Help - I need energy - Day 11

vgonz13

Sorry you had a bad night's sleep.  It's tricky to make up for that the next day.

Have you eaten your first meal of the day yet? That would be my first suggestion to get a good meal template based meal in, followed by your coffee or tea.  Have your other meals today also fit the template. 

Have lots of water today too: the recommendation around here is 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

If there's any way to get a short nap in later on today (e.g., even if it means going out to your car for a bit), that would be another suggestion.  At the very least, be gentle with yourself today.

Do what you can later today to get a good night's sleep tonight. Stop eating 2-3 hours before bed. No screens (e.g., TV, smartphones, tablets, computers) at least an hour before bed. Sleep in a cool dark comfortable room that is quiet with no light sources. If mind chatter was keeping you up last night, do a "brain dump" before bed tonight: write down all the things on your mind to empty out your head before bed.

Thank you for your prompt response. I had my first meal. No coffee yet, although I love it very much I have been cutting it since I can't have it with creamer and Splenda. I usually wait until I get to work to get my first cup. I usually drink a lot of water. I keep a liter with me and refill it a few times during the day.

I feel as if I NEED a redbull or energy drink to keep me going. Maybe it's a psychological response of a tired brain? Or my body is asking for a pick me up. Could it be anything else?

Thank you again for your help.

It could be any number of things. If coffee drinking, Red Bull, or energy drinks were strong habits for you before your Whole30, you might be going through some withdrawal.  Having not slept well last night, that is likely a huge contributor to how you're feeling. 

Looking forward to that ZING! At least today, I haven't been feeling that bad these days just today is horrible. The sleepless night didn't help. But that fact that I want the redbull and can't have it I think is what the main problem is.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried coffee with 1-2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil blended in? I do that and I do not even miss cream and sugar. I use an immersion blender (hand blender) to emulsify the oil. It turns into a creamy coffee when blended. It's similar to "bulletproof coffee." But still W30/paleo.

You just have to be sure to drink it while the coffee is above 76 degrees. Otherwise the oil starts to re-congeal.

Archived