vegetable/seed oils

heather av

I just finished reading the book for the second time - and I don't know how I missed it the first time but it says nothing about vegetable/seed oils in the yes/no list. I'm on day 28 and just assumed they were a big fat no because they are so bad for you, just surprised that they weren't listed in the book or on the website. Was this accidentally overlooked or were they left off the list purposely?

Heather -

The non-mention was no accident. Vegetable and seed oils are not good choices, by any means. And, their absence from the no-list doesn't give you an excuse to eat them knowingly. But, completely removing them makes it almost impossible to function in the restaurant-going professional world, in the well-meaning friend world, or in the I-accidentally-ate-a raisin-with-sunflower-oil world. These oils have made their way into so much of our food that it would put a very serious burden on folks (and almost create a food paranoia) who would otherwise do really well with the program. Also, while they are pro-inflammatory, they don't act like gluten, dairy or soy in your body and won't upset the healing process too much.

Whenever you can possibly control it, avoid vegetable and seed oils. But, if you're good friend cooks you an otherwise compliant meal and uses canola oil.... you get what I'm saying ;0)

Hope that helps!

Archived