How do you store half an avocado?

b2basics

Has anyone had success with saving half an avocado?  I usually do not want to eat a whole avocado with a meal, so I need to save half. But even if I try to eat it later in the day, it's already turned brown and gross. :(   My method so far has been dropping some lemon juice on the unsed half, covering in plastic wrap and putting it in a sealed container in the fridge.  Anyone have any ideas or any success at this?!  Avocados are not cheap and I'm basically throwing away half an avocado each time I eat one!

thanks in advance

• Moderators

I have a coworker who had brought homemade guacamole to work for her lunch, and noticed she'd put the avo pit in with the guac. I asked about it, and she said putting the pit back in, even after the avo is mashed up and mixed with other stuff, helped keep it from going brown. I tried it once and didn't notice any particular difference -- but I go a little heavy on the lime juice in my guac anyway, so it doesn't brown that fast in general. But it might be worth trying.

I store mine face-down in a container. It still gets a little brown though. In a pinch, you could just thinly slice off the part that has browned to reveal fresh avocado. I just let mine brown though and eat it the next day anyway - I don't notice a difference in the taste. :)

Rub olive oil on the exposed parts, it'll protect it from the air. You can also use the oil to stick plastic wrap really close to it. The less air the better. 

If keeping it as a whole half doesn't work for you, try making guac with it and putting oil on the top.

I usually just eat the whole thing :)

usually I just put the half with the pit in a baggie.  It doesn't get too brown if it's just a day.  You could also put it face down in a tupperware with a bit of water in it.  The water will keep air from getting to the flesh of the avocado.

Archived