Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

I fell. My biggest weakness is scheduling. I didn't schedule my meals well, ended up buying a larabar on the fly and eating it with coconut chips, salted nori, and grapefruit juice after getting caught out without emergency food and having not made it home for lunch. I had a very late lunch of jerk chicken and curried cauliflower. Then I got home and it was pandamonium with the kids, and my hubby was out of town. I threw my blood sugar out of whack with the lunch skip and I ended up finishing my kids Mac and cheese. It was gross. I felt gross. Ugh. Back to day 1.

Day 1 is just a number. Keep it in perspective and don't look back.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how's everyone feeling today?? Today is my day 12! I'm feeling great and clothes are getting a bit looser! 

I have a couple challenges coming up. Tomorrow night, me and 5 of my girlfriends are going out for dinner. Of course, they choose to go to one of my favorite (unhealthy) restaurants! I've been preparing myself and have already looked ahead at the menu to know what I will order and to make sure it's compliant. It's going to be tough but right now, I have ZERO desire for that food. I know it will be tempting when I see their food in front of me. But I can do this!

I'm already thinking ahead to Thanksgiving and thinking about how I'm good to survive an entire day in my mother-in-laws house. Food, cookies, pies, galore! I am planning to make 2 or 3 compliant dishes to share with everyone. And that's probably all I will eat! I am going to need some super strength during that time and support from my husband. His family will be trying their best to make sure everyone gets too much food, a couple slices of pie with whip cream on top, and cookies. And they already think our lifestyle is crazy so I'm sure I'll get to take all their comments and accusations. I know they love me but sometimes I get so frustrated with their comments about how we eat and workout and living in general. Just get over it!

Does anyone else struggle with family and/or friends making comments and thinking you're just plain crazy for eating the way you do? At least my husband is 100% on my side. He eats and believes in nutrition just like I do. So at least he's on my team! It's just sad that so many people have no interest in nutrition and are completely uneducated about it. 

You guys are awesome! I hope everyone's day is great!

I'm on day 11 here, and plugging along without falling off the wagon (yay me!). I have been craving fresh squeezed orange juice in a BIG way (not from a carton, actual squeezed oranges). I totally salivate for it, I have 2 glasses a day! It has curbed most of my cravings, and even lessened my coffee craving. I call my juicer my new coffee machine :)

I have that spiralizer too, and it is AWESOME. We have used it to make sweet potato pasta. Spiral a sweet potato, sautée it in whichever oil you prefer for a few minutes (you're not even cooking it, just heating it up basically), then top with your favourite sauce. Even my 7 year old likes it!

Day 13 here. Had the most uncomfortable bloated feeling in the middle of the night. Still not sure what I ate yesterday to bring that on. Would a whack of cauliflower rice cause that?

Anyway, besides that, still feeling good. I've cracked a new pace on the rowing machine - chalking it up to my increased energy level. Having lunch out tomorrow with my staff and am a bit worried I won't ask enough questions. Must not be timid!

Today's office temptation = homemade lemon squares (I looove lemon!) and Timbits (donut holes). Sigh.

Hey Team November. Rough day here so far. My partner & I had a fight this morning (normal couple stuff) that left me in a blue mood. It's super-cold here, with several more days of very low temperatures predicted. Work is boring. 

Still staying with the program though. Today is the kind of day that planning can carry you through. I didn't have to make breakfast - because breakfast was already in the fridge (prosciutto-wrapped mini-fritatta muffins & sweet potato quiche). I didn't have to work hard to get lunches prepared - it was all leftovers from previous dinners. So I'm at my desk, eating pulled pork & cole slaw, & trying to be less grouchy. Grrr. 

I really want to go home & take the dog for a long walk, but it's too cold for her. We shall see if I'm irritated enough to go for a walk without her.

I love my Paderno spiral slicer.  And the website inspiralized.com.  My kids love their bisketty.

My goal today is to get to the gym.  I re-joined last week and have yet to go.  I'm doing well on the plan but my clothes are still tight so I need to burn off some calories and build up some muscle for this lifestyle to work for me.

Leaving for the gym ... right ..... now.

Hey Team November. Rough day here so far.

I agree! Its cold and dreary here and I find that the weather really has an impact on my mood!! Haven't gotten the chance to workout until later and I'll be at work till 9 pm...over a 12 hour day...

Howeverrrrr!!! Last night I had the most amazing dinner...

I cooked some pork ribs in the crock pot with some apple butter(only ingredients being apple and cinnamon) with some cayenne pepper and some chili powder. I poured some chicken stock and let it work its magic for 8 hours or so when I was at work..

When I got home they looked and smelled sooo sooo delicious.

