Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

Hello!

I made the mayo with the light tasting olive oil, I liked it,  it hardly has a taste at all!  Day 14 is going really well...feeling very satisfied after I eat, and not hungry AT ALL at nighttime, and that's a first. I think I should start thinking about portions, cutting a tad back all around.

Again, the prepping/cooking was most of my Sunday, but I hope to not run out of meals for a few days at least. Took a rest day, went for a nice walk in the park despite the cold temps.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2babies2kidsmom - The consensus seems to be that good mayo can't be had from Extra Virgin Olive Oil unless it's super-light (which is rare). The green seems to make it bitter. If you can find anything to cover/water down (dressing/soup) the bitterness, you might be able to use it. I quite like the texture of the olive oil, but I also like avocado (some people don't) and macadamia oil.

I too love "Weekly Cookup: The Plan" from the Clothes Make The Girl :) If you struggle with it, try to note where you go wrong, I found I was making too many complicated meals - so #5 was my biggest lesson (Keep It Simple). From buying partially prepped veggies to making hot plates, there's lots of clever tricks to cut down cooking time so you can have a "day off" cooking. It doesn't have to be fancy. I do some prep on Friday nights and lots of prep Saturday and cooking Saturday and Sunday in smaller chunks (I try to mostly oven on Sundays - low effort).

laurenjessany - If I'm not feeling good, for starchy carbs, I ask myself "Am I hungry? Am I grumpy? Am I tired? Am I dizzy? Have I been working out? Have I been getting enough sleep? Have I been sick?" If the answer to any of those is yes, I usually add more starchy carbs. Sometimes even one day of not enough starch can make me quite tired and grumpy. Sweet potato, pumpkin and making sure I'm getting enough fat are my first steps. I'd add some extra fat too if you're only using your cooking fat. You won't absorb all your veggie goodness if you're too low in fat. Bulletproof coffee (or herbal tea) made with coconut oil is one way to add some extra fat, or a higher fat coconut based veggie soup.

angledge - I like some easy greens recipes you can make from frozen, for when you've got nothing left prepped, or you ran out of green things :) I like brussell sprouts turned into soup (chicken bone broth or chicken stock) with lots of black pepper - I blend it so it's creamy/fluffy. Not just green, but I can get some quite good frozen stir fry veggies, they're crappy for stir fry as they're too soggy for me, but in thai curries, they are great! Either with meat, or as a veggie dish. Frozen broccoli and cauliflower are good easy veggies too. I blend the cauli to make fauxtatoes and either soup the broccoli or just steam it.

Day 15! Im only part of the way through but I feeling a little better. My lesson prepping was for an interview which I did this morning. It went well so that helps my mood. The weekend threw me...my meal times were out of whack, I was craving sugar, and just felt tired. I snacked too much and ate quite a bit of fruit yesterday..bluberries, apple, strawberries. I was wondering what was going on then realized that this is the week before my cycle(sorry to all the men if this is too much info:(). Hence why I was googling paleo treats and dreaming of brownies before bed last night. So I will just have to pay attention to that and try to eat a little more. I think it will help knowing this and not freaking out if I feel bloated, tired, etc. This would be the week I should expect tiger blood but will it happen? Maybe, maybe not. Nervous about traveling this week but hopefully it will work out. Im planning on carrying food with me just in case. Fingers crossed!

praxisproject - I'm definitely going to do some experimenting with my ALCAT results because I know it can't be 100% accurate but it's probably close. I'm going to eliminate for 6 months then slowly introduce one thing at a time back in to see what happens. By the way, I laughed out loud about the "warning" you got for too many emoji's. haha, who doesn't love emoji's???  :D  :D  :D

Anyways, I'm on day 15 here and feeling better today. Yesterday was a ROUGH day! As I mentioned previously, I have some kind of cold/sinus thing happening and I was a bear yesterday! My poor husband! I was cranky, tired from not sleeping, stuffy, couldn't breathe and achy all over. I felt foggy and drained. AND I craved anything and everything junk food yesterday!! I wanted to eat all bad things. I didn't! I was super proud of myself for resisting!! It's so funny how when you're tired and run down, you mentally make (or want to make) poor choices. Any other day, I would never eat those things anyways! So, although I felt like s**t, yesterday was a victory for me. And I'm feeling much better today! I hope to be on the downhill slope of this cold.

