New and starting Monday November 10th!

Guest Becky1971

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm REALLY nervous to eat until satisfied. It takes a lot to fill me up, which has been my problem with past "diets." I've never felt satisfied and the behavior is only sustainable for so long. Then, I get soooo hungry and I eat/crave everything in sight!  If anyone can provide some reassurance that if I truly stick to the approved foods I can eat til I'm full, I would greatly appreciate it. I already eat pretty clean, but the big step for me is now eliminating dairy. I have about 7-8 lbs. I would love to lose! Thanks all for your support!

Aimee,

Can I recommend the book Brain Over Binge? I read it while on my Whole 30, and it helped me realize that depriving yourself is what sets you up for all the craving. I never really belived it myself, but a 30 year eating disorder disappeared after doing the Whole 30 and reading the book. Even if you've never had disordered eating, I think it will change you the way you think about food.

And, I just never felt guilty about eating good food. It just fills you up so much faster! I never had an urge to binge on squash :)

I'm happy for that couple but what does that have to do with the Whole 30?  Anyhow.......Day 3 is in the bank for me.  I've noticed something about people, ie. coworkers, friends and family.  Some people actually put you down because you're trying to do something for yourself.  I have coworkers this morning asking me if I want a donut.  My brother shakes his head at me when I say I can't have any beer for the next 26 days.  And my ex wife who is a registered dietician is telling me that I'm depriving myself of essential food groups and that I'll gain the weight back.   I really think they're all jealous that someone has the vision and fortitude to better themselves health wise by trying to change old habits of bad food choices.  And becoming thinner than all of them!  Their negativity will not deter me.  Game on!

Happy Day 4!  I'm going to be totally honest, I kind of went into this whole 30 kicking and screaming.  I knew that I needed to reset the system but struggled to make the decisions to do so.  It was great to wake up this morning full of energy (before my alarm... and I'm not a morning person!), and clearer more radiant skin - a nice reminder of what good, real food does for your body.

Anyone have any great new recipes they have tried this week?  I'd love to hear!

Jeffrey17 - pretty sure that was spam :-)   I TOTALLY hear what you're saying - other people's reactions range from super supportive all the way down to downright destructive.  I can understand disappointment that I won't even TASTE the beer that my friend brewed himself (if he saves one for me I can have it in 26 days, so I didn't really indulge the pouting) I don't go in for being made fun of though.  I'm eating nutritious foods that I prepared myself and it's only for a month.

My choices do not typically affect anyone else - and whatever anyone says, eating this way is infinitely less risky than some "pills and powders" diets or doing a "juice cleanse" or god-forbid having surgery.     I think your theory of jealousy has merit.   I'm having dinner with a notorious sabotager on Friday - we've been friends for years and she is naturally much slimmer than I am, but anytime I try to clean up what I'm eating it's like it reminds her that she doesn't HAVE to, so she goes full out the other direction,sitting right across from me... "Don't mind me, I had a craving <giggle>"  eg:  I ask the waiter to not bring the bread basket and she chimes in asking him to bring it anyway.   I don't think it actually has anything to do with me, just her own internal psychosis.  So in the back of my head my mantra is "I forgive you.  You're being a terrible friend right now, but I forgive you" - works wonders.   I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

jeffrey & abigayle - I totally know what you're experiencing! The first whole 30 I did, my friends kept trying to sabotage me - including one trying to forcibly make me drink wine (granted she was a few glasses in already, but very much not appreciated).  My roommate kept asking, "so when are you going to eat real food again?" I laughed it off and told her which day I was on, but in honesty I knew that I WAS eating real food and having that solace was enough.  For this reason, I have elected to not tell any of my friends what exactly I am doing, for this reason.

I have found that too often friends (and even family) are jealous of when you're trying to make changes to better yourself, because either a) they don't want to change and change is scary or B) they don't believe they could actually complete something like the whole30, and therefore want to see you fail as well.  I love everyone's positive attitude!  Abigayle, I would suggest doing research before you go to the restaurant where you will be eating with Sabotage Sally, and make sure you don't go too hungry and are well hydrated.  For me, the biggest challenge to success is making sure I'm not starving or craving anything that's not whole30 compliant and the best way to ensure that is to make sure you're comfortable going into the meal. Jeffrey, I wouldn't take it too harshly that a coworker offered you a donut, it may have slipped his/her mind and didn't want to be rude in not offering you the office snack.  As for friends and family, it's easiest to explain to them why you are doing this, and ask for their support.  If they continue to be negative, cite that conversation and reiterate your request for support and  maybe even remind them that you are doing it, not them.  If they fail to do so, try best to ignore them...

And an important thing to keep in mind:

giphy.gif

Abigayle and Littlemiss.....good stuff!  I guess it's like this......support is nice to have whatever your endeavor is, however........you've got to eventually do it on your own.  Dig deep into that place that you only know about and just do it.  It feels great doing it now.  I want to know what it feels like on day 31.

