Help me understand - grains, legumes, nuts and seeds

leahcarn

I lent my copy of ISWF to my parents recently, and they are slowly reading their way through it. I was talking about it with mum recently, and she raised a query I didn't know how to answer, about why seeds are ok, when legumes are not, and they are seeds, and grains are also seeds, but not ok, yet nuts are encouraged. 

Help me explain it, please

In  ISWF, they talk about grains and legumes in the same chapter. In short, grains have a propensity to be overconsumed, they lack nutrient density, and can be poorly digested/create inflammation. Legumes are not micro-nutrient dense, and can cause gas, bloating and dysbiosis.

Nuts and seeds are examples of compliant fats.  Best choices (because they're high in monounsaturated fat) are cashews, hazelnuts and macadamias. Those to be eaten in moderation (no more than a few times a week) include almonds, brazil nuts, pecans and pistachios. Seeds and walnuts are to be limited (as more than half the fat comes from polyunsaturated fats): eat occasionally or treat like a condiment sprinkled on salads, vegetables or main dishes.

I would also clarify that nuts are not exactly encouraged. They are an ok choice for a fat/garnish, but not intended to be the mainstay of the diet for some of the exact reasons you mentioned.

One way I like to think about it is in terms of nutrient density. Grains and legumes are basically "filler." Vegetables can give you the same energy+a lot more beneficial nutrients. Add to that the fact that many modern people have developed sensitivities to grains like wheat and corn (likely from over-consumption of specific strains) it makes sense to eliminate them and diversify our carbohydrate sources.

Grains are the seeds of grasses, not just regular seeds. I get sick from all kinds of grains, wheat being the worst, but everything on this list makes me really sick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolamin Grains have a protective coating around their outside and grains are bad for humans when raw. For me, wholegrain anything is the worst, it has more protective coating and my gut can't cope with it. GMO grains can be extra rough as they're bred to deter pests and they do that via their coating. GMO wholegrains are just a whole world of pain for me.

Beans are the seeds of legumes (peas, lentils, soybeans and chickpeas). Legumes contain a lot of nutritional goodness, but also a lot of anti-nutrients like Lectins beans have been soaked and rinsed during preparation, which reduces (but does not eliminate) their lectin load. 

Lectin has also been linked to Leptin Resistance. Ricin is a deadly biological warfare agent, made from castor beans. Lots of natural plants have things we shouldn't ingest in them. Red kidney beans raw have such a crazy amount of lectins, you can get poisoned: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-lectins Beans should not be eaten raw, with the exception of sprouted beans, which are really no longer seeds, but plants as they metabolise their coatings.

Most of what we call nuts are tree nuts, so they are seeds from trees. Ground nuts are usually legumes (like peanuts). There are nut allergies and reactions to nuts as they contain things like enzyme inhibitors, tannins and phytic acid. Almonds contain enzyme inhibitors, but when soaked, the almond senses the moisture, sheds it's skin and releases the enzymes (this is why you throw the soaking water away). Some people have a reaction to cashews due to contamination, the shell of the cashew is toxic and if it gets on the nuts, it can make you sick, roasting is recommended. Hazelnuts and brazil nuts do not have the same enzymes as almonds. http://paleoleap.com/are-nuts-and-seeds-healthy/ The plus side of tree nuts are the excellent minerals like copper and manganese. Macadamias are very low in antinutrients.

Some seeds are flower seeds, like sesame seeds, poppy seeds and sunflower seeds.

Lots of scientific plant defence geekery here:

http://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/intropp/topics/Pages/OverviewOfPlantDiseases.aspx

Seeds and nuts are also the inside part of a complete thing protected by a shell.  Therefore, there is no need for bran or husk on seeds and nuts, they are defended by their shells.  Grain bran contains phytic acid that reduces nutrient digestibility. Legumes mess with your flora.

For a deeper dive, suggest they read Wheat Belly and its sequel Wheat Belly Total Health.  It's much more solid and less contested than Grain Brain, and it digs into the science without the science-y disclaimers.  I was on the fence about grain reintroduction, but WB and WBTH ended that.  "Seeds of grasses" is a term repeated throughout Dr. Davis' books, as Praxis uses the term above.  We ate grass seed out of desperation, and these are not desperate times.

GMO OMG, on Netflix at the moment, also has some interesting coverage.

Archived