Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

Day 4 coming to an end well it's dark outside. Today I am so tired, not worked out yet as I had shopping and laundry to do so I still have that to do, I will have to seriously give myself a pep talk to workout. I can't even be bothered to cook dinner but as I have 3 children I suppose I should. I am not really hungry but I will eat leftover chilli and sweet potato. I still have a headache in fact my whole face aches especially my jaw. Early night tonight I think I just hope the kids don't bother me too much, such a bad mummy.

Breakfast was veggie omelette

Dinner salmon, salad and mayo followed by grapefruit and raspberries.

Dinner chilli and sweet potato.

I have some chicken stock cooking for soup tomorrow also. Not sure what post workout snack will be maybe an apple and cashew nut butter.

Hope tomorrow's better and that everyone else is doing ok.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had it with myself. I'm sitting here at my desk still bloated from last night's work happy hour and subsequent extravagant dinner, my hands are puffy and my skin itches. I have some fresh new pimples claiming their territory on my face, I looked at myself in the mirror this morning while getting dressed and it broke my heart to see an accomplished woman who is sad, and losing her battle with herself. Over the last few months I have let myself eat and drink to complacency. I have abused my body and have treated myself poorly, I have surrendered my personal sense of worth to moments of alcohol and food fueled anesthesia. It is time to deal with the problem, to cut out the distractions and really give myself time to heal my body and my spirit. So I am committing to 30 days of eating right, giving up booze and smokes and telling myself I am not good enough. I am giving myself this small gift. And it starts today.

xoxo Rebekah from NYC

Day 4 coming to an end here and I escaped without biting anyones head off, although rush hour traffic pushed me a bit too far and I ended up in tears in the car- ridiculous I know!

Hoping that the rage subsides before tomorrow. I'm sleeping better already I have to say!

KayKay - plan early! :) It's much easier to say "I have a special meal tonight, the chef knows" to wait staff, instead of having to do it all in front of everyone. Staff are also more available to help in quiet times, rather than rush hours. Chefs also have more options when they know in advance, they can alter shopping and prep accordingly. Eating before you go also means you don't need to eat, as you're not starving. 

Keely - icecream makes me sick too, mostly it's the dairy, but most of them are also made with lots of nasties including glucose made from wheat. I love mexican too, if you can get some plantains, they go great with lots of spicy mexican things (and guac!).

LovingLife - I love the mayo too! Have you tried the Sunshine Sauce yet? I take extra Vitamin D and Magnesium for my bones.

Ladybugger - try peppermint tea instead of gum, it's very refreshing :)

Hi Rob :) I'm in the pre-diabetic category and so far fighting it off :) I found no grains and no dairy helped a lot with my energy levels, especially the grains.

Kristen - I'm not sure how far away Thanksgiving is, but marshmallows would mean you need to restart. There's quite a lot of yummy paleo thanksgiving recipes and sweet potatoes are all good :)

Welcome Rebekah :) I think you're going to feel great after 30 days. Get lots of sleep, detox may be rough for you.

Hazel - Have some sweet potato, it helps! It passes.

Decided not to work out. My headache has got much worse and I am exhausted. I am in bed at 9pm with a cup of peppermint tea. Hope I feel better tomorrow as it feels like I am beginning a flare up of my fibromyalgia and I really don't have time for that. Is it possible my symptoms will get worse before they get better.

praxisproject - great recommendation on the plantains. I really hadn't thought of that! I love trying new things!

joybedford - This is my first Whole30 so I'm definitely not an expert. But from all I've read and researched, it gets worse for almost everyone before it gets better. Your body is basically detoxing from all the sugars, additives, etc., that it's probably had almost daily for a long time. That's not going to feel good. You can read above about headaches, fatigue, etc., that others are experiencing before we all start feeling all the awesomeness that is coming! Just keep going! You can do it!

And so Day 4 comes to an end.

Because I've done two Whole30s, I feel as if these days have been commonplace with the exception of no Greek yogurt and ice cream late at night. I suppose the take-away is that this program gets easier and everyone can find success with large and small habits. During my first Whole30, I dropped artificial sweeteners and never ever went back. After my second Whole30, I curbed my carb intake. Sweets and snacking are still my nemesis.

I stuck my hand into the raisins and almond boxes pretty often today so I have not made much headway on the snacking or sugar addiction. I hope that tomorrow is better. (I am forcing myself to be human. I don't want to beat myself up for this. The rest of the day was pretty good.)

