Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

We have some beautiful tomatoes at the market here in Florida. I am roasting thick slices of tomatoes & eggplant, stacking them and drizzling homemade pesto over the top today.

I might need to adopt some of the vegetarian modifications like beans and lentils; feeling as if I need the extra source of protein and nuts are no-brake foods for me. (I start and just keep on snacking them.) I am not a vegetarian but meat doesn't have any appeal to me for either meal 1 or meal 2.

Awesome Orange Theory class this morning and feeling on top of the world. I wish this feeling for everybody. Day 6 and off...

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting Day 6, so far, doing great. My insides feel better and slimmer, but I still have headaches. Today, I will focus on drinking more water as I'm sure that's part f the problem.

Yesterday, was mentally tough. I may have chewed someone's head off, lol, but my food choices have been stellar. I'm having a harder time with the "goal" sheet, cause I "gave up all foods that make life worth living" and needed some comforts of my old routine.

I also have been tempted to step on the scale, but that's not what this is really about, so I will focus on a NonScale Victory: my blood sugar has been awesome even while eating fruit (in part due to new medication, but the healthy eating definitely helps and the meds allow me to eat fruit). Also, my BFF is holding on to my favorite prepregnancy jeans (that I wore 8 years and 50 pounds ago) and that is some serious motivation!

So, wow, day 6! That's almost a full week! And like 1/5 the of the way through a W30!!!!

Sorry for the multiple posts. I guess I should have used the multiple quote function.

Some reflections from yesterday. This is almost easier than eating sugar because I don't have to expend the mental energy trying to figure out what and how I will binge without my family knowing. The kids want to eat whatever I am eating, so I don't like to snack on junk in front of them obviously. Whenever I eat junk in front of my hubby I can't enjoy it because he knows I am unhappy with my body, so he always asks why I am doing it.

Yesterday I woke up less tired than usual even though I had to stay up late the night before (a late night plumbing project. That's what I get for living in the middle of nowhere with a DIY hubby). Anyway, it made we wonder about what kinds of foods are best after a poor night's sleep. Is it best to really push the starchy veggies, or to go low carb? Or does it matter when you are eating clean anyway?

My belly feels great. I really feel like I am getting rid of all the garbage in my body. My stomach doesn't have that heavy, yucky feeling all the time.

I might need to adopt some of the vegetarian modifications like beans and lentils; feeling as if I need the extra source of protein and nuts are no-brake foods for me. (I start and just keep on snacking them.) I am not a vegetarian but meat doesn't have any appeal to me for either meal 1 or meal 2.

Please don't do this. Nuts aren't a protein source, they are a fat source, but there are lots of other options for protein that will serve you better than compromising and adding legumes to your plan: these are only allowed for vegetarians, ie. people who will not eat any of the other protein sources. That's not you.

Here are some suggestions to get over the meat issue: http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

Welcome Rachel! Did you do any reintroductions, or just a restart? 

Hi!! So good to be chatting with likeminded people!! I actually did one introduction just for fun, I had some coconut milk ice cream and even though it was delicious, the sugar and the feeling afterward wasn't!! Then I realized this is definitely just a way of life :)) How is everyone doing?? It is cold and rainy here today so I am excited for some roasted vegetables, some mashed cauliflower and some red meat tonight!!

We have some beautiful tomatoes at the market here in Florida. I am roasting thick slices of tomatoes & eggplant, stacking them and drizzling homemade pesto over the top today.

Awesome Orange Theory class this morning and feeling on top of the world. I wish this feeling for everybody. Day 6 and off...

Whenever I'm in South Florida long enough I stop by the Yellow Green Farmers Market in Hollywood, really great selection.

http://www.ygfarmersmarket.com/

Hi. Im TerriAnn. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada.

I completed a successful whole 30 in winter ( about the same time actually) of 2012. It was great. I felt great, I slept and had natural energy.

I live with bowel disease ( ulcerative  colitis) and the whole 30 really helped put my disease  into remission. Im still not flaring, but my diet has become slowly and progressively worse over the 2 years. 

My clothes don't fit well, some don't fit at all anymore.

I started on Nov3, here we go..........

Good morning Team November! I just want to post to say - I SLEPT SO WELL LAST NIGHT. I have chronic, incessant insomnia, but last night I slept from 11 PM straight through to 6 AM - no sleeping pills, no alcohol, nothing! It was brilliant & I feel like a million bucks this morning.

My partner is making coffee & cooking omelettes for breakfast & then we're going hiking with our guest. I've packed a trail lunch for all three of us. It's going to be a fantastic day!

It's Day 3. I have been doing pretty well. Saw an acupuncturist to help deal with my stress and anxiety. I really enjoyed the experience and I think it actually helped having needles pushed into my forehead. My mom is also starting the Whole 30. Which is great because even though we are far from each other, I know we can be each other's allies. I am slightly worried about a good friend's birthday happy hour this friday. I plan on eating dinner before and ordering seltzer's with lime at the bar, so to the untrained eye it will look like I am drinking and I can avoid the myriad of questions. Here's hoping. 

