Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

My hubby's grandma. She enjoys feeding people, and she is in great shape for her age. But she thinks meat is bad for you. She has definitely made comments to me in the past. I'm sure I'll see her on thanksgiving. She always brings the pies. My plan is to get a piece and park a toddler on my lap. That way I can just pretend to share with my kid, when in reality the kid will be doing all the eating!

That is a good idea- I have been fortunate a lot of encouragement and support from others. I was worried. Some friends have said "you're not drinking, that must be hard" 

I was worried about Thanksgiving- but my nieces are going to their Dad's in NC and my mom is going to SC so I will be by myself- I have a friend doing whole30 with me so we are going to have a whole30 Thanksgiving. 

For dessert I have been experimenting with whipped coconut milk and fresh fruit with chopped raw nuts and it is yummy. 

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a good idea- I have been fortunate a lot of encouragement and support from others. I was worried. Some friends have said "you're not drinking, that must be hard" 

I was worried about Thanksgiving- but my nieces are going to their Dad's in NC and my mom is going to SC so I will be by myself- I have a friend doing whole30 with me so we are going to have a whole30 Thanksgiving. 

For dessert I have been experimenting with whipped coconut milk and fresh fruit with chopped raw nuts and it is yummy.

I am hoping to make the Cranberry Waldorf Salad from TCMTG. Now that I am hardly eating any fruit, I am sure it will be a treat!

!

Hey everyone!

Today is day 13 and I'm feeling BLAH :(  :angry:  :wacko:  today. It seems like the weather is cold everywhere but it's 8 degrees here right now with a chance of snow tomorrow! Ugghhh!! I've been running outside so the colder it gets, the more upset I get that I either have to run in THAT cold or can't run outside! Not thrilled about this.

So two weeks ago I did the ALCAT testing. Anyone familiar?? It's a food allergy/sensitivity test where they just take blood samples and then test it with certain things to see what causes negative reactions. I've had stomach/bloating issues for a couple years even though I eat really well so I really wanted to do this. I just got my results yesterday and what am I severely allergic too??! COFFEE and CAULIFLOWER (among several other things that I don't care as much about). This is devastating to me. Coffee, well...need I say more? And Cauliflower....this is a staple in my kitchen. Caulirice, sauces, roasted cauliflower...we probably use cauliflower in some form at least 2-3 times weekly. That is a tough one for me. So, among all the findings in this report, I really have to figure out now how to make all these tweaks to my diet. I know these seem like such little things but they are a big deal to me. I'm also severely allergic to beef. Although this isn't as devastating, we do have beef 1-2 weekly. They highly recommend ground bison (EW!!!!!!!!!!). Anyone use ground bison regularly? Is there a big difference in texture/taste?? That's going to be a difficult switch for me.

On a POSITIVE note, IT'S FRIDAY!! Friday's are my absolute favorite day of the week! I'm going to meal plan, grocery shop, prep for the weekend, yoga, and housework today. Love these days! I also just got the Well Fed and Nom Nom Paleo cookbooks yesterday and so excited to dig in to them!

As we head in to the weekend, everyone stay strong! We've got this!

I can't believe you are still running outside in this! You are tough! No coffee?!?! That would be a nightmare! As for the beef, I second the suggestion to eat lamb. It is a bit different but so delicious!

Ok, I may have to try the lamb too. I've never been a big meat eater. For whatever reason, the texture and thought of meat is just not very appealing to me. However, in the past year I've been able to do chicken and beef regularly. So, I was just getting comfortable with beef and found a great local farmer to buy from (grass fed and finished, grain free, nothing added, etc.). And now I have to warm up to the idea of eating something else so this is difficult for me. I know there are way worse problems in the world so  I can do it. Even the coffee thing.....I know this is a blessing (doesn't feel like it today!!!!!!) and I've known for a while that I need to control my caffeine addiction and here's my sign! 

Ok, I may have to try the lamb too. I've never been a big meat eater. For whatever reason, the texture and thought of meat is just not very appealing to me. However, in the past year I've been able to do chicken and beef regularly. So, I was just getting comfortable with beef and found a great local farmer to buy from (grass fed and finished, grain free, nothing added, etc.). And now I have to warm up to the idea of eating something else so this is difficult for me. I know there are way worse problems in the world so  I can do it. Even the coffee thing.....I know this is a blessing (doesn't feel like it today!!!!!!) and I've known for a while that I need to control my caffeine addiction and here's my sign! 

Bison is DELICIOUS. It's usually leaner than beef & has a mild taste. I suspect in many recipes you will not notice much difference.

As a coffee replacement, do you like strong English/Irish breakfast teas? I alternate between coffee & strong black tea in the mornings. 

