Unending Stomach Issues

shaihana

I'm two weeks into my Whole 30. I'm using Eatthismuch.com to make sure my macros in line. (I know you aren't supposed to count calories but I would prefer to have my bases covered with my macros) I have chronic gastritis. The first week I was having great bowel movements but now I am in pain after any time I eat. Apple cider vinegar will help for a little while but I am severely constipated and it feels like there is a bowling ball in my stomach. The gastritis is doing much better though. Heh. 

What I am eating

Breakfast - Turkey sausage and caramelized onion fritatta with one of our farm share apples

Lunch - Chicken Stew with loads of veggies (added gelatin to help coat my stomach), roasted butternut squash with pepita pesto

Dinner - Seared steak salad with spinach and balsamic caramelized onions, veggie detox green smoothie with pear, apple, carrot juice, parsley, ginger, celery

I'm getting about 30 grams of fiber a day, I eat plenty of healthy fat. I take probiotics. This is getting frustrating and would love any advice. 

Maybe try dropping the onions for a few days and see if you feel better? http://www.livestrong.com/article/470631-onions-and-indigestion/

Seeds can also cause stomach issues, so try avoiding any remaining pepita pesto for a bit as well.

Also, smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food instead of drink it, as chewing is more satiating.

And please try backing off of the macro tracking. :)   Use the recommended meal template, along with tuning into your satiety signals, for best results.

And please try backing off of the macro tracking. :)   Use the recommended meal template, along with tuning into your satiety signals, for best results.

Seconding this. Your body does not need a constant ratio of macros. Sometimes you need more carbs, sometimes more fat or protein. Really. Luckily, the body also lets you know what you need, but most people ignore these signals, especially if they have an idea of what they "think" is the right amount of something. Not tracking will help you pay more attention to the inherent signals your body will give you about what you should be eating. try it. the meal template is enough to make sure you don't get off track.

The issue with not tracking is that I plan every meal in advance and also cook for my boyfriend who eats twice as much as me to keep from going under 125lbs. I have to keep everything very strict for him so in turn my food is strict. I really appreciate you guys responding but I kind of feel like for the most part you guys are reciting doctrine.

Ill ease up off the seeds and onions for the next week and see if it helps.

I really appreciate you guys responding but I kind of feel like for the most part you guys are reciting doctrine.

Excuse me? It's true that we try to be consistent in our responses to let people know about the rules and recommendations of this specific program--it would be super confusing if we did not--but I also believe in the advice I am giving on a personal level (and I am quite sure the other moderators do too). Trust me, I know about counting--I spent YEARS counting before I found the whole30. I had spreadsheets upon spreadsheets trying to rationally understand and control my weight and health. Counting didn't work for me; whole30 did. That's why I'm here telling people about it. I would give the same advice to your boyfriend too, unless there is more context that we are missing. Why is he having trouble maintaining his weight? Is he eating whole30 as well? Are there health issues at play? Maybe we can help tweak his approach to make this a little less stressful for you guys.

Archived