I completed a Whole 30 last summer and lost 17 lbs. Back then the concentration was on Whole 30 only.  In the last 6 months I have been walking 6 days a week building up to 5 miles a day. I feel great and my blood pressure has dropped from 140/96 to 110/70. Now I need for the inside health to translate to the outside. Starting on Nov 6 and I am right behind you.  :)

Hi. Im TerriAnn. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada.

I completed a successful whole 30 in winter ( about the same time actually) of 2012. It was great. I felt great, I slept and had natural energy.

I live with bowel disease ( ulcerative  colitis) and the whole 30 really helped put my disease  into remission. Im still not flaring, but my diet has become slowly and progressively worse over the 2 years. 

My clothes don't fit well, some don't fit at all anymore.

I started on Nov3, here we go..........

Hi TerriAnn (I'm also in SW Ontario :)) - I'd love to know how the Whole30 alleviates any ulcerative colitis symptoms. My mother-in-law also suffers from UC and is currently getting monthly drug infusions to treat it. We'd love to see her off those drugs and treating herself through a better diet, but I don't know enough about colitis. Keep us posted!! And good luck!

I too have had headaches for day 3 and today, day 4. i'm  going  to try drinking more water, see if it helps.

Im already noticing a change in how my bowels are working. I thingk its very individual, but for myself and my colitis wheat and sugar are deadly enemies to my system. Too bad that's not enough to make me stop eating them for good huh?

I did NOT sleep last night at all. My emotions were high,  going in to bed, and my brain would not shut off. 

Im looking forward to sleeping tonight. Im not a good sleeper. I am a fretter. 

Having said that i didnt sleep, I dont  feel as awful today without sleep as i have in the past. Less brain fog actually when dead tired. 

I think there are posts about incorporating more meat into the diet for those who are having trouble with the protein.  I haven't seen a moderator chime in here, but I think he would say you are either vegetarian, or you are not.  If you add beans and lentils in, in addition to meat at dinner, you are not doing a whole30.  You may want post a question about how to incorporate more compliant protein into your early day meals.  Thepaleomom has a blog post about getting her daughter to eat more paleo protein.

Iamandy:  I don't have a recipe per se, but here's how I made some delicious chicken soup. First, I bought a Italian-seasoned rotisserie chicken. And I ate some of it for a couple of meals.  Then I stripped the carcass & chopped up all the bits of chicken meat that I stripped. Then I threw the entire carcass into my slow cooker, splashed the bones with a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, added coarsely chopped onion, carrot, & celery, then covered everything with water & put it on "Low" for about 20 hours. I added a little bit more water a couple of times.  When this broth was done cooking, I strained all the vegetables & carcass out & only kept the broth.  That became the base of my soup.

For the soup, I sauteed up some onions & garlic in olive oil. I diced up a potato, a couple of parsnips, a rutabaga, some carrots, some celery, & threw them in a big soup pot. I added the chicken that I had stripped off the rotisserie chicken. I poured in the chicken stock & let everything simmer until the vegetables were soft. At the very end, I added some sliced zucchini & shredded chard. I finished it with some salt, pepper, Tabasco sauce, & chopped fresh parsley.

If I make it again, I might added diced tomatoes at the same time as the zucchini & chard.

Hey November Whole30ers! I have SO MUCH to say today!!!!!!!!! 

First, I've been following this thread since the 1st. You guys are SO INSPIRING! You are all motivating, inspiring, encouraging while also sharing all our weak and hardest moments. Just amazing!

Second, I want to share a HUGE (although it may not seem huge) victory for me. I'm on day 4 - which I've never reached before. I'm feeling pretty proud even though I have a long 26 days ahead. Last night, it was my nephews 1st birthday party and the whole family was there. My family is exactly understanding of our "lifestyle" or way of eating. Of course, there was a huge dinner (NOT a Whole30 compliant one, to say the least), cake, ice cream, cupcakes, the works!!!! I knew there would be and also knew that last night was one of my "tests" to plan for within this 30 days. Well, let me just say, I ROCKED IT! I ate my planned meal before we left. I stashed a banana and cashews in my purse to take with me. I didn't eat anything while I was there except for my cashews and banana! Of course, I had to hold and pass around the cupcakes and ice cream, I was questioned multiple times about why I wasn't eating, but I felt so strong and empowered by just saying NO and no even feeling bad about it. That was a powerful evening for me!!

Third, I need the expertise of you fellow Whole30ers! Is the "So Delicious" brand of unsweetened coconut milk Whole30 compliant? This is the brand we've always bought and it's currently in my refrigerator. My husband uses it daily. But I haven't touched it since I started my Whole30 though. After looking at the ingredients list, I feel that it is not compliant. However, I see people on Instagram using this for their coffee and other things. I know there is so much false Whole30 information on Instagram coming from people who carelessly use the #whole30 for EVERYTHING so I'm always very hesitant and careful. So, what do you guys think? Any advice on compliant liquid coconut milk?

Last but not least, thanks to each and every one of you for being inspiring, engaged, and dedicated to your health. Reading and being involved in this forum has helped me breeze through the first 4 days. I know I have rougher days ahead but now I have ZERO doubt that I'll make it to day 30! Thanks to you all!