Looks like everyone else is going well! And we have a lot of newbies too - welcome!!! Who is cooking for Thanksgiving next week? Any great recipes we all need to see?

Happy Monday!

Just a thought on the mayo: I make it with avocado oil and the family loves it. I've also made I with walnut oil and it is tasty but my son can't take nut products to school. Hence the switch. My 6 year old is (mostly) doing the challenge with me which I find adorable.

Tuesdays is pizza day for him at school and we've already paid for the year so that will be his one diversion so far. Super proud of his determination so far, especially because he is a brutally picky eater and adores pasta.

Anyway, looking for tips on kill all the things days. Hit me like a ton of bricks this morning. If I can get my little one to stay busy for a bit I will try some yoga or mindfulness meditation. I work from home and have a 3 yr old here with me so it's near impossible to get quiet time. Any ideas (aside from throwing things or punching a wall)? Hate feeling so short tempered, being aware of it, and not being able to squash it!

Thanks in advance. :)

Welcome mangokat - I love your userpic! Speaking of staying positive, I woke up feeling much better this morning. Ate a good breakfast, popping along at work. It's bright & sunny today & warmed all the way up to 34 degrees F! I think getting out into the sun really makes a difference in my mood. I've already taken the dog for two walks  :D. I also did my morning yoga routine (I've skipped that a few times in the last week, when it was so darn cold). 

I have to say - one of the most interesting observations I have made on the Whole30 so far is how hard it has been to refrain from alcohol. While I certainly miss my favorite junk foods, I have found myself craving a DRINK more often than anything else. I have had trouble with alcohol abuse in the past & it runs in my family, so realizing that alcohol still has quite a powerful hold on me has been disturbing. I don't drink that much any more (3-4 drinks a week), but apparently I am quite reliant on the drinks I do take! Very surprising discovery.   :wacko:

Has anyone else made any surprising discoveries?

I'll start a start-over today as yesterday my son complained he was hungry on the way to daycare so I ended up leaving my roasted chicken with him and then having to grab chicken from Panda Express on my way in to my overnight shift.  I'm sure it must have had some soy in it, among other things.

Dr. Tracy you are such an amazing mom!  Your selflessness and dedication to your kids continues to impress me.

Thanks everyone for the mayo suggestions.  I have made it with the light olive oil before and it turned out well.  I bought some yesterday so I'll get my fix now!  

Spent all afternoon  yesterday grocery shopping with hubby and twins.  Didn't plan very well so I ended up eating two mini meals while we were out, if you can even call them that.  First was a larabar and 2 hard boiled egg yolks (gave the whites to the twins).  Then bought a banana at a gas station on the way home.  We live 1.5 hrs from the "good" grocery store and I didn't plan on being gone so long.  Very tired when I got home, no doubt due to eating so much fruit and nothing else.  Also felt very sorry for myself at the store because they have a Starbucks, and it smelled SO GOOD.  I love their coffee with all that sugar and dairy.  That's one "treat" I would like to figure out how to add into my paleo diet without going crazy.  I mean, I only go there once or twice a month, so if that was the only time I consumed milk and sugar I think I'd be okay.  Of course that's never how it works.

Today I'm making a lamb roast for lunch, with steamed artichokes and fried rutabaga.  The last one is kind of an experiment.  Pork ribs are in the oven for supper.  Not sure what sides I'll make.  

Oh man angledge I can relate to the drinks. I dont drink a lot but I know I have used it in the past to celebrate or for "social lubrication" especially when I moved over to the UK as I knew no one but my husband. Before whole 30, I had consciously cut back. But last Friday, AFTER CROSSFIT!, I thought how nice a glass of wine would be...what???? Alcohol abuse runs in my family, actually women in my family, so I know I have to watch it. Im going to two different concerts this week and I am going to struggle not having even one drink because I connect live music with having a drink. I think its about creating different connections and mindsets. But can 30 days do that? I would love to say yes but I think this is the beginning of a journey that requires time, success, and some failure :)

Day 14- and going well, I still have acid re-flux, and so I have to take my meds. 

I am doing ok with the sugar, cravings are down. But now its sauces- I used to get fries just to eat the ketchup 

So this weekend I made ghee- so easy

I also made lots of dressing, ranch and an amazing mango dressing to go with some chicken and pineapple I grilled and use on a salad. 

