Whole30 and Ulcerative Colitis, anyone else?

I'm on day 15 of my first Whole30 and I have ulcerative colitis. I'm curious if anyone else out there has the same condition. I am on maintenance meds which I have no plans to go off of, but I am hoping that clean eating will remove the occasional flare-up that happens despite the medication. I'd love to hear from anyone who has been through the process and tried to manage UC with diet. 

Yes, I am a fellow UC sufferer! I did my first W30 in July-13 and haven't had a flare since. This diet works wonders for me. I am also on maintenance meds (Lialda and chemo) but I have reduced the chemo by 25% (supported by my gastro-entherologist).

How are you feeling so far?

So nice to hear from someone! 

That's amazing that you've avoided a flare, and I'm really happy to know that this diet helps you. My gastro doesn't think my particular case can be controlled by diet, but I find that so hard to believe. How did you eat after your W30 ended in July? I am wondering what, if anything, I might add back in. Do you eat eggs?

I'm feeling great! I don't think I'm losing weight :( But I'm trying to put it in perspective. 

• 8 months later...

Hi!

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Proctitis/Colitis around 2 years ago and my symptoms have not reduced since. I am very reluctant to take pharamaceutical drugs- I have it in my head that they're going to create some horrible side effects to then be stuck in a vicious cycle of forever relying on medication etc. I know it's a pretty irresponsible choice, but I am now considering taking my medication (Pentasa Oral and suppositories) to see if it will final calm the symptoms down as it is starting to worrying me as each day goes. While I have taken the time to make better food decisions, I would still indulge in "cheat" treats intermittently. I have not yet been able to experience a week that is free of stomach cramping, bleeding, and sudden urges to visit the bathroom. 

I started the Whole30 on Monday this week with the hope of healing/strengthening my gut, but I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the info I am reading on here, so I am hoping some of you lovely people can help to simplify the 30 days for me given my cirumstances. I am confused about what "special diet" within the Whole30 I should follow, I am so far following the Whole30 FODMAP diet.

I am already trying to make my food as fun to eat with the Whole30 restrictions, but I have read in some posts to avoid eggs and nuts/nut butters? I generally do eat a lot of eggs and nuts/nut butters... :( I visit the gym 6x a week and am involved in high intensity heavy weight lifting so my protein and fat intake needs to stay high so that i am able to continue recovering in time for the next session.

I eat halal meat only, and have so far had not much luck in sourcing deli meats in the UK that are gluten free and free from all the nasty stuff. So my diet at the moment is mainly fish, chicken, lamb, and beef. I am going to attempt making home made sausages over the weekend and see how they turn out :) My fats come from olives, avocado, coconut, ghee, and nuts/nut butters. 

I would also like to add, I feel as though I wont be able to tell what intolerances I may have because my gut has been inflamed pretty much since I was diagnosed, so cramping and pain generally occurs every time before I visit the bathroom.

I would be grateful if someone could shed some light on how I should continue the next 28 days. Thank you in advance for taking the time reply.

Thank you,

• Administrators

I started the Whole30 on Monday this week with the hope of healing/strengthening my gut, but I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the info I am reading on here, so I am hoping some of you lovely people can help to simplify the 30 days for me given my cirumstances. I am confused about what "special diet" within the Whole30 I should follow, I am so far following the Whole30 FODMAP diet.

I am already trying to make my food as fun to eat with the Whole30 restrictions, but I have read in some posts to avoid eggs and nuts/nut butters? I generally do eat a lot of eggs and nuts/nut butters... :( I visit the gym 6x a week and am involved in high intensity heavy weight lifting so my protein and fat intake needs to stay high so that i am able to continue recovering in time for the next session.

Hi fbhana, 

If this is your first Whole30, we strongly recommend that you complete a standard Whole30 first before trying an adapted version such as FODMAP or AIP.  The Whole30 as written is naturally an anti-inflammatory program and can bring most people all the healing they need without the further restrictions.

That said, if at the end of your 30 days (or more if you extend due to existing health issues), you feel that you need further healing, you would then investigate the alternate protocols.  Note that the Whole30 is already very restrictive and difficult to do, the AIP is extraordinarily restrictive for the average person and in many cases, not necessary.  See this post from one of our other moderators: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/29590-autoimmune-food-considerations/

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Excellent, I will stick to the standard plan and see how it goes.

Is there a thread anywhere that discusses taking your maintenance drugs for Colitis while on the Whole30 program? Is it preferred if we tried it without the drugs? Or is this a decision that can only be made by my doctor? 

Fatima

Hi fbhana, 

If this is your first Whole30, we strongly recommend that you complete a standard Whole30 first before trying an adapted version such as FODMAP or AIP.  The Whole30 as written is naturally an anti-inflammatory program and can bring most people all the healing they need without the further restrictions.

