Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

Hi Josie C! Welcome! Sorry to hear about the croissant battle; doesnt sound pretty! I know all about milk in coffee or tea...love love love it. But I gave it up just to see and remain compliant on the plan. If I can do it, you can do it...seriously. I wont bore with how much coffee/tea I drank before but it was not good! Use this time and try to do without it. Cut back or go cold turkey...then start from day 1 completely compliant. Sounds harsh and strict and before I started this I would have said how much of a difference can a little milk make? Now, I have a different perspective. Just try it...milk will still be there after its over and its thirty days only. And a croissant and daily milk will constitute a restart. You feel better already..imagine how you will feel giving up dairy!! Try it and keep us posted :)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Josie,

I second what Jess said. I remember the first time I ate a whole30 compliant breakfast, and man did my stomach feel different! I always drank milk in my coffee too, and that first morning I remember feeling satisfied but not heavy in my stomach. A good feeling! I drink coconut milk in my coffee now. It takes so getting used to, but it can be very satisfying.

Mmmm, thin mints.... Haven't had those in years! But I used to love to eat them straight out if the freezer.

I thought yesterday would be a big test, but in the end, everything was fine. Hubby's grandma brought out her thanksgiving pies and cakes since she couldn't come the day before. She brought a pie right up to my house and said, "now we can have a treat! ". Eep! So I just dished up pie for all four kids, and my son took seconds, so she either didn't notice I wasn't eating or she didn't care. She is one if those people who enjoys feeding other people and gets offended when you don't eat her food. Luckily we only see her about once a month.

Last night though I started craving some chocolate right after reading an email from a family member. We are trying to do a project all together (my family plus hubby's family) and even though it is something I have pushed for, the idea of going through all the work is stressing me out. I just want everyone to be happy, but time after time I am learning that's impossible. So interesting to me that it was such an immediate trigger. I definitely used to binge when faced with family issues. Now I need a better way to manage my stress. Ideas?

2babies2kidsmom: yes!! I have that immediate reaction to stress. And no you cannot make everyone happy! Im a stress ball and a worrier. Yoga has helped me immensely...even little things like breathing. Take 10 deep breaths in and out your nose...it actually helps. Take a bath, meditate, light candles, listen to music, read a magazine (nothing heavy), take a walk. But yoga is my number one...you dont need a studio, you can get a dvd! Plus it helps you sleep better!

Well, it looks like I'm in good company. Heatherglick, I absolutely agree on the 1 sleeve = 1 serving. That's why I think it's just easier for me to stay away from sugar. Ditto on the sugar replacers too. What I notice if that if I start with something "healthy"-even tea with lots of honey-I want something a little sweeter. Which turns to some trail mix, then I think, oh hell, that's so much carbs and I still want something sweet...so why not a cookie? Well, we already covered how many cookies equal a serving :) Sweets are not my friend.

2babies2kidsmom, I can relate to the stress thing. We have 6 kids and kid/extended family stress is often what does me in. I notice I just get "twitchy" for lack of a better description. I want to munch-kind of as a way to hide from the chaos and worry. And because of the kiddoes, I often don't have the option to leave for a walk, or stretch or whatever. I have really been working on how to respond to this (constant) problem the last couple years. What I find works is 1) firmly fix in my mind the soonest time I CAN do one of the helpful type things jess in the UK mentioned. Sometimes it's another hour, sometimes it's "this evening" but it seems to help to firmly tell myself that I WILL be able to get outside by myself for an hour, just not right this second. 2) I find it helps me A LOT to get my hands busy. I crochet (horribly-but I still enjoy it) and that's something I can do while supervising homework or whatever. Or tidy up something, like a messy cupboard, which gives me a mini endorphin rush and gets my mind on something constructive, or draw, or practically anything. I think because the 'hand to mouth' munching thing is what I used to use to relax, getting my darn hands busy with something else is helpful. Don't know if that makes sense.

Yesterday was much better for me, a way less chaotic day.

B = an apple

L = broccoli salad and hamburger (I know it sounds like I eat A LOT of hamburger :) we raise our own beef, so our burger is pretty much the best on the planet)

D = beef and vegetable stew

Today will be very challenging, I have a very, mega high stress project all day. My goal is to bring a good lunch and have something really tasty lined up for dinner to look forward to so I stay out of the snacks.

Good luck everyone!

I haven't gotten into a consistent routine with yoga but I do think it is a wonderful activity to add.  Although I loved the cathartic feeling I would get after hot yoga the actual poses actually made my joint pain/back problems worse.  But I totally get how people can get hooked on it - even if all you do is stay in the room you feel like you've done a really challenging work out!

