Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

Hi all... Day 3 today that should have been day 5, but I got foiled by some ingredients in my pantry. Rookie mistake ( and a lesson to always read ingredients, even if you think you already read them!)

Feeling great. The most noticeable thing for me is the return of my feeling of "fullness". I think previously, I had lost or was overriding the cues my body was giving me, especially eating grains and cheese. It used to be nothing unusual for me to reach for a second bowl of pretty much anything we were having for dinner... Now I'm finding one bowl/plate , I am full/ satiated and content. It's really an interesting feeling, as previously I would eat to feeling over full.

I've also learned that if I don't start having any cheese or grains, I really don't crave them. I think that shows in this little amount of time a that these are not likely to be able to be added back in my diet in any capacity after this is done.

The other pleasant surprise is my sleeping. I'm normally a terrible insomniac, but I've actually slept straight through 3 nights, and the nights I have woken up, it's only been once and I've been able to go back to sleep in reasonable time. I also feel more alert u til later in the day. I had no idea my diet was playing such a part in my sleep patterns!

So, forging on. Really enjoying everyone's updates, I'm learning so much, even when I'm in the background.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on day 19 or 20 here! I've lost count of the day and don't even care really. Headed in to the weekend and for the first time in a long time I'm not afraid or fearful that I'm going to derail or make unhealthy choices! Typically, weekends have always been my biggest struggle with food. Not anymore! I'm feeling so confident, have already meal planned for the weekend. 

Mangokat - We've all made rookie mistakes! I can't tell you how many time I've started W30 and only made it a few days. Until now! You can do it!

KayKay & Praxis - thanks for sharing your tuna/salmon patties. I'm am seriously obsessed with these right now. I love putting them over spinach for a great salad. I made the salmon patty recipe straight from the ISWF book this past weekend and I've been hooked since. Those are a must try and so easy!!!

I also made the Shepard's Pie from the Well Fed cook book last night for dinner. It was delicious! It was hearty, filling, and felt like a nice comfort feed without any guilt or bloating! Try it out! I pureed the cauliflower a bit too much so it wasn't as full and fluffy as I would have preferred but I'll get that right next time. 

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/12/28/paleo-comfort-food-cottage-flower-pie/

What's on the menu for everyone this weekend? I'm making taco soup tonight and actually going to throw in the crockpot so it's even easier! http://foodcleanandsimple.com/2014/03/06/whole-30-day-3-taco-soup/

Saturday night I'm making red meat sauce over zoodles - a favorite! And Sunday I'm making Pad Thai with spaghetti squash which is delicious!! http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/

Happy Friday, everyone!

Today is my last day at school and we have a week off for Thanksgiving break! I will have two days of whole 30 when I get back and then I start reintroducing foods. 

I can't believe it is that close to being finished, and how much better I feel. I am excited to get on the scale and see the proof of the results in numbers, my pants are huge and I am never hungry. 

I made apple butter and date paste so I can make some apple butter pumpkin treats, I am using coconut milk rather than evaporated milk and a crust out of pecans and ghee, we will see how it turns out.  I know this goes against the spirit of whole30 but being Thanksgiving I wanted to see if there was something I could make that resembled a dessert with no sugar or dairy, its so funny how my attitude toward food has shifted. 

We are having a bonfire tonight. I was so excited I finally found bacon and hot dogs that I can eat, so I am not having to plan two different menus. 

It is amazing how much everyone has changed, my youngest niece said "thank god you got more coconut milk, it makes everything taste better."

Woot Woot Ladies and Gentlemen! We are almost through the 30 days. I know when I first started it felt like a punishment to avoid this and avoid that, but honestly, doesn't health feel great? Doesn't it feel amazing to have energy and not be trapped into food choices that make us less healthy?? I know I might be going on an endorphins tangent (post w/o) but living a whole life is so much more rewarding then being a slave to the SAD or the standard austrailian diet, new zealand diet, or european diet ( I know everyone is from everywhere!) But for me, health is so much more than just being able to get through days. It is being able to work long days, crush a workout, have a smile on my face, and be kind to people just because I have the energy to! Then, cook a great, healthy, satisfying, delicious meal and call it a night for a peaceful 8 hours.  Making POSITIVE food choices has an impact on so much more than just what is on your plate and what you place in your body.

