Carb Flu on Day 20?

I haven't felt much different on my Whole 30. I plan to do it for 90 days. I never got the carb flu, but am wondering if I have it now. I'm on Day 22, and symptoms started on Day 20. I'm very achy and tired and just want to nap. My trainer suggested that, because I ate healthy before my Whole 30, that it could take longer for me to get the carb flu. Is that true? Or does it always occur early on? I'm kinda hoping it is the carb flu because I don't know why I never got it and want my body to experience the benefits of Whole 30. I figure getting the carb flu is all part of the equation. So, my question is, do people ever get the carb flu late?

• Administrators

LOL, I've never heard of anyone WANTING the carb flu!  You can have whatever results you'll have even if you didn't suffer the low carb flu. 

As I understand it, the carb flu is when your body reduces its dependence (expectation of) on carbohydrates as fuel and converts over to fat burning and that typically happens pretty close to the beginning when folks make a drastic diet overhaul. Did you change or tweak anything since the beginning of your Whole30 that might've contributed to this? Reduce/eliminate fruit that you may have been eating at the beginning? Reduce or forget to serve starchy carbs?

Also, don't forget that not every twinge and whinge is Whole30 related although it is easy to focus on it because this is such an intense program.  Cold and flu season is upon is so it's possible you might be legitimately sick. Are you entering or approaching your menstrual cycle? That can hit harder than normal when on Whole30 as well and requires extra rest, extra starchies and extra compassion for your body.

Archived