Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

Hey everyone!
Today is day 15 for me - almost half way there. Some days are a little rough with all of the planning and prepping, but it really keeps me accountable. And though I do miss chocolate sometimes, it is really nice to not feel the need for it in the same way as before. 
Before starting whole30 I craved something sweet after every meal. So happy it isn't the same way anymore. It is so freeing to eat a meal and then be done with it - then go 4-5 hours before eating again. I feel so normal ;) haha. 

I can relate to you guys' thoughts on continuing past the 30 days, but maybe a little less strict whole30 - but that's more for flexibility. Like going out to eat or eating at someone else's. But I really love the way it makes me feel to eat three square meals and day and not just grazing all day. 

Jess - my skin is feeling much softer too! Like babyskin almost! haha :) But definitely not complaining. 

Lauren - They write that for some maybe a whole60 or a whole90 is necessary, before things really change. But I think you should have had some effects by now though? Then again if you had trouble sleeping since being a teenager, it will probably take a lot of time before becoming better? Idk. 

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laurenjessany, I also am waiting for the tiger blood/awesome sleep to happen, while there has been improvements, I was hoping for more.  Magnesium definitely helps.

Day 25!  While the first two weeks on Whole30 I was dreaming about what I would have on Day 31 (HUGE glass of wine with brie!) those cravings are gone!  People at my work have noticed I have lost weight and one person said my skin was glowing :D !

I am already planning on doing another Whole30 in the early spring  (with my sister), and eating paleo-style until then.

Day 28...went to a friend's get together last night and she always makes wonderful snacks. She had prepared a few "gluten-free" things for me, but I told her I still couldn't have them and that the Perrier was fine--that's all I had planned on having anyway. She said, "I don't know why you torture yourself like this!" I just laughed and said, "I don't! I love what I'm eating!" Sigh.

Happy Thanksgiving to my neighbours to the south! Enjoy your family and friends, the food is just an added bonus. :)

I really wish I had kept some sort of journal so I could look back on how I was feeling etc. I was so anxious to get started on the program that I skipped over all the written "exercises."  I find that however I feel is my new normal so although I don't think I am feeling any differently I know that is not true.  For example I am not in a sugar coma but late afternoon, stumbling through the evening until bed time.  I .m not thinking about food constantly or living with the guilt and shame that come from bingeing and being out of control when it comes to sugar.    I am so glad I signed up for the daily emails and that this forum exists - it's so nice to hear what others are doing and to be part of a community.

Last night I was with our annual Thanksgiving crowd at my sister-in-laws house and they brought in tons of take out from Cheesecake Factory AND there was all sorts of pie baking going on (there is a professional chef in the family and he is of course an incredible cook.)  I wasn't sure how to handle the whole eating thing - was trying to decide between not eating or bringing something of my own.  I decided the best thing was to bring my dinner and I did all the prep before hand and just had two containers.  I made "zoodles" and the sunshine sauce and had some leftover chicken.  I was quickly able to make "pad thai" and join everyone at the table.  With 20 people chatting etc. no-one seemed to notice I was not having the same food.  When I asked my husband about the food from Cheesecake Factory he said "it was okay - truthfully your dinner looked better" which is hilarious because he doesn't eat veggies or nuts of any kind (well unless one counts a Snickers bar!)  When we got home I had a banana with a bit of almond butter and did not regret not eating any of the pie.

I truthfully don't see a difference in my skin or the way my clothes fit but I have cheated and weighed myself so I know that I have lost 10 pounds.  I know we are not supposed to focus on a number but I sensed I was mentally preparing myself to quit because there doesn't seem to be any changes; seeing that some weight has been lost actually really helped me stay committed.  Reading the blog and forums helps remind me that I have years of bad eating choices to undo and this is not meant to be a quick fix.  That's one of the reasons I am extending past 30 days - I know that I have not yet replaced my unhealthy habits with better ones.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating!

On this Thanksgiving Day I want to thank everyone who has stuck around this forum. I am grateful to have this tool to help me stay on track.

Why I am thankful for the whole30:

I no longer wake up exhausted.

I can make it through the day without a nap. I don't think it's tiger blood so much as I am no longer so freaking tired all the time.

My gut is happy, not angry all the time (didn't really realize how unhappy it was before).