I think we've got a really good group going here folks!

Littlemiss - I am not really a recipe person (I throw things together as I go) - I've had SO much fun cooking this week it's unbelievable - I work from home so that has given me a ton of flexibility, but mostly I'm inspired by these new and wonderful ingredients like coconut EVERYTHING and this huge emphasis on protein - that just wasn't part of my world before.   I do have to share the lunch I concocted today though:

Coconut Crusted Flounder - 

I dredged the fillet in a beaten 1 egg mixed with about a Tbls of Coconut Milk and a lot of my favorite spices and some lemon zest -then coated it in coconut flakes, and put it in a hot skillet with some heated coconut oil - it was glorious.   I had some grilled bell peppers and a spinach salad to go with it using dressing I made from apple cider vinegar, olive oil and scallions.  Next time I think there needs to be a bigger citrus element in this meal - maybe some grilled pineapple or something.

In other news - RedBirdMom was right, last night I had TWO different dreams where I was out and about and ate something mindlessly only to realize I'd forgotten about the Whole30!   As though that's even possible - I'm thinking about this all the time and getting more and more excited as time passes and I find more delicious things to eat.   I mean, who knew that just plain hazelnuts were THAT delicious?!  And why haven't I been making my own mayo my whole life??

I'm nervous that a crash is coming - so many people said that the first week was hell - but I've just not felt that.   Perhaps it's because I'm a bit of a hermit that works from home?  Tomorrow I have a business breakfast that's being catered by someone I couldn't get any details on (I'm going to eat before hand and try not to binge on fruit), then have to navigate lunch in the office, followed by dinner with Sabotage Sally - if I can make it through tomorrow I've got this month in the BAG!

on my first whole 20 (:) ) i didn't find the first week difficult as i was super motivated

It was near the end of the 2nd week when i started to struggle. (I deliberately ended after 20days as I was going home for the first time in 2 years and wanted to indulge in some home comfort foods). I'm now ending the first week of my whole 30(ish til christmas) and im still ding fine but i know next week, when the novelty wears off i will have demons to battle

Happy Friday and Happy Day 5 everyone!   I've successfully navigated 2 of the 3 big challenges of the day (yay!) and even though it would be SO nice to have a cocktail after work, I'm holding strong because I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AFTER 30 DAYS.  And if I give in to the temptations now, I'll never get to find out.   No way am I turning today into Day 0.

Also, I feel great today - I don't know how much of that is psychosomatic but I had to get up an hour earlier than normal this morning and I'm still super peppy.   At this rate I'm on track to bury my step goal for the day.     Actually, speaking of steps - do any of you use Jawbone UP?

I got through yesterday however it was a bit tougher.  My daughters wanted cheese and triscuits and the sharp cheddar smelled so freakin good.  But I was strong and got through it and munched on a few pieces of steak left over from dinner.  5 day and on to the 6th.  I'm a happy man.  So Abigayle........the sabateur wasn't a total buzz kill for you at lunch?  To everyone else don't stop doing what you're doing.  Keep it going.  There's light at the end of the tunnel.  

I made it through! Sabotage Sally thinks I'm insane, but no matter . I picked a Paleo friendly restaurant and got there early and had a great talk with the chef about leaving out the soy and the sugar as well - turned out I could have most things on the menu if I passed on the sauce/glaze/garnish. It was really delicious.

In other news, the novelty is wearing off a bit, I'm fairly certain that I've never in my life done this much cooking this many days in a row. I'm going to start having to make double portions so I can reheat later to save time. Any favorite dishes that "freeze beautifully" that you'd recommend? I learned this week that you can freeze an omelette!

Glad to see everyone going strong! Abi - if you get the book Well Fed, she talks about doing a "cookup" on Sundays, and then reheating and jazz to the dishes during the week. I've done components of it, but not the whole thing. My husband and I keep saying we will!

Dark - I agree that end of week 2 has it's challenges. It should also be the time when "tiger blood" kicks in though, so hopefully that will offset the challenges with planning and cooking.

I'm on a business trip, and was feeling overwhelmed. I just don't want to deal with the scrutiny all the time.  My husband is along (we own our business together) and is whole 30 with me much of the time, but he does a little more off-roading (translation: wine drinking).  He called ahead to the hotel and asked that all of my meals be sugar free, dairy free, and gluten free. Not sure if that will cover it, but it's a good head start. I know if I say I'm off the plan, there will be way too much opportunity to go crazy, so I'm sticking with it. I need to get comfortable with the fact that I'm eating something different than the other folks. I know from experience that no one cares what I'm eating!!!!

Here's to day 7!