Day 4 - Proud of myself, I made my own chicken stock yesterday; I made a lunch date to walk the dogs/baby with my neighbor for tomorrow, and another walking date with another friend on Thursday after work. When I felt like killing something I chopped kindling.

Day 4 nearly in the books! Proud that I didn't rage on anyone today (an accomplishment because I was anxious about conducting an inservice for my school's entire faculty), and I'm super thankful for supportive coworkers who are hiding their candy bowls. :-)

Reading posts through the day helped keep me motivated and accountable, so thank you!!

Second night on the road this week, feeling pretty decent walked for a couple of miles this morning and then did another mile this evening along with jumping rope.

Slept pretty good last night and no headache today

Question - Found precooked roasted chicken patties at Trader Joes today - 0 sugar and 0 carbs, the ingredients were pretty simple chicken salt, pepper, dehydrated garlic and canola oil - is this considered a Whole Food? 

And so Day 4 comes to an end.

Because I've done two Whole30s, I feel as if these days have been commonplace with the exception of no Greek yogurt and ice cream late at night. I suppose the take-away is that this program gets easier and everyone can find success with large and small habits. During my first Whole30, I dropped artificial sweeteners and never ever went back. After my second Whole30, I curbed my carb intake. Sweets and snacking are still my nemesis.

I stuck my hand into the raisins and almond boxes pretty often today so I have not made much headway on the snacking or sugar addiction. I hope that tomorrow is better. (I am forcing myself to be human. I don't want to beat myself up for this. The rest of the day was pretty good.)

I could have written this same post. This second time around is pretty straightforward except I'm not enjoying my squares of dark chocolate, and oh, I do miss ice cream. I'm really looking forward to the tiger blood feeling again!

Remembered I had some Russet potatoes so diced up a couple small ones and simmered them in clarified butter along with some green beans and a hamburger patty.  Was a tasty dinner, but am hungry again.  

Sugar Daemon is conquered but the carb one still makes me think i am hungry and should eat, but I won't listen.  

Day 3 done! My sweet potatoes weren't done at dinner time, so I cracked open a can of butternut squash. So glad I bought that!

Rage today. Snapped at my hubby and both sons, one of whom is 1. Poor little guy. I really hope my mood evens out. I have struggled with depression this year and that is another reason why I am doing this.

M1: southwestern frittata, olives, coffee with coconut milk

M2: 2 handfuls almonds, leftover turkey cacciatore over cabbage, olives, apple

Snack: 2 hb eggs, larabar

M3: Puerto Rican beef from Everyday Paleo over butternut squash, olives, 3 cuties.

• Moderators

Question - Found precooked roasted chicken patties at Trader Joes today - 0 sugar and 0 carbs, the ingredients were pretty simple chicken salt, pepper, dehydrated garlic and canola oil - is this considered a Whole Food? 

From the Can I Have list:

Canola Oil: Yes, reluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Tip: Eliminate the consumption of vegetable oils at home, even if you’re not on the Whole30, and make sure the rest of your diet is focused on the most nutritious choices possible, especially if you dine out frequently.

Keely - so good with guac! :D

SWF - for travel that sounds handy, but I'd avoid for every day because of the canola oil if you have other options. Canola oil is high in PUFAs and is often rancid before it's even in the bottle (ick!). But sometimes the choices are canola or something worse :)

There's a good breakdown on oils and PUFAs here if anyone's interested:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/

Skoshi - How are you enjoying your first batch of bone broth? :D

2babies2kidsmom - If you're feeling cranky, some extra carbs can help, sweet potato, plantains, pumpkin.

Making a batch of Silky Gingered Soup tonight, it's so delicious, I have to try not to eat it all! 
http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/

Hi, my name is Katherine from Ontario Canada and this is Day 3 of my very first attempt at a whole30.  I didn't even know I was a grazer until I actually started watching what I ate in a day, never used to eat like that, the stress at work is mostly the issue there.  I actually have taken the time to savour my lunch, instead of mindlessly eating at my workstation.  Big positive right there!  I am really missing my sleep, cant seem to stay in bed more than 5 hours, hopefully this will work itself out??  For me, its going to be the wine dragon :rolleyes:, its the only thing I have missed so far. 