Life is so amazing, and it is meant to be lived. I feel that the whole30 and the whole9 way of life really opens my eyes to the fact that we are so blessed every single day.

whoooooooooo-I just wanted to get that off my chest! Also, a whole30 sidenote, my boyfriend lives in Brighton, England, the long distance is tough but it is SOOOO great to hear him talk to me about the research he is doing on food and the choices he wants to make. He is amazing and so supportive! Hearing him say, "Rach is this paleo" or "What should I be eating for (insert basically any meal)" and the best "I think I can do this 80/20, but I am going to need your help" makes me realize that we are doing something right here.

Lastly, I just wanted to say, congratulations to all of you who are making this choice. We are all on the right path to a whole, happy, life :))

Okay! Tangent done! Have a great day!!!

Well I think im going to try goat again given what everyone has said! I was surprised too because I heard it was tasty. It did come with a sauce that I definitely couldnt have which probably would have made it taste better. Day 19! Ran this morning and then went to a visa appointment this morning. Now I just wait for their decision but the hard part is over. Back to eating regular meals as my schedule settles down a little now. However it was six hours between my first and second meal and I got "hangry" in the hour before eating. I was in a car sitting in traffic so there was nothing to be done. And my husband was singing to me which made me angry instead of amused..note to self...need to at least pack some nuts and an apple. It was pretty ugly honestly :) This weekend I plan on doing a lot of cooking and will be looking through recipes from the November peeps! Hope everyone is doing well..almost there!

Epiphany for me today:

I had been thinking, "Wow.  I haven't been very hungry lately."  

And then I realized, the issue was never that I really WAS hungry before.  I never fasted long enough to actually get hungry, I just mistook my cravings for hunger.  So I grabbed crap all the time to satisfy my cravings.  Including second helpings at most meals, or chips and sour cream in the evening.   I don't do that anymore because my food cravings are gone.  I eat when I need to, at meals, and I am good to go.

Wow.  This was big for me.

RachelRoberts2 - I freaking love your post and you're absolutely right. I love how there is so much inspiration here which is really what W30 is all about. It's only 30 days but it should change the way you leave and eat forever. I hope everyone is enjoying this experience as much as I am! 

Jess in the uk - I agree with the lamb. I just found out 2 weeks ago that I'm severely allergic to beef which I was eating a couple times a week. So, I tried lamb for the first time this week and couldn't tell a difference in the dish I made. It was so good! Try it!

I got my work done this morning and did hot yoga. It's cold and rainy here in Kansas! This means it's a perfect afternoon for me to cozy up with hot tea and play in the kitchen! 

Epiphany for me today:

I had been thinking, "Wow.  I haven't been very hungry lately."  

And then I realized, the issue was never that I really WAS hungry before.  I never fasted long enough to actually get hungry, I just mistook my cravings for hunger.  So I grabbed crap all the time to satisfy my cravings.  Including second helpings at most meals, or chips and sour cream in the evening.   I don't do that anymore because my food cravings are gone.  I eat when I need to, at meals, and I am good to go.

Wow.  This was big for me.

Jgreene - I made this exact discovery about a week in and it amazed me. I've always been one of those people "who is hungry all the time". During this W30 I've eaten big meals but haven't wanted to snack at all in between. This is huge for me too!  :D  :D  :D

jgreene- When I first started I was terrified of being hungry so I always took an apple and raw almonds everywhere just in case. Sometime I would eat them but I would say about half way in I stopped- 

I just let go of the snacks and make sure I eat enough at meals and I am not hungry, who knew

I'm on day 19 or 20 here! I've lost count of the day and don't even care really. Headed in to the weekend and for the first time in a long time I'm not afraid or fearful that I'm going to derail or make unhealthy choices! Typically, weekends have always been my biggest struggle with food. Not anymore! I'm feeling so confident, have already meal planned for the weekend. 

