Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

Hi I'm Jenny from Colorado and I just finished my first full day of the W30! I have many reasons to do this: overweight, almost type 2 diabetic, migraines, finromyalgia, sleep apnea. My body and my mind need a total overhaul. Thankfully, I happen to know that God is still in the business of dispensing miracles!

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first Whole30 and I started on November 1. 

I've had to cut out a lot of foods before starting because of some unknown food allergies. I'm really hoping that the Whole30 helps me to narrow down what it is that's giving me problems, but also helps me gain a stronger grip on food in general. I have always loved food and food in my family was always a means to celebrate and feel good.  I'm also helpful that I can learn some self-control, gratitude, and other healthy habits. 

Now, I'm looking for ways to enjoy life that don't always center around food. Thanksgiving will be a great exercise in this! :) 

Best of luck to everyone! 

Hello :-)  I am officially starting tomorrow.  I have never attempted a Whole30, although I've eaten paleo off and on for years.  I live in Minneapolis, MN and am doing this because I struggle with depression/anxiety, joint pain, and sugar cravings; I also like a good challenge!  I also really enjoy running but have felt too tired to go on a regular basis for the past several months - I'm hoping this will help me reset and give me some energy and motivation again.  I think my biggest challenges will be explaining what I'm doing to friends, family, and coworkers and fighting the sugar/grain cravings I get in the afternoon/evenings.

I'm excited for these next 30 days :-)

Thank you Shannon for the links. I think I might try the velvety butternut squash and the cranberry Waldorf salad. I am kind of looking forward to Thanksgiving now!

Day 1 down! Harder than I expected. The kids' Halloween candy was definitely calling to me too! I ate a lot but I feel good about it all.

Breakfast was fried eggs with spinach, avocado

Snack was turkey, cabbage, apple stir fry and grapes.

Lunch was cauliflower soup, turkey cabbage salsa stir fry, avocado, apple

Snack was more turkey cabbage salsa stir fry and avocado.

Ate 2 handfuls of almonds while making dinner, than had 2 fried eggs over sweet potato hash with a little bit of beef mixed in.

I guess my goal for tomorrow might be to snack less.

All my kids are sick. We are tired of chicken soup with carrots and onions. Anyone care to share their favorite sick day soup recipe?

Day 2 is done.  Waldorf Chicken salad for M1, asparagus/bacon/spinach soup, paleo fish sticks for M2, panang chicken (at a Thai restaurant) for M3.  Worked out for 30 minutes at the gym.  Did drink black coffee - I had said I was going off of coffee this month, but I used coffee to keep me from eating Halloween candy.

Day 2 done and no sugar withdrawal headache yet, despite the Halloween treats I enjoyed the day before I started. Had a great day of meals, including a BBQed pork tenderloin with balsamic Brussels sprouts. But when I was making mashed potatoes, which I rarely eat and was so looking forward to, I got chatting with my husband and put butter into the pot before I set aside my little portion that I was going to add ghee to. Boo! Oh well, another time.

Here's to a great day 3 everyone!

Day three is now done and dusted for me, feeling good, although the snack dragon was on my shoulder this afternoon while I was sitting at my desk at work! Kept drinking water and put my earphones in to listen to a podcast to distract me... It worked! I had my usually egg and veggie breakfast, leftover chicken and mushroom with broccoli for lunch, and my husband made me some nommy meatballs with roast cauliflower and broccoli and home mayonnaise for dinner.

Tomorrow is Melbourne Cup, locally (in Australia anyway lol) it's a bit of a celebration, so I've organised a special lunch at work to make your own rice paper rolls. I've got some lettuce leaves to put the fillings in and will be making all the fillings Whole30 friendly... Except the sweet chilli sauce, but I'll just take some chilli flakes instead. Will try to take some photos to show you all. Also baking brownies for a friends birthday, but won't be eating any, I feel like I'm usually pretty good with the sweet stuff now!

Hope you all have a great day 3!

Another feel-better option that is so easy: Broccoli Soup

1. Sauté a chopped onion in olive oil or ghee til limp

2. Add large fistful of rough chopped cilantro (or whatever fresh herb you favor)

3. Add two heads of broccoli florets

4. Add 4 cups vegetable broth and simmer for 15 minutes until the broccoli is soft.

5. Purée. Season with salt and pepper.

Embarrassingly simple but my four kids love it. For my kiddos, I serve with French bread for dipping and shred cheddar over the top of bowls.

Hi I'm Cat from the SF Bay Area and in my 50's. This is my first Whole 30 and it's Day1.

I lost 80 lbs with Weight Watchers in 2011-2013, but hit a wall about 30 lb short of my goal and have gained back and been fighting with the same 10 lb for over a year. I've been wanting to start a strength training program but lack the motivational spark.

So here I am, stepping up my game in a big way.

I'm no stranger to radically shifting the way I eat to improve my health, but have not found that the programs that I have tried in the past were sustainable, even when the benefits were profound. I'm hopeful here! Whole 9 living does seem doable over the long haul and the Whole 30 to jump start it all seems like great support. 

My biggest fear is the detox phase. I hope it's not too bad!

Hi everyone! Today was the first official day for me & my partner, which meant a horrible, horrible thing happened - we weighed ourselves. Cue crying & self-hatred on the part of my partner (who has been struggling with her weight for years). Oh well, at least now we know where we're starting. As for me, the scale told me more or less what I was expecting. 

