Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

It's Day 1: Who's with me? Let's get to know each other a little with a brief introduction. Who are you? Where are you from? Why are you embarking on this mission? What challenges do you anticipate? What are you doing today to make this a success?

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and getting healthy together!

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I'm Rebecca, from NJ. I am committing to a whole 30 for health reasons. I have diabetes, high cholesterol and am over weight. I also have a serious sugar addiction. I want to be healthy and have a healthy relationship with food. I have previously attempted a W30 before, but have not gotten past 2 weeks. This time will be different!

The biggest challenges I foresee are meal planning, prepping and cleaning, as well as sugar cravings and dairy. And dealing with a 7 year old who will not eat most foods. Yesterday, I wrote my goals for the month, per the worksheet in the email.

To get ahead of the curve, I am cooking a ton today, roasting veggies, chicken in the crock pot, hard boiling eggs, making mayo and ketchup, clarifying butter and making fresh coconut milk.

Here's to making today a success!

Yay! I'm Charlene from Ontario (Canada), and this is my second W30. My main goal is to slay the sugar dragon that continues to hold me back. I cut out most grains and dairy a few years ago, started strength training, and have had great success. But there's still lots of room for improvement. I found the first W30 pretty easy, since I eat almost paleo to begin with. I even drink my coffee black now! Huge victory for me. But I still relied a bit too much on sweet things, like dried fruit or banana...so the dragon is still lurking!

I'm going to journal this time around, put more energy into prepping food and at the gym. I've got shredded chicken in the oven and I'm making a big batch of BBQ sauce today. I think I'll pop over to the farmer's market for some fall veggies too.

Good luck everyone!

I put myself in a bad position yesterday and left the house hungry, while I touched no candy (very proud of myself) I caved in on pizza when offered.  

SO I'm in.  and am not going anywhere for thanksgiving so no temptation there. 

Ok I'm in! Did a whole "21" in September but decided that an impromptu holiday and whole30 didn't mix so converted to "whole9 living". But sleep deprivation from sick kids quickly saw me return to some bad habits so I'm in for a full whole30 now! Starting is the hardest bit for me because I know how good I feel after the first week.

I'm in NZ so it is halfway through Day 2 for me. I had complications from dental work on Thu so I can't tolerate much more than soup...makes staying away from treats easier!

Looking forward to a successful 30 days with everyone! :)

Hi, I'm Angela. My partner & I are starting our first Whole30. I started today & she will start tomorrow. I have been experimenting with recipes for the past few weeks but this will be my first shot at a full 30 days of compliance.

Today went pretty well. Bacon & eggs & black tea for breakfast, then South Beach tuna salad (canned tuna, avocado, tomato, celery, radishes, cucumber, olive oil, lime juice, salt) & an apple at lunch, then Nom Nom Paleo's Damn Fine Chicken, roasted potatoes, & steamed broccoli for dinner.  I drank some herbal teas & a bottle of cranberry kombucha during the day.

I also did some prep work today - big grocery run, made the tuna salad, made the Damn Fine Chicken (which will be dinner again next Wednesday), & made a sweet potato/baby spinach quiche that will be breakfast for most of next week.  I have some other meals frozen away - leftovers from experiments! - so right now, I think I've got almost everything prepped through Wednesday. 

Hello all!  I am starting my 3rd Whole 30 tomorrow, November 2.  My last one was in January and I did pretty well but then afterwards I went crazy.  I have gained the 10 lbs back that I lost, plus about 20 more!  I am now heavier than I have ever been (not pregnant).  I am so sick of being this heavy!  I am sick of waking up tired, stiff, and sore.  I am sick of my clothes being so tight.  I have 4 kids 6 and under (including 1 year old twins!) and I need all the energy I can get.  I also want to set a good example for my kids, and I want to be around to watch them grow up.  

My problem is I start feeling deprived of my favorite foods (chocolate!) even thought I feel good physically when I eat this way.  Also we live in the middle of nowhere and it's a long way to the grocery store.  On the plus side, we have our own beef and eggs, so at least I don't have to worry about protein.  

Another challenge will be cooking so much.  I used to love cooking, but with this many children (and did I mention I homeschool the oldest two and that my hubby works from home?  So that means I am responsible for 3 meals a day for 6 people!) it is difficult to find time and energy to cook and clean up the kitchen.  I guess the challenge is making as many kid and husband-friendly Whole30 meals as possible.  

Another challenge is my in-laws' house is full of junk food.  My father-in-law is such a sugar addict.  We live next door and spend alot of time over there.  To overcome this I plan to take some olive oil, canned tuna, and frozen veggies over there so at least there will be something for me to eat).  