So it's day one of my do-over. I decided not to exercise this morning because I felt so cruddy when I woke up. My fingers, hands, and wrists are swollen, stiff, and painful. New this morning, my ankles are itchy and swollen and and my heels and arches hurt too. Ugh. This sucks.

I started my day with some marshmallow root Pukka tea...that has been my bright spot so far. My hubby gets home today. TGIF...

Day 9/21

This is crazy. I usually know how many days, hours, seconds I have been on an eating plan and exactly how many days, hours, and seconds I have left if I can even make it that far.  Now I have to look back and see my own posts to know where I am.  

Friday and cold. Walked anyway. It just so happened I had loaded a podcast about the benefits of walking. Not only is it good for your health, walking can also do some brain rewiring and make you smarter. Hoping for some super herculean wiring! 

We will be weekend strong!

This is day 7 for me, and I'm amazed that I'm already sleeping better and feeling more energetic. I have had some food dreams, but they made me laugh when I woke up. I find it helpful to read what everyone else is going through in the mornings. I have cut way back on coffee, and then had to cut back on black tea, but I think I'm getting a tea routine down that keeps me happy thru the day and asleep at night. 

I am loving the recipes and cooking...

It's supposed to be a bit warmer here today in Texas and sunny. That will make me very happy!

Seriously...tgif!! What day is it?? My sleep the last two nights was poor to say the least. Dont know what is going on with that! Yesterday was alright but with just a little sleep I felt a little off..but I couldnt sit down. Had a chance to take a nap but couldnt! I thought I would fall asleep so quickly last night but nope! And last night I found myself constantly hungry and I snacked...compliant still but dont want to make that a habit. Before this I was a serious grazer..having basically one meal at night but picking throughout the day. I think that was the sleep problem. If I dont sleep properly, I always seem to want to eat more. Oh yes its Day 12 and im still here! And I have my third crossfit session...dont know how that is going to go down with two nights of bad sleep :( Hopefully I will sleep tonight! Next week I will be traveling for a couple of days so that will be a test! But on the bright side, I am going to the Royal Albert Hall in London...over the top excited!! Thats the American in me :) Happy Friday everyone!

Day 13 here. Feeling pretty good, although the rash around my chin is getting much much worse and starting to spread. I assumed it would go away on W30. I think it is related to an allergy. So I am cutting out avocado and trying my best to avoid nuts, peppers and all Nightshades. I saw a post by a woman who has the exact same rash I do and she said it is from nightshade allergy. I really don't like the idea of eliminating even MORE foods ..l but if my body is rejecting something I should listen. I am committed to this because I am seriously desperate for pain relief. It never occurred to me that some of my problems could be due to allergies.

Have any of you been to an allergist to identify foods you should avoid? Did the skin testing reveal anything worthwhile? Have you improved since withdrawing those foods?

This is my day 9 and I am now an official member of the KILL ALL THINGS club!  I was that woman at the Passport office who stormed out (after stuffing papers, IDs and checks back into my bag) and I have noticed that every single car in the road is driving too slowly/stupidly.  Yikes!!!  On a happier note I am now on day 9, I mastered the veggie spiraler, finally found coconut aminos (for Sunshine Sauce - the only ingredient I didn't have) and I just received my Amazon order for the whole 30 compliant fish sauce (don't even remember what recipe called for that - in the worst case I will drink it!)  I actually added "day 10 and 11 are hardest - most people think about quitting" to my calendar in case I have a tough time this weekend.

Not sure if anyone has recommended this product before - it's an herbal salt from Switzerland.  In my house we call it magic salt because it makes everything taste delicious.  I have seen it for sale in Canada and it can be purchased at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Vogel-Trocomare-Organic-Spicy-Seasoning/dp/B0046HEUIQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1415993181&sr=1-1&keywords=trocomare

It's basically salt with about 20 different herbs and comes in a few levels of spiciness.  

Started my first WHOLE30 yesterday - currently almost done with day 2. So far it's been going well! I kinda nixed full on excercise for now and instead focusing fully on the food.

Yesterday I was seriously full all day! Breakfast kept me full for 7-ish hours!! Can't remember the last time that happened! Lunch was just a raw-bite and two carrots, and then I had to force myself to eat dinner. Just thought I should have three meals on my first day at least. 

Had my first cheat-dream though. Haha. Dreamt I ate some kind of chocolate-pudding with artificial sweetener, and I was like; "damn! what about whole30?!" - just a dream, phew! But already? haha. Interesting to see if this increases!  

Morning all, overcast Melbourne calling :). Congrats to all those bodies that have found looser clothes, disappearing headaches, less pain ,increased energy levels and fab recipes to play around. 

How lovely to start feeling the benefits of looking after yourselves!!! My tummy feels like I've only gone 10 rounds with Mohammed Ali rather than 100 lol. :P

Now about those recipes-:

Angledge how do you make your bone beef broth? roasting meaty bones and veg then into a stockpot with water for a few hours?

