Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

So I just composed a lengthy post and lost it when my iPad froze up for the bajillionth time since upgraded to iOS 8. < SIGH>

Having coffee with just coconut milk and spices is less than ideal. In fact, it pretty much brought me to tears this morning. Weaning off of caffeine would/will be HARD as I am a chronic migraine sufferer. Not looking forward to adding puking-my-guts-out-light-is-pain-must-have-absolute-silence migraines to the mix right now. I always have at least a mild to moderate headache (chronic daily headache) and that is hard enough. I do not relish the idea of puking up buckets of vegetables. Sorry for the graphic depiction.

Anywhooooo... Day 4 is going along pretty well so far, despite that familiar ache in my head. I am learning to discern the difference between hunger & cravings. Ate enough fat at my 4pm early dinner yesterday that I did not feel the desire to eat anything else before bedtime at 10:30.YAY ME!

I cheated and weighed myself yesterday just out of curiosity and I have already lost 6 lbs! Don't be like me. I spoiled my own surprise by doing that. On the other hand, It did motivate me to stay with it. So that was good.

Hubby has knee surgery on Friday and that means I will be cooking all the food for the entire family (he usually does most of the cooking) so I will have to cook massive amounts of foods I cannot eat. Please pray for me to stay strong and keep true to the plan.

Still waiting for some pain relief. I know the book says not to use NSAIDS, but I have fibromyalgia, an autoimmune connective tissue disease, migraines and extruded disks in my spine. So you betcha I am taking my meloxicam and also tramadol. I did just FINALLY wean off of prednisone, so the fact that I can walk and function is a MIRACLE. SERIOUSLY.

Would love to hear from anyone else who is battling some of the health issues I am. It is super super hard to stay motivated when in constant pain. I think it might help to encourage each other!

Also, if there is anyone else in the Denver area, it would be awesome to know who you are. Long-term success might improve if we have someone local in the flesh who would be willing to help us stay accountable. Just a thought.

Off to get my youngest from kindergarten and then cook her an off-plan lunch. Praying I stay strong! And praying for all of you to do the same!

Much love from Colorado,

Jenny

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys!!

I started whole30 in september, and did great, it was my second one. I made a couple little mistakes, those darn chickpeas! So i restarted last week or so, to be honest I can't really remember and don't really care about a specific day because I feel absolutely AMAZING. I live in Allentown, PA after moving down here for a job. I would love to join this group just so we can stay up on it all together.

Happy Whole30ing!!!

Jenny I have fibromyalgia and gastritis I have constant pain in my neck, back and jaw as well as daily headaches so I understand your pain literally. I don't take any meds for the fibro as they all disagree with me and I can't take ibuprofen because of the gastritis so I am stuck with paracetamol or codeine neither of which are that effective so I just cope . I do take lansoprazole for the gastritis twice daily which is not whole 30 approved as it has lactose in it but I need it at the moment. I am hoping for great things from the whole 30 it worked for me last time. Good luck to you. I do all the cooking in my house and no one else is whole 30 so I feel your pain their too. Shame I am in the UK we have could have got together. We can support each other here though.

I'm jumping in a few days late! I've been bingeing on croissants and candy more than usual the last several weeks, and I really need to get that sugar dragon under control. I've also noticed my pants getting a little tighter, generally feeling a bit icky, and worse acne breakouts than usual - I know taking control of my eating will help with that! Thanksgiving will be the biggest challenge for me, since I'll be traveling out of town for a big family get together. I guess if I volunteer to help with the cooking, I can slip in a few compliant dishes :)

I'm also signed up for a fall CSA which starts next week, so every Tuesday I'll be picking up a box of veggies, chicken, and eggs, which will hopefully make the process easier! I'll prep all the veggies Tuesday night for the rest of the week; I think the chicken comes frozen so that might have to wait a day or two.

I've attempted Whole 30 twice in the past, but never made it the whole way - (lack of) self control and moderation are two of my biggest issues, and I'm terrible at holding myself accountable to things. I'm committed to finally accomplishing the whole 30 days, though, so here goes!