I have prepped for this Whole30 by going grocery shopping today and buying plenty of fresh veggies.  I am stocked up for at least 10 days I think, if I plan my meals right.

Also, I am looking for some festive Whole30 recipes for Thanksgiving.  So far all I've come up with is roasted brussels sprouts and Butternut Squash Soup.  Is it even possible to find something pumpkin-y that isn't SWYPO?    

I'm Tracy, I'm a Whole30 veteran after joining groups monthly for almost a year.  I successfully completed whole30s in September 2013 and January 2014 and have been 90% paleo ever since.  But some bad habits came back this summer because we were living in hotels due to a home remodel so November is going to be my re-set.

Did fine today - spent most of the morning doing a bit of a cookup.  I have my old stand-bys by now - a cup of chicken broth or soup (bacon-asparagus-spinach this month) instead of coffee, then sweet potato hash with two fried eggs for breakfast. Well Fed's chocolate chili.  Nom Nom Paleo's cracklin chicken.  Or a roast chicken. 

Today I was not tempted whatsoever by Halloween candy, and I turned down some peanut butter pretzels and some pizza at work.  Without whole30 I graze throughout my shift at work, so this helps me with self-control.

I hope this will be an active group!

Hi everyone, I'm Mel, I'm 34 and live in Australia, so like Cath J, will be a little ahead of you all. This is my 3rd Whole30, my first one was completed in May, lost 7kgs and brought my blood sugar levels that my next A1C test was 6.2, after the previous one was 7.5! I attempted another on from mid July, but ended up with the flu on day 25 and crashed. I'm lucky that I don't have too much of a sugar dragon, but the savoury dragon and the chip dragon seems to constantly be on my shoulders. I'm hoping to lose some more weight this month, but mainly I want to feel as good as I did back in May, with my mental health improved, and having so much more energy.

I usually have the same thing for breakfast everyday, stir fried zucchini, capsicum (sweet pepper), mushrooms and baby spinach. At the moment I'm getting fresh asparagus from my dad, so that is also going in the stir fry. I also have 4 eggs cooked in ghee with the veggies, and I sometimes add a little home made Mayo or aioli if I feel like it. Lunch is usually leftovers, or I will roast some sweet potato, broccoli and cauliflower and a couple of chicken thighs to take for lunch. Dinner is mostly meat and veg, lots of great ideas on the clothes make the girl, Nom nom paleo etc, plus I've pinned some i want to try on Pinterest... Need to make a new board for the ones I've tried and approve on so I can find them more easily!

Anyway, good luck, see you all everyday!

Hi my name is Joy I live in the UK so just starting day 2. I did a successful whole 30 back in January and attempted another but only got to about day 25 and caved. I am doing this because I have fibromyalgia, gastritis and IBS. I have also regained the 24lbs I lost with my fitness pal. I am sick of being in pain from the fibro and just feeling unhealthy. I work full time as a midwife and have 3 children Marcus is 18, and I have twins who are 10. My boys both have autism and one has ADHD. My girl is as crazy as me. I love running, lifting and dancing.

Yesterday I hade eggs and dried beef for breakfast, steak, salad and my mayo for lunch and roast chickens and veggies for dinner. I drank lots of green tea but evening was a challenge as my daughter sat eating Halloween candy, I didn't touch any though go me. I hope this is an active group I could use the support. I will be blogging also.

Hi, I am Willow, I live in the UK. I attempted this twice already and didn't last past week one, "things" got in the way mainly because I didn't plan carefully. This time will be different I am committed to go the whole 30. I am doing this because I am tired of being tired all the time, I suffer from severe migraines and this might help. I don't like cooking and cleaning after cooking this will be my main problem. I love bread, cereal, crackers, they are easy to get hold of require no preparation and they fill you up, I think I might be addicted to granola. So let's begin this journey...

Hi everyone! Yet another Aussie here :) I started on November 1st and just finishing up my second day. Feeling great so far, and don't know if it's related but my sinuses have totally cleared like I can't remember when?!

Hubby is along for the ride with me, but can't give up his cappuccinos.... The kids aren't overly impressed by the whole situation, even though I'm giving them lots of leeway, I've changed things for them and had a big talk about how important it is for us to change as a family (they are 5 and 7).

I've spent my Sunday arvo prepping more meals for the week, and am surprised by how much we have gone through already - we are very used to eating out so this will be a change for us!

I'm hoping my prep will make the next couple of days at work easier, before I do more prep on Wednesday - day off.

Everyone seems really awesome, and I think with all the support I'll be through my 30 days in no time!! We have a weekend away at our favourite resort around the 20th which I am anticipating will be a difficult time for me to make the right decisions, they have the BEST buffet breakfast included and I'm just going to have to bypass most of it and spend some time with the egg chef I think!