I recently heard of a website called Yogaglo:

http://www.yogaglo.com/

As best I understand it is a huge database of yoga videos so that you can practice from home or on the road. You can search by type of yoga, length, problems or areas you want to work on.  I saw that they had things like a 15 minute relaxation practice to do before bed.  There is a monthly fee (I think it's around $15) but you can do a free two week trial.  

In addition to following this forum I also find the Whole 9 blog posts and the Instagram photos really inspiring.  I wouldn't say I do it to relax but it really helps when I am feeling stressed or discouraged with my progress.  

Thanks for the yogaglo suggestion Heather. I will check it out.

Spent all afternoon feeling sorry for myself. This happens a lot when I'm trying to take care of myself. I get a good thing going and then this little voice in my head starts telling me I'll never finish this, might as well give in, I've made bad choices with my life and chocolate is the only thing I can count on to make me feel good. Wow, just writing that out makes it sound so silly! Another problem I think is the past three days I have eaten at least four servings of fruit per day, and that totally messes with my blood sugar. Need to stop that right now!

I spoke with a good friend today whose mom died about a year ago. Her mom was probably 60 when she died, but she did not take care of herself at all, in any way, for at least 15 years before her death. I don't want to be that way. I want to take care of myself. I want to live.

Tonight I tried a new recipe that was surprisingly good. It is Lemon Artichoke Pesto Chicken over spaghetti Squash. http://kosherfood101.wordpress.com/2014/01/08/whole30-day-3-dinner-breakfast/. I definitely recommend it.

Yesterday I made Creamed Spinach from Paleo Comfort Foods. It was alright. A new way to eat frozen spinach anyway.

2babies2kids - I totally get what you are feeling - I do the same thing whenever I embark on a diet or otherwise try to take better care of myself.  It's the same thing addicts do when they are trying to stay sober (I know because I have a family member who is a heroin addict and when he was living with me after rehab I was trying to figure out if he was using again.)  I found a list of the "excuses" addicts come up with to justify returning to substance abuse.  The list was exactly the same things I do to justify really bad eating choices and lifestyle decisions.  BTW - I followed my own advice and set up a yogaglo account and just did a 5 minute relaxation.   I am going to try to do 5-10 minutes a day for the next two weeks and decided if I want to continue as a paying member.  It works out to 50 cents a day so I think if I use it it will be worth the money.

I found a chili recipe on the whole9 blog that I made for dinner tonight.  It had cocoa and other spices and I had it over spaghetti squash for dinner.  I also saw a Thai soup recipe that I am going to make tomorrow.

My 30 days ends next Saturday (the 6th) but I am planning to continue for a while still.  I am not sure how many days it would be until January 12 (my 51st birthday!) but I am toying with the idea of staying compliant until then.  I decided that this 50th year was my time to really focus on myself so it seems fitting to stay on the program until then:)

We had a great whole30 Thanksgiving.  I made nomnompaleo's spatchcocked turkey; paleo stuffing with italian sausage and veggies; sweet potatoes with orange juice and pecans.  For my paleo family I made paleo pecan pie and paleo pumpkin pie.  All in all, the food was delicious.

2babies2kidsmom: You are definitely not alone. Sugar is an addiction; a real addiction. It makes us feel good momentarily then you crave more just like hard drugs. I think we are all here because of distorted eating patterns in some way. Personally, mine started as a teenager so its been twenty years! Eating too little, too much, lots of sugar, exercise to compensate, it is a vicious cycle! It was not 20 years straight but patterns have been set. Take what you learned and keep going. Dont be hard on yourself because you are actually making a huge commitment to living! It is going to take time to change the mindset of "I cant do this". We are all going to probably have moments of sugar overload after this but what matters is what we learn from it. Do it for yourself because you matter :)

2babies2kidsmom: You are definitely not alone. Sugar is an addiction; a real addiction. It makes us feel good momentarily then you crave more just like hard drugs. I think we are all here because of distorted eating patterns in some way. Personally, mine started as a teenager so its been twenty years! Eating too little, too much, lots of sugar, exercise to compensate, it is a vicious cycle! It was not 20 years straight but patterns have been set. Take what you learned and keep going. Dont be hard on yourself because you are actually making a huge commitment to living! It is going to take time to change the mindset of "I cant do this". We are all going to probably have moments of sugar overload after this but what matters is what we learn from it. Do it for yourself because you matter :)

So well said, Jess!