Drtracyb- sweetpotato rice - please do tell, it sounds yummy!

welcome aboard to all the new starters

Happy trails :)

Not sure if anyone has recommended this product before - it's an herbal salt from Switzerland.  In my house we call it magic salt because it makes everything taste delicious.  I have seen it for sale in Canada and it can be purchased at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Vogel-Trocomare-Organic-Spicy-Seasoning/dp/B0046HEUIQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1415993181&sr=1-1&keywords=trocomare

It's basically salt with about 20 different herbs and comes in a few levels of spiciness.  

This stuff looks AMAZING, Heather! Thanks for the suggestion.  Just checked the ingredient list and ordered it form Amazon :)

Day 14. Almost 1/2 way! Still having craving for food in the evening. Sometimes I am eating a mandorin or berries which I understand doesn't break the psychological barrier but is better than chocolate & icecream! Skoshi[/size]

Day 14 here too. I had to pass on so many office treats today, but it was pretty easy--although I really miss chocolate right now. Two more weeks!

Leonie - yes, I just put the bones in my slow cooker with some chopped-up celery, carrots, parsnips, & onions. Chop up a handful of garlic & throw that in. Splash some apple cider vinegar on the bones, cover everything with water, add some salt & then simmer for a loooooooooong time. For beef bones at least 12 hours. You can add some herbs towards the end if you like - depends on what you're planning to use the broth for. 

When you're done, pour everything through a strainer & discard. You can re-use the bones a few times, until they get really soft.

Supposedly you can roast the bones first to make a richer-tasting broth. I haven't tried this yet.

Here's Nom Nom Paleo's page on beef broth in the slow cooker: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3615609338/slow-cooker-beef-bone-broth

Leonie - yes, I just put the bones in my slow cooker with some chopped-up celery, carrots, parsnips, & onions. Chop up a handful of garlic & throw that in. Splash some apple cider vinegar on the bones, cover everything with water, add some salt & then simmer for a loooooooooong time. For beef bones at least 12 hours. You can add some herbs towards the end if you like - depends on what you're planning to use the broth for. 

When you're done, pour everything through a strainer & discard. You can re-use the bones a few times, until they get really soft.

Supposedly you can roast the bones first to make a richer-tasting broth. I haven't tried this yet.

Here's Nom Nom Paleo's page on beef broth in the slow cooker: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3615609338/slow-cooker-beef-bone-broth

@Angledge and @Leonie, I do roast the bones for a bit beforehand--and yes, it gives a nice depth to the broth. Plus then you can have this fantastic recipe for Marrow Bone & Greens...And then let the slowcooker work its magic! We have a laugh here when the bone broth goes on, that the rendering factory is in business again. It's quite a distinct aroma...haha. Anyway, just so yummy--Especially at this time of year!

Angledge ty so much for that- parsnip - nver would have thought to put that in stock, yet tis so sweet- good move:)

crazycow thanks for that additional info will be trying both! lol yes am a serious lover of food- it's never optional at our place :rolleyes:

mind you I've gone over the food budhet already for this fortnight- shesh - and I know i'll need more veg :(

I still can't get over how many more vegies I eat on paleo than when I was a vegetarian (25yrs as a veg!!) such a hoot :P

keep up those healthy thoughts all

Hi. I started on the 11th and just discovered this group. This is my second Whole 30. I lost 10lbs on the first and then promptly put it all back on over the last 4 months, technically eating Paleo, but letting all those Paleo desserts/snacks become all too frequent. So, back to the basics again. Not as forbidding this time. Know what to expect (e.g. the horrible headaches at the beginning and the plateau stage!). I am hoping this is finally the time that it "sticks" - that I don't just go off the wagon again once it is complete. I liked the article on day 3 about grieving. That clicked. I definitely do the "paleo xxxx" to try and sub my favorite treat and kid myself it is healthy.

I want to be able to tackle Christmas with calm and conviction. To not dive headfirst into chocolate covered nuts, Quality Street chocolates (British brand I associate forever with Christmas - I have found them at our local international foods store here in the USA ugh), pudding, brussels sprouts (which I kid myself are healthy but the way I cook them, caramalized and covered in blue cheese and cranberries and walnuts, yeah, not so much). I love the decision chart they have somewhere on the site - a little flowchart to challenge yourself whether you really want.

I am nervous about the first weekend. I am going out for dinner today and will be around lots of opportunities to snack poorly. I actually find it easier at work because I can have a controlled routine. Weekends and the associated chaos are way more difficult. Next weekend I am hosting a dinner party (made plans well before I signed up for whole 30 again!) and of course the week after that is Thanksgiving. So will probably be visiting a lot for help maintaining track in coming weeks!

