Having trouble remembering the "why am I doing this?"

emantey1013

I am on week 1 of my second attempt at a Whole30. I tried it about a year ago and gave up after a week. I was so hungry and stressed out about remaining Whole30 compliant that I ended up in the hospital with pulled rib muscles from tensing. That night I ate a whole pizza. 

I have always had acid reflux and it does get better when I eat better. Lately, I have been traveling a lot so I felt my food intake wasn't as good as it could be. I decided to give Whole30 another try. This time I would just watch my stress level. 

To me, whole30 seems like a diet. I know every posts says it isn't but in a way it is. I also am completely on the side of Whole30 members who get annoyed when people tell them it is a diet. I obviously think Whole30 is an assume idea. In general I eat well and I exercise regularly. Diets stress me out. I get so nervous that if I slip up I will be dammed. 

This entire week I have been unusually bitchy to everyone around me. I eat and I feel full but I am not satisfied. I feel myself getting stressed out again. Reading all the comments on instagram and some on this forum, people say 'you'll get past that". Right now I am having trouble figuring out the "why". If at first through this program you are miserable and tired what is the point? 

I feel bad for my friends and family because I am kind of awful to be around right now. I guess I need some inspiration, because right now all I want to do is eat an entire jar of peanut butter. 

This was written by dcducks, Chief.

- the next time you look into the mirror I want you to realize that you are looking at your BEST friend. You might think that someone else is your best friend...but they aren't! Nobody supports you or wants you to succeed more than the person staring back at you. The person staring back is the one that you have said horrible things to, thought horrible things about, treated terribly.......things you would have never done to the person you think is your best friend.......if you had, your "best friend" would have left you. But the BEST friend in the mirror is still there. That friend is already at the weight you want to be.....but has been kind enough to carry the extra pounds that YOU gave it....and not complain. That friend is more than ready to assist you, encourage you, and smile back at you as you move through this program and get healthier. Realize your BEST friend and watch your life and health change! :) 

• Moderators

You shouldn't be hungry while you're doing your Whole30. If you are, you should eat more. .

Try to relax.  Most people start to feel better after the first week (have you checked out the timeline?) -- but the only way you're going to know if you will is if you stick to it. 

If you don't feel satisfied with your food, you may want to branch out and try new recipes, it may be a food boredom issue. Check out The Clothes Make the Girl or Nom Nom Paleo for some recipe ideas.

And you should probably sit down and make a list of why you want to do this. It could be that you want to prove to yourself that you can stick to something for 30 days, or it could be particular health issues you want to address, or you may want to find out if dairy or wheat actually do have any negative effects on you. Whatever reasons you have for doing it, sit down and write them out, and post that list where you can see it when you're having a rough day to remind yourself why it's important to stick to it.

Also, while most people have a kill-all-the-things phase in the first week or so, if you find that your mood doesn't improve, take a look at what you're eating. First, be sure you're really eating enough (you'll know you are if you can go 4-5 hours between meals and you're just starting to feel hungry at that point), and second, don't try to go too low-carb. Have at least a serving of some starchy veggie (like sweet potato or butternut squash) every day -- and if you're active, have a little more than that. It really can make a difference in your mood. If you have any questions about whether you're eating enough or too much or the right mix of things, you can always post a few days' worth of food here and get some feedback.

If you are really feeling overwhelmed with the thought of trying to stay compliant, you might benefit from incorporating the W30 rules one at a time, over the course of a few weeks, instead of diving right into a W30. This might be especially helpful if you have any history of disordered eating that trying to do a strict Whole30 might aggravate -- and if that's the case, you might find this article helpful. (And if it's not the case, don't be insulted that I suggested it or anything, it's just something that comes up for some people, if it applies to you, use it -- if it doesn't, ignore it.  :) )

Thanks Shannon. It is interesting because before I felt I didn't eat that much and felt full... now nothing makes me feel "full". Reading the timeline is helpful so thanks for the link to that. 