I am definitely here because of a sugar addiction. Right before my first W30 I had 4 packs of gum on the go at all times, and drank most of my water with either sweetened BCAAs or some water-flavourer like Mio. It was bad. And yet all of it was "sugar-free" so I thought I was fine. But my sugar dragon was still on a rampage.

Today is my day 30. Anyone else? I went to yoga this morning and really reflected on the past month. My sugar dragon has not been completely slain, but he's lost a lot of strength and hold over me. I plan to do a proper reintroduction this time, but I'm really afraid of that slippery sugar slope! It sounds like a lot of folks will be here for a while longer, so I'll be by for, and to offer, support! Best wishes to everyone -- whether you're just starting, or nearing the end.

Congratulations KayKay!!!

I have two more days and I feel like I am rebelling a bit. I had coffee first thing and didnt eat until hours later...oops. I felt a little blah the rest of the day so who am I rebelling against exactly? Myself? Ummm why? Interesting realization. I did this to establish healthier eating patterns, stop relying on sugar, better sleeping, and more energy. I didnt do it to lose weight because I dont need to and I just dont care anymore what number is on the scale. I feel like I am much closer to reaching the goals I set. Funny when I started, I thought I couldnt make it thirty days. Now, it feels like it was such a small amount of time and in a way I dont want it to end because I really feel like I still have more to learn. By the way, I made Xmas cookies with my nephew last night and my husband said they were the best cookies I have ever made. But I couldnt taste them! Oh the evil irony!!!

Day 30 for me, too! Wahooooooo!!!!  Tomorrow is my husband's birthday so we will be off roading a bit.  I will keep you posted as to how I feel after.  I HATE lemon cake from a box, which is his favorite, thank goodness, so no temptation there for me.  I made a menu for all next week which is completely Whole30 so I plan to try very hard to continue this lifestyle.  I have not felt this good in probably 20 years, so I have GREAT incentive to keep at it.  

To those of you who are still journeying, I encourage you to find some fun new recipes to get you through the final days/weeks.  It helps a lot, and every additional dish you make/enjoy can be added to your post Whole30 rotation!

Keep it up, everyone!!!! 

Yay for jgreene and Kaykay! Tomorrow is my day 30. Also is a family member's birthday and I am making a pie from scratch. But I am okay with not eating it. I can't believe I have made it this far! Today was a really good day. Ate three square meals, only snack was some pecans after dinner. Managed to keep my fruit to two servings. It helped that we were super busy all day.

Congrats jgreene!! And 2babies, it's now 12:10am, so it's tomorrow. Congrats on your last day!

I feel like this week of slow reintroductions might be harder than the last four. First up will be dairy. I'm sticking to black coffee at home, but man oh man, I can't wait to have some cream in my work coffee!

Hi again, I posted on this thread in the hope of getting support and motivation, however I received a rather chastising comment from a fellow blogger which I felt was demeaning and harsh. Allowing myself one coffee a day with milk hardly deserves such berating and words like “non-compliant” should not be used to quash any hope that fellow followers might possess.

I am very very proud of my achievements on this program; I have been faced with a Christmas party every day for the past week, laden with sweets, cake, biscuits and chips. Soft drink and alcohol, I have resisted every single item, except for one croissant. I was drinking up to 5-6 coffees a day, now down to 1 milk coffee a day.  So really...is this what you call “non-compliant” or would you almost think it’s pretty good??  

I thought that part of this journey was about awakening to eating behaviours and relationship with food.

I feel that if feedback can’t be given in a positive manner, opinions  should be kept to yourself because one little comment like the one given can de-rail even the strongest person.

To answer your question, yes I am back on track!

Welcome! Hmmm, a croissant and daily milk is sort of, well, completely noncompliant. The migraine could be from the wheat. Are you planning to start over?

So really...is this what you call “non-compliant” or would you almost think it’s pretty good??  

Josie. I'm sorry that you felt berated and beaten down by KayKay's comment, but she was right. The whole30 does not allow for almost. It sounds like you are doing Josie's plan (which is an awesome plan, by the way, and quite healthy) but is not the whole30. The whole30 is not like any "diet" you have ever done, and these little concessions (milk in your coffee, croissant, etc.) matter. A big part of the plan is the "elimination" component. By eliminating problematic foods for 30 days you get to find out how they effect you by reintroducing them one by one. You haven't gone without dairy, so you can't reintroduce it, and you will not know if dairy causes issues for your body.

