Had a craving - what is my body telling me?

TinaH

I'm 18 days post whole 30 with very little off-roading. Since starting my whole 30 I haven't had a single craving for non compliant items. (Big sigh of relief since binge eating is a big issue for me). Yesterday, I had my first craving, and I don't know what it means. I craved a sweet (candy or a cookie) and tortilla chips. Chips were triggered by a commercial(thanks Tostitos) which is new for me - commercials never make me want what they're marketing. Candy was probably triggered by Halloween?

I told myself I would indulge tomorrow, (had to go shop for the good stuff if I was going to indulge!) Today, all cravings are gone though. It's almost unbelievable to me that I had those cravings just yesterday. Today I didn't think twice about to sticking to compliant eating.

What do you think? Is my body trying to tell me something? Listening and trying to understand "what my body is telling me" is new for me. Or - is it that my unhealthy life-long psychological relationship with food is still healing, and yesterday I was challenged for some reason?

I appreciate your insights.

• Moderators

If you're asking is there some correlation like the "if you're craving chocolate, you need magnesium" thing I've heard before, my immediate thought is, one craving on one day probably doesn't mean you're short on a particular nutrient.

Things it might mean:  That you didn't eat enough that day and were hungry. That you were bored. That you saw commercials for chips and candy, designed to make you want chips and candy -- and they worked. That you were stressed or angry or sad or worried, and you might in the past have eaten chips, cookies and candy in that situation, so now when you feel that way, you crave those things. Or it might be your body trying to convince you to go back to your old ways, the way the timeline describes on days 12-15 (I know the days don't correlate with where you are, but it is just a general guideline, so it's still a possibility):

This is the part of the program where our minds try to drive us back to the comfort of the foods we used to know. Our food relationships are deeply rooted and strongly reinforced throughout the course of our lives and breaking through them is really big deal. Journaling can be especially enlightening and helpful during this phase, and helpful for reflection later. Take some time to jot down what you’re craving, how you’re feeling and what tools you’re using to work through the cravings. 

Thanks Shannon - Your response is right on with what I needed. I was curious if the cravings meant I was missing something my body needed (like your magnesium example) vs my mind being the culprit. The only thing that makes sense for what I experienced is your last comment...my mind was trying to convince me to go back to my old ways. I'm not sure why...it was a good day and the cravings really surprised me. So I'm going to continue to pay attention to (and accept that) I do have some deeply rooted food issues that haven't magically gone away because of my 48 days of awesomeness :)

Archived