Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

Working from home today which allowed for a morning/walk run and then a crossfit WOD this evening.

Still hanging in there and feel skinnier, if that makes sense.

Made turkey meatballs for dinner and I can honestly say they'd taste better with sauce & pasta.

Friday Saturday & Sunday will be tough.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End of day 5 and I am battling some surprisingly strong cravings for candy, and really anything sweet. I told myself to be satisfied with blueberries with a coconut milk drizzle. I don't think I listened.

Worse than usual headache, a pinched nerve in my back, running all over creation today, making a whole bunch of non-compliant food for everyone else and the general "if you speak to me I will seriously contemplate punching you in the face" mental state have made for a less than stellar day. Hubby goes in for knee surgery tomorrow and I will be preparing all meals and caring for him. Please, Lord, let me be civil!

Working from home today which allowed for a morning/walk run and then a crossfit WOD this evening.

Still hanging in there and feel skinnier, if that makes sense.

Made turkey meatballs for dinner and I can honestly say they'd taste better with sauce & pasta.

Friday Saturday & Sunday will be tough.

How about some spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles with compliant sauce? They sound great.

What will be so difficult about those three days?

Finished Day 6! Haven't had much in temptation in food because of all the prep and support, but I'm going to need to hide the scale. With the years of yo-yo dieting, it's hard not to measure success with the number on the scale, and the only thing keeping me off it is the reminder that I promised to stay off it just like I promised to change my food and habits.

I think the scale may find a new home in the garage tomorrow. Out of sight - out of mind!

Most of the way through day 7 and this is probably the best I have felt physically and emotionally all week!

I have been struggling to sleep this week and the 2 kids (5 & 7) keep coming in for a cuddle during the night. They are all over me during the day too and I feel a bit like I just don't want to be touched by anyone!

Had a bit of a meltdown lastnight and hubby kept the kids away from me during the night if they came in he handled them and even let me sleep in thismorning, how different I felt today!

I've stayed compliant, but I have realised that I do a lot more snacking on the kids food than I realised! Every time I am preparing or cleaning up something for them I have to really stop myself from having some, strange how I have been able to identify something that may have been contributing to weight gain the past couple of years. 

Loving some of the recipes being posted, and I've shopped again this week and have more yummy plans for the weeks meals.....

I have been to the doctors today and been diagnosed with temporomandibular disorder. I have to eat a soft diet and rest my jaw as much as possible. I have booked a dentist appointment and might need an ENT referral. I have also been prescribed nefopam for pain which I need to take as I am in agony even eating soup is painful. Been to the veggie shop and bought loads of veg for veg stock to make soups. I could really use some compliant soup recipes right now or I will get bored of soup, not sure I will get my protein in.

I am a bit down today as I don't feel it's very fair I am the one in my family who takes care of themselves, eats well and workouts often and yet I have all these health problems.

On the plus side I feel slimmer, my hair looks shinier and skin smoother. I should lose weight on the soup diet too their is always a silver lining. I have rang sick to work should be on 3 nights starting tonight but with all this going on I think I just need to rest. You are all doing great keep up the great work.

Hang in there, Joy. TMD couldn't have really been prevented through a healthy lifestyle, could it? So you're still better off. Glad you're looking for silver linings. Stay positive!

As for protein, can a medical exception be made for smoothies? You could add pasteurized liquid egg whites to them if you have those in your area. Someone else would have to weigh in there. I don't want to give bad, non-compliant advice.

Day 7! I'm sleeping through the night again. Except I had my first "cheater" dream last night where I ate dark chocolate and a scoop of some barley-like grain. Why would I throw away a W30 for barley?! ;)

Have a great day everyone!

SWF - The weekends are the hardest for me as well. I've always eaten well and planned during the week and then completely lost it on the weekends. Of course, my meals are all planned out for this weekend and my husband is totally on board so I know it will be better. 