The good news is you have changed your eating for the better, and if you someday choose to do a true whole30, including 100% compliance, you will have a much easier time because you are so so close to it already. It is possible to be proud of how far you have come but to also recognize that there is room to grow. 

Josie, I'm so sorry if you think I was berating you! I wasn't at all! But as missmary confirmed, those foods are just not compliant. That doesn't mean you aren't doing awesome! You should feel successful for the healthy changes you've made, absolutely. But some people start over for accidentally tasting a food with one noncompliant ingredient. I wasn't sure what your plan was when you mentioned those foods. That's all. Best of luck, and I hope you stick around.

Good day all - I started on the 10th, so I'm a way's behind - just wondering if there are others in this thread somewhere around day 21?  We had a nice little thread of 11/10 starters going for awhile, but in the last week all of my mates seem to have jumped ship!    I made it through Thanksgiving so I'm feeling pretty invincible right now, but I need some folks to celebrate my daily successes with!   

Hope you all had a GREAT holiday!

Wow - so proud of all of us - 2babies2kids on her day 30!  abigayle and others for making it through Thanksgiving.  

Here's an insight I recently had after returning from Thanksgiving dinner.  I realized that I always feel like an "outsider" in subtle ways.  For example, where every woman at our Thanksgiving dinner was super skinny, fit and disciplined I have never been in that "group."  I love them and have great relationships but I can't help but feel "other."  This made me start to dig into other ways I feel outside of the norm and a lot of times those feelings are related to the way I eat.  Normally I would come home from a holiday dinner and feel bad about how much dessert I ate (and quite possibly the wine I drank).  I would make a decision to eat better the next day but before bed I would back in the kitchen raiding the pantry.  This is the first time I've (ever!!) followed the rules of a program without making exceptions.  I feel really good about the experience because I'm not weighed down with guilty feelings for not being disciplined enough to work through hard times and I love feeling part of the group since I am playing by the same rules as everyone else:)

Good for everyone on their successes!!! Abigayle: I salute you for making it through Thanksgiving! Im on Day 29 but still thinking about going some extra days...im on the fence. This morning I wasnt hungry nor did I honestly want to eat but I couldnt eat lunch until noon so I had two eggs and some veg and I was full until lunch so that worked for me. Im not thinking about food unless im hungry and there is nothing I want. I thought I would really want milk and sugar in my coffee/tea when I finished but now im not so sure...regardless im doing it again in January!!!!

Congratulations to all of us, and if you are still on this journey for a few days longer, best wishes! Day 30 is over for me! I will continue for a few more days ... There isn't any food I really miss at the moment ... So we ll see! Thank you all, you have been great companions.

Heather- great insight! You are feeling better about yourself because you are making good choices!

Woohoo day 30! Man I feel proud! But I don't want to quit now, I feel like I've just gotten on a roll. Excited to weigh myself tomorrow.

Tonight I made a birthday pie for my hubby and while I did want to eat it while I was assembling it, when it came time to cut it I really didn't miss it. We had a nice time, just us and the two big kids. I haven't been able to sit and enjoy a meal in so long, because of the twins. So maybe that's what made it so special.

Now, I have a dilemma. On Wednesday I have a potluck to attend. It's a group of older ladies in the community, and there probably won't be more than ten ladies there. I had planned in making butternut squash soup and meatballs, but I really don't feel like explaining my food choices to these ladies. I kind of don't really want to go but know I would have a good time once I was there. I really haven't had a big tests like this yet. So I guess I'm looking for advice from people who have been there done that.

2babies2kidsmom - I went to a potluck thanksgiving with about 30 of my college friends back on day 12(ish) - as the fat girl in the crew, I did not want to spend the whole night talking about what I am or am not eating - my friends are great and super supportive, but sometimes I'm cranky and that support feels like condescension so I don't always want to hear it (that is totally in my head).    Anyway, since it was a potluck I made 3 compliant dishes (lemon chicken / rosemary roasted squash / brussel sprouts with prosciutto) so that I would have a full meal even if everything else was non-compliant.  I took a little bit of flack for bringing the chicken considering our host had made a turducken (ruined it by basting it with country crock!), but honestly there was so much food there no one realized that I'd brought 3 dishes, or that I was only eating what I brought myself.    It was hard to stay out of the cheese tray or the dessert table, but again, no one really noticed - and when I turned down wine I just said that I was doing a detox, and volunteered to shuttle others home if they had too much to drink.    It went really well and I didn't really have to talk about it AT ALL.     Hope that helps!

Archived