Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites

Diamond_Doula

I would consider these in the same realm as lara bars: technically compliant (assuming you omit the vanilla) but not the best choice. Dates are a sweet bomb. You can get better, longer-lasting and more sustainable energy from protein and fat and vegetables.

Here are some ideas: hard boiled eggs, veggie sticks (cut up bell peppers, carrot, lightly steamed green beans or broccoli spears), compliant roast beef or chicken breast, cold roasted cubes of sweet potato, tuna or chicken salad made with your own home-ade mayo, guac, olives, a packet of coconut butter, a thermos of soup, epic bars or compliant jerky...basically anything you might eat at meals can be put into a container. I've brought kale salad on planes before. I'm sure you could make it work in a hospital.

• Moderators

This has been addressed before, here, and here

My concern would be, if you have a whole pan of this around, are you likely to eat it even when you're not hungry, or eat it instead of real food even when real food is available? (I say this as someone who, on my first W30, prepared a completely W30 compliant meal, took one bite, said, I don't want this, and had a Larabar instead -- and thus determined I cannot keep them in the house.)

There are other options for snacks that would be less likely to feed your sugar dragon -- nuts packaged in single-serving sizes, hardboiled eggs, meatballs, carrot and celery sticks, roasted or baked sweet potatoes. All those things could be carried easily in a small cooler or insulated lunch box, and while they may taste better warm, they're absolutely edible cold. 

Archived