Hope there is some regular updates from everyone!!

Hi, I'm in for Nov too. I'm from Ireland and this would be my 3rd whole30. I struggle staying paleo after though so I think that's my hurdle. Not that Nov is going to be easy either- but it's worth it and I'm looking forward to feeling good again. Did a big cook up day yesterday and cooked compliant butter chicken and meat and veg soup. Morning are hectic so hoping to try soup for breakfast on working days this time. I have a little boy but he won't be doing w30 with me.

Day 2 and the headache has landed, prob due to all the Halloween crap I ate before I started!

Hello everyone!  I am starting my first Whole30 today.  I'm not too worried about most of the food choices, and I already cook a lot.  But the wine and margaritas and twice weekly mexican food ....  oh my, giving up that part will be hard.  I am 51 and have been an athlete all my life.  Love to work out - just get lazy with eating sometimes, and when I drink I make poor food choices - and over the last few months I have gained quite a bit of weight.  Looking forward to dropping some of this extra weight and feeling better - when I am at an ideal weight and eating clean, I feel better than I did at 30!  I'm looking forward to the comradere and support.

• Moderators

Also, I am looking for some festive Whole30 recipes for Thanksgiving.  So far all I've come up with is roasted brussels sprouts and Butternut Squash Soup.  Is it even possible to find something pumpkin-y that isn't SWYPO?    

Try the recipes in this post from The Clothes Make The Girl -- the Velvety Butternut Squash might satisfy the pumpkin-y flavor you're looking for, and you could probably even make it with pumpkin instead of the butternut squash if you wanted. ***One tiny little note, the last three recipes in that post are desserts. They are absolutely, positively, not Whole30 compliant.***

There's also some ideas in this post from Nom Nom Paleo -- again, there are a couple of desserts in there, and sometimes her recipes include a bit of honey or maple syrup which you would have to leave out or skip that recipe, but it should give you some ideas.

Also, google Whole30 Thanksgiving -- I know others have brought up doing Whole30 Thanksgivings in the past, you might find some good ideas from previous posts.

Hi All -- I'm Kathy and I'm from California.  I'm in this to lose weight and to decrease pain and inflammation so I can enjoy hiking and other activities that I'm missing out on.  I've made a lot of changes to my diet over the last year but I'm still trying to tame the sugar monster in certain areas.  I started making additional changes in my diet over the last week or so in anticipation of starting this program and jumped in yesterday and completed my 1st successful day on Whole30.  Some of my biggest challenges are going to be all the cooking and cleaning up and trying to fit that in to an already busy schedule so I'm trying to pre-plan and cook ahead as much as possible.  Also, I'm in sales so I have client meetings (breakfast / lunches) periodically so I'm going to have to try and figure those days out and stay compliant.  Also, with thanksgiving coming up and my family not being bought into the program so I'd like some ideas on foods that everyone can enjoy and still stay Whole30 compliant.  Looking forward to this adventure :)

Hi All! Thank you for starting this circle of introductions, Kaykay.

This is my third Whole30 in two years and I still struggle with sugar and mindless snacking. I love, love chocolate and I sometimes eat standing right in front of an open fridge. It's not obvious. I am a runner and half-marathoner and don't need to lose weight BUT I berate myself when I make consistent bad choices and I have been making A LOT of bad choices recently. I am terribly tired of feeling off-track.

My last Whole30 was in January and there was an incredible forum that I ran to read when temptation for sugar was strong. My sugar dragon drives my choices and I just want some freedom from that.

This Whole30 is a correction month for me. To be honest, I love sweets and intend to enjoy them through the holidays and so, now, I need to gain a little control of sugar and snacking so I can indulge consciously in December.

Hey everyone! My name's Meghan and I'm from New Jersey. I plan to start tomorrow, Nov 3rd. This is my first time doing Whole30, or any overly healthy eating in general. Been eating like crap the last few days, too, so the next few should be fun! I'm doing this because I want to lose weight and just get healthier overall, and this seemed like a good way to do it. I'm never really rested, even when I manage to get nine hours of sleep. Luckily, my mom is kind of doing it with me (we have an awesome family recipe for something that's similar to cinnamon swirl bread, and my mother apparently can't go one holiday without it :rolleyes: ) so I have some support at home, but hope we all keep reporting back here, too. We're making ghee tomorrow!

Welcome everybody! My partner got home today from a two-month long business trip, so our OFFICIAL first day is tomorrow.

I have TONS of food prepared!

