Sugar Cravings & Dense Carb Sources

On Day 12 and just now starting to struggle. Prior to starting the Whole30 I was eating 80/20 Paleo, so my initial transition wasn't that difficult. I find that I'm still craving sugar after large meals and I've definitely overindulged in fruit --- at one point eating 2 dates dipped in Sunbutter --- which may be grounds for starting over? Other than fruit, my food choices seem to end up being extremely (but not purposely) low-carb. If I included more dense carb sources, could that mitigate my sugar cravings to some extent? Also, what are good compliant carbohydrate sources other than sweet potatoes and fruit?

• Moderators

If I included more dense carb sources, could that mitigate my sugar cravings to some extent? Also, what are good compliant carbohydrate sources other than sweet potatoes and fruit?

More than likely yes. Any winter squash, rutabaga, beets, plantains, carrots, celeriac, potatoes are all good sources. 

The dates dipped in sun butter doesn't call for a restart, but keep in mind that the only way to kill the sugar dragon is to starve it. Cutting way back on fruit and nut butters, especially eaten at the end of a meal, is the best course of action.

Good luck!

Archived