Day 3 coming to a close.  Enjoying a huge salad with tons of veggies and yummy homemade lemon pepper chicken with olive oil drizzle.  My constant headache seems to be leaving me finally.  It hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be doing this and breastfeeding a 3 month old.  I make sure to eat when I feel that I need to and make my main meals with extra veggies.  I also have to make larger than normal meals because my 2.5 year old usually eats a good portion of what I am eating (it always tastes better off my plate I guess).  Yesterday I made sweet potato chili and he actually ate the bowl I gave him. I feel like this has been easier than I expected, but I do feel like I spend so much time cooking then cleaning up, only to have to start cooking again (we don't have a dishwasher so my hands are getting a beating).  I did give up dairy a few weeks ago because my little one seemed bothered by it, so I had already slayed the cheese dragon.  Even with all the eating I do, I already feel like my pants are getting looser!

SWF - for travel that sounds handy, but I'd avoid for every day because of the canola oil if you have other options. Canola oil is high in PUFAs and is often rancid before it's even in the bottle (ick!). But sometimes the choices are canola or something worse :)

There's a good breakdown on oils and PUFAs here if anyone's interested:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/

@praxisproject & @ShannonM816 thanks for the responses, I'm sure I'll figure this all out.

Day 4 in the books. Didn't get any exercise in today because it was an early meeting day and then and afternoon travel day, who knows I might go for an evening walk.

I've learned a few things so far - I might actually get to like avocados, I had it in my soup this week and on my naked hamburger patty, Second green tea with a squeeze of lemon may become the drink of choice.

Feeling pretty good, no major urge to inflict death on anyone just yet.

Tempted to step on the scale!

Can you share the recipe for the Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup?

No problem, I froze it and took it on the road with me this week.

Ingredients
  1. 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
  2. 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  3. 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
  4. 1 jalapeno, diced
  5. 2 cloves garlic, minced
  6. 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes ( I just chopped up a couple of tomatoes)
  7. 2 cups chicken stock  (Just boiled a chicken, nothing fancy)
  8. 1 tbsp chili powder
  9. 1 tbsp cumin
  10. 1 tsp dried oregano  (Used fresh)
  11. 1/2 tsp paprika
  12. Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  13. 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
  14. 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
Instructions
  1. Add the chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic on top of the chicken. Pour the diced tomatoes over the top. Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours. Use a fork to shred the chicken before serving. Garnish with cilantro and avocado.

http://paleogrubs.com/slow-cooker-chicken-enchilada-soup-recipe

Hi, i just signed up, but i am not ready to start yet. I need to determine a date. Will there be a new role call? I am a little overwhelmed by all the info so I am figuring everything out.  Any tips would be awesome since I am newbie lol.

Thx

dena

Hang in there, everyone - we're heading into Kill All The Things! Today I wanted to murder only a few of the things - still, not a great mood. But I'm feeling better now, with dinner about to hit the table (Nom Nom Paleo's Damn Fine Chicken, baked acorn squash, mashed cauliflower, & braised cabbage) & good friend arriving for a visit.  

Hi, i just signed up, but i am not ready to start yet. I need to determine a date. Will there be a new role call? I am a little overwhelmed by all the info so I am figuring everything out.  Any tips would be awesome since I am newbie lol.

Thx

dena

Dena, it looks like a roll call happens anytime posts one in the Introductions part of the forum.  This roll call wasn't designed by the moderators; it just came together. 

So, day 5 for me and my energy the past couple days has be amazing.  No need for a late morning/afternoon coffee.  Don't know the last time I felt such consistent energy throughout the day.  My mood has been great too, except for that moment when I snapped at my 14 year old son with Aspergers who couldn't remember the teacher's instructions for his writing assignment (long story, but his ONLY JOB TODAY was to find that out since he was up for hours last night trying to figure it out ;)

Is ANYONE dealing with the bloating yet?  Good grief it is ridiculous.  Hits every evening right after dinner.  I look like I am pregnant again.  I know the timeline says to expect this to come around day 8-9 but mine hit on day 3-4.  

Rebeka from NYC, your transparency is to be admired.  You are in a good group with lots of support.  Hang tough.  I am praying for healing and restorative sleep for you tonight! 