If I don't eat for a few hours I no longer get all shaky and light headed.

I feel comfortable eating in front of my family. I'm not ashamed of what I'm eating.

I feel good feeding this food to my family. Last night my veggies-hating son happily ate Bunny Soup from Paleo Parents!

I am much more aware of what I am feeding the people around me. When my junk-food loving in-laws asked me to pick up groceries, I also picked up some fruit and quality meat for them.

My arms don't fall asleep all night long (I think I had gotten so fat I was cutting off circulation!)

Because I feel good about the food choices I am making (for myself and my family), I feel better about myself.

I am losing weight, and I look better.

Last night I looked through some photos from this summer. I went to the wedding of a college friend, and of course my other old friends were there. That was the heaviest they had ever seen me, and I was ashamed. Looking at those pictures makes me cringe. No more! I also updated my profile pic on Facebook. I have been too embarrassed to update it for the last year. Now my face isn't so puffy so I feel more confident about having my pic taken.

Happy Thanksgiving fellow Americans, and to everyone else, have a great day!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone in the US! I posted on here 2 days ago, but for some reason replies didn't come to my email so I though no one had responded :( so I went back to posting on my other thread...but Y'all are still alive here! Awesome!

I am still committed to posting a quick food list daily, I don't have time to keep a separate food log, and I'd really appreciate the accountability.

Yesterday was a marathon baking day for me. 24 dozen cookies (no exaggeration) for gifts and 4 batches of dinner rolls for Thanksgiving (yes, we have a large extended family).

I don't like baking really, so this = stress, not entertainment, for me. Especially with all my kiddoes underfoot. But I'm super proud of myself for staying out of everything, including the apple dumplings the kids decided they wanted to make to go with their movie night. By comparison, today should be easy :)

I'm so glad it sounds like many of you are planning on continuing this through the holidays. I'm 100% committed. I will keep posting as long as there's life out there!

Yesterday my food was

Hamburger with red sauce

Meatballs and a large green salad

Pork chops and apples and broccoli

Snack WAY too much dried fruit (homemade, no sugar) while the kids were eating apple dumplings. Not very happy about that, but I was tired, and tired of watching other people eat treats....

I'm actually kind of excited to be approaching the holidays with a set of parameters the pretty much forces me to take my focus off food as entertainment, and instead focus on enjoying the people and the activities themselves. Previously, so much of my focus has been food related, and then, disappointment in myself and frustration in retrospect.

Good luck to everyone, and have a wonderful day wherever you are!

Ok so I joined up on the 22 and today being thanksgiving I was hopeful but unsure of my resolve until this morning. I have felt so good during these 6 days that I now an sure food has been making me sick. There is no doubt. Today I feel stronger mentally and physically than I have in years. I find the whole 30 approved list of foods more than I could hope for. It took a few days for the thought of sugar to leave my side but I can say I can't imagine eating it and going back to that sluggish feeling and those old intestinal issues. I am pooping normally for the first time in 20 years - no kidding. This is a big deal and those with my old issues understand immediately what this means. No more fear of leaving the house too early or being caught on the road! You guys know what I mean and if you don't then you are lucky because you have not had to go through years of saying no to opportunities where the bathroom is not in plain sight especially if food is involved in the activity! I use to blame my body but now I know it was the foods I fed my body that caused my distress and yes at times embarrassment. Shame on me. Today- thanksgiving- I am looking forward to one more healthy whole 30 meal.

I have even started cooking for myself after 30 years of ordering out or having junk. Guess what I like to cook! It's fun and it is easy to follow the whole 30 recipes I find on the website. I am still looking for the rooibos tea if Amy one know a large grocery that may have it in Texas. Otherwise I will buy it online.

Happy thanks giving to all. I wish you the best, healthiest day you can have! What was fear when I started this plan 5 days before thansgiving and what is also the anniversary of my moms death is now JOY and Freedom to choose to be the best me I can be.

I'm out guy's!!  Made it to Day 17 and that will do for a first timer :)  I just couldn't carry on being hungry all the time.  It took me two days before I had some non compliant food lol... I had porridge for my breakfast!!  Today I had a sandwich with white bread that I believed I missed.  It wasn't all that great, I missed nothing!  Anyways, I'm still off the sugar and I plan to stay that way a little longer.  I'm still enjoying the coconut milk in my coffee so no need for cows milk.  I'm still cooking in ghee and coconut oil and making everything from scratch.  I definately lost a couple of pounds, my pjs are falling off me :o  

I'll return to this again after Christmas.  Going to make a little book for myself of all the recipes I like and do a bit more research.