KayKay - I also had my first food dream last night!! I dreamed about rolls. Like the white store bought rolls you buy in the bag and have for Thanksgiving dinner. I don't even like those in real life!! It gave me a good chuckle this morning!   :D

Well, today is day 6 for me and I woke up feeling rejuvenated and refreshed. I can't believe it's almost been a week. I don't feel like I'm "dieting" or inconvenienced at all! I've been pretty energized, keeping up with my regular workouts and yoga, and don't really feel tired. I'm already feeling better and slimmer in just 6 days. I have no intentions of stepping on a scale but I do feel like I've already lost a couple pounds. That's not at all the reason I'm doing Whole30 but I do feel better with 5-10 pounds off. 

I also had an epiphany this morning as I was sitting here reflecting back on the last 6 days. In the last 6 days, I don't think I've snacked ONCE. I've eaten my three meals every day and NOTHING in between. This is huge. I'm the queen of snacking and feel hungry all the time usually. I've always blamed it on the fact that I run and work out so much and just need more calories and protein. But I've been working out the same amount this week and haven't snacked once. This blew my mind! And more importantly, I haven't even thought of snacking or wanted to snack. I haven't had to have the inner battle to resist snacking or even think about it. I just haven't been hungry. Amazing! In addition, I haven't even had ONE craving. Not one! Typically, my craving are a daily (mostly after dinner) thing. They have just vanished. I know I may have to deal with them coming back sooner or later but for now, I'm so excited about this!

Happy Friday to all and stay strong as you head in to the weekend. The weekends are always my most difficult! Plan, plan, and plan more. Each and every meal - plan it! That has helped me breeze through this first week when I haven't given myself a choice of what to eat. Cheers!  :P

So the crazy bloating seems to have subsided.  I seriously looked pregnant following dinner for 2 nights in a row.  I measured my stomach and it was significantly bigger than when I had started. Woke up this morning feeling much better, and get this - my stomach was 4 1/2 inches smaller than two nights ago.  SHEESH! No more measuring.  I don't obsess about that stuff but it was just so striking I had to check it out.        ktwlks8610 WAY TO GO on staring down the cupcake giant and kicking butt!

joybedford HANG IN THERE! So sorry about your jaw pain.  Think about throwing some chicken in the blender with some of your soups.  It will be easy to eat and you'll get your protein.  Can't wait to see a pic of your pup!

coloradoharts I have a herniated disc in my neck and that + sinus headache sent me into a dark room with a cup of tea until the Aleve kicked in.  Was so bad I thought I was going to throw up.  Very unusual for me.

SWF My husband travels for work so I will be watching for any advice you may have.  Unfortunately it is usually by airplane and only with a carry-on.  I am sending him with clarified butter next week.   Happy Weekend, Everybody! Be sure to check in if you are struggling.  Looking for a great breakfast recipe?  Check out this turkey sausage with apple.  I just browned the ground turkey with all the spiced and topped it with the chopped apple (so good!!!) but you can add the egg and make it into patties if you prefer.  http://leafparade.com/2013/09/16/sweet-apple-turkey-sausages/  

As for protein, can a medical exception be made for smoothies? You could add pasteurized liquid egg whites to them if you have those in your area. Someone else would have to weigh in there. I don't want to give bad, non-compliant advice.

Smoothies are not prohibited on the whole30. They are not recommended. That said, I would still rather see a pureed soup than a smoothie. Something with squash and coconut milk and bone broth perhaps? Maybe throw in some very-slow/long-cooked meat like short ribs or pulled pork or even chicken cooked until it is falling apart? If you can't chew the meat, puree it as well. THis sounds good to me and I dont' have TMD, lol.

If you feel you must incorporate smoothies make sure they are light on fruit and heavy on fat (avocado, coconut milk, etc), but pureed soup would be a better choice.

SNACKING!

Ktwlks8610: You're my anti-snacking heroine!

DishE: I also snack off my kids plates. And yes, it may be complaint but seriously, I don't need the sloppy seconds.

I had two goals this month: 1) stop snacking 2) curb the sugar dragon. And the two go hand-in-hand... If I could slay the snacking, the second would also be put down. Some habits are hard to break, right?

I hope everyone is having a good day!! 

I am super tempted to weigh myself! I know I feel great, and look better but I do want to lose some lbs. Any advice on how to ditch the scale?? I promised I wouldn't weight until Dec 1st, and only a week off the scale and I want to hop on!!

