Snacking - Is it important not to?

nounou

Carly - Yes, I quit MFP too :) It really wasn't helpful.

I have a feeling you'll also like this recipe: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/

She has two fabulous cookbooks and a great blog. Almost all her recipes are W30 compliant.

OMG that sounds amazing!!! I'm going to make that tomorrow and the mayo! And I'm going to spend some time on her website, I think I have one of her cookbooks, I'll have to check.  :P  Thank you so much.  

• 4 weeks later...

I am on day 3 and have been hanging in there.. Breakfast and lunch go fine (lunch before clinic at 1pm) but I often don't get home to eat dinner until after 8! Needless to say in hungry around 5-6 while still at work. Should I be adding another small meal at that time?

• Administrators

I am on day 3 and have been hanging in there.. Breakfast and lunch go fine (lunch before clinic at 1pm) but I often don't get home to eat dinner until after 8! Needless to say in hungry around 5-6 while still at work. Should I be adding another small meal at that time?

Absolutely you should! We would never expect (or want) you to go over 7 hours between meals. I would even venture to say that you bring a "dinner" sized meal to eat between 5 & 6 and then if you need something at 8pm when you get home, make it a mini meal of at least protein and fat, ideally also veggies. If that doesn't work for your schedule, reverse the two; mini at 5 and meal at 8.

I totally understand the points made above, and perhaps as we get further into the program (I'm on day 4 too) and our hormones get into line we won't feel the need for a "snack" but I do think it also depends a bit on when you eat your meals.  For me, I can get from breakfast to lunch no problem, but that's maybe 4-5 hours.  And typically don't have too much problem with hunger (now cravings can be a different story) post-dinner.  But from lunch to dinner is more like 7 hours so when I hit that 4-5 hour mark I start to feel hungry.  When I can I'm avoiding it, but I also don't want to become so hungry by the time I have dinner that I make bad choices at home.  Guess it's a balancing act - right now I'm having a snack of celery, guacamole and a small closed handful of cashews.  Probably not enough protein but out of hardboiled eggs this afternoon.  Thanks for the posts - helpful!

• Administrators

I totally understand the points made above, and perhaps as we get further into the program (I'm on day 4 too) and our hormones get into line we won't feel the need for a "snack" but I do think it also depends a bit on when you eat your meals.  For me, I can get from breakfast to lunch no problem, but that's maybe 4-5 hours.  And typically don't have too much problem with hunger (now cravings can be a different story) post-dinner.  But from lunch to dinner is more like 7 hours so when I hit that 4-5 hour mark I start to feel hungry.  When I can I'm avoiding it, but I also don't want to become so hungry by the time I have dinner that I make bad choices at home.  Guess it's a balancing act - right now I'm having a snack of celery, guacamole and a small closed handful of cashews.  Probably not enough protein but out of hardboiled eggs this afternoon.  Thanks for the posts - helpful!

You're right on!  We do not expect you to go upwards of 7 hours between meals.  The "snacking" we refer to not doing is the mindless hand-to-mouth munching that many people do all day long. What you're referring to I like to call "eating".  ;)  It sounds like you're aware of your body and reactions and making decent choices.  Just get those eggs boiled and you're all set!  :)

Archived