I don't live in my own place right now so making meals is frustrating, thus I eat what is easiest aka usually chicken and eggs which is kind of boring. I am not huge on cooking (I'm a baker) also why this is hard haha!

Thanks for the advice!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Maybe its not time for a W30?  What about "just" doing a "eat real food" plan for a while?  I think it may be easier to get your mind on board for that.  

While I think W30 is fantastic, it can be very easy to get a little to caught up in it and be so anxious about "failing" that it makes the whole experience unpleasant.  However, if you limit yourself to eating only real food - meaning something that you personally could grow or raise - you would be 90% of the way to a W30.  I can't really explain this idea too well but let me try...

Its easy to feel like W30 is a diet and that you are eating per rules laid out that you may or may not agree with.  But someone says you eat must eat that way, so you worry about it.  But, if you put W30 on the back burner for a while and just eat foods that "nature" makes it isn't so much of a diet and the logic behind it seems much clearer (at least to me).  The best choice you can make for your body is to give it foods that don't come from a factory.  Fruits, vegetables, meats.  When confronted with a pop tart or an apple it becomes less about not choosing the pop tart because its "bad" and more about choosing the apple because its "real".  Industrial oils, processed grains, etc... there is no way to really believe those foods are going to improve your health and make you feel better.  But real food... it makes you feel more alive.  So that is what you choose to eat - things that make you *better*.  The W30 is actually what made this train of thought much clearer to me.  The choices I make now are much less about "oh thats bad, I won't eat it" and much more "oh, real food is good for me, so that is what I want".  

Sorry, this probably isn't helpful advice for making it through a W30 but it might be a good transition step if you want to wait to start a W30... :)

Did you expect it to be easy? Inertia is a powerful thing.

Not sure that this comment is really constructive.  The OP is grappling with the fact that this WOE seems like a diet and the restrictions are stressing her out.  She's not crying "This is hard, waaah..."  She wants to solidify 'why' she is doing is and is looking for some help or as she said 'inspiration.'

Littlleg (maybe now is not the right time) and Shannon (make a list of 'why' you want to do this) both had great suggestions.  I don't have much to add other than I empathize and have felt some of the same things the OP has while doing a W30.

Good luck! :)

I think it's constructive in the sense that splashing cold water on one's face can be constructive.

LITERALLY every sentence of her post is negative.  (seriously, read each sentence)

She needs a pattern interrupt.

If you are really feeling overwhelmed with the thought of trying to stay compliant, you might benefit from incorporating the W30 rules one at a time, over the course of a few weeks, instead of diving right into a W30. 

Just a note that this suggestion of Shannon's is what has worked for me many times in various areas. Sometimes we need the strictness of a W30 and the abrupt changes that it might bring - but sometimes that much change is just too stressful. I've only done one W30 and it was relatively easy because I had gradually - over the two years before - made changes that brought me in this direction. If I had tried one years ago ... I don't know! It might have been fantastic and saved me a lot of time, or it might have made me crazy :)

Good luck to you!

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same thoughts mid way through my whole 30.  Now 10 months later, I can't imagine going back to my previous way of eating.   We just got back from a disney vacation where I ate quite a bit non-compliant.  My face broke out, I was constipated and feeling generally ucky.  i couldn't wait to get back home and get back to my 'diet'.

If you make it through the 30 days, you might find a new 'normal' in how you feel and your energy level.  For me, it was worth it!

Emantey1013: I felt the same way during my first week...I felt like a child having a tantrum...seriously. All you can do is try and complete it. It is 30 days...there may be unknown discoveries still to come. Dont stress..if you slip up, ask yourself why but dont judge yourself. The harder you are on yourself, the harder it will be. You want to eat peanut butter for the sugar. Sugar is addictive stuff so detoxing from it means having mood swings, cravings, grumpiness. The "why" you are doing it is entirely different for everyone really. Personally, I wanted to eat consistently better and have stable energy throughout the day. Remember why you wanted to do it. Im a huge stress ball so ive had to find ways to manage that. I used exercise in the past but that can be a stressor too. Be nice to yourself and do what you can :)

Archived