That said, if at the end of your 30 days (or more if you extend due to existing health issues), you feel that you need further healing, you would then investigate the alternate protocols.  Note that the Whole30 is already very restrictive and difficult to do, the AIP is extraordinarily restrictive for the average person and in many cases, not necessary.  See this post from one of our other moderators: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/29590-autoimmune-food-considerations/

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Excellent, I will stick to the standard plan and see how it goes.

Is there a thread anywhere that discusses taking your maintenance drugs for Colitis while on the Whole30 program? Is it preferred if we tried it without the drugs? Or is this a decision that can only be made by my doctor? 

Fatima

• Administrators

Hi Fatima, absolutely no medical advice is dispensed on this forum, no one here is qualified.  You would want to make these sorts of decisions in consultation with your doctor.

Hi Fatima, absolutely no medical advice is dispensed on this forum, no one here is qualified.  You would want to make these sorts of decisions in consultation with your doctor.

Of course, I understand. 

Thanks again,

Fatima

Whenever you take a medication that can be impacted by diet, you really want to discuss with your doctor, you may need special monitoring, tapering doses, many many variables :)

I also recommend keeping a lot of how you feel, so you can track how different meal plans/days/doses feel, and adjust and tweak accordingly with your doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just started my first Whole30 six days ago. I've had UC for 10 years. I take Apriso daily. I decided to try this as my CRP has been elevated even though I didn't have any flare symptoms. I had some stomach discomfort on day 2 but then felt great until last night (day 5) and today. I've been having a lot of cramping, spasming, diarrahea etc.. I was wondering if this is a "normal" part of the clean out/ adaptation process for people with UC or if something else was going on, i.e. I might be going into a flare. I haven't had a flare for about 4 months and was feeling good when I started last Saturday.

Hi, I just started my first Whole30 six days ago. I've had UC for 10 years. I take Apriso daily. I decided to try this as my CRP has been elevated even though I didn't have any flare symptoms. I had some stomach discomfort on day 2 but then felt great until last night (day 5) and today. I've been having a lot of cramping, spasming, diarrahea etc.. I was wondering if this is a "normal" part of the clean out/ adaptation process for people with UC or if something else was going on, i.e. I might be going into a flare. I haven't had a flare for about 4 months and was feeling good when I started last Saturday.

Hi, I was just wondering how you are getting on? I too have colitis and am coming out of a flare up. I am thinking off starting on Whole30 but totally unsure whether it is the right way to go. I have always thought to avoid seeds and lots of the other items listed and normally deal with a flare up with chicken broth, small amounts of fish/potato etc. Just wondering if your flare up has calmed down, hope so :)

Hey,

I am coming towards the final week of my Whole30 programme, and I can say with great confidence that my gut feels much calmer prior to starting this program. I suffered from persistent cramping and pain after eating, as well as urges to visit the bathroom, and this is one of the major symptoms I've felt improve. I would definitely suggest that you give this a try. I'm planning on doing another one in October once my events are over, where I hope to follow the 30 days to the T then. I have been snacking here and there and have been eating on average around 3 peices of fruit a day so I want to try and reduce that in the next one. The only thing I have not seen an improvement with is my bloating. I feel great in the morning but I feel my belly inflate during the day. I have read on the forums that eggs and nuts are common causes of this, and i have been eating a lot of eggs and nut butters, especially nut butters!!!!!! So I have decided to eliminate these in my final course of the program and see if this helps :)

Hi, I was just wondering how you are getting on? I too have colitis and am coming out of a flare up. I am thinking off starting on Whole30 but totally unsure whether it is the right way to go. I have always thought to avoid seeds and lots of the other items listed and normally deal with a flare up with chicken broth, small amounts of fish/potato etc. Just wondering if your flare up has calmed down, hope so :)

Hey,

I am coming towards the final week of my Whole30 programme, and I can say with great confidence that my gut feels much calmer prior to starting this program. I suffered from persistent cramping and pain after eating, as well as urges to visit the bathroom, and this is one of the major symptoms I've felt improve. I would definitely suggest that you give this a try. I'm planning on doing another one in October once my events are over, where I hope to follow the 30 days to the T then. I have been snacking here and there and have been eating on average around 3 peices of fruit a day so I want to try and reduce that in the next one. The only thing I have not seen an improvement with is my bloating. I feel great in the morning but I feel my belly inflate during the day. I have read on the forums that eggs and nuts are common causes of this, and i have been eating a lot of eggs and nut butters, especially nut butters!!!!!! So I have decided to eliminate these in my final course of the program and see if this helps  :)

• 2 months later...

Hey! I also have UC and I am starting my 3rd round today. The first time I did it I was in the beginning of a bad flare so I ended up feeling horrible the whole 30 days but I didnt give up. The second time was a lot easier but now on my 3rd I am having trouble again. Most people say that I dont follow it completely becasue I cant eat as much food as the normal person would. I am also on medication(Asacol, prednisone, humira, and now hydroxychloroquine) and dont plan to come off of them but I do wish to control the flares in between. I hope it went well for you!

• 2 months later...

Archived