Headaches + dizzy, woozy and feeling "not here"

It is day #5.  Would have been day #12 but I had some wine last weekend, otherwise all food compliant.

I expected headaches but I have had a headache every day.  From mild to pretty bad.  In addition I am dizzy, woozy, light headed and have that "not here" feeling if you know what I mean.

I do have chronic migraines, I have been dairy free for some time, gluten free (celiac) for 15 years and was strict paleo for 6 months and don't remember this happening.

It is freaking me out a bit.  The headache that never ends?  Hope it ends soon as I am taking migraine meds otherwise it keeps getting worse.  Kind of defeats the purpose of a Whole 30 to see if it helps the headaches.

I added a sweet potato daily, eating more and making sure I am getting a good amount of protein, fat and veggies.

The rest?  The dizzy, woozy, light headed and general feeling of not being "here" Is this normal?  Anyone else experience this?  It is starting to freak me out a bit.

• Moderators

It's definitely not normal to feel that way. You could try posting some details of what you're eating, how much water you're drinking, how your sleep has been, and any exercise you're doing to see if anyone has any suggestions, but if it continues, I think you might want to consult your doctor. 

I know exactly what you mean!  I felt like that during my first week, completely woozy, feeling like my brain wasn't functioning, dizzy, shaky...  I added more starchy approved foods (potatoes, fruits) and ate more, which helped a little.  The out-of-it feeling went away after week 2, but I struggled with lethargy for the whole 30 days.

Thanks Shannon and Newbie.

I am thinking it is a vestibular migraine.  I recall feeling this way a few years back.  Doc concluded vestibular migraine.  I get all of the other types so why not this kind too?  Triggered by what this time?  Who knows.  I took some meds which is so not "whole 30" but unavoidable.  I felt better as the day went on and then WHAM woke up with a banger of a migraine this morning.  All the rest of the crud that goes along, shaky, dizzy and nauseous. I have no idea if this is related to whole 30 or just a random coincidence.  Migraines have been life long for me.  They come and go with seemingly no rhyme or reason.  I was hopeful that a further purifying of my diet would help reduce them but so far, almost 2 weeks in?  Worse than ever.  :angry:

Newbie - thanks for letting me know you had a similar experience.  What did you do after the 30 days?  Did it get better? 

I have done Paleo for a long time and was a modified Paleo before this so I am surprised that I am having such a hard time physically.  I just didn't have to make that many adjustments.  When I was strict Paleo for 6 months I never felt better.  13/6 days in to this? I've never felt worse. 

Hi Leahcarn it is a few things:

• Red Wine ;)
  • Paleo "treats" now and then
  • dark chocolate
  • a little dairy here and there (but not much) I used butter vs ghee
  • less strict about things like a hair of sugar in bacon
  • I do use sweeteners like maple syrup, coconut palm sugar or honey now and then
  • I probably snack a bit more here and there

I am not sure how truly "paleo" this may or may not make me but I sure felt fantastic for the 6 months or so I did this.

Would love to hear if you have done it and what it means for you too.

Sounds like by cutting out snacks and sweeteners you have lost a lot of calories, have you replaced them with bigger meals?

I did a low fodmap whole45 (my second wholesomething with paleo between) and now in the middle of reintroductions. Is that what you were asking?

For sure.  I also try and replace those calories with vegetables.  I do feel like I am eating a ton, more than normal due to this dizzy thing.  I keep hoping it makes it go away but not so far.  I have not quite gotten to the point where I am just not hungry as I did with Paleo. 

W30 is quite a bit different than I expected. I really thought it was just a tweak from where I was.... not the case!  I admit so far to be not so excited about it.  When I did Paleo it was easier, I felt great and weight fell off me.  So far on W30 I feel like crap and not losing weight.

Wow - Whole 45?  Amazing.  I haven't tried fodmap. Yes was referring to what you are doing, have done.  thanks!

How much fat are you eating? You are going to have to eat an awful lot of veges to replace a concentrated carb source like honey, and snacks. 

Try upping the fat? Have things improved any?

I wouldn't try low fodmap unless you have unresolved gut issues, that's really the point of it. Its like AIP - good if you have an autoimmune disease, but not worth the effort otherwise.

Hope things improve for you soon

I am feeling better today, was yesterday too.  Mental clarity was better, is today too.  Sleep is way off which may be part of the issue.  Daylight savings is a killer (means I am awake at 4:45 vs 5:45 and can't go back to sleep, happened on Paleo too)

I have not fully replaced the old stuff w/just veggies.  Didn't mean to imply that as I realize of course that sounds like I am not eating enough.  I am following the rule of 3 pretty closely: palm of protein, 2-4 cups of veggies and at least thumb of fat. I'd say I hit that at every meal.  I've never been fearful of fat so always been one to confidently drizzle olive oil on something or eat half of an avocado. 

I am starting to think that I hit a bad run with a week long vestibular migraine, over tired in addition to other shifts.  Good tip (thank you!!) on not trying low fodmap or others unless needed.  I am a 15 year celiac and have not really had any belly issues since going GF.

• 2 months later...

