How do you tell the difference between low blood sugar v. sugar withdraw

I'm on day 3 and while in Costco today I broke out in a sweat and suddenly got shakey and weak.  I was coming up on lunch but had a small mini meal snack 2 hours before.  I was in the back of the store by myself and didn't want to faint or anything so after waiting a few minutes to see if it would pass I grabbed a clementine orange from my cart and ate it.  After 5 minutes or so I started to feel better.

When I've gotten like this in the past I've always interpreted it as low blood sugar and seen it as something I needed to fix.  How do you tell the difference between sugar withdraw pangs that need to just be pushed through and low blood sugar moments that need to be tended to?

Do you have diabetes or some other condition that affects your blood sugar?

Please remember that when you're on Whole30, we are really REALLY big on having you eat.  If you'd like some tips on how you compose your meals, feel welcome to post 2-3 days' worth of meals, water, exercise, sleep, stress levels, and any other relevant information, and maybe folks can offer some ideas.

But in general, eat.

I used to get those really badly, but I don't any more. When I got them on Whole30, I would eat, but not straight sugar.

Carrots, boiled eggs, or nuts would be my go-to snacks for when I felt that dizzy feeling. I do give myself a little more recovery time too.

(Interesting point, I got so bad I collapsed on the side of the road and ended up on hospital once, my doctor gave me a blood sugar monitor and told me to test when I felt dizzy, but it was always within normal ranges)

It does get better, at least it did for me on paleo. The last time I had one was April of last year (4 months after I went paleo)

Archived