Mayo issues

salmy

I'm very sad... For the longest time I was making some kick butt mayo using the everyday paleo recipe and my immersion blender. It was amazing, fluffy delicious stuff!! And then my mayo started turning out gross. When refridgerated it would solidify and you could see the oil seperate, and it would have a metallic after taste. I've gone through a whole lot of lite tasting evoo these past few months and have had basically no yummy mayo:-/ all ingredients, measurements, etc have been the same. So I went on a mayo making binge trying several different recipes, I tried the blender and even sacrificing my forearm and hand whipping it!! I've used nomnom paleo and Mel's recipes too... Same weird, not yummy results. Can you help a girl out? I <3 mayo. No joke. Mayo makes everything better!!

I like mine better when I use apple cider vinegar vs lemon juice. Don't know why, but with the lemon juice it comes out very 'stiff' and not 'fluffy'. Hope this helps. Could be that the ACV is room temp and the lemon juice is refrigerated....maybe??? I've heard the argument for having everything at room temp before blending.

• Moderators

I recently had mayo not set up right, but I realized the eggs I'd bought were smaller than normal, so I added an egg and reblended and it seemed better. Also, you can half that recipe you linked to -- the one I usually use is one egg and about a cup of oil, plus seasonings. At least that way, if one fails, you won't have lost two eggs and two cups of oil all at once.

I know there are old threads around about fixing mayo fails -- I'm not sure any ever addressed the metallic taste, I'm not sure what that would be about. You can google Whole30 mayo fail and find some more discussions, maybe you'll find something to help.

Archived