I roasted some asparagus, squash, and artichokes(with alot of coconut oil), drizzled some lemon and salt and whole30 approved spices and called it a meal.

It was delicious!!! I highly recommend it to absolutely anyone looking to break into a different type of meat food group (instead of ground beef, etc etc)

RachelRoberts2, those pork ribs sound delicious. My slow cooker is my best friend in the kitchen. 

But yesterday I ordered what may be my new best friend....... the Padermo spiralizer!

http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1415915981&sr=1-1

It arrives Friday & I can't wait to try it out.

drtracyb, I hope you had a great workout!

Angledge-

I wish i saw that before I got my Veggetti! Looks absolutely amazing, I spent almost 20 minutes drooling over the different vegetable spaghetti recipes today! Definitely going to throw together some almond butter sauce on some carrot noodles soon. nom nom nom!!!! Let me know if you have anyyyyy delicccccious ideas :))

Enjoy your Thursdays everyone!!

Is anyone using any apps or wearables for tracking exercise etc.....?

I've been using RunKeeper for years as well as Digifit.com. I use MyFitnessPal, but for these 30 days I'm not tracking any food.

I also love my FitBit for tracking steps, trying to hit 10,000 every day.

Interesting experience, this falling off the wagon thing. I've never had arthritis before but eating grains and dairy last night didn't just leave me feeling digestively cruddy, I awoke with inflamed joints! My knees, wrists, fingers, etc. were sooo arthritic. My hands swelled so much I had to take off my wedding ring. :( So odd. Has anyone else who started eating junk had a reaction to something they don't normally have a reaction to?

My kids and I all feel cruddy whenever we go off the wagon.  My fibromyalgia absolutely flares when I have dairy, to the point that I have developed a food aversion from the number of times I have ached after knowingly eating dairy.

I made it to the gym but then had a slight Trader Joe's fail.  They were sampling red pepper soup with kale and mini meatballs in it.  I tried it, thought it was delicious and bought the soup, kale and meatballs to bring to work with me.  I get to work only to realize that the soup has dairy and sugar in it, and the meatballs have breadcrumbs in them.  :-(  So, I guess that bite at Trader Joe's was an accidental fail for me.  And I'm left here at work with no real dinner.  Luckily I had brought my roasted chicken, oooh!, I just realized I can make kale chips in the microwave!  Ok, so life isn't so bad afterall.  I just hope we have salt.  I wonder if you can make kale chips without olive oil ......  I guess I'll find out.

For anyone making nut milks, I just read a cool trick.  I can't stand squeezing the nut milk bag (or in my case, the paint strainer bag) to squeeze out all the liquid from the solids.  I've been trying to figure out something mechanical to do it for me, even tried a french press, which just got clogged.  I just read about using a potato ricer to compress the bag.  I can't wait to try it out.  My other choice was a cheese press.

So how's everyone feeling today?? Today is my day 12! I'm feeling great and clothes are getting a bit looser! 

Does anyone else struggle with family and/or friends making comments and thinking you're just plain crazy for eating the way you do? At least my husband is 100% on my side. He eats and believes in nutrition just like I do. So at least he's on my team! It's just sad that so many people have no interest in nutrition and are completely uneducated about it. 

You guys are awesome! I hope everyone's day is great!

My hubby's grandma. She enjoys feeding people, and she is in great shape for her age. But she thinks meat is bad for you. She has definitely made comments to me in the past. I'm sure I'll see her on thanksgiving. She always brings the pies. My plan is to get a piece and park a toddler on my lap. That way I can just pretend to share with my kid, when in reality the kid will be doing all the eating!

For anyone making nut milks, I just read a cool trick.  I can't stand squeezing the nut milk bag (or in my case, the paint strainer bag) to squeeze out all the liquid from the solids.  I've been trying to figure out something mechanical to do it for me, even tried a french press, which just got clogged.  I just read about using a potato ricer to compress the bag.  I can't wait to try it out.  My other choice was a cheese press.

Hi @drtracyb--yes, we use a potato ricer and cheesecloth when we make coconut milk--works a charm!

My kids and I all feel cruddy whenever we go off the wagon.  My fibromyalgia absolutely flares when I have dairy, to the point that I have developed a food aversion from the number of times I have ached after knowingly eating dairy.

I made it to the gym but then had a slight Trader Joe's fail.  They were sampling red pepper soup with kale and mini meatballs in it.  I tried it, thought it was delicious and bought the soup, kale and meatballs to bring to work with me.  I get to work only to realize that the soup has dairy and sugar in it, and the meatballs have breadcrumbs in them.  :-(  So, I guess that bite at Trader Joe's was an accidental fail for me.  And I'm left here at work with no real dinner.  Luckily I had brought my roasted chicken, oooh!, I just realized I can make kale chips in the microwave!  Ok, so life isn't so bad afterall.  I just hope we have salt.  I wonder if you can make kale chips without olive oil ......  I guess I'll find out.