I get Charlie horses when I cut out dairy, so another option might be more foods with calcium and/or supplements.

I get terrible Charlie horses regardless of what I do - I have chewed Calcium tablets like there is no tomorrow, taken magnesium supplementation, had my blood checked.  They have been horrible lately.  I get them on the back and front of my leg (i.e., calf and shin, and my toes and arch) so if I try to stretch out one muscle, the opposite one contracts.  Really bad.  I got them before I went paleo and truthfully now a trigger seems to be when I am off-roading and eat a high-carbohydrate meal.  Talk about a way to keep me on the straight and narrow!  Nothing like debilitating leg cramps for hours on end to keep me from eating that bag of chips!

Catr9 - Don't stress too much about snacks until the cranky fades, your want to snack will go down when your mood settles. Just make sure you're eating enough at meals, snacking means you're hungry.

LovingLife - You sure can water down your bone broth, I often add water to mine as it's cooking. I cook mine until the bones start to dissolve.

KayKay - I think Canadian dairy is fortified with vitamins, so it's probably one of those you're missing.

coloradoharts - Have you tried bulletproof coffee? (coconut oil or ghee - I prefer coconut oil) You need an immersion blender for it, but it packs more of a pow than coconut milk. Also, remember when cooking not to taste things with flour and sugar etc. Hubby can still be taster :) I also have some health conditions (including MTHFR genes), but have been arthritis free since giving up gluten & dairy! :D You may be able to ditch the NSAIDS long term, but take your time. I have to take preds sometimes, trying to ditch it for good, but need my overall inflammation to drop.

\o/ for Team Denver

Welcome Rachel! Did you do any reintroductions, or just a restart? 

Welcome Lisa :)

IAmAndy - just a food log with a few notes :)

christaeno - I highly recommend bulk cooking if you can - for me I like my (big) oven and slow cooker. Roast two chickens at once, pans of pumpkin and sweet potato cubes, pulled pork in the slow cooker. It's nice when you can take a whole day off cooking and just do the eating part :)

SWF - I love avocados most with lime juice and a little crushed fresh garlic. Great with spicy food :)

lol "no major urge to inflict death on anyone just yet" - quote of the day! :D OMG I want that soup!

Dena - start whenever you're ready :)

jgreene - if you're eating a lot of raw or cruciferous veggies, switching to cooked non-cruciferous helps some people through the adjustment period :)

Day 6! Feeling great and had an awesome workout last night...except for the moment after a few rounds of plate pushes when my legs suddenly felt like lead. I could barely lift them, it was so weird!

Taking myself "out" for lunch to our Whole Foods-esque grocery store for a big salad. Then leftover beef in tomato sauce on spaghetti squash with mushrooms and peppers for dinner. It's going to be a great day. I hope everyone else's is too!

Day 3 coming to a close. Enjoying a huge salad with tons of veggies and yummy homemade lemon pepper chicken with olive oil drizzle. My constant headache seems to be leaving me finally. It hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be doing this and breastfeeding a 3 month old. I make sure to eat when I feel that I need to and make my main meals with extra veggies. I also have to make larger than normal meals because my 2.5 year old usually eats a good portion of what I am eating (it always tastes better off my plate I guess). Yesterday I made sweet potato chili and he actually ate the bowl I gave him. I feel like this has been easier than I expected, but I do feel like I spend so much time cooking then cleaning up, only to have to start cooking again (we don't have a dishwasher so my hands are getting a beating). I did give up dairy a few weeks ago because my little one seemed bothered by it, so I had already slayed the cheese dragon. Even with all the eating I do, I already feel like my pants are getting looser!

Christaeno, I know what you mean about the toddler eating off your plate! It is amazing how anything off if Mom's plate tastes so good! I find myself serving myself extra food just for this reason.

I get terrible Charlie horses regardless of what I do - I have chewed Calcium tablets like there is no tomorrow, taken magnesium supplementation, had my blood checked.  They have been horrible lately.  I get the on the back and front of my leg so if I try to stretch out one muscle, the opposite one contracts.  Really bad.

My mom drinks diet tonic water for her nighttime leg cramps. She says it the quinine that does it. Maybe you can get that in pill form?

Archived