If I already eat pretty close to Whole30...

I haven't done a Whole30 (yet)! But I was looking over the rules and I think with the exception of yogurt and cheese and tofu, I pretty much eat only Whole30-compliant foods to begin with, including condiments and the general strictness with not eating foods that have added sugar, etc. Does that mean I won't really feel the same amazing change that everybody talks about? I know it's one thing, going from eating takeout and pizza to eating Whole30... but what about if you already eat pretty healthily? Can anybody speak about their experience on Whole30 if they began at a reasonably healthy place to begin with? Thanks!

I figure, you're certainly not going to feel any *worse*. I've had "decent" results over my 2 W30s -- not bouncing off the walls / Mary Poppins on Red Bull / identifying with my spirit leopard / etc , but decent. I find it to be a useful exercise in discipline and making conscious choices about food, both *what* we eat and *why* we eat.

You've got nothing to lose, and everything to gain; go for it!

kirkor, I want to know the SECOND you identify with your spirit leopard. :lol:

sushimuffin, I came to Whole30 from a really junky diet, so I saw dramatic results. I have to say, based on hanging around the forums here for a while, that folks who come from an already healthy way of eating often report dramatic results as well. I don't think anyone has done a study or anything, but I do read here that often people are surprised at how different the experience of Whole30 is than the experience of how they ate before.

Give it a go!

I came from a place of pretty healthy eating, and it was a great experience for me. Not just the health, but the emotional side of eating as well.

I will say, I was primal for AGES before my first whole30, and if I hadn't eliminated it, I never would have guessed that dairy is a problem for me. I'm getting  better with it as I heal, but it definitely shouldn't be everyday food for me. That sort of knowledge, gained through controlled reintroductions, is absolutely invaluable

with the exception of yogurt and cheese and tofu, I pretty much eat only Whole30-compliant foods to begin with,

Dairy/milk sugars and soy....including soy and whey protein powders.  These items are some of the biggest stumbling blocks to improved health.   SWYPO is a compliant term, so I'm going to say pretty close but no cigar.  :D 

• Administrators

I came from a pretty healthy place also and the biggest thing I noticed was HOW and WHY I eat rather than what I eat. I didn't get "tiger blood" or really any amazing physical improvement...although there was some. My main takeaway was the emotional and mental aspect of how I deal with food.

I think it's important to know why you're doing it and what you're hoping to get out of it before you start, but also to be open to discovering new benefits.  You may not notice huge changes.  They might be subtle.  Like ladyshanny, mine are mostly mental.  I just have a much calmer way of eating now.  I've had a few subtle physical changes - allergies and cold sores seem better, fewer random stomach aches, less irritable (most of the time).  I still have all of the same (minor) issues.  They just seem less and they affect my mood much less.  So, for me, that is worth it.  I hope you decide to try it.  It was a good change for me.

I came to Whole30 from a clean paleo diet in general.  I was already avoiding all forms of soy and corn because I've always been sensitive to it, but I thought that occasional dairy was 'no big deal' to me.  Like leahcarn mentioned, learning about how it really affected me through reintroduction was invaluable!  I also learned a lot about my eating habits (I loved learning how much easier life is when you only have to eat three times a day!), too.

The biggest shocker for me when I did my first Whole30 came about 2.5 weeks in when I all of a sudden started sleeping like the dead.  I've NEVER in my whole life been anything but a super light sleeper (at best) so it completely blew me away.  In fact, it scared the crap out of me the first couple of nights before I realized what was happening!

You really never know what you'll learn on a Whole30. Everyone is different. Everyone comes from a different place (food-wise) when they start.  And everyone takes away different lessons, for sure.

Archived