Need a bit of reassurance!

cinagain

I'm on day 12 of my first Whole30.  This has been a pretty drastic overhaul of the way I eat.  I've fought my weight for years, so will admit to not having the healthiest relationship with food.  Don't like preparing it, planning it, and most of the time, even eating it. 

I decided to try Whole30 because of some other health issues.  I'm going through menopause, horrible sleep patterns, crazy hormones, a messed up hip (lots of inflammation)...and I decided something had to change (other than trying new meds).

On the one hand, I'm very happy so far with what I'm experiencing in health improvements.  Sleeping better, more energetic, hip feeling better.

But I'll be honest...losing weight, for me, is more important than any other improvements I see.  Tried a pair of pants on today and they were just as tight as 2 weeks ago.  Now, I'm NOT giving up...I'll complete the Whole30 and keep hoping for the best.  I do understand that Whole30 isn't a weight loss program...so not quite sure what I'm looking for here.  LOL Encouragement, maybe suggestions for what to do after this Whole30 to continue eating healthier but WITH weight loss?

I'd just appreciate a bit of hand holding I guess...today has been a very disappointing day.

Cindy

• Moderators

During my first Whole30, I was convinced I was gaining weight the whole time, up until the last two or three days. But when I weighed myself on day 31, I had lost. 

It's pretty normal to have a period of bloating at some point during your W30. The Timeline has it as days 8-9, but that's just a general guideline, you might just be a few days behind that -- the actual days vary from person to person. 

If you want to know if there's something in particular that you could change to get better results, post a few day's worth of food, exercise, water intake, and sleep, and people will be happy to offer suggestions. 

You might also find it helpful to read through some of the success stories (like these, or this one), or some of the other threads from people asking about weight loss, like this one or this one or this one. Sometimes it's good to see that other people have been through the same thing, and even better to see people who have lost weight. Google Whole30 losing weight to find more like this.

You may not like hearing this, and the whole30 does contribute a little to this mindset (change your life in 30 days!) BUT, two weeks is really just a blip in terms of your health. Whole30 can help you learn how different foods and ways of eating impact you, but it is how you eat long-term that will really make a difference.

I'm a case-in-point on that lesson: I didn't lose weight during my first whole30 at all (maybe one lb?) but I did start on the path to getting my hormones in a place where I could lose weight and it happened in a very healthy and sustainable way. I would much rather have this scenario than a 20lb loss in 30 days that comes back (with friends!) just as soon as the 30 days is up. 

Shannon, I've read the success stories. :)  I'm not sure they help LOL, because I'd love to be one of the ones who've lost a chunk of weight.  I'm happy to post some daily routines.  Before I do though, I should mention that I have a gastric sleeve (converted from a Lapband).  I lost 85 lbs (reached my goal) with the band, but after 7 yrs, started having some complications and needed it removed.  I've also gained back about 30 lbs.  So I really CAN'T eat the quantities and bulk recommended by Whole30.  But I eat until I'm satisfied, don't usually snack (and if I do, try to make it a mini meal if I can), try to make sure that the meal is protein, vegetables and fat.  I eat very little fruit (too full with the protein and vegetables)...

Everything is as organic, hormone-free, grass fed, etc, as possible.

B: 2 eggs, sausage, sautéed onions

L: beef tenderloin, roasted butternut squash, kale chips, kalamata olives

D: broiled salmon, herb lettuce mix, tomato, balsamic vinegar, 1/2 avocado

B: 2 eggs, homemade mayo, roasted sweet potato

L: salmon, cauliflower, olives

D: roasted chicken, spaghetti squash, ghee, olives (try to use a bit of both to equal the fat serving)

I used to exercise a lot, but in the past 2 yrs, dropped off to pretty much nothing except my horseback riding.  But the last 2 weeks, I've started working with a personal trainer 3x/week again, picked up my karate classes 1-2x/week.  I'm having to be careful and listen to the hip, so none of this is crazy intense, but enough to get me sweating a bit, start moving more again, etc. 

As for water...drinking plenty!  I have a 24 oz water bottle and fill it up at least 4-5x/day...maybe more.  I'm not drinking anything else...one of my vices is sweet tea, so I've completely eliminated caffeine (unsweet tea is more of a SWYPO on thing for me than anything else...but worse.  Can't stand the stuff so far.  LOL)

Sleep patterns have changed a lot, too. I'm normally a night owl.  In bed about 2am, up around 10 or 10:30.  Again, in the last couple of years, that's gotten worse...often not going to bed until around 3 or 4 am, waking up tired and stressed from crazy hormonal dreams.  Lately, I'm in bed around midnight or 1 am, waking up naturally around 9:30 feeling much more rested.