I had a party at my house and served the ranch with veggies. 

I also marinaded some chicken in franks red hot and lime so I could have some "wings" and ranch. 

I also made some carrot, coconut oil fries- everyone loved them. 

I too am getting tired of the cooking- but this weekend was easier. I sucked it up and fought the traffic and went to the grocery on Friday came home and put everything in to marinade and chopped some veggies. That way Saturday was more streamlined. 

lorileigh44, I have hot wings cooking RIGHT NOW & I made ranch to go with it! With carrot & celery sticks on the side, of course. I can't wait to try the wings - they smell really good. I used the Jalapeno Berry Slow Cooked Wings recipe from this post:

http://whole30.com/2014/09/best-whole30recipes-winner-winner-chicken-breakfast-lunch-dinner/

EDIT: the wings were delicious!! So was the ranch dressing!!

So guess what....?  I inadvertently ate butter :-(  A friend had made butternut squash soup and told me all the ingredients.  After we ate it she mentioned something about cooking the squash, carrots, apples, etc. in BUTTER before she pureed it....sigh..... So today I started over with whole30 - oh well!!  I am a bit annoyed, just because 30 days seems so much more daunting than 14 days left.  

Anyway, I just needed to vent ;-)  Enjoy the day, all!!

I'm totally relating to the talk of alcohol.  Tonight was the first time I was really craving a glass of wine.  I could feel my stress level was really high and I was longing for the release alcohol would have brought.  But it's a "no" so I didn't which feels like a huge step for me. I've always had a really hard time following food rules (who dares tell me what and when to eat?!) but I'm finding that having firm, strict rules is actually really helpful.  I've always fudged and bent the rules and made lots of excuses but the "tough love" approach is kind of liberating!  I still haven't noticed any change in the way my clothes fit and I am not feeling the high energy (yet) and I've had some pretty crabby, grumpy days (just finishing day 12.)  But I'm staying on plan and not looking for a reason to stop and that is a huge success for me.

Even though I don't drink sodas I've been getting pretty tired of the limited drinks I am having so I "invented" something that I will share with you all - add a splash of coconut milk to seltzer water.  You can also add a bit of fresh lime juice or even fresh ginger or mint.  It's really refreshing and feels a bit exotic and fun.  

Slow cooker bone broth is on the boil...! Did not have apple cider vinegar, so subbed some balsamic...should be interesting...

Got an email from Starbucks tonight. EGG NOG LATTE is on the scene. I have not been in a starbucks since starting this round of W30. But eggnog lattes are an...issue. I'm not craving one, but I KNOW what happens once I have one. I have another, and another...it's a yearly tradition. I have eggnog lattes until I hit what has become known as the "nog wall"...wonder if I'll be prepared to have one after finishing up. At the moment, there are two items hanging in the balance to have once this round is over. Again. Not craving a thing. But these have a special place in my heart (and stomach)...so it's a toss up between an eggnog latte and a BEER...and don't even get me started on our yearly fun Christmas Cocktails...

Whew! That was quite a rabbit hole I just went down...We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...!

Have a good night all.  ;)

I'm sure there are paleo egg nog recipes.  Just coconut milk or almond milk with a date and an egg, and some nutmeg or cinnamon, right?

Had tilapia and rice (made from white sweet potato spiralized and then pulsed in the food processor).  I get the biggest kick out of my kids scooping up sweet potato rice like that - they had no idea.  My other trick with white sweet potato is the cut it into small chucks and roast it.  My son thinks he is eating pieces of cheese.

Otherwise, my re-start after some accidental "dosings" last week has been a bit difficult.  Today I ordered the ultimate breakfast skillet at Denny's, which is my go-to meal when I have to eat breakfast out, especially now that white potatoes are whole30.  I accidentally ate a bite of toast before I realized what I was doing.  So back to Day 1, again.  I did that once on a previous whole30 with Cheerios but was able to wash my mouth out in time .....

I'm really looking forward to cooking for Thanksgiving next week.  Thanksgiving is all about the sides, anyway.  Our Thanksgiving tradition is to go for a bike ride along the beach. 

