Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

I too am concerned about the weeks following up to Christmas, all the social events are centered around food. I suppose they always have been, but now I am much more aware of whats going into my body, I am quite nervous!

Prepping is becoming easier, I am always making double batches of everything! The fridge is always full of good choices.

My day 30 is Dec 2 but I think I will go a few more days to round up to the following weekend.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joy, I don't know if you're still on here, but I just wanted to wish you luck and also say that you are just as important as everyone else in your family. Please try to put yourself first, it will make you a happier wife and mom.

Julie, it sounds like you are ready for reintro! Do you ever use Pinterest? Just another way to keep all your recipes in one place (but oh so addictive!).

Susanleona, same as 2babies, I let everyone taste test for me. They're the ones eating it anyway. The work part does sound trickier.

Day 24 here! I can't believe there's less than a week. I still don't know what to reintroduce first. I have no health issues that I'm aware of (or maybe that's the point--to discover something?) except I know that grains and/or dairy cause breakouts...but I want them both back equally! Actually, the grains can wait.

Wishing everyone a great week and a happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans here!

What am I looking forward to this week? iam not living in the U.S. so I wont be having a traditional Thanksgiving..Instead im going to hot yoga Thursday night :) I started a new job this week so I am looking forward to making it through...I had a great career in the U.S. but havent found my feet here in the UK yet but fingers crossed, I think I am going to enjoy this one. Normally I would celebrate my first week with some wine but I am booking a massage for myself this weekend. Its going to be my little treat to myself. I am not going to lie..yesterday I was struggling...big time. But today I feel just good and hopefully this continues.

Julie: im with you on keeping up the support next week. I dont have a plan yet but I dont want to go off the rails full stop. i want to add raw sugar in but dont think thats going to help me. I like your plan; it made me realize i need one. Holidays or not, i dont want to revert back to the same old patterns!

I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever slay the sugar dragon :(

Are you eating too much fruit?  I saw someone mention drinking two glassed of orange juice a day and I thought, "Holy Moly!"  I think juice is really only permitted in very small amounts as an ingredient in some dishes and not for drinking.  

I think if I was eating too much fruit the sugar dragon would never leave.  Even in fruit form it is easy to binge on. 

KayKay- I wonder too :) it is in everything! And processed sugar is a relatively new thing in human consumption. Fruit too was seasonal (at least for my ancestors) and now you can pretty much get everything all year. Plus, 30 days cant undo the years of full on sugar consumption. I remember Halloween year after year of consuming huge amounts of candy and that is just one day in the average childhood of an American kid...dont know whats its like in Canada. And its only gotten worse! Plus I have years of "low fat" eating which is full of sugar. I dont know if you can slay the dragon...at least for me. I just want him (dont know why its automatically male) to stay far away. For me...I just have to stay mindful that he is waiting to come out. Im even worried about "paleo treats" because I know in my mind, I will think its healthy so I can have more :) I need to define what a treat is. Im not going to have entire cheat days...I think im going for one thing twice a week...like wine or one dessert...dont really know but trying to put a plan in place!

Are you eating too much fruit?  I saw someone mention drinking two glassed of orange juice a day and I thought, "Holy Moly!"  I think juice is really only permitted in very small amounts as an ingredient in some dishes and not for drinking.  

I think if I was eating too much fruit the sugar dragon would never leave.  Even in fruit form it is easy to binge on.

No! I never drink juice and at most have two servings of fruit a day. I can't even bring myself to eat an entire banana in one sitting ever since I counted macros for a time last year and realized how carby they are (crazy, I know). I mean, just that post-meal urge for sweetness. It's still there. But now instead of cookies, like I might have had a few years ago, it's an apple or dried figs or frozen banana slices. But it's still ending on sweet. Almost always. And I want to be free of that!

KayKay- I wonder too :) it is in everything! And processed sugar is a relatively new thing in human consumption. Fruit too was seasonal (at least for my ancestors) and now you can pretty much get everything all year. Plus, 30 days cant undo the years of full on sugar consumption. I remember Halloween year after year of consuming huge amounts of candy and that is just one day in the average childhood of an American kid...dont know whats its like in Canada. And its only gotten worse! Plus I have years of "low fat" eating which is full of sugar. I dont know if you can slay the dragon...at least for me. I just want him (dont know why its automatically male) to stay far away. For me...I just have to stay mindful that he is waiting to come out. Im even worried about "paleo treats" because I know in my mind, I will think its healthy so I can have more :) I need to define what a treat is. Im not going to have entire cheat days...I think im going for one thing twice a week...like wine or one dessert...dont really know but trying to put a plan in place!

Yes! Halloween is the same here. In university I remember eating so much candy with my friends because it was low fat. That stupid low-fat craze! It really screwed so many people up. And paleo treats were my downfall for a while too. That being said, I love the food I eat now. But that "sweet finish" has to go away!

