Starting second Whole 30 tomorrow (Nov 1) & vegetable issue...

cjknick

Folks, I'm starting my second Whole30 tomorrow even though Thanksgiving is this month.  My (adult) kids will be going to their dads so it's a non-issue for me.

I completed my first Whole30 in May and promptly went on a trip and directly into eating, drinking and carrying on... STUPID me. This time I will do reintroductions as the It All Begins with Food suggests. I'm just sick of feeling like crap and it's time to take charge.

Based on my first experience I really struggle with vegetables.  I've never really liked them much. I did manage with my first Whole30 ok but I ate alot of the same vegetables and a ton of salads. Now that it's getting colder, salads just aren't real appealing so I need to change that up a bit.  My vegetable intake consists of golden beets, celery, cucumbers, broccoli, yams, green beans, carrots, tomatoes, jicama and compliant pickles. I can eat raw vegetables much easier than cooked ones but it's getting colder and I fear cold foods won't satisfy me.  My preferred method of cooking is roasting with seasonings/spices.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might learn to like a larger variety of vegetables?  And did I mention I'm not the best cook?  :huh:

For the record, I recently tried roasting brussels sprouts coated with olive oil and spices and they were meh, ok, but I really had to give myself a pep talk to eat a decent portion and ended up not eating all that I cooked. I had such high hopes! lol.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Go me!   :P

Cindy in Boise 

For the record, I recently tried roasting brussels sprouts coated with olive oil and spices and they were meh, ok, but I really had to give myself a pep talk to eat a decent portion and ended up not eating all that I cooked. I had such high hopes! lol.

Toss them with salt/pepper, and finely diced garlic cloves and a shallot --- roast 'til they start to get a little brown and crispy on the tips, give 'em a turn on the sheet about halfway through.

• Moderators

Get a cast iron skillet with a cast iron lid and then roast your vegetables with chicken, sausage, etc. following my Skillet Roasted approach. Here is a sample recipe. All veggies taste better when roasted with chicken thighs or some other fatty meat that gives off juice. I like bratwurst, lamb chops, etc with almost any veggie. Seriously this is an easy way to make veggies taste great.

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/08/skillet-roasted-chicken-thighs-eggplant-yellow-pepper-broccoli-carrots-and-tomatoes/

Personally I'm a huge veggie lover! I roast most of mine, including broccoli and cauliflower, which my husband was weirded out by at first, but now loves it! Try dipping it in some homemade Mayo? The clothes make the girl website has some great sauces you can use for these purposes. Good luck!

I roast pumpkin, carrots, parsnips and sweet potato in garlic salt, rosemary and duck fat. Deeeelish! Olive oil works too but not as tasty.

Cauliflower mash is also a fave. Just steam half a head until soft then puree with a stick blender and some ghee and salt and pepper.

Archived