Good luck to you all and well done!  oh and thanks for all the wonderful support :) 

Happy Thanksgiving from all the way over here in Ireland and see you all in the new year xxx

Today is day 11 for me.  I've been finding that days that I'm off work (like today) are really hard.  I have my food prepped for my work week and eat pretty much the same thing every day and that works for me.  But on my days off, I don't want to eat the same thing, and I really crave snacks like rice crackers and especially chocolate.  I'm kind of second guessing why this is so important for me to keep doing.  My digestion has already improved practically completely.  I know I can't properly digest dairy (already knew about gluten), and that I don't want to rely on grains every day.  I used to eat a lot of beans, as I mostly ate a plant-based diet, but I don't want to go back to doing that either.  I don't particularly like eating so much meat, but my body has responded well.  Maybe I'm missing processed food - because a lot of things have grains in them.  I miss sugary things.  That's probably why I should keep going... but even if I make it 30 days, will that really change my cravings for sugar?

Hi in_kemmer- I wish I could tell you that in 30 days you wont crave sugary things but I think everyone is different. Im on day 25 and my cravings are definitely going down. When I reintroduce sugar, I will definitely have to watch how I react. Sugar is tricky because I think once you start eating it again, you will start to crave more. I think some people can handle a little while others cant. I am not a nutritionist or a moderator so it is just my opinion. I think thats why you do it for 30 days so you can reintroduce foods and see the reaction. I looove sugar but I have turned down chocolate and cookies without a second thought. I think if im going to have something like that, it is going to have to be special, I.e. a treat, not an everyday thing. Keep going, you will notice a difference!

Hello everyone. Day 24 for me. I got past the sugar cravings, but that's because I had to go have my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday. The painkillers have been messing with my appetite. Thanksgiving was whole30 compliant, so glad my grandparents were willing to accommodate my needs, but since I had to turn my food into mush, staying compliant was even easier. The only bummer is that the last week of my whole30 will be a lot of baby food and I had planned on some new meals. It's not the end of the world. I may just stay whole30 for a few more days.

Hi Anastacia, I think there are a handful of us that are planning on going past 30 days as well.

How did everyone do with their Thanksgiving feasts?  I walked into my in-laws' house and got a whiff of my mil's stuffing.  mmmm..... but I stayed strong!  I only wished I had made a third side dish.  All I had was turkey, Velvety Butternut Squash, and Cranberry Waldorf Salad.  It just wasn't as satisfying without anything green!

Hey everyone! I started this week and half. I have no allergies but I am tired of being tired all the time since I used to be very very active I want to be able to pick up on my cycling like before I want to go out and explore the streets of where I go and not feel exhausted. Hope this helps, although there are many temptations I am committed to finish the 30 days and keep doing it for as long as I want. 

Wow, so I haven't logged in for a while, been busy cooking and sticking with the plan.

I'm so sorry to hear about the the people who have had to drop out, hopefully you can get back to it or find what works best for you!!

Last weekend was where I knew I would have some issues, going away for the weekend, luckily I was able to make a lot of our meals still, and chose really well while out, heaps of seafood and salads!

Everyone in the family has been suffering from a gastro bug, and while I thought I was getting it, it all seemed to pass really quickly without any real symptoms, I'm thinking the lack of grains/sugar/dairy may have just starved the bugs off in me....

Hope those of you in the USA had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and managed to stay compliant.

I can't believe I only have 2 days left... well 4 actually because I'm staying the plan till Wednesday when I get some blood tests done and see how I am really tracking before I think about re-introducing anything else :)

Keep going if you can, I'm feeling really great, don't think I've seen any weight loss, but the feeling I have and energy is a great start!