Is the "So Delicious" brand of unsweetened coconut milk Whole30 compliant? 

You are correct. Coconut milk in a carton is very unlikely to be compliant. Compliant coconut milk is most often found in a can (sometimes in a tetra-pack) but the stuff in the refrigerated section has carrageenan, which is not permitted on the whole30.

Hi everyone! Day 4 is wrapping up for me but I almost gave in today. I started a new job and this afternoon I was feeling a little stressed. I made myself a cup of coffee and was so so close to adding milk and sugar to it. I usually drink tea or coffee with milk and raw sugar. I tell myself raw sugar is better but its still just sugar really. Anyways I use sugar to comfort myself when stressed but I did not do it and the feeling passed...it sounds small but I was proud. Instead I came home and had a quick run. Yay for small victories!!!!

Guest Jense58

Greets! A newbie here from New England ... age 58 ... mostly veg or vegan diet for years with a period in between of re-introducing some meat.  I will eat some eggs (duck) while on Whole30 ... and perhaps some fish (not so sure on this one, but we'll see).  I got into this program with a bunch of gals from the office.  I know how to detox and how to juice feast ... what I cannot land on over past 5-7 years is a style of eating that feels comfortable and natural ... and is sustainable. Other tidbits: I do need to drop weight ... I can be an emotional eater among the best of them! ... I do not eat 'junk' food (never really have) ... a diet with high fat and/or high carbs doesn't work for me ... I only eat organic -- even better if I can find local & organic ...  I am not willing to 'go paleo' --- it's just not in my heart, though I do not judge others.  I have had difficulty landing on a sustainable eating style ever since giving up soy, gluten and dairy (since 2007).  If I could live on green juice I would! --- well, except for cacao/dark chocolate.  Looking forward to soaking in every one else's experiences ... and especially those of my work colleagues.  Should be a fun ride ... warm cheer!  B)

Today started out a good day. My headache had gone, I feel slimmer, I was in a good mood and had slept well. The children cooperated and got to school on time, my husband had a day off work and we decided to go look for a puppy, something we have been talking about for a whole. I still had the jaw pain but it was bearable, however as the day went on the pain got worse and I ended up sobbing in the kitchen. I am so fed up of being in constant pain and I really don't want to go back on amytriptiline with all it's horrible side effects. I have taken co codamol which hasn't worked and have not worked out again. I hope this works because it's really wearing me down.

Food today,

Breakfast scrambled egg with salmon banana

Lunch ginger courgette soup and salad with mackerel

Dinner roast pork, sweet potatoes and veggies.

I am struggling to eat with the pain in my jaw so the pork was a mistake.

Hope everyone is having a better day.

Good news we have a german shepherd puppy reserved he will come home on Christmas Eve. He will be named Bob and is 1 week old today. He is so cute. I hope he will be my running partner when he is older so excited. I have only seen a photo with his brothers and sisters so far but I can't wait to see him in the flesh.

Joybedford - hang on in there! You are doing great, it will get better according to the experience of those who tried this before, this is what I keep telling myself when even bones I didn't know I had start to ache. The headache is gone, mine too, let's rejoice for small achievements.

I can't even think of working out at the moment, but it's early days and I completed another day, hurray!

SWF: I've never been to that farmers market but after your rec, I need to go. Thanks for that heads-up.

Feeling as if I've been set-straight for wanting to include some beans and lentils. Thanks... I guess.

Roasting a compliant version of Ina Garten's herbed pork tenderloin tonight for the six of us.

Is tomorrow really Day 7?

Second, I want to share a HUGE (although it may not seem huge) victory for me. I'm on day 4 - which I've never reached before. I'm feeling pretty proud even though I have a long 26 days ahead. Last night, it was my nephews 1st birthday party and the whole family was there. My family is exactly understanding of our "lifestyle" or way of eating. Of course, there was a huge dinner (NOT a Whole30 compliant one, to say the least), cake, ice cream, cupcakes, the works!!!! I knew there would be and also knew that last night was one of my "tests" to plan for within this 30 days. Well, let me just say, I ROCKED IT! I ate my planned meal before we left. I stashed a banana and cashews in my purse to take with me. I didn't eat anything while I was there except for my cashews and banana! Of course, I had to hold and pass around the cupcakes and ice cream, I was questioned multiple times about why I wasn't eating, but I felt so strong and empowered by just saying NO and no even feeling bad about it. That was a powerful evening for me!!

What an amazing victory! Good for you! Remember that strength and carry it with you till day 30. You've got this!

end of day 4, and i actually feel pretty good. surprising since I didnt sleep last night at all. 

I had no breakfast, just wasnt hungry, then lunch was a salmon patty and small salad, with liver and pistachios ( i know, weird combo) for snack. Dinner was small potatoe and quarter chicken.

Not hungry today, First time I haven't felt hungry ( ravenous) in months and months. This is so awesome! 

Even more awesome, my business partner who I havent seen about 2 weeks came by,and said i looked like I lost weight!!! Its the wheat. EVERY TIME i go off wheat for 5 or 7 days theres a huge difference in my face and waist. Im lucky to respond so quickly. 

Archived