Mocha-Rubbed Pot Roast: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/29/crock-pot-mocha-rubbed-pot-roast/

Mashed Cauliflower: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1657598867/best-make-ahead-side-garlic-cauliflower-mashed

Chicken Soup (uhhh, no recipe - used the carcass of a rotisserie chicken to make a chicken bone broth, then threw bunches of vegetables & chicken in it).

Polpette di Tacchino: turkey meatballs! One of my favorite recipes, which I adapted to make it Whole30 compliant.

Damn Fine Chicken: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4207543396/damn-fine-chicken

Braised Cabbage: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1356598429/worlds-best-braised-green-cabbage

Prosciutto Muffins (lining the muffin tins with prosciutto was MADDENING but the muffins are awesome): http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins

South Beach tuna salad: (see previous comment, above)

Sweet Potato Quiche (modified): http://grokgrub.com/2013/06/10/recipe-sweet-potato-quiche/

Pork Chops with Applesauce: http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/entrees/pork/pork-chops-and-applesauce/

Welcome all the new Whole30 people! :D

I'm a female geek in Melbourne, Australia and this isn't my first Whole30 - I'm starting 3rd of November, which is already here in Australia.

Whole30 changed my life the first time around, my health has never been better :D I had no idea gluten or dairy made me sick, so it's been very much a revelation. Some additional tests identified I also have a gene condition, so two very important things were identified for me during the Reintroduction phase. I recommend planning it and taking it seriously. I would not have had the benefits I've had without it! :D

I'm "super obese" and was working shift work for the last 15 years or so (very bad for health we now know).

I've made some Whole9 permanent lifestyle changes and no more shift work for me :)

I am possibly coeliac (get too sick to complete the test - but been gluten free now for about 12 months-ish - still have 35 years of damage to recover from) and also have two copies of the MTHFR gene, so I need to pay attention to nutrition (the gene thing mucks around with my cellular function, which impacts just about everything in my body). I have trouble with my blood sugar and cortisol levels (I have to take cortisone currently for a medication condition) and hope to be able to get rid of the cortisol if I can get rid of or reduce my sinus condition.

I've been meaning to do another Whole30 for awhile, and today is the day I start. I've been letting too much filler food on my plate. Mostly good ingredients, but I've been letting some things push veggies off my plate. Grains are terrible for inflammation for me, rice is the most inert but I'm still better without it. Dairy used to make me very sick but my gut is healing and it no longer makes me sick but I am back to avoiding it as it also doesn't make me feel healthier.

Challenges for me personally : Keeping it simple, eating out & staying compliant (my first Whole30 I didn't go out at all except to a paleo café - far from home). Trying not to be envious of USA Whole30 bacon availability ;)

My tips:

• Bulk cooking - this makes everything easier!
  • Nomnompaleo taught me to cook two chickens at once! :D
  • Try and prep veggies and fruit in advance, so temptations are lower with healthy yummy things ready to go :)
  • Be gentle with yourself, don't make things harder than they need to be - cook simple, plan ahead.
  • If food is feeling bland or too simple, check out sauces and recipe variations from Clothes Make The Girl - Sunshine Sauce is a beauty!
  • If you can afford them, great cookbooks for Whole30: Well Fed & Well Fed II - There's also many free recipes on her blog.

Day 2 complete and it has been challenging, I have stuck to it but it's been a challenge. I have felt hungover all day, mild headache and a fuzzy head, I have also been a little unbalanced (bumped into walls more than once). The kids Halloween candy is calling my name and I have been eyeing up my left over quest bars. I have stayed strong though but had no energy to work out. I have had a rest week to be honest as we have been in holiday but I still feel very sore from my fibromyalgia, feet, ankles and hips mainly. I really want to exercise tomorrow hope I feel better.

Today's food was breakfast scrambled egg with smoked salmon and boiled potatoes.

Lunch tuna salad homemade mayo

Dinner baked sweet potato, lamb chilli and roast peppers.

Snack strawberries, raspberries, almonds and coconut milk.

This Whole30 is a correction month for me. To be honest, I love sweets and intend to enjoy them through the holidays and so, now, I need to gain a little control of sugar and snacking so I can indulge consciously in December.

This is me too. October is 3 birthdays (incl my own), thanksgiving, our anniversary, and Halloween. That's a lot of treats! So this W30 is to correct for the past month, stay out of the Halloween candy, and hopefully make some good habits stick so I can better-manage the Christmas holidays. Thank goodness there are no holidays in November (in Canada at least).

Started today, Nov 2nd, and so far so good. I leave out for a 3 day business trip in the morning and have three days worth of food packed and ready to go.

I gave up alcohol (beer) 20 days, which has been brutal.I either walk/run or do Crossfit 4-5 days per week.

Really interested in seeing how what I am eating is affecting me, and hopefully I'll drop a few pounds along the way.

Archived