Hi all! I've only posted a few times on a different thread, and I'm only at day 7. It looks like many of you are wrapping up your whole30, which is awesome! Is there anyone else on here who is a November late bloomer like me? I would really appreciate a few buddies who would be willing to do a daily post/maybe even a daily food list here for the next week or so...I have mega extended family and mega kids to contend with this weekend and a very stressful work project that will wrap up (hopefully not as the biggest disaster in the history of mankind) right after Thanksgiving week....in other words, accountability and the sense that I'm not the only person crazy enough to jump into this right before the holidays would be SO appreciated.

Welcome Strava! I am planning to stick around after day 30. So if you want to keep this forum active I will keep checking in here. I wasn't sure where I should post anyway. I am on day 24 but I am not stopping until Christmas.

Went to bed feeling really powerful last night. Feeling really healthy, steady energy, happy belly. I am looking forward to waking up on day 31with no desire to stop eating this way.

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!!

Normally I feel really on top of things but I'm slightly nervous going into Thanksgiving! I timed my whole30 to end just before Thanksgiving but I don't particularly want to veer off course for a Holiday that can be managed whole30esque. How does everyone feel about SWYPO items like stuffing for Thanksgiving and some sort of sweet dessert? My family has done a whole30 in the past, but since I don't go home much they try and guilt me into eating foods that I just don't want to eat. Basically, can someone help me out as far as what is a definite No-go SWYPO items etc, or what you guys plan to cook for the big ol turkey day. I actually plan on going to the grocery store (trader joes, whole foods) tomorrow and prep all the food before T-day because I am running in a 5 miler on the day!

Whats a better way to be Thankful on Thursday than eat a big plate of food that will make you more healthy :))

Thanks in advance!

Welcome Stravajunkie! I'll be sticking around into December, too!

Rachel, if you will be done by Thanksgiving but still want to stay as Whole30 complaint as possible, I have a recipe for a paleo pumpkin pie that uses crushed nuts for the crust.  If you are interested I can get it to you.  The only non-compliant ingredient in 1/2 c honey.

Hey hummus lovers, I made raw carrot hummus today and it is delicious! Its a great dip with raw veggies, but I think I might pair it with pork chops! 

http://thetastyalternative.com/2011/11/raw-carrot-hummus-scd-paleo-gaps/

Welcome Stravajunkie! I'll be sticking around into December, too!

Rachel, if you will be done by Thanksgiving but still want to stay as Whole30 complaint as possible, I have a recipe for a paleo pumpkin pie that uses crushed nuts for the crust.  If you are interested I can get it to you.  The only non-compliant ingredient in 1/2 c honey.

That would be awesome!! Send it my way :) I am considering just whole30ing it up until December as well but I would love to take a look at the recipe :)

Everyday Paleo Pumpkin Pie

Crust:

1/2 cup hazelnuts

1 cup pecans

4 tablespoons melted ghee

pinch of sea salt

Preheat oven to 350. Place the nuts in a food processor and process until the 

nuts are a flour like or almond meal like consistency. Pour into a small mixing 

bowl, add the butter and salt and mix into a thick dough. Using your hands, 

spread evenly into a pie pan and back for 10 minutes.

Filling

1 – 14oz can of organic pumpkin puree (nothing added, just pumpkin)

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon fresh grated ginger

2 eggs

1/2 cup raw organic honey (can leave out if on Whole30 - maybe add a little juice instead)

1/2 cup coconut milk

While the crust is in the oven, whisk all of the pie filling ingredients 

together. Pour into the crust that has been baked for 10 minutes, return to the 

oven and bake for and additional 45 minutes.

Stravajunkie, I am on day 12 so I will be here too. I will try and check in more often. I read all the entries but have trouble finding time to type my own :).

I am an American living in Canada so this week I will be making my family a small, compliant Thanksgiving dinner. All of the noncompliant stuff will only be on the computer via Skype!

Had a big win last night. Made some fantastic garlic mashed cauliflower and the whole family loved it more than mashed potatoes! Definitely a new go-to side for us.

I have also been really good about prepping breakfasts and lunches ahead of time which has been a lifesaver. The mason jar salads are a huge hit. All I do is portion out protein and sometimes soup to go with it. Every Saturday night I roast a big pastured chicken so we have several meals and bone broth weekly.

I am so happy with how I am feeling on this plan.

My energy level is better than it has been in over a year and my IC is totally under control. The Whole30 isn't the only healthy change I've made to make that happen but it is a huge factor.

My only issue of late is feeling short tempered and sometimes snappy with my kids. Hope that levels out soon...

Rachel, I plan on making two recipes from The Clothes Make the Girl.