Missmary, I'm not expecting miracles in 2 weeks.  LOL  I think I mentioned...I've struggled with my weight my entire life, so I know how difficult it is for me to lose.  I was truly hoping that the pants would simply button more easily...not looking for them to fall off or be able to adjust a belt by 5 holes. ;)  I no longer weigh.  Scales lie too easily with changes in water retention, exercise levels, etc.  I know by how my clothes fit if I'm gaining or losing and that's enough.  So I'm not obsessive about my weight, as in, oh my gosh, the scales aren't moving!  I'm ok with slower, smaller changes, but after 12 days, some slight change would have been nice.

As I mentioned, I'm not stopping the Whole30.  Will finish it out, see what happens and how I feel.  Will re-introduce foods per Whole30, maybe take a short break through the holidays. That's NOT a big party/eating time for us,  but it is a busier time of year, so it'll be nice to not have to think Whole30 quite so much...and then, at least now, I plan on doing another Whole30 soon after the New Year.  I'm ok if it takes an entire YEAR to lose the 30 lbs...but I made a promise to myself when I lost the weight originally that I would NOT have a closet full of increasing sizes.  I have my goal weight jeans and then these (one size larger as the weight has crept on the last 2 years)...so until I lose enough to comfortably wear them again, I'm pantless. ;)  Well, I'm wearing workout clothes and such, but you get the idea.

Cindy

Hi cinagain!

First of all, good for you for taking on this challenge. I did my first Whole30 two years ago and it was one of the most challenging and rewarding things I've ever done. I didn't lose a ton of weight, but I learned so, so much about my relationship with food and started on a path to changing a lot of bad habits. I've stayed pretty paleo since, returning to W30 when things get a little too far off course (which is why I'm currently on day 10... ) 

This is a huge thing that you are doing. Take a moment and really acknowledge and congratulate yourself on that. I've met many, many people who wouldn't even attempt to do what you're been doing. You are changing your life. It's a big deal and you are a rock star. :-)

M

Have you checked out the timeline? http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ Most people experience bloating and feel like they are gaining during their whole30. Also most people get to this point and second guess the process. Take a breath and keep going. You might want to add digestive enzymes and probiotics daily. Also cut down on fruit and nuts if you think you should. They can keep the weight on. Good Luck!

Hi cinagain - I am not a moderator here and am a newbie myself so take what I say with an enormous grain of Himalayan salt.  While I have been Paleo for very long stretches of time, Whole30 is new for me.  I am on day 11 after a restart (some wine only) or I'd be on day 18. 

That said, when I look at what you are eating what comes to mind is more veggies if your circumstances allow.  I find that if I start with what 2-4 cups of veggies will I eat with this meal and then build from there by adding in my protein and fat, I am sure to keep the ratios in check.  I also find I really enjoy what I make up and feel pretty satisfied.  I try and include at least 3 types of veggies at each meal.

I switched to this model half way in as a way to make sure I was full (I was so hungry the first week) Now I think it is managing the puffiness that I was feeling early on.  I have no idea if I am losing weight but I do feel like the puffiness is no longer here and my pants are every so slightly looser.  Good Luck and congrats for taking this on!!

Thanks for the replies everyone!  I've been dealing with a migraine for the last 36 hrs (NOT Whole30 induced), so even though I haven't gone off plan...and that was hard, because I couldn't resort to any of my "comfort" foods (and yes, I knew they wouldn't really help the migraine anyway), I haven't eaten much.  The nausea and head pounding meant I tried to stay mostly immobile and then taking pain meds to cope last night.  I think (knock on wood) that it's gone now.

mdraeger, your post made me cry a little.  Ok, granted, I'm still coming down from pain meds, so feeling a bit sappy, but I do feel a bit like a rock star for doing this...especially not resorting to sweet tea or chocolate yesterday...or even "simple" foods to help combat the nausea (like crackers).

Tina, I eat very little fruit or nuts.  It's because I have limited stomach capacity...when I eat protein and fat with some vegetables, I'm truly satisfied until the next meal.  The GOOD thing about Whole30 is that I'm at least starting to feel hungry again.  It's been a while since I've even felt true hunger, which is a good thing if you're simply trying to calorie restrict, it's not a good thing if you're trying to eat for health.  So I view the appetite as an improvement.

