PWO Newbie - help :(

AprilLynne

I am having a hard time figuring this out. Here is a typical workout week. 2-3 days running (2-4 miles) and 2-3 days gym, cardio and lifting. I usually am exercising about an hour. When I run, I am back home right as I finish. When I go to the gym, I like a massage after, so I'm not home til about an hour after the strenuous activity ends. I have always excercised on an empty stomach, just hydrated. I run my 5K's that way too. PWO has always been eggs of some kind within an hour.

My questions:
1. Can I continue working out before eating? If not, what are the best options to try?

2. Can I still do my massage after my gym workout, and eat PWO when I get home 45-60 minutes later? If not, what are some options?

3. Finally, I need some good Post-WO meal combos to try, what are your favorites? (No tuna. Please)

Thanks!!!!!

• Moderators

You can do anything you like, but you will need to make some changes if you want to maximize your performance and recovery. 

1. We encourage you to try eating a few bites before working out if your stomach will tolerate it. If you can tolerate it, you may find yourself having a bit more energy as you exercise. Not energy from the food, but from your body getting a signal from the food that leads to more energy during your workout. Pre-workout meals should be protein and fat. A boiled egg is an ideal pre-workout meal.

2. Your muscles are especially open to protein for about 30 minutes after a workout. Eating after that window has closed means your muscle recovery will be slower. I thought this was nonsense until I tried it for a while. I found that I suffered less soreness and quicker recovery when I ate at the gym immediately after working out. I take food to the gym with me. The ideal post-workout protein is chicken breast without any fat added. Eating a starchy veggie can be useful to increase energy stores, but I don't bother. I eat my starchy veggies with regular meals. 

3. The forum already has lots of answers to what to eat. Search and you will find. 

Archived