Cranberry Waldorf Salad  http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/11/15/cranberry-waldorf-salad/  This can definitely be made in advance

Velvety Butternut Squash  http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/11/17/velvety-butternut-squash/  

I think they are both compliant, although I am going to eat the Waldorf Salad for my "dessert".  I don't think these two things are going to take me off course.  I hope that answers your question.  

Day 23 and can it possibly be I felt a little tiger blood? Sleep well and was steady throughout the day. One cup of coffee with breakfast and a cup of green tea in the late morning. Think the lack of caffeine is helping me sleep better. Energy levels even and wasnt hungry between meals. Even went for an interval run after work. Did feel a slight dip after work but im chalking that up to getting up at 6:30 and starting a new teaching job this week. I feel just calm and chilled. Cannot believe there are 7 days left...i might keep going a few extra days. We will see what tomorrow brings! Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans. Enjoy your turkey!

Sorry guys I too am out. I'm so cross with myself!!!!! :angry: beware of taste testing non whole 30 punch by accident. I always have  non-alcoholic drinks on hand for 'P' platters, designated drivers and non alcho drinkers. I had prepped everything, my beautiful slow cooked lambs came out beautifully and EVERYBODY  was enjoying a whole 30 compliant meal - except me , I could have cried because busted is busted even tho it was an uncouncious moment.

So back to the beggining- I have learnt I have amazing self control, I love cooking new stuff, I hate being under the pump.. time wise- I think too far ahead and forget where I am in the present-" taste test punch.. needs more kick adda bit more dry ginger ale... yep that's good! .. ohh #@#@#@#$# I just busted the whole 30"

To all those nearly finished "Happy Thanksgiving" and blessings for "Christmas", to all who are just starting have fun and enjoy this incredible journey of discovery.

As for me I will continue eating whole 30 but I know It won't be consecutive days now untill after Christmas and Boxing day.

thankyou for all your posts, be blessed and hold fast to your health ;)

Heatherglick: I might extend mine as well past the thirty days. Day 30 for me is next Tuesday and I wanted to wait until the weekend to add anything back. I know I will have to call it quits by Dec. 13th as I have a Christmas dinner and im having Beef Wellington..pretty sure that doesnt fit in the whole 30 :) I am just starting to feel consistently good so I kind of dont want to mess with it and just see what happens!

Weird observation: my hair feels softer and isnt as frizzy and its cold and rainy! And I swear its growing faster! I have no idea if I lost weight because I do not own a scale and weight loss was not one of my goals but I feel better...very even and calm. And dont get me started on my skin. Its so soft and smooth! Weird!

Hi All!

Thanks for all the inspiring posts - I'm on Day 26, and while I haven't had any serious cravings or withdrawals, I also haven't experienced any of the benefits I was most hoping for, namely better sleep.  I've been an insomniac since puberty, and I was really hoping this would make a difference.  I also haven't had much energy (certainly no tiger blood), which I'm sure is related to the lack of sleep.

I highly doubt that my body was better off pre-Whole30, but as I approach the reintroduction phase, I'm wondering if anyone who's done the program before has seen really delayed results.  Like, if I give this another week or two, might I start sleeping better & having amazing hair & nails?  It's obviously taken a ton of work to follow this program to the letter, and I'd hate to quit too soon, but I also know I don't want to make myself crazy with cooking/missing holiday fun/etc if I'm somehow not predisposed to the benefits.  

Any input is very much appreciated, I'm feeling pretty alone on this since everyone seems to be feeling so incredible by now - it's definitely discouraging.

Thank you!!

Starting to get pretty quiet here!

Jess, those results sound amazing! I want that!

Lauren, I have no idea what to advise you, although I have read it takes some people longer to see results. I have never done a proper reintroduction.

I totally snacked on fruit today while doing some Thanksgiving prep work. Now I am feeling it in my gut.

I want to eat chocolate with abandon but there is no benefit to it. I don't feel amazing but I don't feel bad, like I used to. I guess that's the main reason I'm sticking with this.

Lauren, have you looked into the possibility of a magnesium deficiency?  In my health research over the past year I have come across a lot of people who have been able to pin insomnia as a magnesium deficiency and have used transdermal (topical) therapy and it has really helped their sleep.

Just a thought!

I'll be here through the end of the year, too.  I had an accidental lapse on some roasted red pepper soup that had dairy in it and will restart officially after Thanksgiving.  I am doing a 100% paleo Thanksgiving, though I did make two pies that do have honey and maple syrup in them, so not whole30.  See you guys on Friday!  I may have a family member starting mid-December with me, too.  My roommate is already Paleo which makes it so much easier to be in a household together.  My hips have been aching up a storm, which they always do when I get dairy, as I discovered after my first whole30.  Nothing like bone pain to keep me compliant.

Archived