Circling back for the moderators that were responding to my posts about dizzy spells... for us migraine sufferers, the fall change in weather and time change often brings on an onslaught of migraines.  This is apparently what was going on.  A cycle that needed to be broken at the hospital with drugs.  I let it go far too long thinking it was food related, it was not.  I had/have vertigo/vestibular migraines.  Nothing to do with Whole 30 eating.  Now that it is past me, I feel fabulous :-)  My learning, go to the doctor earlier.  Correlation does not equal causation.  I know better... Thanks!!

As a side note about paleo and whole 30....when I started my whole 30, I thought I was pretty 'paleo'.  But what I discovered was that I was a big sugar addict.  Sugar is hidden in places you wouldn't think.  So I felt pretty bad from days 5-10 (I think it was.)  I had a dull headache the whole time and felt like I was coming down with a cold.  I think my body was freaking out from sugar withdrawal!

I'm feeling the same way you were, and I'm on day 7.  I do get migranes as well, but this doesn't feel like one.  

I thought I'd have boundless energy by this stage of the W30, but I'm still feeling sluggish.

I upped my fat intake today after reading these posts, so we'll see how I feel in a day or two.  I'll probably pop a migrane pill when I get home as well to see if that kicks me out of my slump.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi PoukieBear - I just noticed your post... it's old but wanted to respond.  How are you feeling now?  I did not have boundless energy until after my W30 was complete sorry to say.  I am in my 4th month of following the eating plan (less strict now but do follow the eating plan and template just less rigid about labels and have a glass of wine now and then).  I didn't feel many of the benefits until after.  It just took that long despite being close to paleo when I started.  I also ended up with a seasonal migraine/vertigo that was unrelated that lasted 3 weeks.  I was a mess during my W30.

I do find that 1) eating enough is essential for me - especially at breakfast and 2) yes, yes on the fat intake!  3) I need carbs.  I eat a sweet potato daily mostly via a hearty hash I mean for breakfast.  I do need to be conscious about eating more when eating this way and I am losing plenty of weight.  You won't find my rate on the front page of the site but oh well.  I am down almost 20lbs since end of Oct, I feel great, have seen a lot of positive changes, eating is totally under control and the weird stuff is gone. 

Migraines did not get better and are managed via meds - oh well, can't have it all.  Much else did improve by doing a W30 so as you can see I am sticking with it!

Hope your symptoms went away!! 

This was such a great post to find and read.  Here is what I have been experiencing:  

I am on Day 14 of my first Whole30 and have experienced waves of dizziness too; some waves are brief but others last a couple of hours.     I do not suffer from migraines, have not had any headaches, definitely add salt to my food, and am a balance between protein, fats and carbs, and am very hydrated.  

Naturally my blood pressure runs about 100/60; there hasn't been a change in this.  Not sure if I should attribute the dizziness to my change in eating habits or perhaps some vertigo related to winter cold season (although I haven't had a cold recently) and possible fluid in my ear.  

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kindly,

Mary

• 1 year later...

I'm new to whole30.  This is day 4 for me and I just started dealing with lightheadedness especially when standing.  I do seem to get this way when I eat healthy.  I don't have migraines.   I don't know if it's a blood sugar issue or a blood pressure issue.  I'm trying to drink enough and eat enough carby veggies.  Any other suggestions?   

Jmcbn -

I've been eating eggs with salsa and avocado for breakfast every morning.  Along with a cup of coffee and sometimes fruit.  I still get hungry mid morning and have nuts and dried fruit, or carrots dipped in almond butter.  For lunch I've been having a can of tuna with olive oil and salt and pepper along with roasted Acorn squash or Kale chips.  For dinner I had turkey taco meat on top of spaghetti squash, BLT salad and Kale salad. I've have  baked sweet potatoes, Apple sauce, or hard boiled eggs with pesto for snacks too.  I was sipping on coconut water for the first two days too.  I have been drinking about 90 oz of water per day.  I add plenty of salt to my food too.  I got woozy this morning after the eggs and coffee.  Maybe I need more carbs for breakfast?

Thank you

It sounds to me like you're getting plenty of carbs. How about portion sizes though? You've not given any indication of how much you're eating? How many eggs at breakfast? Where is your veg at breakfast? What does the protein serving look like in relation to the palm of your hand? How much veg? If you're needing to snack then those meals are not big enough, and if you're needing to snack until you figure out how much you need to be eating avoid fruit & nuts/nut butters - go for a mini meal, or make it at least two of the three food groups, with protein & fat being your best option.

@Beth ann e- coconut water is a kind of light fruit juice and as such is really only recommended for endurance athletes to use during events, of for those whose work leaves them prone to dehydration. I think you're getting plenty of carbs, and have a feeling you'd do better with more food in general (as I mentioned above), and specifically more fat.

One of the aims of Whole30 is to teach your body to tap into it's fat stores for fuel. If you constantly top up your sugar stores with compliant carb dense foods such as nuts (yes they're a fat for Whole 30 purposes but they're also A LOT higher in carbs than most people realise - particularly cashews), dried fruits, sweet potatoes & coconut water you'll only prolong the process.

Let us know how you get on.

Archived