I feel a little better today, still got a mild headache and jaw pain but energy levels are much better( I did sleep for almost 10 hours last night though). Today I have been busy making soup with the chicken stock I made yesterday. I have made ginger courgette soup and butternut squash. I now need to make more stock it didn't go very far for all the time it took to make.

I am about to get my workout in and then housework before I collect the kids from school.

I will post meals later as I haven't planned them yet, my fussy daughter is rebelling against all the healthy food and refused to eat what I had planned last night she is slightly overweight for her age and has her own sugar monster to fight. Her twin brother is very underweight and struggles to eat. Time to get that girls eating under control. Wish me luck.

So I have been in a bit of pain today, had some terrible leg cramps lastnight and foot this morning, something I haven't had for years. Went for a swim today and that has helped to loosen things up a bit, but I was wondering if this was associated with the Whole30??

I did a little search and have found that yes a lot of other people have also suffered from this when starting whole30!! I'll be checking which foods might be able to help my magnesium and potassium levels and hopefully that will the the last of that!

Hope no-one else is suffering from this too, if you've got other suggestions, let me know. Other than that and being a little tired and grumpy I appear to have survived day 5 - woo hoo!!

Hi again,

Also wondering if anyone has strategy suggestions for dealing with after dinner snack attacks. I find the habit hard to break and currently  still doing it, even tho the foods I'm choosing are OK. I would like to stop. Do the habitual cravings settle down on their own? Or do any of you have tricks?

Catr9 - Brushing my teeth helps me out with snacking after dinner

Praxisproject - I haven't tried the sunshine sauce yet, but looking forward to making it soon

Since the bone broth is so thick and gelatinous, is there a need to water it down a bit when making soup?

Day 6 and hanging in there. I noticed yesterday that I was extremely tired and went to bed early - slept like a baby. I didn't experience any of the hangover or desire to kill all things. This nap thing isn't supposed to start until day 6, but I think I'm onto it a day early. Maybe that means my tiger blood will kick in earlier too. ;) All this planning, cooking and cleaning up is wearing on me and I sure do miss that stevia in my coffee. Enough whining bc I'm winning! Grass fed NY strip is on the menu tonight - that's going to be much easier!

LovingLife - if you make a really gelatinous bone broth, yes you may want to cut it with some water in a soup. My bone broths have not been very gelatinous yet - I don't think I'm letting them simmer long enough.

Catr9 - I don't think the Whole30 program approves of cannibalism, but your post made LOL at work. I, too, had a bit of a rage at my partner last night. She laughed when I was told her I was going to my ladies book club & I was infuriated. Because REASONS. I apologized this morning by making her breakfast.

After-dinner snacking - I drink cups of hot herbal tea.

I'm officially on Day 3. Yesterday went fine even though I was traveling for work. I packed a breakfast & a lunch & made it home in time for dinner. Then I went to book club & had my first experience of being That Person in a social situation - I couldn't have any wine, or pastries. However, the hostess did have some deli meats on the snack tray, as well as olives! So I ate some of that & drank water. It was fine. Lots of questions from the group about the Whole30.

Today I had sweet potato quiche, a prosciutto muffin, & half an avocado for breakfast, along with hot black tea. Adding the avocado is KEY - previous mornings I have felt hungry around this time (~10:30 AM) & today I feel great! Healthy fats = staying power!

Lunch is a salad, some chicken & vegetable soup (made with bone broth as the stock), some fruit, & kombucha.

The real test starts tonight - we have a guest staying with us for the next five days. I have dinner planned for tonight, & then she wants to go out Friday & Saturday nights for dinner.  I have done some research & found five restaurants in Denver that look like good possibilities. We shall see how I do at being That Person in a restaurant. 

To the UK folks, have a great Guy Fawkes Day! Enjoy all the fireworks!

So I have been in a bit of pain today, had some terrible leg cramps lastnight and foot this morning, something I haven't had for years. Went for a swim today and that has helped to loosen things up a bit, but I was wondering if this was associated with the Whole30??

I did a little search and have found that yes a lot of other people have also suffered from this when starting whole30!! I'll be checking which foods might be able to help my magnesium and potassium levels and hopefully that will the the last of that!

Hope no-one else is suffering from this too, if you've got other suggestions, let me know. Other than that and being a little tired and grumpy I appear to have survived day 5 - woo hoo!!

I get Charlie horses when I cut out dairy, so another option might be more foods with calcium and/or supplements.

Archived