So happy to actually see results.  Hard to believe I'm 25% complete on my first Whole 30!  I don't think I realized how bad I was really eating.  I see how my brother and his family eat and it's not good.  It's a ton of processed food.  They bought KFC last night night and I could have none of it.  I had chix fajita meat and pico de gallo for the 2nd night in row and was so proud of myself for not going that way.  I'm proud of myself for the focus and dedication that I've had.  I hope everyone is feeling it also.  Happy Day 8 everyone!  Eat well!  

Welcome to Day 8 everyone!    

What kind of results are you seeing?    I noticed the other day that the constant low-level ache in my right knee (injured 20+ years ago) had abated to virtually nothing, even when going down the stairs!   This is doubly awesome because the temperature plunged here and normally I'd be hobbling a little bit.   Also, now that those silly stress dreams seem to have gone away, I've been sleeping exceptionally well and waking up better than normal as well.   Very cool indeed.

Also, on Saturday Amazon brought me a spiral slicer and I have been introduced to the awesomeness of zoodles! Turns out my homemade Meat Sauce was already Whole30 Compliant, so i just needed to find something to put it on :-)

Sounds like everyone is doing great, good work!  I had a crazy food dream this weekend, I woke up feeling disoriented and slightly guilty, but then remembered it was just a dream :)

Let me know how the spiral slicer goes, I've been toying with the idea of buying one, but have such limited space (live in a tiny apartment).  I also just bought a new toy, a slow cooker.  I wanted one for a while now, and saw so many great recipes during my first whole 30 that required one, so I decided to go for the plunge and made pulled pork last night, really tasty!  I was eager to try it this morning, so I went with the idea of meal one, instead of breakfast and had a plate of my creation and delicious roasted rosemary sweet potato fries I made last night... they were to die for.  Highly suggested with thanksgiving around the corner (I'll post recipe below)

Redbird Mom - I know how you feel, I travel every week for work!  I try and stock up on hardboiled eggs, a lot of places sell them prepackaged, as well as fruit, veggies, nuts, and scout out if a chipotle is near by (since they have whole 30 compliant options!)

Roasted Rosemary Sweet Potato "Fries"

Preheat oven for roasting (I was somewhere between 400-500)

- 3 sweet potatoes, washed well

- 2 T olive oil

- salt & rosemary as desired

1. Line cookie sheet with tin foil

2. Marinate the rosemary and salt in the olive oil

2. Slice sweet potatoes as thinly as possible, I sliced them into small medallions

3. Combine all ingredients in a bowl to coat the sweet potatoes

4. Transfer to cookie sheet.  Try to make sure none of the potato slices are over lapping, if possible - this will yield a crispier batch (yum!)

I cooked them for about 30-40 minutes, flipping slices half way through and sprinkled additional salt on top.  They were amazing, a great pre-workout snack or side dish!

Sounds awesome littlemiss!  The spiral slicer I bought is just a little hand held one - smaller than a soda can, so it fits nicely in the drawer with all my other misc. kitchen implements.   I attacked a cucumber with it this morning just for the heck of it, and now i need to figure out what to do with a whole bowl of cucumber springs.  ;-)

-A

Hi ladies.  I hope everyone had a great Day 8.  I really feel like I'm in the groove now.  Yesterday at work someone brought in a cookie tray.  All sorts of different cookies for Christmas.  It was a sample tray so you could try them and then place orders.  Man they looked really good.....and with a cup of coffee....but no I didn't.  I'm focused and it feels great.  I watched the Steelers last night while chowing on raw veggies and grilled flank steak.  Bring on Day 9, I'm so ready.  Good luck for the rest of today.

Ditto Jeffrey!   This feels like old hat now and I'm starting to wonder why I ever liked that heavily processed stuff in the first place (because it was easy, duh).   As I mentioned before I'm a bit of a hermit, so I haven't really been exposed to too much off-plan food in the last 9 days, but the fast food commercials on TV last night actually turned my stomach a little.

Have a great day 9 everyone!

Woohoo! 1/3 the way done.  I must say cravings for crap really have abated, which is really nice.  I would love to hear if anyone has come up with some whole30 hacks thus far?  Some of my favorites include the following:

- keeping grab n go fruits (apples, oranges, bananas), larabars, and nuts on hand in case I get pulled into a meeting and can't get lunch

- hard boiling a dozen eggs and keeping them in the fridge for an easy addition to a salad, meal, or on the run breakfast

- adding cinnamon to my black coffee, gives it a nice flavor.

Freezing an omelette has been the biggest hack I've figured out....that and cinnamon in my coffee but you already knew that :-)

I'm really still trying to tackle breakfast.   I've started waking up hungry (yeah!) but I am not very smart or coordinated for the first hour and I miss how easy it was to just eat a banana and go...  I know that doesn't work but I'm getting sick of eggs and I just don't want to cook anything in the morning...  eventually I'll get to a "meal 1" mentality, and start having left overs from something other than what I just ate for dinner.. but I'm so not there yet.   Anybody have any breakfast ideas that don't involve eggs that a zombie could make in the morning?  

Day 10 is almost in the books people!

Archived