Day 26!!! I cannot believe I have made this far. Today at school we were making crumpets with butter for the kids and ice cream cones. Wasnt bothered by the ice cream but toasted bread with melted butter...it smelled good. But didnt give in...I wasnt even hungry..just wanted it because it looked good! Just goes to show how easy it is to mindlessly eat because its there. And I would had a piece if I wasnt doing whole 30. It reminded me of all the times I just ate something little here and there and then thought it didnt count. Kind of why I want to go past thirty days! Positives- I have had chocolate, chips, cookies, cheese in my house at various points throughout this but havent touched it. Im beginning to learn that I dont have to have it because its there...I say beginning because I feel like im getting to this realization slowly and I need more practice saying no! Hope those that celebrate Thanksgiving had a good one and survived Black Friday :) Interesting or rather disturbing sidenote...there are now Black Friday sales in the UK...why???? Anyways, I will have a test tomorrow...im making Xmas cookies with my nephew! Wish me luck :)

Hey Everybody: So glad I'm not the only newer person on this thread. I'm on day 10. I did make it through Thanksgiving just fine. When I got home though (we were visiting with extended family) I had the munchies and way over indulged in dried fruit and nuts, my nemesis. All in all though, although it wasn't perfect, I'm proud of myself. One thing I'm noticing with the sugary treats: as I looked at all the pies and cookies yesterday, I realized that even if I was "allowed" to have a serving of something, I would never be satisfied with it. I would want to eat lots of pie and lots of cookies, and pretty much nothing else. For me, sugar kind of turns off my body's ability to eat normally and makes only sugary stuff (or other high carb items like stuffing) look good. In a sense, allowing myself some sugar robs me of the ability to enjoy anything BUT sugar. Interesting insight and another reason why this is so important. I may never be a person who can eat much high carb stuff.

I also noticed that I'm not drinking enough water and I think the thirst makes me crave carbs more.

NCG27, I'll be curious to see how it goes with the cycling. I'm a rather avid cyclist and I'm actually taking some time off riding as I start this, because I figure the frustration of floundering and posting really bad times as my body adjusts to fat burning will not help me stick with it :) But I'm going to ease back into it in a week or so.

Everybody else, good luck and carry on!

My food for yesterday, as I said, was far, far from ideal.

Eggs and homemade sausage w/ green salad

Turkey, greens beans w/ bacon and onions

Mixed veggies

LOTS of olives

way too much raw almonds and organic raisins

homemade dried peaches.

Stravajunkie: ha! I am American and living in the UK and I was horrified! Then I found out Walmart owns a grocery chain over here...then I was more horrified :) corporate greed indeed! Its such a shame because pretty much every town or city has a market year round in addition to farmers markets almost every weekend and butchers everywhere but they are starting to crumble because of supermarket chains...so sad because I love this about the UK!

stravajunkie - I have the same exact issue with sugar!  I am never, ever satisfied when I eat cakes and goodies - it just sets off a non-stop sugar/carb fest.  I am going to try to NOT reintroduce sugar back in to my diet.  I may even ban fake sugars.  When I tried low-carb I ended up living off of cheese cake made with Splenda - not the healthiest way to eat:)  I am pretty sure that I would start the same nonsense if I could (I am planning to add dairy back in at some point - as of now I am trying to stay on plan past the 30 day mark.)

Jess - I always love your posts:)  It is such a shame that the worst of the U.S. (and I'm thinking of the stores and companies that promote unhealthy lifestyles) are making their way to other countries and obliterating all the local, unique shops and ways of life.  I still read Swedish magazines and I am so sorry to see ads for ready-made foods (although I assume the ingredients are better) and more and more diet articles.  

This is day 24 for me and I am having the worst struggle with cravings.  I wonder if it is because I was exposed to so many pies and ice cream treats yesterday that my willpower muscles are fatigued.  I've also been grouchier that normal which may be normal holiday aggravation or may be related to my eating changes.  One of the daily emails talked about an extinction burst in the final days.....maybe that's what I am experiencing?

I did get a lot of praise for my "discipline" during Thanksgiving from extended family.  Unfortunately it was followed by the usual comments about how beautiful I used to be, etc.  At least my mother-in-law wasn't there this year.  She has absolutely no filter (and is obsessed with being thin) so it doesn't take long before she blurts out "you have GOT to lose weight" or even "I was looking at old photos and you were so gorgeous" followed by the previous quote.  