Mangokat - We've all made rookie mistakes! I can't tell you how many time I've started W30 and only made it a few days. Until now! You can do it!

KayKay & Praxis - thanks for sharing your tuna/salmon patties. I'm am seriously obsessed with these right now. I love putting them over spinach for a great salad. I made the salmon patty recipe straight from the ISWF book this past weekend and I've been hooked since. Those are a must try and so easy!!!

I also made the Shepard's Pie from the Well Fed cook book last night for dinner. It was delicious! It was hearty, filling, and felt like a nice comfort feed without any guilt or bloating! Try it out! I pureed the cauliflower a bit too much so it wasn't as full and fluffy as I would have preferred but I'll get that right next time. 

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/12/28/paleo-comfort-food-cottage-flower-pie/

What's on the menu for everyone this weekend? I'm making taco soup tonight and actually going to throw in the crockpot so it's even easier! http://foodcleanandsimple.com/2014/03/06/whole-30-day-3-taco-soup/

Saturday night I'm making red meat sauce over zoodles - a favorite! And Sunday I'm making Pad Thai with spaghetti squash which is delicious!! http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/

Happy Friday, everyone!

That taco soup looks simple and delicious!

I am making pork stew tonight. Hoping to make NomNom Paleo's Braised Cabbage this afternoon. Tomorrow I want to make Brazilian Fish Stew (allrecipes.com has a nice version), and Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup. Guess I better get off this forum and get to chopping veggie, lol!

Hello Everyone.  My name is Anastacia.  I am on day 18 of my first W30.  I realize that I'm jumping into posting late in the game, but I've been struggling with my sugar cravings of late and figured this was the next step for me in holding myself accountable so I don't have to restart again.  So, yeah.  Last day or two I've been having the food dreams and can practically taste all sorts of junk on my tongue.  But now that I've gone global that I'm not going to give in, perhaps that will be just enough motivation to follow-though for this chronic self-saboteur.

Fingers crossed for myself and kudos to everyone else on doing so well with your W30s.

I've been avoiding baking on the W30 because baked goods are my weakness. But tonight the kids and I baked a small batch (6) of vanilla cupcakes (they smelled amazing!), with two flavours of buttercream, and I SURVIVED! And then I went to the gym afterwards and didn't give those cupcakes another thought.

Ok, that's not true, but I'm completely ok with them being here :)

Day 22 here. Welcome to all the new folks that have joined recently! You're going to do (and feel) great!

I am beyond exasperated with my son. I am ready to dive into a bowl of ice cream. I have got to get my family in board.

Stop, breathe, focus on how you will feel after diving into the ice cream bowl .... Throwing away the distance covered so far .... Deep inside you know after the ice cream you won't feel better it will not magically sweep the exasperation away!

This is what I say to myself every time I am ready to throw the towel and get off the program.... Hope it helps

You have achieved so much on your own, dive in the feelings of greatness this should bring ... Not ice cream it's not worth it.

Rachelroberts2: My husband is English and I moved over to England two years ago. I came over on a fiancee visa, then after we got married a two year leave to remain, and the latest one is indefinite leave to remain which is really the final hurdle and means I dont have to apply again unless I want to become a British citizen. But I now have to wait for their decision ( I genuinely expect a good outcome) but it can take a couple of months and I cannot travel outside of the UK. I will be glad when it is all settled! It is a rollercoasrer ride but I wouldnt change it for the world! I am actually glad im doing whole30 now because usually I would be a stress ball and this has helped a lot! I think I read yourboyfriend is in Brighton?

Thanks Willow! I just went to bed in the end. Actually those moments where I want to break into the sweets are getting fewer and further between. My mood is much more stable lately. Hubby told me I am much nicer to be around when I am eating this way. I told him about my plan to go off reading at Christmas and he told me I would be very crabby that week, and then the next week I would be even worse. Didn't realize I was so predictable, lol! I often think about the fact that I am doing this partly for my family. When I feel bad about my body I tend to feel bad about everything. I heard a line in a song one time that went, "I'm the only mom they've got." I think about that a lot, how these little beings are so dependent on me, and I owe it to them to be the best me.

