Egg safety

Sharon Simpson Thumann

I keep my eggs on the counter at all times. They work nicely for impromptu mayo and act better when you cook with them and I have never had an issue. I usually have organic eggs, but have never had a problem with any of them. The acid in your lemon juice works to kill the bacteria in the egg. If you are concerned, you can just let the lemon juice sit with the egg for about 30 min and you should be fine.

Hope that helps!

Yesterday at the farmers market, the egg vendor shared the secret to finding out if the egg is still good. Place the whole egg (intact with shell) in a glass of water, if it floats it is DOA, don't use. I suspended, undecided- not on top, not on bottom, then use immediately, if the egg stays on the bottom still good. I haven't tried it but sounds kinda 'sciency'.

I keep my eggs on the counter at all times. They work nicely for impromptu mayo and act better when you cook with them and I have never had an issue. I usually have organic eggs, but have never had a problem with any of them. The acid in your lemon juice works to kill the bacteria in the egg. If you are concerned, you can just let the lemon juice sit with the egg for about 30 min and you should be fine.

Hope that helps!

I've always kept my eggs on the counter too. Thought I'd missed something along the way and was the only person who does this after initially reading this post... but I've never had issues with my eggs, either.

It also kind of depends on where you get your eggs. We also keep our eggs on the counter, but ours come out of our chickens in the backyard, so I know they are fresh. Plus, if an egg is unwashed, it'll remain fresher because there is a 'bloom' coating on the egg that seals it better from outside air (the enemy of a fresh egg). Eggs from grocery stores or most farmers markets (in the US) have been washed (sometimes with bleach!), so the bloom is long gone.

Additionally, grocery store eggs can be up to a month old before they even hit the shelves, so the general recommendation is refrigeration so that they'll last longer.

9 hours on the counter is probably fine for something you'll eat right away, but if you make mayo out if it, it may not last as long as you'd like. Again, this will depend on the egg, it's source and how it was treated/cared for...

Archived