I agree with you jmachin, weekdays are pretty much under control when you have structured days, not so much on the weekends.  And you don't realise how much of your social life revolves around food! (you can't even watch tv without every commercial break being about food! Ahh!) 

This is Day 13 for me, and I am feeling really good about myself and my choices.  People at my work have asked my if I have lost weight, nice to hear.  I still want to jump on the scale though!

Spent last night with a like-minded buddy making egg muffins (so yummy, and portable!!), bacon-wrapped chicken thighs, roasted red pepper soup, and enough veg to keep me going for a few more days.  Tomorrow will be my first attempt at bone broth! 

Hi. I started on the 11th and just discovered this group. This is my second Whole 30. I lost 10lbs on the first and then promptly put it all back on over the last 4 months, technically eating Paleo, but letting all those Paleo desserts/snacks become all too frequent. So, back to the basics again. Not as forbidding this time. Know what to expect (e.g. the horrible headaches at the beginning and the plateau stage!). I am hoping this is finally the time that it "sticks" - that I don't just go off the wagon again once it is complete. I liked the article on day 3 about grieving. That clicked. I definitely do the "paleo xxxx" to try and sub my favorite treat and kid myself it is healthy.

I want to be able to tackle Christmas with calm and conviction. To not dive headfirst into chocolate covered nuts, Quality Street chocolates (British brand I associate forever with Christmas - I have found them at our local international foods store here in the USA ugh), pudding, brussels sprouts (which I kid myself are healthy but the way I cook them, caramalized and covered in blue cheese and cranberries and walnuts, yeah, not so much). I love the decision chart they have somewhere on the site - a little flowchart to challenge yourself whether you really want.

I am nervous about the first weekend. I am going out for dinner today and will be around lots of opportunities to snack poorly. I actually find it easier at work because I can have a controlled routine. Weekends and the associated chaos are way more difficult. Next weekend I am hosting a dinner party (made plans well before I signed up for whole 30 again!) and of course the week after that is Thanksgiving. So will probably be visiting a lot for help maintaining track in coming weeks!

Welcome! So glad you found this group! It's really hard to undo years and years of bad sugar-dragon habits in just a couple 30-day periods, so don't beat yourself up. You'll learn new habits, tips, and techniques each time, and that's awesome too.

Your dinner party sounds like a great opportunity to serve some amazing compliant dishes. Have fun with that menu!

I had a very upsetting cheat dream where I accidentally ate a non-compliant food and my husband didn't tell me, and then I proceeded to say "screw it!" and ordered a huge ice cream cone. Very disappointed in myself...in my dream. I was thrilled to wake up to an "intact" W30, day 15. Phew!

KayKay, that is hilarious!  (Maybe not initially funny but you're halfway there!)  I am in Ontario, too!

This is my first Whole 30 and today is my official start date.  I ate compliant yesterday but then saw my probiotic may contain traces of dairy and my fish oil has an ingredient derived from soy.  Oops.  I'm happy in a way to be off supplements though in order to see what diet will change without them.

I have to say that I just ate sweet potato and apple hash with an egg and spinach for breakfast and my taste buds are loving me!  I have also had coconut cream for the first time.  Mmmmmmmmm.

Anyway, I've been eating pretty clean for the last few months due to interstitial cystitis and some other issues but I am still nervous.  I am really looking forward to completing this challenge to see what it can do for me!  I'm also going to be feeding my family pretty well the same things I eat to save on time and planning.  Hopefully it will give them an appreciation for a meal without grains and dairy!  Looking forward to checking back in here for ideas and support and to give any I can as well!

Cheers!

I started the day with a Whole 30 win.  I grilled some chicken sausage for breakfast, found them pretty unappealing (and frankly kind of obscene as well) and thought "this would be much better with some mango salsa and then realized I had ALL the ingredients to make one!  Usually when I read recipes I have most, but not all the ingredients but now that I'm in my second week of the program I've started to slowly add the suggested condiments, herbs, veggies, etc.  I was quickly able to create the salsa and it turned my uninspiring breakfast in to a real treat (wish I could figure out how to insert a picture!)

As good as I am feeling about the program and sticking with things I am getting worried that I will be one of the people who doesn't lose any weight or inches.  I know we're supposed to be patient, etc. but there is absolutely no change in how things fit (tight) or anything else.  I know my body is adjusting and healing but it seems like I should have some physical change to celebrate.  I won't horrify you with what I was eating before )nor the massive quantities) but I used to start the day with a scone or muffin (or 2) followed by sugary snacks, followed by pasta and then non-stop coffee and goodies through the afternoon.  And (most embarrassingly of all) I would wake up in the middle of the night and eat candy or cookies.

Hmmm - reading what I've written I guess it's pretty obvious that my poor old body is desperately trying to heal:)

Archived