New and starting Monday November 10th!

Guest Becky1971

We've all quieted down - must be that this doesn't all feel so new and freaking anymore (and I'm not spending every minute thinking about it).   I've had fish for breakfast the last couple of days - it takes more cooking than I'd like...but that's on me.   I just don't like reheated left overs.    In other news, out of desperation needing lunch in a hurry I managed to make two servings of a chili(?) by dumping a can of tomato paste, a can of diced tomatoes and chilies and some vegetable broth into about 3/4lb of browned ground beef and going to town on the spices (three cheers for cumin and Old Bay!)  

I've got another date with Sabotage Sally tonight - this one was trickier because the neighborhood I had to work with was short on restaurants, but a picked a seafood place (i figure, worst case I can eat raw oysters and maybe some steamed mussels) - I studied the menue and came up with some options, then called during the downtime between lunch and dinner - they let me speak directly with the chef and we came up with 3 different options that take only TINY modifications (like no dressing or no sauce) and he even offered to make me a version of their vinaigrette with out the sugar!   I'm pretty tickled with this place and I've never even set foot inside.

Day 12 is almost in the books folks!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give you a ton of credit Abi for calling ahead to a restaurant.  That's dedication.  And yes, being consumed with the process is easing for me.  I don't have to think about it as much now.  I'm just doing it.  I'm venturing out with friends to see a blues band this afternoon.  The bar we're going to has grilled wings which I'm stoked about.  And I volunteered to be the designated driver for an afternoon and evening of fun.  I guess I kind of spoke with a restaurant I'm going to tomorrow.  My sister's....lol.  She's supporting me and is going to make a meal of fish and veggies.  Can't wait.  Keep it going and have fun at dinner tonight. Happy day 13!   :D  

One more day until hump day!  Went out as the DD last night.  Had a great time with my friends.  They were having a blast getting trashed and I was having fun watching them.  I never even felt tempted to have a drink.  Had a few grilled wings at the bar and a grilled chicken salad after, while they scarfed down two pizzas.  It feels great to set your mind to something and do it.  Happy day 14. :P  

I can't believe it's Day 15.  I'm still extremely focused and to see the results of how I've been treating my body is noticeable to everyone.  I feel so good.  I hope all of you feel the same and are doing as well.  I've entertained the idea of going for 40 days instead of 30.  Right now I'm yes I can do that, no problem.  We'll see as I get closer.  Happy day 15 everyone.

I know - half way done!    I got through my most challenging day yet!   On Saturday I went to my buddy's annual Friendsgiving - it was a potluck so I brought two dishes that I could eat and nibbled on the veggie tray... but I managed to decline a room full of cheese, and the most beautiful wine and booze selection that I'd ever seen.  (I didn't even eat the Larabar that I brought for dessert!)  Because, you know what?   None of that stuff is special.   If I really want it, I'm a financially sound adult, and I can go get any or all of those things after December 9th (if I REALLY want a Turducken, I'll make one without basting it in country crock too)

Oh - and NO SMOKING!   That last one was much easier since I wasn't drinking.  I have not been a regular smoker for years, but I tend to smoke one or two after I've had a few drinks, and especially around my college friends.     I had a lot of fun and didn't have a hangover in the morning.    I really haven't noticed any big changes in the way I feel or the way that I look, but I'm excited about the habits I'm forming/breaking.  I too am thinking of stretching this out for a little while longer than 30 days... honestly though, I don't think I'm ever going back to they way things were.  Grains, sugar and dairy are just not going to have a place in my house - once and awhile out or at a friend's house is one thing, but I have total control over my own house, and I don't really miss that stuff.

I'm roasting a duck (just clarified butter and sage I think - maybe a little apple cider reduction), butternut squash soup, roasted red potatoes with rosemary and garlic, broiled asparagus in white truffle oil and some sort of berry/coconut milk concoction for dessert once I make up my mind, or maybe baked apples.  I'll have to resist a pumpkin pie, a green bean casserole and some canned biscuits, but honestly I think MY menu is awesome enough that that won't be a problem.   Happy holidays folks!

PS:  My clothes fit differently, and yesterday my best friend said that I was glowing AND my secretary asked what had changed because my neck looked slimmer (a weird-ish observation to be sure, but I'll take it!)

Well damn!  Glad you had a good time though.  Carry these good new habits through the rest of the holidays and you can get back on the wagon in January (when the rest of the modern world is doing the same thing!)   I have to say, the booze is the hardest part - but honestly, if i'd been drinking on Saturday there is no way I would have stayed out of the bar food that my family kept ordering during rivalry game day.  

Thanks for logging back in and being honest Jeff - I've been feeling a little lonely in this thread of late!  :-)  I've got 9 days left and the hardest part is over, so I'm going to blow this Whole30 out of the water!

-Abbie

I'm gonna be good until this Saturday.  There's a Santarchy Beer Crawl here in the burgh and I just must go.  Then'll I'll be good again until the 19th.  I don't plan on going crazy over the Holidays but I wanna eat what I wanna eat.  Then like you said I'll be beack strong on January 2nd.  That said have you seen the documentary called Food Inc.?  If you haven't take a look.  I saw it on Netflix but I'm sure you might even be able to get it on youtube.  It ties right in with the Whole 30 and the paleo diet.  It's educational and enlightening.   

Yes!   I'm doing great and feeling good!   My dad always said that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit and I SWEAR that's been the case for me.   A few days ago it all just clicked - none of this really feels like work anymore, and I'm pretty convinced that I'll stick with this for a long time - probably only making exceptions for restaurants and booze  (because I really miss booze on the weekends, and I hate being the neurotic one at the restaurant...   I don't mind asking a few questions or avoiding 90% of the menu, I just hate having to quiz the chef and get them to change the way they prepare the other 10% of menu)

Thanks for checking up on me!   I thought our little pack had completely fizzled!

I'm going with a group of 10+ people to a Hibachi restaurant for a friend's birthday tonight.   The restaurant said I could bring my own oil, which is cool - but avoiding rice and soy and sugar is going to be virtually impossible.   I can order sashimi, but I might have to resort to ordering raw veggies!  I'm seriously considering eating dinner before I go....   I will not miss this part!

Another thought - I have every intention of doing another whole30 after the holidays...  (possibly for Lent?)   I'll have to schedule around some business trips that I've got, but if you want to sync up again, I'm all for it!  

I think I'm most excited to get on a scale and measure my waist come Wednesday morning....  I feel different, but I'd love to have some concrete numbers to brag to my family about - particularly after surviving that Thanksgiving weekend with them and all of their beer and nachos and pies!   :blink:

I have an annual sales meeting in February so I'm going to go with a strict round 2 starting January 2nd.  That said, I think overall on a day to day basis that this is how I want to eat.  It's just healthier....way healthier.  And absolutely I'll go another round with you whenever you're ready around lent.  It's very cool to share success and stories with someone attemtping to do the samething.  Just email me when you're ready.  [email protected]  Anyhow keep up the great work!  Have a great time at the Hibachi restaurant!  

I'm great!  Thanks for checking in!   I'm ready to be done, but mostly because I want to check my results and start planning for the future - I've got a plan to reintroduce things slowly over the next two weeks - I'm looking forward to having wine with dinner this friday night, and cream in my coffee on Sunday!

So you did it!  What kind of results did you get?  How was the coffee with cream this morning??????  Let me know.  I wound up losing 18 pounds.  Pretty happy with that.  Gonna be good through the holidays and go for rd 2 on Jan 2.  Happy hump day Ab.

Archived