Thanks Nov. Whole30rs!!

Yesterday was Day 1 and my mind gave it's okay which does not happen often. Even the beginning weigh in and measurements didn't send me into a tailspin. All my usual erratic thoughts of failure, what ifs, I can't, but the holidays, smoothed out and I just felt calm. In the past this feeling has lasted from less than a day to  1 1/2 years. 

So today is Day 2 and I am still calm. No cravings or "but" thoughts. I am preparing for a successful day and hope that my new November buddies are doing the same.

So appreciating this group.

Finished Day 6! Haven't had much in temptation in food because of all the prep and support, but I'm going to need to hide the scale. With the years of yo-yo dieting, it's hard not to measure success with the number on the scale, and the only thing keeping me off it is the reminder that I promised to stay off it just like I promised to change my food and habits.

I think the scale may find a new home in the garage tomorrow. Out of sight - out of mind!

I hid the scale under the sofa.

Hey everyone. Yesterday went very well - I had leftover meatballs served on top of kale for lunch, then made my mom's spaghetti sauce with Italian sausages in the slow cooker & served it over baked spaghetti squash for dinner. My partner, our one house guest, & I nearly finished an entire squash! My mom's spaghetti sauce is incredible - one of my favorite meals from childhood - & it required ZERO tweaking to be Whole30-compliant. Thanks Mama!

Breakfast today - a slice of sweet potato quiche, a prosciutto muffin, half an avocado, & black tea. Probably another cuppa here at the office in a minute or so.

I am worried about the weekend - our house guest is not terribly demanding, but I feel obligated to play dutiful hostess tomorrow instead of spending 6 hours in the kitchen. But if I DON'T spend the prep time in the kitchen, next week will not go as smoothly as this week. Conundrum. 

Non-scale victory for my partner: she hasn't used any antacids since starting the Whole30 & in normal times, she lives on Pepcid AC & Alka-Seltzer. Hooray for slaying the fiery Heartburn Dragon!

Guest Jense58

I am worried about the weekend - our house guest is not terribly demanding, but I feel obligated to play dutiful hostess tomorrow instead of spending 6 hours in the kitchen. But if I DON'T spend the prep time in the kitchen, next week will not go as smoothly as this week. Conundrum. 

Non-scale victory for my partner: she hasn't used any antacids since starting the Whole30 & in normal times, she lives on Pepcid AC & Alka-Seltzer. Hooray for slaying the fiery Heartburn Dragon!

You remind me of how much I used to love to just be with my mother in the kitchen when she was preparing food ... great chat time!  I wonder if your house guest wouldn't mind spending just 3 hours in the kitch with you!!  :P

BIG congrats to your partner for slaying that dragon!!! Way to GO ...  :angry: (special fierce face very important for warriors ....) Tee hee

I'm so excited! My mother-in-law has ulcerative colitis and we suggested she look into the W30/ISWF. She's open to the idea! She's coming for dinner Sunday night and I'm going to cook an entirely compliant meal to demonstrate how delicious and easy it can be. Maybe we can get her off all the drugs yet.

Guest Jense58

I'm so excited! My mother-in-law has ulcerative colitis and we suggested she look into the W30/ISWF. She's open to the idea! She's coming for dinner Sunday night and I'm going to cook an entirely compliant meal to demonstrate how delicious and easy it can be. Maybe we can get her off all the drugs yet.

Good luck!  I'm guessing your dinner will be a win for her .... 

Hey everyone! Just checking in.

Day 7 is half way over. YAY!!! Still hanging strong. Made some meatball soup last night with beef bone broth, smoked diced tomatoes, sweet potato, onion, black olives and red bell pepper. It was actually pretty good.

A little nervous about the weekend too. Hubs announced last night that we're going to the lake this weekend. I want to go, but that puts planning, shopping and prepping for next week to a delay. I am bringing a crockpot chicken I prepared for today, some boiled eggs and kippers (never had those before but I bought a few cans just in case of times like this per Melissa of Wellfed). Need to pickup some veggies and fruit as well.

Everyone sounds like they're doing great. Keep up the good work. My pants are fitting loser!!! Have a great weekend!

Archived