Feldmama's Whole30 Log

bisfeldmann

I did it! I made it through Day 1!!! I will list my meals below, but am hoping first and foremost to find some buddies for support and encouragement. I'm doing this by myself, so I'll take all I can get!

My reasons for doing the Whole30 are many, but here are a few:

1) the past 15 months have been very emotionally taxing. I thought I was coping with several losses, only to realize one day that I had lost myself. I had entered a dark spiral of drinking WAY too much on a daily basis, not sleeping, making unhealthy food choices, letting my exercise lag...you get the idea. I'm doing this to reset myself physically, and as a result emotionally. I could go on about this point forever...

2) I have always have an unhealthy relationship with food. My mother is extremely unhealthy, and from a young age unintentionally taught me that one can never be too skinny. I have two young girls, and I realized they now hear me self-hate. It's my job to teach them how to be healthy, see exercise as fun, see food as fuel and love the,selves! This journey is as much for them as it is for me!

3) I have had severe urticaria since the birth of my first daughter, and the only cause seems to be hormonal shifts. Two allergists, a dermatologist and multiple doctors have thrown up their hands at trying to figure out what I'm "allergic" to. I've done food elimination before, but the only conclusion was "just take Benadryl." Yeah....no thanks.

4) A big part of me wants to prove I can do this! I LOVE you cooking, and outside of the past few months I typically am pretty healthy. I want to feel proud of myself, I want to feel comfortable in my own skin again, and I want to feel happy when I look in he mirror.

So, that's it in a nutshell! I look forward to the support system!

Day 1:

Bfast: egg frittata with onion and spinach (sautéed in coconut oil), diced chicken, smoked paprika, salt and pepper; topped with avocado. 2 cups black coffee.

Lunch: Green Goddess salad, no cheese, no dressing, add carrots. Olive oil and red wine vinegar for dressing.

Dinner: roasted a whole chicken with carrots, celery and onions; spaghetti squash roasted hen sautéed with coconut oil, cumin, cinnamon and salt (it was kind of gross, but I was in a hurry because the girls were "starving"), mocktail (lacroix with lemons and limes)

Also: lots of water; 30 min Physique 57 workout

Overall felt pretty good! Was a little hungry at bedtime and had a headache off and on, but was proud of myself! Didn't sleep great-kept waking no up really sweaty???? But, onto day 2!!!

Day 2 - Another one down! 

I spent the day grocery shopping and meal prepping - reminding me how much I love cooking and spending time in my kitchen. It's a lot of work up front planning, shopping, chopping, etc. But, then I got ready to actually cook dinner, and since I'm only using a few ingredients It was quick! I also am using things I've never used, which is fun.

I also felt pretty good - just a touch of a headache around 2:00-ish. Although, it's now only 8:15pm, and I'm headed to bed! I'm exhausted and I didn't even work out today!

Bfast: Egg frittata (again) with avocado and salsa; black coffee

Lunch: Leftovers from dinner (chicken, roasted veggies, spaghetti squash). I added hot sauce this time, so it was a little better!

Dinner: Pecan-crusted salmon (crust: pecans, avocado oil, basil, salt); roasted potatoes w/olive oil, pepper and pink Himilayan sea salt; steamed green beans

Lots of water; a few sips of a "mock"tail with sparkling water, limes and watermelon (got too busy finish it, then was over it)

Hi! I love Physique 57. I save it for my winter workout and will be taking it out soon.

Your meals look really tastey. I'm assuming you had protein with meal 2 yesterday?

I'm doing this alone also. This is my 4th but I've only finished 2. I started with a friend this time and she bailed on me by 4 pm on the first day.

You can do this and it really is worth it. On to day 3!

Two solid days under you - way to go!  You do have some great looking meals.  We have salmon all the time and have never done a pecan crust.  Why!  Perhaps it's time to learn! :)

I was undressing in front of my kids this morning to take a shower and thinking about the messages I give them.  It's so easy for the damaging messages to come out.  Did you see the video that is out (I haven't, but I heard about it) where kids and adults were asked what they would change about their body.  Kids all added a new component like a super skill, but adults focused on eliminating perceived flaws.  I'd fall right in the adult category, but I'd sure rather be in the kid one!!

Congratulations on your start.  You look good.  Make sure to check out the Whole30 timeline if you want to know how the ups and downs of the first weeks can go - I know the timeline helped me.

I can really identify with your reasons for doing this, especially your #1 but also #3 and #4. I'm the mom of two young girls as well. Your meals look delcious! I love cooking too and trying new things. This program really got me out of a rut and cooking so many new and delicious recipes (I highly recommend Well Fed 1 & 2 if you don't have them). La Croix was my favorite treat in the evening. Felt like a drink without being a drink. You're doing great! You got this!

Thanks @birder, @emma and @snoodness for the support!!! I needed it, as yesterday was a bit tough! Started out good, but the afternoon left me feeling tired and hungry, but WAY short on time for dinner. I also had a late meeting where everyone was having yummy cheeses, cookies and wine...and I was having raw veggies. BUT, I made it through and felt great about myself!

ONWARD!

Blast: roasted chicken and potatoes, steamed green beans (SO far out of my comfort zone to not have "typical" breakfast food!); 2 cups black coffee

Lunch: salad: romaine, kale, red peppers, cucumbers, 2 hard boiled eggs, avocado, tomato, EVOO and red wine vinegar; Synergy Gingertea (kombucha)

Snack: Apple slices and Sunbutter

Dinner: 2 hard boiled eggs; baked sweet potato; dasani sparkling water (ugh...not stellar, and my tummy is NOT happy with 4 eggs in 1 day. But, I was in a HUGE hurry, and could have slipped but didn't! Thank God for being prepared!)

Snack: grapes, broccoli, snap peas, peppers, carrots

Alright - confession time: I cheated this weekend and drank alcohol. The guilt is sort of consuming me, and even after only 5 days I felt like absolute crap!

Lesson learned - hopefully.

I thought about just moving forward, but decided I owe it to myself to reset. I want to feel proud of myself, and I want to do this the right way! 

So, today is Day 1 - and I did it (again). I feel super tired, but I'm sure that's because I didn't sleep well this weekend. I'm also covered in hives - very interesting.

Bfast: egg casserole with chicken sausage, spinach, onion topped with salsa. Black coffee

Snack: pink grapefruit

Lunch: Chicken salad made with celery, grapes, pecans, red onion and olive oil mayo

Dinner: Burrito bowl (meat sauce over sautéed broccoli, onions, pepers and kale); topped with avocado

That guilt is a powerful thing isn't it! :)

Starting over is a drag, but not the worst of things.  It will feel good a week from now and your body is already better off than it was.  I think the powerful addictions of food make the first week particularly challenging, but you can do it - and it's so worth it!

Archived