Crockpot meals

marnaeb

http://comfortbites.blogspot.co.nz/2013/10/slow-cooker-beef-cheek-port-and-bacon.html?m=1

I have been making something loosely based on this at least once a week for the last month or so. Swap wine/port for bone broth for whole30, omit onions and garlic for low fodmap, don't chop up the cheek if you can't be bothered etc... It's a very forgiving recipe

Pot roast. Layer baby carrots and quartered onion on the bottom (and whole baby red potatoes if you want). Place the hunk o meat on top of veggies. Dump a can of compliant diced tomatoes on top. Cook on low for 8 hours.

This is so decadent I've made it twice in the past two weeks :)

Spaghetti meat sauce. Place 2lbs of raw ground meat at bottom of crock. Be generous with your herbs and spices, and dump your choice of canned tomatoes, black olives, mushroom, diced bell peppers, onions, etc on top. Pour two jars of compliant marinara spaghetti sauce on top (in CA we have a grocery store called Fresh & Easy. Their house brand tomato basil marinara in the jar is compliant.). Cook on low for 8 hrs. Mix well (you'll have to break up the ground meat into smaller bits as you stir).

That spaghetti meat sauce is similar to what I usually do on a stovetop.  For veggies I usually add a bag of frozen broccoli or one of the mixed types (w asparagus, mushrooms, etc).  Started doing it back when I head about paleo and was backing off of noodles.

re: the crock pot, do you wait 'til the end of the cook time to stir, or if you're around do you give it a stir at some intervals?  I'm thinking all the flavor might not be able to mix with the ground so much.

One of my staples that I've altered and love is:

Half a head of cabbage diced, 1 bag frozen carrots, 3 cans compliant petite diced canned tomatoes, fresh diced mushrooms, 2 to 2 1/2lb browned ground beef, washed but not peeled diced russet potatoes (as many as you can fit).  Paprika, Cumin, Italian seasoning, Sage, Onion powder, Garlic powder, Black Pepper (season to taste, I never measure I just put in ^,^)

re: the crock pot, do you wait 'til the end of the cook time to stir, or if you're around do you give it a stir at some intervals?  I'm thinking all the flavor might not be able to mix with the ground so much.

You can stir it but keep in mind it adds about 20 minutes each time you lift the lid for it to get back up to temperature (on low). One good stir midway through should be enough. Just add on a little extra time at the end if you're cutting the total cooking time close.

I can't find the original recipe I used, but pulled pork with no liquid!

It was just like this, without the spices (I'll try the spiced version next time, but I throw Loisiana hot sauce on mine)

http://everydaypaleo.com/beyond-easy-pulled-pork/

Awesome with spaghetti squash and Louisiana hot sauce (check yours is compliant).

irish stew. made with lamb pieces (not mince or beef)

loads and loads of potatoes and root veg (you can never have enough spuds in an irish stew,. if your spoon doesnt stand upright its not thick enough)

stock

slow cooker 10-15 hours, skim the crud off the top for the first hour and then make sure before you servce you dump it in a bowl and stir it so the spuds sttart to break up and thicken it. yumyumyum

now if only i could find a whole 30 compliant recipe for HP brown sauce to add

thank you everyone! i had no idea i had so may comments. how do i get notified when someone comments on one of my posts?

Up at the top on the right (above the black box that says "reply to this topic") there is a spot that says "follow this topic" with a little person icon. Click there and you shall receive notifications when someone replies to your post.

• 2 weeks later...

Pork and Winter Squash Stew

Can be made on stove too.

Pork stew meat, cut into bite sized pieces

Onions

Winter squash, cubed

Cubed white potatoes (optional)

1 can diced tomatoes

Sliced mushrooms

Italian seasonings

Other add ins that would be good: carrots, spinach, green beans

Brown pork on stove, then dump everything into crockpot. Or you can skip the browning. Cook on low all day.

A tip I learned from Cook's Country magazine: wrap your veggies in foil and place on top of meat in slow cooker. That way they won't get all mushy. The tomatoes wouldn't need to be wrapped up though for this recipe.

I wonder if anyone has found a good paleo slow cooker cookbook? I know there are several on the market...

Archived