Part of my "baggage" is not wanting to be the kind of person who obsesses over every calorie and perseverates about food.   And the truth is that I love, love, love to eat so it's not really in my nature to be "that person" anyway.  However, my relationship with food has been so unhealthy and really shameful (am I the only one who thinks a sleeve of girl scout cookies = a serving?) that I knew I needed to do something completely out of my comfort zone.  I'm actually pretty shocked that I've made it this far and how I am not constantly thinking about food.

Heatherglick: I am glad you enjoy my long rambling posts! I am sorry that you even have to hear comments like you used to be beautiful. Beauty is not about being thin and thin doesnt always equal healthy. I find that unhappy people say rude, hurtful things to make others feel like they do. I also find happy people want others to be happy and try to help and support others. Sounds corny but I feel its true. Half of the people I know have unhealthy relationships with food...myself included...eating too little, too much, feeling guilty, etc. At least you are trying to work on it and aware and you have made it this far...not many do :) Cravings are natural..I have had them on the best of days.

And dont get me started on Girl Scout cookies...I havent bought them in years because I would demolish them!! Seriously why are they called Thin Mints..I get it, they are "small", but I just think "great, I can have more". How does one eat just two thin mints?? Not me!

Hi Group,

I started 14 days ago ..however could not give up on milk in my coffee. Otherwise have been ontrack.   Its been great, noticed that the inflamation in my sprained ankle has subsided and I have been pain free for the whole 14 days.  Feeling great, empowered and bright and bushy tailed....HOWEVER..yesterday had a fight with croissant and it won. Result... today Ihave the migraine from H_ _ L ... absolutely dying.

Is it possible that it is because of this little moment of weakness?    

Hi Group,

I started 14 days ago ..however could not give up on milk in my coffee. Otherwise have been ontrack. Its been great, noticed that the inflamation in my sprained ankle has subsided and I have been pain free for the whole 14 days. Feeling great, empowered and bright and bushy tailed....HOWEVER..yesterday had a fight with croissant and it won. Result... today Ihave the migraine from H_ _ L ... absolutely dying.

Is it possible that it is because of this little moment of weakness?

Welcome! Hmmm, a croissant and daily milk is sort of, well, completely noncompliant. The migraine could be from the wheat. Are you planning to start over?

Heatherglick: I am glad you enjoy my long rambling posts! I am sorry that you even have to hear comments like you used to be beautiful. Beauty is not about being thin and thin doesnt always equal healthy. I find that unhappy people say rude, hurtful things to make others feel like they do. I also find happy people want others to be happy and try to help and support others. Sounds corny but I feel its true. Half of the people I know have unhealthy relationships with food...myself included...eating too little, too much, feeling guilty, etc. At least you are trying to work on it and aware and you have made it this far...not many do :) Cravings are natural..I have had them on the best of days.

And dont get me started on Girl Scout cookies...I havent bought them in years because I would demolish them!! Seriously why are they called Thin Mints..I get it, they are "small", but I just think "great, I can have more". How does one eat just two thin mints?? Not me!

Be thankful you don't have a Girl Guide living in your house! I think we're on our fourth or fifth box of cookies. Thank goodness I've been doing W30 for 2 of the 3 months they've been in the house. I'll have to do another W30 in the spring when the chocolate and vanilla cookies come out!

KayKay: yes I am thankful that I dont have to face that! I think that qualifies as mental torture :) I thought it was a once a year thing not multiple times!! You are impressive!

Day 27- went to crossfit this morning...it was awesome! Really enjoyed it today even though it kicked my butt! Didnt have a whole 30 pre-workout meal :( I woke up and just wanted a banana and coffee with coconut cream. I havent had a banana in weeks...tasted like heaven! But I did notice I wanted another right after...oh sugar why cant you be nicer?? Did some dishes and the craving passed in ten minutes. Had a totally compliant meal after running some errands but no post workout meal. Not great in terms of following the template but i feel good so i am going with that!

Another observation: i have been keeping my caffeine consumption to the morning but yesterday had a cup of coffee around 4:00. I woke up at 5:30 this morning. I have been sleeping through the night so I am not going to do that again. I used to drink caffeine around the clock. Maybe thats why I had trouble sleeping? Duh! And I feel like my anxiety levels have gone down. Thanks whole 30!! Three more days...still dont know what I want to add back and toying with the idea of extending it three more days. But im not putting pressure on myself past the thirty days. Just going to go with what feels right!

Archived