Eggs fail

Alexian28

I love using coconut oil as my fat for pans but I cannot seem to make eggs that don't stick like crazy when I'm using coconut oil vs the spray can junk.  Am I cooking on too high a heat? Should I just break down and buy an expensive ceramic egg pan?  We've needed a new egg pan anyway since our last one got destroyed; I was hoping to wait awhile longer to buy one though.

• Administrators

I find that eggs stick to one of my frying pans like crazy when I use coconut oil.  In my ceramic coated pan they don't stick at all.  In my other frying pan I tend to use lard instead of coconut to prevent sticking.

Depends on the pan you use. I use a well seasoned cast iron skillet. I let it heat up first, then add the fat (usually CO, sometimes ghee), and then add the eggs. I use a flexible spatula like this and they never seem to stick. I did however break two of my three yolks when frying this morning. That was a sad egg fail!

So the topic egg fail and thought someone had a bad egg moment like me this morning - was making poached eggs and water had boiled, dropped first egg in nicely only to follow it by cracking a rotten egg into the pot and had to start all over again!! New rule - crack eggs into a glass first! #eggfail

Y'all make me feel better :-)  I have anodized calphalon cookware  that is great at releasing food when it's cooked, not so much with eggs unless you want them over-medium.  I figured out the trick this morning though!  Normally I add just enough coconut oil to coat the bottom of the pan after the oil is heated and I rock the pan all around.  I added about twice as much (not really sure since I don't measure) and voila!  Very little sticking.  Huzzah!

Archived