I will be honest i nearly gave up yesterday day 18 here today. My jaw pain which had almost completely gone is back back on pain meds and soft food agan. I was so hungry and low on calories yesterday I almost had a protein shake but I thought you only have 12 more days to go see it through. I think the frustrating thing is I am not feeling any benefits yet I still have no energy, my skin has a fresh outbreak of pimples, my fibro is just as bad and I have this awful jaw pain. The only benefit is weight loss but I am not eating enough either. Been to my dentist today and he can't help me soft diet, pain meds and time, my X-Ray is normal. So I am in a frustrated state today. My husband refuses to talk about it he is not trying to sabotage me anymore but he won't discuss it either. Hopefully I will feel better soon but for now I need to cook more soup. Sorry I am being so negative but fed up of putting a brave face on this.

I was so hungry and low on calories yesterday...

I'm so sorry your jaw pain is back.

I can hear your frustration clearly, but there is a really really simple thing you can do that will make that at least a little easier: give your body nourishment. Not doing so is not only making you miserable, it will sabotage that weight loss you hope for as well. I bet a whole avocado with some sea salt would be tasty, and some mashed root veggies with lots of ghee? soft scrambled eggs made fancy with coconut milk and chives? Even a banana with almond butter would be better than nothing at all, and remember your context: while smoothies aren't recommended for most people, I think they make sense for you (together with the soups, of course). Make sure there's plenty of good fat in them. EAT.

I hope the pain subsides quickly. good on you for keeping this up!

Good morning, all!  Woke up to ruined, burnt bone broth.  So sad. :(  I'll have to start another batch tonight.

Joy, I am so sorry for what you are dealing with.  It is so discouraging when the person who should be your biggest chearleader is not supportive.  My husband eats what I put in front of him so I don't bother discussing ingredients.  If he wants to supplement with a piece of bread or glass of milk that is his prerogative but he's been pretty good.  My 6 year old has actually been my biggest advocate and is doing it with me.  Are your kids able to join in?  That may give you some encouragement.

I went back and read a couple of your other posts and you are most definitely not eating enough.  Especially in the protein department which is most important. I was guilty of the same thing when I first started cutting foods out of my life and it left me tired, irritable, and with absolutely nothing to show for it.  Do you make bone broth?  That could be a big help with your hurting jaw.  Missmary's suggestions are great.  I think I will incorporate them as well!  Good luck and know that you have support here!!

I will be honest i nearly gave up yesterday day 18 here today. My jaw pain which had almost completely gone is back back on pain meds and soft food agan. I was so hungry and low on calories yesterday I almost had a protein shake but I thought you only have 12 more days to go see it through. I think the frustrating thing is I am not feeling any benefits yet I still have no energy, my skin has a fresh outbreak of pimples, my fibro is just as bad and I have this awful jaw pain. The only benefit is weight loss but I am not eating enough either. Been to my dentist today and he can't help me soft diet, pain meds and time, my X-Ray is normal. So I am in a frustrated state today. My husband refuses to talk about it he is not trying to sabotage me anymore but he won't discuss it either. Hopefully I will feel better soon but for now I need to cook more soup. Sorry I am being so negative but fed up of putting a brave face on this.

Joy, that does sound miserable.  But that is great that you are hanging in there.  I really don't have any advice but I wanted to share my favorite soup recipe with you.  Cut up a butternut squash into small chunks (or buy the pre-cut stuff).  Cut up a couple of shallots or a yellow onion (big pieces).  Roast it all together at 425 for about 30 minutes, turning once during cooking, or until the veggies are kind of caramelized.  Pour chicken broth over all and cook another 5 minutes.  Then put it all in a blender or a big bowl and use an immersion blender.  Add more chicken broth if needed and blend until smooth.  Season with salt and pepper.  You can also try seasoning it with some cumin and lime juice for a Southwestern style soup, or roast an apple along with the veggies and add some curry powder for an Indian style soup.  You can add some coconut milk to your bowl if you like.

joybedford, you are not alone!  I am also not feeling any tiger blood running through my veins either, and this is Day 16 for me.  I think I may be coming down with a bug of some sort, I'm just not feeling great.  That being said, its hard to do this program WITH support, and I cant imagine how difficult it would be without it.  Don't disappoint yourself, you have come a far way.  I have never stayed the course so long before, so its a pretty big accomplishment for me!

Sending positive thoughts  :D

Archived