I am going to start experimenting with paleo baked treats for the kids. And I am going to make a list of all the meats and veggies they already like.

Ok, my daughter is begging me to make pancakes and I told her she should eat meat and vegetables, and she just told me she promises to eat some broccoli and meat with her pancake. Lol!

Hi everyone!  My name is Julianna and I'm from New York.  I am starting the W30 Nov. 24 .  I'm doing this to improve my overall health in general and to lose weight.  Most of my life I have been overweight, but about four years ago I was at my healthiest and it felt great.  Then I went back to school, was still working full time, and I completely gave up on trying to eat healthy.  Now, four years later, I am at the heaviest I have ever been in my life and it feels awful.  And, for me, it's honestly not even about "looking good," but this is the first time in my life where I am beginning to feel the negative effects of my weight on my everyday life (ie. getting tired going up the stairs, not being able to run very far, joint pain, etc.)  So, I decided that it was finally time to do something about it and change my lifestyle.  

There are going to be a few challenges for me... One is the fact that my husband will not be doing the W30 with me and he likes to eat a lot of junk (but somehow never gains ANY weight!), so there will be lots of non W30 food around me at my house.  But, I guess they will be around everywhere, so that's on me to develop the skills to resist eating the crap food that's out there.  Another challenge for me is going to be the no alcohol rule, the holidays are coming up and I generally like to have a few drinks on the weekend or when I get home from work.  Well, there are going to be many challenges for me in the next 30 days (habits are hard to break!), but I am going to spend today preparing for those challenges, meal planning, and food shopping, so that I will be ready to start this journey come Monday.

I wish everyone success on their own journey and look forward to hearing about them on the message boards.  Peace!

Rachelroberts2: Aww thanks for the well wishes! Brighton is on the south coast and I am northern England in a city called Sheffield. Its relatively close to Manchester. I can relate to the long distance and deciding the next steps :) That is good that you have lived over here so you kind of know if you could do it. The visa process can be long and tedious (and expensive) but if you do everything right then generally you are accepted. Good luck with your decision and if you need any help with visa questions I could definitely draw from my experiences!

Haven't really posted since my first days, but so far everything has been going really well! I read some of your posts and I just have to agree. Before starting Whole30, I was also sure I was one of those "chronically hungry people". But now I can go 5-6 hours without food no problem - so freeing! It is so liberating to eat breakfast and then go out and do something - not worrying about when to eat next! 

I'm still working on listening to my hunger cues though. Somedays I just eat meal2 og meal3, because I feel like it's time to eat. Not necessarily because I'm hungry - or I'm not quite sure whether I'm hungry or not. Can anyone relate?
Maybe that's normal, when you haven't listened to your body before. I would go days eating very little - and then binge+purge other days.. Such a bad circle to get caught in. 

Day 10 is almost over for me - 1/3 way through, yippee!! And only feeling better, more confident and more "right" in my body and trusting it moreso than I have for the last couple of years. Whole30 really is a life changing journey for me!

So excited to follow you guys' journey too!

For those of you on day 20-ish: WAY TO GO! YOU ROCK!
And for those of you just starting out: WELCOME AND THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU! You won't regret it :) 

Day 20..sleep still not great the last couple of days but today was close to perfect in terms of meals after the last hectic three days. I literally did nothing today and actually made myself go to the gym just to get some movement. I said I wouldnt make myself work out unless I wanted to but I did. Dont really know how I feel about that since I wanted to free myself from feeling that obligation. I have taken a break from hot yoga but I think I really miss it. But yoga+crossfit=expensive! No tiger blood....need more sleep! Positives..two amazing concerts this week and no alcohol. I thought I would crave it but nope didnt miss it :)

Archived