Kale chips in the microwave? Do share your technique! Also, I would love to know your kids' favorite paleo dishes.

Day 12 down. I am definitely feeling blah. Sounds like some of you are too. This cold weather has us cooped up in the house all day. I can't take the twins out for more than a few minutes before they lose their mittens and start crying. I took them out twice today for literally five minutes at a time. I hope it warms up again soon.

Going to the little Podunk grocery store on Saturday. At least it's something, I am so low on fresh fruit for the kids and fresh vegs for me. I think it's mainly just cabin fever that is making me feel so uninspired to cook. I don't really want to eat anything except chocolate, and even the thought of that doesn't cheer me up. I know I'll just feel bad about myself if I go off plan, and when I'm already feeling down about everything else, why would I do that to myself?

Ok...RANT ALERT:

I THINK OUR RUDDY FRIDGE IS ON THE BLINK!

Noticed yesterday that the freezer was not freezing so quickly--nothing melted, but things taking WAY long to freeze. This afternoon, though, pulled out the parma (totally compliant--one of my fave finds from a previous W30)--and there was MOLD growing on it. Now I hear from our resident milk drinkers that the milk has gone off. 

WE HAVE A TON OF FOOD IN THAT THING, INCLUDING THIS WEEK'S WORTH OF COOK UP ITEMS--

And of course, now I'm paranoid I'm poisoning everyone--like, literally. And really? A new fridge was not in the future forecast. Don't even know where to start with this. Don't even know what to do about tomorrow and food--UGH!!!!

Rant over. As is my broadcasting day: g'night all. May you have pleasant dreams of healthy--and unspoilt--foods. 

Kale chips in the microwave? Do share your technique! Also, I would love to know your kids' favorite paleo dishes.

Day 12 down. I am definitely feeling blah. Sounds like some of you are too. This cold weather has us cooped up in the house all day. I can't take the twins out for more than a few minutes before they lose their mittens and start crying. I took them out twice today for literally five minutes at a time. I hope it warms up again soon.

Going to the little Podunk grocery store on Saturday. At least it's something, I am so low on fresh fruit for the kids and fresh vegs for me. I think it's mainly just cabin fever that is making me feel so uninspired to cook. I don't really want to eat anything except chocolate, and even the thought of that doesn't cheer me up. I know I'll just feel bad about myself if I go off plan, and when I'm already feeling down about everything else, why would I do that to myself?

I have a whole thread in whole30 for kids called "this is hard".  It did get easier though my kids are still terrible about their vegetables.  They get scrambled eggs for breakfast.  Lunches usually consist of leftovers, applesauce and carrots (which come back to me uneaten).  Favorite paleo dinners include Well Fed's Chocolate Chile; Nom Nom Paleo's Cracklin' chicken; Nom Nom Paleo's slow cooker chicken and gravy; steak on the barbecue; homemade chicken salad; beef sliders; slow cooker spaghetti sauce and meatballs; bolognese sauce.  They love zucchini noodles made with the spiralizer.  And sweet potato rice with the spiralizer.  My daughter loves chicken broth for breakfast.  And lots and lots of bacon.  My daughter actually loves tomatoes so those are her main vegetables.  I do let them have rice occasionally, which is not officially paleo.  I also give them theclothesmakesthegirl roasted cauliflower rice.  I think one recipe added garam masala to it.

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/03/25/roasted-cauliflower-rice/

/theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/03/25/roasted-cauliflower-rice/

As for the veggies, I hide a lot of them in paleo muffins - thepaleomom has great parsnip carrot muffins.  There are chocolate spinach brownies but my kids get hyper on chocolate.  And almond cookies.  My kids stay paleo mainly because I do let them have paleo treats.  But check out paleo for kids, because the moderators don't like me talking about  noncompliant foods on the main thread.

My husband does not keep them compliant when I am away at work on the weekends but they are paleo compliant during the week.  And they preferentially choose healthy foods over crap most of the time now, even turning down some candy that was offered to them at school.

Regarding kale chips in the microwave, I read it somewhere.  Nomnompaleo?  theclothesmakesthegirl?  I think they were massaged with olive oil and then microwaved very carefully so they did not burn.  Then salted.

