Confession: I hate eggs! :-(

Kahaliti

Help!! I hate eggs! I've tried all kinds - hard boiled, scrambled, over-easy, etc. and I hate them so much that they literally make me gag. I hate myself for this but I can't help it - I've always hated them.

Can I still do whole30 without them? If not, How can I get creative and get them into my diet?

Thanks!! :-)

I assume you are talking about your first meal of the day?

The western culture seems to think that only certain foods are acceptable for this meal.  Once you cut out grains, eggs are about the only thing left, right?

No, you do not need to eat any eggs on the Whole30.  Make your first meal just like the others.  You can eat anything.  Steak, broccoli and olives works and tastes just as well for your first meal as it does for you third.  :)  Best wishes to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of eggs either but I will tolerate them.  My preferred breakfast protein of choice is prosciutto but that gets rather expensive to eat every day.  I've learned to eat a few things I don't particularly like on Whole30 due to their benefits rather than their taste/texture.

I assume you are talking about your first meal of the day?

The western culture seems to think that only certain foods are acceptable for this meal.  Once you cut out grains, eggs are about the only thing left, right?

No, you do not need to eat any eggs on the Whole30.  Make your first meal just like the others.  You can eat anything.  Steak, broccoli and olives works and tastes just as well for your first meal as it does for you third.   :)  Best wishes to you.

You can have homemade beef vegetable soup for breakfast.  Make individual servings and even take it to work...unless the microwave scent would upset your co-workers.   How about sugar free homemade smoked fish or other proteins?   We have a smoker that looks like an army green bank safe, making some smoked fish right now.   It's excellent for breakfast.

Thanks for the encouragement - I've never felt like that before. I was soooooo extremely crabby, negative and impatient yesterday! Holy cow. My brother came over for dinner and told me I looked sickly (tired, crabby, weight-loss) so I caved and weighed myself. 144 to 138 - I've dropped 6 lbs in just 11 days. Not sure if that's healthy but I'm assuming it's from lack of carbs as I have gone from conventional eating to whole30 and I was a carb girl!! The hardest part about making that jump is simply learning how to meal plan, grocery shop and cook differently...all with a toddler on my hip. It can be a bit overwhelming at times! But I made it through the night thanks to my husband! On to day 12!!! Let's do this! :-)

Today is day 16 for me.  I'm not a huge fan of eggs, either, but I can eat them (and enjoy them) for breakfast when I change the texture with carmelized onions and sausage.  I can also do egg salad with homemade mayo, but that's a bit more iffy.  But that's about the only way I do eggs...instead, I try to keep other proteins in the refrigerator (chicken, ground beef, sausage, pork tenderloin, beef tenderloin, etc) and if it's a "can't handle eggs" morning, I just use one of those, find some kind of mild vegetable and maybe a bit of fruit and breakfast is done.

Hi! I would recommend making a sort of pasta sauce if you'd like to mix some eggs into what you would eat. I make some dishes with a TONNN of veggies all chopped up (peppers, onions, carrots, etc) and then add some meat (the best with this dish would be mixed seafood) and then add in a sauce jar. I find compliant sauces at Wegmans, trader joes, and Whole Foods. Once everything is starting to simmer down, I crack 2 or 3 eggs into the pan, while it is still HOT, and mix like crazy. It becomes a different kind of sorta Thai dish. Then I like to roast some squash, delicata, acorn, or spaghetti. 

I swear it sounds slightly gross...but the yolk makes the sauce super creamy and rich! I LOVEEEE it :)

I also second the idea that we oftentimes believe that eggs are the only appropriate breakfast. Most of the time I eat whatever I have leftover...lately it has been a massive bean-less chili. Food is food regardless of when you eat it! :))

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Eggs sometimes make me gaggy too.  I find scrambled to work better than fried.   But generally I just avoid them.  Compliant meats, leftovers, stuff like that works just fine for me, once I got used to the weird faces my husband was making at my breakfast plate.  He'll get over it.

• 4 weeks later...

I love eggs, but for some reason I can rarely eat them in the morning.  I don't know why, but most days I just don't want them first thing (at least not paleo style, I love eggs if they are on a sandwhich but obviously that is not allowed).  However, I find by lunch time they become much more appealing.  Have you tried them at different times of day? 

It could be the type of eggs you eat. Store eggs taste awful! Store eggs make me belch and they sour on my stomach. I hardly ever ate eggs until I went Primal. Now I eat eggs almost daily. I eat yard eggs from chickens that are fed a soy free, non-gmo feed. Then I went and got my own and they taste even better!

Try some yard eggs. You might like them better than the store eggs. Even organic store eggs don't compare to fresh yard eggs.

From a friend whose life has been transformed by the Whole 30 and the paleo lifestyle in general.  I asked him the same question just because I'm going to get tired of eggs.  Although they include eggs, I've found that there's a sweet potato quiche recipe on Pinterest that tastes much more like sweet potato than anything else.

·         Crumbled bulk sausage tossed with cubed sweet potatoes and onions (served like corned beef hash).   Robbi came up with this.  You can try a fried egg on top of it.  Technically, even the fresh made breakfast sausage at Whole Foods has added sugar, but you can buy ground pork and some herbs to make your own breakfast sausage. 

·         Eggless omelet -  Toss the meat, diced asparagus, onions, peppers and zucchini in the pan with a little olive oil.

·         Mediterranean Egg Bowl – Spinach, sundried tomatoes, pesto and a fried egg (I originally did this by taking the Mediterranean Egg white sandwich from Panera and ordered it with “no bread, no cheese, extra spinach in a bowl”

·         Sausage Patties and Fried Apples – you sauté the apples in ghee or fat from the sausage with spices only.

·         Pear/Berry Crisp (I think that’s in Against All Grain) – you might find that too sweet or too close to cheating during the first 30 days…it’s really more like a dessert

·         The Whole 30 folks suggest you don’t limit yourself to breakfast food.   I did eat my share of spinach salad for breakfast during my initial phase.

I struggle HARD with breakfast. It's not just the egg thing, but having savory food for breakfast really throws me off. I'm so used to sweet stuff - cereals, bagels, biscuits, etc. I'm trying though! Would it be okay to add fruit in at breakfast? I think that may help me.

I struggle HARD with breakfast. It's not just the egg thing, but having savory food for breakfast really throws me off. I'm so used to sweet stuff - cereals, bagels, biscuits, etc. I'm trying though! Would it be okay to add fruit in at breakfast? I think that may help me.

If you want to break the sweet stuff in the morning cycle the best way to do that is to starve the sugar dragon. So adding fruit to your first meal will probably make it harder in the long run. Make a template meal of protein, fat, and vegetables...eat as much as you can within an hour of waking...eat the rest when you feel hungry/not turned off by it. Keep doing this and eventually you will be eating a full breakfast. Almost 2 years into a Paleo/Whole30 lifestyle for me and I almost never want anything sweet in the morning (nor have I for a long time). Definitely didn't start out that way. Trust the journey and the process.

Archived