Sweet potato quiche & prosciutto muffin for breakfast, with black tea. Now I'm at the office & of course, a meeting just ended with leftover donuts in the break room. Stupid office! Thanks for inviting the Sugar Dragon to build a lair just down the hall! Good thing I packed a big lunch.

Day 2 for me.  

I did a half-a**ed paleo diet a year ago, and felt great, and lost some weight.  This time, I'm going full bore - no cheating.

I'm an overweight dad of 2.95 kids (wife is due with baby #3 any day now).  My goal is to feel less achy, and lose some weight.  

Day 1 was tougher than I thought it would be.  I have a low grade headache pretty much constant.  I think it's just withdrawal from sugar.  I quit smoking 10 years ago this month, so this should be a piece of cake compared to that.

I cooked a bunch of veggies and some meats.  I'm ready.  I'm looking for more sauces to make stir fry meals taste better, and most importantly taste different.  I love spicy food, so any suggestions are welcome.

Welcome nllaeder! There are store-bought salsas that are both hot & compliant. We have one in the fridge at home - I'll check the name & get back to you.

Spicy food - well, Tabasco is compliant. In fact, I bet there are tons of store-bought hot sauces that are compliant. I also add cayenne pepper, chili flakes, or Aleppo pepper to recipes as I see fit to make 'em spicy.

Hi I'm Anne from the UK. I started my first whole 30 today Monday 3rd Nov after cutting out dairy & sugar in Sept.

Spent today making Chicken & beef stock did a meat shop at the weekend & have my first veg box being delivered tomorrow.

Biggest hurdle will be eating out & finding thing's that are easy & quick to prepare & cook as life seems to be very hectic with Grandchildren. 

Day 1 for me is, today (Nov 3rd) I attempted whole 30 last week but only lasted 10 days and ended up binging on candy and breads  :mellow: But I'm Kelsey. Im from California and I'm excited to conquer my addiction to sweets and binging on the weekends

Hurray, day two done and dusted, feel very pleased. I have a headache and it feels like it's going to be with me for a while ... Never mind I am committed to stick to this plan. Doing lots of cooking yesterday helped with today's return from work hunger pangs, that's when I am more likely to cave in.www.deliciouslyella.com has a few recipes I want to try, you need to sieve amongst all of them as some use grains.

Hi everyone,

My name is Jessica and I hail from Fresno, California.  This is my first Whole30 (starting today 11/3), friends of mine have done it and had success so I thought I would give it a try.  Mainly, my goal is to eat better and to see if my adult acne goes away while eating healthier, but I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds along the way.  I would also like to see if I have any health benefits to giving up dairy for a month.   

Cooking is not my strong suit.  My husband usually does all the cooking, but he is gone about 10 days a month.  Usually I don't eat too much when he's gone or I eat out.  But now I've got to buckle down and get my act togther and premake meals.  Yesterday I made 2 breakfast casseroles and chili with sweet potatoes.  Today I will make egg salad with W30 mayo and meatloaf with coconut flour instead of breadcrumbs.   I'm going to try to be strong and keep reminding my self that this.is.not.hard!

Hey Everybody!  My name is Julie and I live in Northern Michigan.  My husband and I began our first Whole30 Nov 1.  Shannon, thanks for the great Thanksgiving food link!  I have Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy in the crock pot today and a fridge filled with chopped veggies.  I have a big event in Chicago on Nov 15 that has me a little anxious.  Its a formal gala and the food will be difficult since we do not order off a menu.  I plan on surprising my husband with a picnic basket filled with Whole30 goodies for the hotel pre-dinner.  I even have wine glasses and LaCroix to make it festive.  Speaking of wine, that is going to be TOUGH for me.  I love having a glass of wine at dinner.  Anyone else going to miss that? So far, so good, though.  Here is the chicken and gravy recipe:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy

It's day #3. How's everyone doing? I've got my latest blog post up! http://totheboxandback.com/whole30-day-3-begins/

Checked out your blog, good stuff. Crossfit is a blast, my box has a real community spirit to it. This is my day two and a bit of a headache, my biggest challenge so far is finding something I like drinking, water just doesn't do it for me.

Checked out your blog, good stuff. Crossfit is a blast, my box has a real community spirit to it. This is my day two and a bit of a headache, my biggest challenge so far is finding something I like drinking, water just doesn't do it for me.

Did you drink a lot of soda before? Or caffeine? I know when I went cold turkey on my soda consumption, headaches were bad. I switched to green tea. The other thing to make sure is your water intake. Too little can cause headaches as well.

I started today!  
I had a baby 4 months ago, I'm breastfeeding and I'm up 10 pounds from before pregnancy.  I'm feeling a huge difference in energy/ mood when I eat really well, so I want to take that to the next level with the Whole 30.  I am mostly vegetarian, so I will be having some lentils.  I'm excited to feel great and fuel myself with healthy food! 

Did you drink a lot of soda before? Or caffeine? I know when I went cold turkey on my soda consumption, headaches were bad. I switched to green tea. The other thing to make sure is your water intake. Too little can cause headaches as well.

Lots of soda and those crystal light packages that you drop into water. I'll have to try the green tea.

nllaeder - I love spicy things too! Quite a few hot sauces are W30 compliant (like Franks Red Hot), but read the labels, sometimes the same brand has some which are and some not. Louisiana has compliant ones too, great with pulled pork. If you like asian food, sichuan pepper is awesome if you can get it locally, as are compliant thai curry pastes like Aroy-D.

I actually have a headache today, so had sweet potato with breakfast. Need to drink more today I think.

Archived