Yesterday was slightly better than the day before but I had to go to a funeral. I didn't expect there to be compliant food but there was literally nothing at all I could eat. I sat with my soda water while everyone else ate and asked me why I wasn't eating. I used my jaw as an excuse as it was my husbands family who I hardly know but I doubt they would get it. It felt kind of good to be so strong but the downside was I didn't get home till 16.10 and had to go straight out for the children so lunch was a compliant fruit and nut bar and fruit not great but I stuck with the programme. Last night I was on nights at work so day 14 is beginning but I am in bed. Off to my mums for dinner she does kind of get it and will work round what I can have and ask if she isn't sure. She really is the best mother. My jaw pain is almost gone thankfully so I can soon resume normal eating. My work uniform was looser last night so I must be doing something right. Keep at it people.

Interesting experience, this falling off the wagon thing. I've never had arthritis before but eating grains and dairy last night didn't just leave me feeling digestively cruddy, I awoke with inflamed joints! My knees, wrists, fingers, etc. were sooo arthritic. My hands swelled so much I had to take off my wedding ring. :( So odd. Has anyone else who started eating junk had a reaction to something they don't normally have a reaction to?

Super interesting.  I have always prided myself that "I can eat anything!" Nothing bothers my stomach, no food allergies, etc..  I have gone off grains and sugar plenty of times.  That's not that hard for me. Never been off dairy before; in fact I LOVE CHEESE!  Anyway, now that I am on Whole30 my so called "seasonal /dust/ mold allergies" are gone.  No more sleeping with kleenex next to my bed or needing water during the night for an annoying tickle cough (which I have year round).  I also have a herniated disc in my neck that causes inflammation that I can even feel externally.  Guess what? No swelling, no pain, no cough.  I had no idea what dairy was doing to me!!!

I have been having a little bit of food blahs the past couple days , wondering how I am going to keep rotating the same old veggies w/spices after Whole30 is finished and I want to continue most of the things we are doing.  I decided to experiment with at least 2 new veggie recipes a week.  Already feeling more motivated!

Is anyone using any apps or wearables for tracking exercise etc.....?

I've been using RunKeeper for years as well as Digifit.com. I use MyFitnessPal, but for these 30 days I'm not tracking any food.

I also love my FitBit for tracking steps, trying to hit 10,000 every day.

SWF - I have a Garmin Vivifit band and really love it. It tracks steps, mileage, calories burned, and a few other things so it's very much like the FitBit. I also set a goal to reach every day and it keeps me motivated to move around!

Hey everyone!

Today is day 13 and I'm feeling BLAH :(  :angry:  :wacko:  today. It seems like the weather is cold everywhere but it's 8 degrees here right now with a chance of snow tomorrow! Ugghhh!! I've been running outside so the colder it gets, the more upset I get that I either have to run in THAT cold or can't run outside! Not thrilled about this. 

So two weeks ago I did the ALCAT testing. Anyone familiar?? It's a food allergy/sensitivity test where they just take blood samples and then test it with certain things to see what causes negative reactions. I've had stomach/bloating issues for a couple years even though I eat really well so I really wanted to do this. I just got my results yesterday and what am I severely allergic too??! COFFEE and CAULIFLOWER (among several other things that I don't care as much about). This is devastating to me. Coffee, well...need I say more? And Cauliflower....this is a staple in my kitchen. Caulirice, sauces, roasted cauliflower...we probably use cauliflower in some form at least 2-3 times weekly. That is a tough one for me. So, among all the findings in this report, I really have to figure out now how to make all these tweaks to my diet. I know these seem like such little things but they are a big deal to me. I'm also severely allergic to beef. Although this isn't as devastating, we do have beef 1-2 weekly. They highly recommend ground bison (EW!!!!!!!!!!). Anyone use ground bison regularly? Is there a big difference in texture/taste?? That's going to be a difficult switch for me.

On a POSITIVE note, IT'S FRIDAY!! Friday's are my absolute favorite day of the week! I'm going to meal plan, grocery shop, prep for the weekend, yoga, and housework today. Love these days! I also just got the Well Fed and Nom Nom Paleo cookbooks yesterday and so excited to dig in to them!

As we head in to the weekend, everyone stay strong! We've got this! 

I'm also severely allergic to beef. Although this isn't as devastating, we do have beef 1-2 weekly. They highly recommend ground bison (EW!!!!!!!!!!). Anyone use ground bison regularly? Is there a big difference in texture/taste?? That's going to be a difficult switch for me.

Why EW!!!? Bison is very very close to beef. virtually identical. I find it a little softer/sweeter and very mild. Although, that said I am a lamb lover (I eat more lamb than beef) and always choose grass-fed for ruminants (beef as well) so I'm used to a stronger flavor.

Archived