin4Lish said, focus more on protein than sweet.  The above suggestions will be really hard for me to get used to...I dont like to eat at all before or after a workout.  But I am going to try :)

Thanks Stoneveggies! I saw the info you refer to, but looks like I got it wrong this time. I don't eat before my swim workout because I take Synthroid (for the thyroid) and I have to wait 30 mins after I take it. And my swim workout is early morns (6am or 7am), so I get up with just enough time to get there by start time. No way I'm getting up any earlier, just for the sake of eating. I just usually eat my meal after my workout, within an hour/hour & half. I know that's not what W30 recommends, but it's the best I can do right now. I will try to practice the after-workout recommendations; it's just that there's a lot of eating-habit changes this 1st week, so this post w/o one will have to wait a bit. And I'll try to find the "For Athletes" forum. Thoughts, anyone, on POST & PRE workout food?

Archived