Michele, unless I cooked my vegetables to mush (which is why I often eat roasted vegetables since they're soft and I get more for the volume), I usually can't increase my volume.  For example, I can usually only eat 1/2 an apple at a time, or 1/2 an orange.  Or my serving of almonds is about 12 almonds...not a handful.  I tend to share a lot of food with my children.  LOL  I'll continue to try to find ways to increase the veggies, but I tend to think (someone tell me if I'm wrong please!) that the protein and fat comes first...as long as I'm getting some vegetables.

Here's hoping for a pain-free day!  I had to cancel 3 appointments because of that damn migraine.

Cindy

Hi Cindy -

I am sorry to hear about the migraines.  I sure hope you are pain free now.  I get them, I get it.  I had one for my first 11 days.  It sucked and it freaked me out.  I am not sure if this triggered a series of them (it was a series including a vestibular).

Today (day 12) is the first day I did not wake up with one and do not feel dizzy and out of it.  So while others have eluded to it on the forum, I haven't seen it explicitly spelled out that if you are a migraine sufferer, the headache part might hit you harder and for a longer duration.

Or at least that is my theory based on my experience.

I wondered if the volume of veggies recommended would be a challenge.  I am sorry to hear it as for me it's been one of the greatest pleasures of this way of eating.  While I have always been a huge veggie person, they just taste so darn good now.  I can't get enough.  I hope one of the moderators give you some guidance here. 

I did have bloating to start and wondered if it was the ibuprofen and migraine meds... I am sure they messed up any goodness that my body was experiencing.  I also am doing this to 1) change my relationship with food and 2) lose weight.  At my age (48) I expect the weight loss part to be pretty slow.  But previously being Paleo was the only thing that worked.  And it did take a bit to kick in so I am banking on the same here.

Hang in there!!! 

Yes, the headache is gone today.  I'm still not quite right (I get a bit gun shy when I've had one that bad for that long), so will be keeping things low key for today...hopefully will be back up to full speed tomorrow.

I am finding that I like some foods a lot more than I expected.  Roasted cauliflower, butternut squash, sweet potato...tonight I'm roasting these little "one bite" potatoes.  Vegetables aren't really a problem (although quantity is)...I have more trouble choosing proteins. 

Eh, I sound like a whiner.  I'm really not!  LOL  But this WILL sound whiney...I've spent so much of my life trying to make myself eat one way or another, that right now, Whole30 doesn't feel much different than all those other times.  Making myself eat MORE of the things I don't really want, restricting the things that I do want to eat (even healthy foods like fruit), etc...it's certainly not easy.  I also don't have nearly as much hunger to drive me to eat as others might...if I'm feeling hungry, all I need do is drink water and it goes away for a while. And that's NOT thirst disguised as hunger...it's a result of having a gastric sleeve.

So even though I'm keeping my food choices Whole30, I don't feel that I'm doing a very good job with the meal template.

Cindy

...it's a result of having a gastric sleeve.

So even though I'm keeping my food choices Whole30, I don't feel that I'm doing a very good job with the meal template.

Sorry if we have already covered this, but if you are having trouble eating enough at three meals because of the sleeve, you might want to just accept that, at least for now: make your meals fit the meal template in proportion, but relax on the "only three" part. If you could do four or five meals like this (just smaller) that would be a great way to play out these 30 days given your context.

One way to do this (I think this was moderator Bethany's awesome idea): Fix yourself a full template meal. Eat equally around the plate until you are full. Wrap that up and put it in the fridge. The next time you are hungry, take that plate and do the same thing again.

Although eating less frequently is better for hormonal balance, you have a condition that makes doing that less feasible. It's ok. You will likely still get great results. Hang in there.

Missmary, that's almost what I do.  Not quite the whole plate thing, but if I have a snack, it's usually more of the same.  For example, if I'm having tenderloin, roasted veg of some sort, and olives for lunch, then if I need a snack, it'll be a much smaller portion of the same thing because it's cooked and ready.

Missmary, that's almost what I do.  Not quite the whole plate thing, but if I have a snack, it's usually more of the same.  For example, if I'm having tenderloin, roasted veg of some sort, and olives for lunch, then if I need a snack, it'll be a much smaller portion of the same thing because it's cooked and ready.

This is a great way to go. The reason I suggest fixing the whole meal on your plate is often for people who are just needing to ease into a larger meal. Eventually doing it that way they find they can eat the whole plate. Your context may not allow for you to eventually adjust up like that, I'm not familiar enough with the sleeve to know.

Archived